Start by marking “The Enemies of Jupiter” as Want to Read:
The Enemies of Jupiter

The Enemies of Jupiter (The Roman Mysteries #7)

3.88  ·  Rating Details  ·  688 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
The fever that started in Ostia is sweeping through Rome, and Jonathan, Flavia, Nubia, and Lupus are called by the Emperor to investigate. The friends' investigations take them from the Imperial Palace to Tiber Island, but Jonathan is distracted by a secret mission of his own. Suddenly, he finds that everything is terrifyingly out of control. This is the seventh volume in ...more
Published May 1st 2005 by Roaring Brook Press (first published November 6th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Enemies of Jupiter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Enemies of Jupiter

Candy Wood
This book would have been more enjoyable if I had read more of the series. It does make sense on its own (but does end with a cliffhanger), but many references to earlier events would have more meaning for readers taking the series in order. Having four child characters who focalize allows for lots of historical information without sounding too dry--Nubia, a foreigner, often needs explanations that also help modern readers, and Jonathan knows more than the others about Jewish customs, for exampl ...more
Amekki8
Feb 21, 2015 Amekki8 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Emperor Titus has called Jonathan's father (a jewish doctor) to help cure the fever killing hundreds in Rome everyday. But he didn't only summon his father he also summoned Jonathan and his friends Flavia, Lupus, and Nubia. The four friends are hired to solve a mystery in Rome, someone or something is causing problems in Rome and the Emperor needs help. But Rome is a very dangerous place thieves, murderers, and enemies of the Emperor. Jonathan and his friends set out on the quest to find the ...more
Mrtracksclass

The Enemies of Jupiter
A boy named Jonathan who is not content with his parents being in different cities, who has lost patience makes him have the urge to make a change and bring them back together. Throughout this journey he ends up in many dangerous situations causing him to meet three solid friends Lupus, Flavia and Nubia. They end up trying to solve a mystery of who is Prometheus? Things get out of hand as Jonathan cannot focus on his main task solving the mystery, what he was asked to do. I
Philyra
Aug 29, 2013 Philyra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Enemies of Jupiter Book Review 2013

The Enemies of Jupiter was a great book, set in AD 80
It is the seventh of The Roman Mysteries a series set

The four main characters are:
Flavia Gemina, a wealthy sea captain's daughter, and her friends-
Jonathan Ben Mordecai, son of the best doctor in Ostia,
Nubia, a former slave, set free by Flavia,
Lupus, a former beggar boy who had his tongue cut out.

This book has more to do with Jonathan, though.

The main plot is when Jonathan's father is brought to Rome t
Ashani Waidyatillake
This book is great and it is about a boy called Jonathan and his three friends called Flavia, Nubia and Lupus helping a emperor in Rome called Titus. Suddenly when nothing seems wrong, the Temple of Jupiter goes ablaze and adding to that, Jonathan has set the fire! While this catastrophe is going on, Rome has fallen under a terrible plague. A plague which the people of Rome think has been sent by Jupiter as his temple has been burnt down several times. Enjoy this terrific book!!!!
sabisteb
Mar 17, 2011 sabisteb rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ähnlich wie bei Harry Potter ist ab diesem Band langsam schluss mit lustig. Caroline Lawrence schreckt nicht davor zurück auch liegbgewonnene Charaktäre zu töten, wenn es im Plot passt. Auch Hauptfiguren kann ein schwerer Schicksalschlag treffen. Es wird immer besser und wird immer spannender. Dieser Band endet mit einem sehr gemeinen Cliffhänger.

Zeitpunkt der Geschichte:
um den 13 bis 15./21. Februar 80 n. Chr.

Neue Erkenntnisse:
In diesem Band erfahren wir, dass
Spoiler Spoiler

* Nubia zum Zeitpun
Tchipakkan
I was very glad I had the 8th book (Gladiators of Capua) ready and waiting when I finished this- it was sort of a cliff hanger. Also, I admire how well Laurence handles difficult subject matter (like death, and experts disagreeing) in a "young readers" book. It's not like kids don't actually feel these emotions and think these thoughts. But usually authors skim over them. Also, it was a page turner! Practically non-stop action.
Leah
Mar 24, 2015 Leah rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Older Children/Teens into Mysteries
Recommended to Leah by: The cover attracted me
Shelves: childrens
I feel bad for Johnathan, everything happens to him! And in this, the one thing he wants happens after everyone thinks he is dead, and he believes his mother is dead, even though they are both fine and dandy! Well, sort of.

I enjoyed this story to a par of the dolphins one! I loved the fast-paced excitement and the chaos that erupted because of the fire. I still feel sympathy towards Johnathan even though he is the main cause of the fire itself. I liked this one because I actually felt genuine fe
Sharon
Nov 09, 2011 Sharon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Were the Gods angry? Why was an epidemic quotidian fever killing thousands in Rome? Emperor Titus calls Dr. Mordecia to Rome to heal the sick. Dr. Mordecia's son, Jonathan, and his three friends--Lupus, Flavia, and Nubia--accompamy the Doctor to help solve this mystery.
Their sleuthing takes them into dangerous situations. Jonathan's personal mission is to reunite his parents.

The most fascination qualities of this novel are the uses of Latin and Hebrew vocabulary and history, Roman mythology, an
Manish Gajbe
Story not that exciting but reading about that age was new.
Lori
I really like these series, and this book was written well, but I am angry at one of the main characters for his stupidity in this story (so 3 instead of 4 stars, since I can't give half stars!) Hoping he is able to redeem himself sometime in the next book, or I may be very mad at that character through a lot of the series. The kids really enjoy this stories, and we have read all of them aloud so far.
Ujwals
Nov 29, 2013 Ujwals rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book. It had a great Roman life description as well as history in it. Many of the events in this book really took place. Although it was an adventure, there wasn't really any mystery in this book. The mystery was a prophecy that the main characters had to decode. The characters were well portrayed and showed the diversity and respect of different classes of people. A good book, but little below par compare ot the rest of the series.
Vicki Cline
Aug 09, 2012 Vicki Cline rated it really liked it
Shelves: roman-mysteries
Jonathan gets Emperor Titus to request help from Jonathan's father, a physician, with the epidemic that's sweeping Rome. He's hoping that his father will "accidentally" run across his mother, whom everyone thought had died in Jerusalem when the Romans conquered it, but who has been in Rome all this time as part of a group of Jewish female slaves. Natually, Flavia, Nubia and Lupus also have a hand in the action.
Kitri
Dec 20, 2007 Kitri rated it liked it
Another fun, if far-fetched, installment in the series. The Roman Mysteries are not particularly well-written, but they are entertaining with lots of action. I'd recommend the series to kids 4th-7th grade who need/want/prefer thrills in their books to keep them interested. Don't worry - they'll get the added bonus of learning quite a lot about Roman life in the meantime.
Kabeer
Nov 17, 2012 Kabeer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In this book jonathans father,Dr. Mordecai, is summoned to rome. Titus (the emperor of rome) tells mordecai to help heal the people of rome against the disasteral plague! A disease said to kill thousands. In this book its a race against the doctor or the plague. Read the book and find out who will win. ROAR GOES THE FIRE!
AND DIE GOES THE RAIN!
Phair
VERY gritty episode with lots of death, disease, anguish, sacrifice & guilt all over the place. Still a great story and you really have to read them in order for maximum enjoyment. I tend to forget that these are actually written for children! Good, but I hope the next entry is a little less dark.
Samantha
Mar 18, 2008 Samantha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book well actually all the books by this lady and I think she is very creative, very talentid, and she makes the BEST books in the world!!!!!
Brett
Mar 04, 2010 Brett rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: juvenile-mystery
Continues to be interesting, exciting, & authentic. The cliffhanger ending makes me anticipate the next in the series.
Rachel S.
Apr 27, 2008 Rachel S. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In this FUN!
book johnathan's father is summoned to Rome to tend the victoms of the pleg!
and a huge fire starts!
Mrs. Roy
Here goes #7...awesome details about the plague and the fire.
Diana Sandberg
Dec 12, 2009 Diana Sandberg rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
These stories just get better and better.
Daniel
Nov 07, 2013 Daniel rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Bedtime reading with Oscar.
Fivewincs
Fivewincs marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2016
Gina
Gina rated it liked it
Jul 26, 2016
Philip Sosnin
Philip Sosnin rated it really liked it
Jul 22, 2016
Rachel
Rachel added it
Jul 13, 2016
Luna
Luna added it
Jul 13, 2016
Shannon
Shannon rated it it was amazing
Jul 11, 2016
Anika
Anika added it
Jul 11, 2016
  • Jinx (Lady Grace Mysteries, #10)
  • Pompeii: A Roman Girl's Diary, AD 78
  • The Ruthless Romans
  • The Hunger: The Diary of Phyllis McCormack, Ireland, 1845-1847
  • Buffalo Soldier
  • Sweet-talking TJ
Caroline Lawrence won a scholarship to Cambridge to read Classical Archaeology, then did a degree in Hebrew and Jewish studies at University College London. She now lives in London with her English husband and teaches Latin, Greek, Hebrew, Art and French to children.

Series:
* Roman Mysteries
Western Mysteries
More about Caroline Lawrence...

The Roman Mysteries (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • The Thieves of Ostia (Roman Mysteries, #1)
  • The Secrets of Vesuvius (Roman Mysteries, #2)
  • The Pirates of Pompeii (Roman Mysteries, #3)
  • The Assassins of Rome (Roman Mysteries, #4)
  • The Dolphins of Laurentum (The Roman Mysteries, #5)
  • The Twelve Tasks of Flavia Gemina (The Roman Mysteries, #6)
  • The Gladiators from Capua (The Roman Mysteries, #8)
  • The Colossus of Rhodes (Roman Mysteries, #9)
  • The Fugitive from Corinth (The Roman Mysteries, #10)
  • The Sirens of Surrentum (The Roman Mysteries, #11)