Start by marking “Disney after Dark (Kingdom Keepers Series #1)” as Want to Read:
Disney after Dark (Kingdom Keepers Series #1)

Disney after Dark (Kingdom Keepers #1)

3.91  ·  Rating Details  ·  19,089 Ratings  ·  2,034 Reviews
In this fantastical thriller, five young teens tapped as models for theme park "guides" find themselves pitted against Disney villains and witches that threaten both the future of Walt Disney World and the stability of the world outside its walls. Using a cutting-edge technology called DHI--which stands for both Disney Host Interactive and Daylight Hologram Imaging--Finn W ...more
Published November 29th 2010 by Disney Press (first published June 28th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Disney after Dark, please sign up.

Grace Yes it happens a little later in the book when they cross over and have a brawl with them. They return often throughout the book and series as side…moreYes it happens a little later in the book when they cross over and have a brawl with them. They return often throughout the book and series as side kicks or guards for the bad guys.(less)

Hannah
Jan 14, 2011 Hannah rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Where do I begin to describe my disappointment?

Living in Florida, I love Disney with a fierce passion. My best memories have been made there. I've seen this book every time I've gone in a store, and I figured it must be good.

How wrong I was.

Everything was so... bad, but let's break it down into elements.

Negative Elements:
The characters -
They were underdeveloped to say the least. You couldn't connect to anyone because the author simply didn't describe them. You didn't know what they liked, what t
Stacia (the 2010 club)
Sep 17, 2013 Stacia (the 2010 club) rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Middle grade aged readers. Very young kids might not follow and it's too slow for adults.

Soo...I guess if we're gonna bump into each other tonight in our dreams, we might want to decide when we're all going to sleep. Everyone has a 9 p.m. bedtime, right? Wait, what? You get to stay up til 10? No fair!

2.5 stars. While I was reading Disney After Dark, I kept comparing it in my head to a starter version of Ready Player One. Unfortunately, I kept wishing for this book to become as epic as RPO and it never quite got there.

The strange thing is, I can't find anything wrong with DaD (hah
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Me for TeensReadToo.com

Five young teens living in Florida get the opportunity of a lifetime--they're each going to be turned into a DHI, or a Disney Host Interactive, to guide visitors throughout the park. The five teens--Finn, Charlene, Willa, Philby, and Maybeck--are a varied assortment of ethnicities, and all attend different schools. As Maybeck states, they're "the Orlando assortment pack." When Philby points out that DHI also stands for Daylight Hologram Imaging, the kids get a
Dannii Elle
I can normally acknowledge a good middle grade novel, but I just felt far too old to appreciate this one! Aside from the complete butchering of Disney facts, this was aimed at an audience younger than myself and I could find no appeal for an older reader. My past self would have undoubtedly given this 5 stars, just for the setting alone!
Karebear
Oct 15, 2007 Karebear rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: peeps
Okay, when I learned about what it was about, I thought that it would be REALLY, REALLY good. I just thought the idea was clever (it's about Disney characters gone bad at night in the park). But then I read it, and I realized I just didn't like the characters, or the way it was written...sorry. But I do think it's a worthwhile read.
Glenn Whelan
Feb 20, 2013 Glenn Whelan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Don't let it fool you... The simplicity of this book should not eclipse its creative elements. For among that simple story structure is a quite clever premise easily discounted as childish.

Written for young adults, it unashamedly panders to fans of Disney Parks, most specifically THE MAGIC KINGDOM. If that Disney fan has expanded their horizons into backstage stories and the nuts and bolts of running the theme park, this book will be a great guilty pleasure, even for adults.

Author RIDLEY PEARSON
Kimberly
Aug 05, 2010 Kimberly rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010
The premise of the book sounded exciting enough. I mean, what doesn't sound fun about a book that takes place in the Magic Kingdom?

However, this book had many confusing scenes (and starts off with one of the most confusing) and a ton of things that are never explained. Plus, the author seemed to like to throw in references to attractions or locations in the park (perhaps just to geek people out).

Next, some very very weird stuff happens. It's easy enough to accept evil characters as being evil, b
Cindy
Like others that I saw when I read the flap of this book I thought this was the coolest idea for a book. But like all good books it's how the idea is taken and written and then transformed. I don't know if its the author just isn't a good YA author that this is just not his style. Either way the writing is the worst, and I've read some pretty bad stuff.

I hated that we had to mention the virtual magic kingdom, the characters were so one dimensional that I could see through them. And at times I t
Katie
Dec 05, 2008 Katie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone Who Likes to Read
Recommended to Katie by: My sister, Friends
I read this book a while back. My sister had read it before me and said she really liked it. So I thought I would give it a whirl. It was a little confusing at first because I didn't know what was going on, but It got a lot better!
I like how they based it at Disney World. It made me remember when I went to Disney World the year before. All the rides, and the cool things that are there in real life and the book. The author really did a great job with it.

I hope to be able to add it to my library s
Darth J
Nov 04, 2014 Darth J rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5 Stars
I thought the premise of this series is kinda genius: A bunch of kids face off against classic Disney Villians as they try to take control of Disney World. You read that right.

And it is just as awesome as it sounds.

The kids are part of a special program where they are recorded at a studio, and then representations of them are projected all over the park as holograms. But when the kids fall asleep, they can actually become those same holograms and interact with the park.

There’s a bit of
Michele Knott
Jul 29, 2011 Michele Knott rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: middle-grade
Have you been to Disney World? Do you love the Magic Kingdom? As a huge Disney fan, this book was so fun to read! You meet Finn and 4 other Orlando teenagers who have been chosen to become DHI's, which are holographic images that are trained to be Magic Kingdom park guides. However, Finn and his friends start waking up in the middle of the night as their DHI's, in the Magic Kingdom park. They find out from Wayne, an old Imagineer (what Disney calls their engineers and inventors), that the park i ...more
Debbie Lee
Dec 03, 2012 Debbie Lee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a fun book to read. Young teens and preteens will enjoy it. It is often difficult to find good, interesting books for young boys, but this is one. I imagine boys would get caught up in the characters of these boys (3 of the DHIs are boys) and project themselves into the book. Doing battle with pirates from Pirates of the Caribbean would be exciting. People who don’t care for It’s a Small World will like the battle that takes place after hours there. The fact that Kingdom Keepers is set ...more
Irene
Sep 21, 2013 Irene rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yes I am an adult and yes I enjoyed this book. Looking at the not so stellar reviews of Disney After Dark, I agree with some of the comments - like the characters were under developed. True, but I believe that this didn't dampen my reading experience because I went in knowing that there are 4 other books to follow. I'm sure (or at least hoping) that there will be more character development to take place. The other oddity I found was Maleficent's ice powers - although, it didn't bother me as much ...more
Jessica
Aug 16, 2014 Jessica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun thriller for Disney fans! A group of kids who are being used as the models for holographic hosts at Walt Disney World discover that they are the only ones who can stop the Disney villains from taking over. I liked the kids, and the action, and the inside look at the Magic Kingdom. Pearson clearly had an all access pass, and knew about all the service tunnels and every twist and turn of the rides. I'm curious to see where the kids go next. I did think that the whole, "We're kinda here but n ...more
Abby
May 09, 2009 Abby rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Sydney
Jul 29, 2014 Sydney rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had originally not planned on reading this book. Had I not received this book for Christmas of I think 2011, I would have missed out on a good deal.

I absolutely adore this book. I haven't read it a while, so I'm writing this review by memory.

This is the beginning of a series, which grows darker and darker. (view spoiler)

I can't really think of anything bad about this book, other than how the
Lauren Smart
Jul 01, 2016 Lauren Smart rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
A little racist, a lot sexist and extremely disappointing execution.
Anna
Jul 01, 2015 Anna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved it! It drew me in and captivated me, I loved the characters and the setting! I never once put it down, I love that this book gets right to the point instead of droning on and on..... It is defiantly a series I would recommend.
Barbara
Nov 01, 2015 Barbara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Disney fan loving this Disney book. Love the behind the scenes action. I keep going back for more!
Sam
Dec 27, 2015 Sam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2015
Rating: 3.5/5

My review for this comes from a somewhat unique perspective in that I spent a year of my life working for the Disney Parks. The very first park I was in was Magic Kingdom, but I also spent time working in Disney's Hollywood Studios (formerly MGM) and Epcot. I got to see a lot of behind the scenes stuff firsthand, so I came at this book with a very critical eye. I came away impressed with how much Pearson got correct. He clearly researched his stuff and painted a good picture of the
Mandy Sickle

Disney after Dark is the story of 5 teens hired by Disney to become holograms that walk around the park as guides. However things aren’t as they seem when Finn wakes up in a dream or at least he thinks it’s a dream in Disney confronted by Wayne. Wayne explains it’s up to Finn to get the other four DHI to meet at the same time before he is willing to explain everything. The kids are local celebrities so it should be easy to figure out who they are but Finn is going to need help.

With the help of h
Emi
Izzy Lightfleur ~ ON HIATUS
READ THIS REVIEW & MORE REVIEWS ON MY SUPER AWESOME BOOK BLOG!

Go Keepers! Go Keepers!

This AWESOME book is the first in the Kingdom Keepers series. It takes place where Disneyworld is, Orlando, Florida!(A.k.a, Disney!) Compared to the other books in the series, I think that this one is second best(Fourth one is awesome-er or the one where Finn uses the sword).

I liked that this book took place at Disney and that it was with kids twelve years old instead of seventeen. Adventure was good, also,
Alpha
May 27, 2013 Alpha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I will admit the first time I seen this book was about two weeks ago during my mother's birthday vacation. For some reason, she wanted to go to Disney and trust me, I didn't complain. I *HEART* Disney and believe it to be one of the places I'd love to work at one of these days once I am done burning everything that is excess in my life to the ground. Some people don't believe me but hey, that's life and I live for the Lord.

Anyways, I first saw this book in one of the stores in the Magic Kingdom
Elisha Condie
Feb 13, 2011 Elisha Condie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
Part of me wants to really like this guy for writing a cool story and the other part of me wants to punch him in the kidneys for writing a book that I want to write. I'm dying to walk into Disneyland and say "Hi! I'm writing a book and need access to all the secret tunnels" and they say "Right this way, madam" - just like Jeeves and I'm in.

Now I'm finished and man, this book was bad. Bad! It's such a shame -the idea of the characters in Disneyland coming alive after dark is something that spe
Samie Foster
Mar 22, 2009 Samie Foster rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Kingdom Keepers-The Forgotten Harry PotterOverall Rating: Wow I didn’t expect it to be this goodLooking for a new fantasy book to read? Have you worn out and memorized the lines out of Harry Potter books? Or are you looking for something is both kid friendly and can be enjoyed by adults. Well in the bargain bin of a local Hasting I found this forgotten treasure that nobody seems to know anything about. It’s called The Kingdom KeepersAlso know as Kingdom Keepers: Disney After Dark, this book ...more
Matthew Largo
Jan 25, 2016 Matthew Largo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved Disney after Dark! The whole idea of what happens at Disney after dark really was exciting and suspenseful. I think having the Audio-Animatronics move was a great feature as well as the all-powerful Maleficent roaming the park. Also the fact that the DHIs (Disney Host Interactive/Daylight Hologram Imaging) cross-over when they fall asleep and the only way they can get back in bed is to be near the red button when it is pushed. The whole secret Cast Member tunnel was cool as well as the a ...more
Samantha The Escapist
I forced my way through this whole damned story.

Why did such a terrible terrible writer have to have such a perfect idea? Now this story cannot be written by anyone with real talent because he's taken it. I mean, forget the DHI thing, any story involving Disney characters coming to life will be a blatant copy of this one which is a horrible shame because and idea this good NEEDS to be redone.

One thing I can say is that I enjoyed the problem solving side of it, finding the letters was better than
Donalyn
Jul 22, 2008 Donalyn rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Four teenagers, who are cast as holographic guides for Disney's Magic Kingdom, discover a secret world where Disney villains come alive and are trying to take over the world (both inside and outside the park).

Sounds intriguing and original, especially for this Disney World fan. I enjoyed reading insider information about rides like Space Mountain and it's a small world, but the trivia was not enough to save this poorly written book.

The plot was not strung together well, the villains weren't that
Carl Alves
Aug 26, 2015 Carl Alves rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The Kingdom Keepers is a sorry excuse for a novel. This novel was so bad that it offended me, and I am offended by very little. It’s really not a novel but a pathetic advertisement for the Walt Disney Company. I can’t even count how many times the author broke off from the story to give a soliloquy about the greatness of Disney, or going in depth about this product or that product of theirs. I can only assume that the company paid this writer to write this series of novels. In this story, a grou ...more
  • The Bridge to Never Land (Peter and the Starcatchers, #5)
  • The Haunted Mansion: From the Magic Kingdom to the Movies
  • The Imagineering Field Guide to Disney's Hollywood Studios
  • The Disneyland® Encyclopedia: The Unofficial, Unauthorized, and Unprecedented History of Every Land, Attraction, Restaurant, Shop, and Event in the Original Magic Kingdom®
  • Hidden Mickeys: A Field Guide to Walt Disney World's Best Kept Secrets
  • Into the Wild (Into the Wild, #1)
  • The Hidden Magic of Walt Disney World: Over 600 Secrets of the Magic Kingdom, Epcot, Disney's Hollywood Studios, and Animal Kingdom
  • HIDDEN MICKEY: Sometimes Dead Men DO Tell Tales! (Hidden Mickey, #1)
  • The Eternal Hourglass (Magickeepers, #1)
  • Shakespeare's Secret
  • Heck: Where the Bad Kids Go
  • Walt Disney's Epcot Center: Creating the New World of Tomorrow
  • Spinning Disney's World: Memories of a Magic Kingdom Press Agent
  • Walls Within Walls
Ridley Pearson is the author of more than twenty novels, including the New York Times bestseller KILLER WEEKEND; the Lou Boldt crime series; and many books for young readers, including the award-winning children's novels PETER AND THE STARCATCHERS, PETER AND THE SHADOW THIEVES, and PETER AND THE SECRET OF RUNDOON, which he cowrote with Dave Barry. Pearson lives with his wife and two daughters, div ...more
More about Ridley Pearson...

Kingdom Keepers (7 books)
  • Disney at Dawn (Kingdom Keepers, #2)
  • Disney in Shadow (Kingdom Keepers, #3)
  • Power Play (Kingdom Keepers, #4)
  • Shell Game (Kingdom Keepers, #5)
  • Dark Passage (Kingdom Keepers, #6)
  • The Insider (Kingdom Keepers, #7)

“If you don't believe in yourself, who will?' ~Maybeck” 37 likes
“There's a fine line between imagination and reality. An inventor dreams something up, and pretty soon, it's there on the table before him. A science-fiction writer envisions another world, and then some space probe finds it. If you believe in something strongly enough, I think you can make it happen.” 20 likes