Start by marking “Edge of War (Red Dragon Rising, #2)” as Want to Read:
Edge of War (Red Dragon Rising, #2)

Edge of War (Red Dragon Rising #2)

CIA officer Mara Duncan is on assignment in bomb-torn Hanoi. Her task: get scientist Josh MacArthur and a seven-year-old witness to Chinese atrocities in Vietnam out of the country safely. They are pursued by a relentless Chinese monk turned commando who can call on the entire Chinese secret service in Vietnam for help. Their escape is further complicated when SEALs, who a ...more
Kindle Edition
Published (first published November 23rd 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Edge of War, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Edge of War

Mike (the Paladin)
Okay enough. I'm not going to finish this. For the benefit of those who hate it when I rate books I didn't finish I won't even rate it. I was really ready to just remove it from my books altogether but for you who read my review of the first and saw this on my "currently reading shelf" I will note why I'm putting it aside.

This one was written well after the first...recently enough so that the phrase "Global Warming" has been shown to be incorrect (or to use the word in the books stretched and st
Jerome
Jun 30, 2012 Jerome rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you read the first book in this series then you have pretty much read this one except the chase is through cities and not jungles as much and the scientist doesn't come off as a whiny crybaby like he did in the first book. Of course any real action takes place near the end, just like the first book. As a matter of fact, you can skip the first 100 pages, because other than some Vietnamese Soldiers getting killed by the SEAL team nothing much goes on.

The characters are weak, with the exception
Lisa Ramseyer
Harraja06
Oct 01, 2014 Harraja06 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Red Dragon Rising Edge of War by Larry Bond did not keep my interest until a couple hundred pages in. The last fifty pages were packed with exciting action, such as a river escape past a Vietnamese gun boat. However, the rest of the book had some action but it could have been copied and pasted from the first book, except with the setting being in a metropolitan area instead of a jungle. I gave this book four stars because even though it was cliche-filled and a replica of the first book it evolve ...more
John
Jul 02, 2013 John rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Ugh. Basically take the run 'n gun of the first novel in the series and put it in an urban environment instead of a jungle one. Dr. McArthur just can't seem to get the U.S. government proof of Chinese war crimes, despite the fact it's 2015 and he's in a major metropolitan city. Just upload the footage to YouTube, dude.

Also, can I just say that McArthur falling in love with the standoffish CIA agent who is trying to save him is the worst sort of spy novel cliche?

Doubly disappointed because Major
Nigel
Aug 14, 2016 Nigel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In this the second instalment of the Dragons Rising quartet we follow on the ongoing struggles of Mara to get Josh home so that he can testify that China are the aggressor it their incursion into Vietnam was pre-emptive and not retaliatory. Mara, Josh and the SEALS are pursued across Vietnam as the struggle to find a suitable location for them to leave the country.
Meanwhile in US the president is struggling with the economy and cannot get any support for his stance on China. There is a debate
Lee
The continuation of the Red Dragon series finds Josh Macarthur and Ma along with their CIA handler and the Navy Seals trying to make it out of Vietnam before the Chinese invasion is finished. The US liaison Major Zeus is trying to come up with ways to keep the Chinese at bay. Very similar to the first book and the overall storyline of the series only gets moved along slightly and mainly in the last 100 pages or so.
Tom Tischler
CIA officer Mara Duncan follows her most grueling assignment yet. She must
get scientist Josh MacArthur and a 7 year old witness to Chinese atrocities in
Vietnam out of the country. They are being relentlessly pursued by a Chinese monk
turned commando who has the entire Chinese secret service in Vietnam helping him.
The story in this one is pretty good but I would have preferred a little more action.
I gave it a 3.
Pamila
Feb 03, 2017 Pamila rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: million-pages, 2017
Two main story lines and both were fast paced and interesting. Seals, C.I.A and Chinese atrocities always makes for a good, fast story.
Zach Ulibarri
Feb 22, 2014 Zach Ulibarri rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Even if you could eat caviar every day, would you really want to? Sometimes you just want a cheap slice of pizza.

These books are not good. They're horribly cliche and often too long for such a simple story. That doesn't mean they're not fun even as you roll your eyes at the predictability of the plot.

Mike Crofts
May 02, 2015 Mike Crofts rated it did not like it
A lot of words, little story. The plot was weak and fractured, and what little story there was lacked cohesion. Skip this book and try another.

Walter Straus
Started off with a lot of promise and went South quickly. It is as if he doesn't really have a story, and just has his characters meander around getting in and out of trouble. Not very interesting or compelling.
Mark
Follow up to Shadows of War...The continuing story of Mara Duncan and Josh MacArthur's escape from Vietnam to bring the true story of China's invasion...to be followed by Shock of War...interest and perceptive as to what the feared climate change can bring to the SE Asian tinderbox!!!
Chris
Jul 26, 2013 Chris rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Talking about the series of 4 books. It is an interesting story, but not 4 books worth. Some things have a lot of technical complexity, but at other times I wonder if I'm reading a young adult novel. I read the 4th book first, so I feel trapped to read the other 3.
Roy
Sep 08, 2011 Roy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Ya know...I saw this in my book list and I, for the life of me, cannot remember reading it. It must not have been very good though because I only gave it two stars. I don't think it's in my library for me to go back & look at it. Oh well...
Matt Gardner
Apr 30, 2014 Matt Gardner rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Second book out of four. Good series.
Mark
I for got I read this months ago when I checked it out...a real "Perils of Pauline" escape story...fun!
Jim Moffett
Shelves: 2013-new
SM
Clint
Feb 07, 2012 Clint rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It started slow, but I really started getting into it halfway through. Looking forward to the next book.
Bubba61909
Jan 27, 2011 Bubba61909 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was an amazing series of books. If you like alternate, futuristic books this will be for you.
Sheldon Lehman
Mar 11, 2011 Sheldon Lehman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't like it quite as good as the first one in the series. The middle section meanders a bit.
Mike
Dec 14, 2011 Mike rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fast-paced with intriguing characters and a plausible geopolitical military scenario. Bogged down a little about 2/3 through, but picked up with some real breath holding action at the end.
Sabion
Sabion rated it liked it
Jan 31, 2014
Doug
Doug rated it really liked it
Feb 14, 2012
Düsendübel
Düsendübel rated it it was amazing
Jul 12, 2015
Jonathan
Jonathan rated it really liked it
Mar 09, 2013
Chris
Chris rated it really liked it
Nov 09, 2016
Josue Lecodet
Josue Lecodet rated it it was amazing
Jun 06, 2016
Brian Vollmer
Brian Vollmer rated it liked it
Jul 21, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Pandora's Legion (Harold Coyle's Strategic Solutions, Inc., #1)
  • Combat
  • Primary Target
  • Domino Theory (Rogue Warrior, #15)
  • WW III
  • The Shark Mutiny (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #5)
  • Sea of Shadows
  • The Renegades (Michael Parson & Sophia Gold, #3)
  • Running the Maze (Kyle Swanson Sniper, #5)
  • Seal Team One
  • The Last Line: A Novel
19636
Larry Bond is the author of several bestselling military thrillers, including Crash Dive, Cold Choices, Dangerous Ground, Red Phoenix and the Larry Bond’s First Team and Larry Bond’s Red Dragon Rising series. He was a naval officer for six years, serving four on a destroyer and two on shore duty in the Washington DC area. He's also worked as a warfare analyst and antisubmarine technology expert, a ...more
More about Larry Bond...

Red Dragon Rising (4 books)
  • Shadows of War (Red Dragon Rising, #1)
  • Shock of War (Red Dragon Rising, #3)
  • Blood of War (Red Dragon Rising, #4)