Start by marking “Magic & Mischief” as Want to Read:
Magic & Mischief

Magic & Mischief

4.23 of 5 stars 4.23  ·  rating details  ·  429 ratings  ·  31 reviews
Homoerotic stories involving griffons, demons, dragons, wizards, and thieves. In The Dragon's Treasure, a dragon obsessed with cleanliness quietly pines over a regular customer to his shop. In The Selkie No One Wanted, a selkie who is nothing like his beautiful siblings winds up helping the fisherman he has long admired. A demon finds himself dealing with two troublesome h ...more
Published August 31st 2010 by Less Than Three Press (first published August 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Magic & Mischief, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Magic & Mischief

Deeze
A very enjoyable collection from Megan Derr.

I’m far to lazy to review each story individually but I particularly enjoyed The Spawn, a delightfully humorous tale and Quest which played to my hurt comfort addiction.

My least favourite would be Mad Finnegan, purely on the incest grounds, but still an interesting story, I just pretended they were not really brothers lol.

Overall recommended to all who enjoy Megan Derr’s Mystical universe.
Carissa
I'm pretty much up to reading whatever the hell Megan Derr wishes to write. And I love her short stories, and adore her dragons (in whatever form they may take), so this was pretty much going to be a hit no matter what. And on rereading it, I found I loved it just as much as when I first bought it. Wouldn't mind if some of these shorts were expanded into longer versions either.

There were some pretty obvious formatting errors, though, so that did drop the rating down a bit. Sometimes a space in
L-D
This was a wonderful fairy tale anthology written by one of my favorite authors, Megan Derr. While all of these stories are short and I would love further development in almost every one, I still enjoyed them. I am just sorry that the readings were over so quickly! Overall, these are fun stories and give you more of a fairy tale ending that is nice on the romance, and very light on the explicit descriptions (with the excepction of Mad Finnegan).

The Dragon's Treasure [5 stars]: Tate is a dragon w
Ami
Average (total stars / 8 stories) = 3.28 stars

Favorites: The Quest, Making Dragon Stew, The Innkeeper's Story

----------------------------------------------

The Dragon's Treasure: 3.5 stars
Tate was a grumpy dragon who quietly pining over a demon, Macklin. I found this set-up to be adorable. I loved Megan Derr's grumpy characters! Plus dragon and demon?? We need more of that kind of couple ^^. My complaint was the part with the sorcerer was a bit rushed and the 'action' part to be lacking punch.

The
Julesmarie
Nobody does fantasy/fairy-tale M/M like Megan Derr. This was such a fun collection of stories. I loved how many of them interconnected, so we got to see the same characters reappearing in later stories.

I loved the way magic works in this world, and the various magicians were delightful. My favorite unique approach to magic was in the last story where the spells were woven into hair or wrapped around arms and then activated with words when they were needed. Very cool idea, and one it would be fun
DayDreamer
Not at all what I expected. A nice change of pace, compared to what I've been reading recently.
And it's a book with freaking fairy tales! Do you know how long it's been since the last time I read fairy tales? Because I honestly can't remember.

My favourites so far:
- Intense. I loved it.
The Quest
The Selkie No One Wanted
Mammarella
A collection of cute bedtime stories :)
Final score 3.5

The Dragon's Treasure: 2.5 stars

The Selkie No One Wanted - 3.5
Half point for unusual shifters

The Spawn: 2.5

Mad Finnegan: 2.5

Making Dragon Stew - 4 stars

The Innkeeper's Story - 3.5 - Loved older characters

The Quest: 4.5

Spellbound: 4
Tailtiu
I really loved every story of this book.
There were many smiles, some laughing and a few tears.

Kendra
At times I found it took a lot for me to get through some of the stories but this was mainly because I don't typically like the fantasy/magic genre. The first few stories dragged a bit for me but I really loved the last half of the stories. I did like the anthology as a whole, though, and liked that it was made up of a bunch of short stories. Where there was one or two that I didn't connect with, there were others that I loved.

The Dragon's Treasure-This wasn't my favorite of the set but I did en
Lily
I really loved this anthology. There's quite a bit of humor throughout and the characters are likable and interesting which made the stories entertaining as well as fun to read. This collection is all M/M although the sex is very low-key. One of the stories deals with incest (brothers) and so may not be for everyone but overall this was a really great read.
Jilrene ♥
A cool collection of short stories. I rounded up to 4 stars, it's more of a 3.5, but the three related stories made it seem longer. Something like that.
Mandi
I love Megan Derr's writing. Really enjoyed all the stories offered here. Highly recommended!
Sian
So ridiculously sweet and funny. Feel good doesn't even begin to describe :D
Alli
Loved every single story, they were fantastic
Curtis
I typically enjoy Megan Derr's work and am all about m/m romance fantasy stories, so this anthology of stories sounded like it would be right up my alley. And while it was okay overall, I feel like it fell short of my expectations. Several of the stories take place in the same universe - separated by other stories in between - but there wasn't any clear way this was indicated so it was confusing at times to go "oh that's the same name - wait, this is the guy who was mentioned in the background t ...more
Teetee
I love, love, LOVE this author and this was a wonderful read for me! This collection of stories kept revisiting the characters I came to love in my favorite stories within the whole (if that makes sense). There are about 15 or so works all together, all short, mostly maybe 20 pages and I would say 12 of the 15 are solid hits. I also liked how the writer dispersed her modern works in with the fantasy world (this also may have been great editing, so kudos to whomever put this together, it was very ...more
Brooklyn
I really enjoyed each of the stories in this book. I struggle with fantasy as a m/m romance genre, not sure why. But this one was very enjoyable. None of the books really delved too deeply into traditional fantasy so I was able to enjoy them without getting lost in the detail of the fictional world. I liked that several of the stories were related. It sort of brought them together and make them pieces of the whole. I think The InnKeeper's Story was the one I disliked the most. There was nothing ...more
xiin
loved the collection of stories, particularly the ones about dragons & the ones revolving around Mad Finnegan
ms.beau
Wow, this book of adult fairy tales was like a bag of jelly beans: colorful little tastey bits I couldn't stop nibbling! It was a fun read.
Kira
The Dragon's Treasure - 5 stars
I absolutely loved Tate. He is by far one of my more favorite characters I think.

The Selkie No One Wanted - 3 stars

The Spawn - 3 stars
Kid!fic~

Mad Finnegan - 2 stars
I couldn't help but think Harry Potter the entire time...

Dragon Stew - 5 stars
I really liked this story too...Maybe I'm just attracted to Dragons...

The Innkeeper's Story - 3 stars

Quest - 4 stars
A Quest for a Quest :)

Spellbound - 4 stars

Rissa
That was lovely! ♥♥♥♥♥
I love the different stories and couples. I like how some of the stories were interwoven!
I do adore this author's writing! I will definitely read more of hers! :)
Fehu
This is a lovely anthology! I really enjoyed reading most of the stories, the warning about incest did bother me but it was only the one story.

Most stories were more like fairytales and on the non-explicit side. Some were shorter than others, my favorites were Treasure(that grumpy dragon was cute as hell) and The Quest, because I wanted a happy ending for the other brother as well.
LutaWolf
I'm usually not into books such as these with many short stories. I have no complaints here though. It was like sipping an expensive wine, intoxicating. I spent most of the time in a half state of giddiness and drunkenness. There are too many short stories to really review them individually so I'll just recommend that you read this. You will not be disappointed!
Persephone
A fantastic collection of short stories from my new favourite author. Loved every character is this book but my main favourite have to be Finn and Tate, the mad wizard and his pet dragon. A wonderful read for anyone who enjoys fantasy, magic and mischief!!
Staceyr
What a great collection of short stories! Enjoyed them all, but my favorite was THE SPAWN--watching the big bad demon deal with the wailing, gurgling human "spawn" found abandoned on his property was too funny. A seriously fun read.
Fairy / Anna
I simply adore books by this author. Action, magic, love, all with specific and unforgettable atmosphere :) You can't mistake this writer with someone else. It always makes me wonder how is she doing that.
One word, magical.
Adrienne
I admit it--this book lost a star for its smattering of present-day, bland, and not-particularly-fantastical stories. Escapist fluff it may be, but I still have standards, dagnabit!
Cherie Noel
Total comfort read for me, as so many of Megan Derr's books are. They are all like dear friends... I can always count on them to cheer me up, encourage me... that's priceless to me.
J.D. Ruskin
The first story in the collection is the best. It is laugh out loud funny and touching at the same time.
  • That Famous Happy End
  • Hell Cop
  • Bedknobs & Beanstalks: Anthology of Gay Erotic Fairy Tales
  • Shadow Hunt
  • Irregulars
  • Lord of the White Hell (Lord of the White Hell, #2)
  • Brute
  • Consorting With Dragons
Megan is a long time resident of m/m fiction, and keeps herself busy reading, writing, and publishing it. She is often accused of fluff and nonsense. When she's not involved in writing, she likes to cook, harass her cats, or watch movies (especially all things James Bond). She loves to hear from readers, and can be found all around the internet.

maderr.com
maderr.tumblr.com
maderr.livejournal.com
More about Megan Derr...
The Missing Butterfly (Missing Butterfly, #1) The High King's Golden Tongue (Love is Always Write) Dance in the Dark (Dance with the Devil, #2) Dance with the Devil (Dance with the Devil, #1) Prisoner (Kria, #1)

“Shocking! Did she really do that?"

"Would I lie?"

"You lie faster than a whore offered a bag of gold,”
1 likes