Chocolate Chocolate: The True Story of Two Sisters, Tons of Treats, and the Little Shop That Could

3.56 of 5 stars 3.56  ·  rating details  ·  80 ratings  ·  20 reviews
When their beloved father died suddenly, authors Frances and Ginger Park (To Swim Across the World) comforted themselves with chocolates and mused on opening a confectionery shop with their small inheritance. The idea felt right to them--"a shop our late father would've loved just by virtue of its contents: chocolates and daughters"--and despite their inexperience, they de...more
Published May 10th 2011 by Thomas Dunne Books (first published April 26th 2011)

Hella
Francis and Ginger are two Korean sisters, moved on Washington DC after the war. The girls have a big shared passion, chocolate. The idea of opening a shop where people can buy sweets and everything with chocolate follows closely behind.
The book recalls the birth and the difficult of the store and the sisters, their private life, the most loyal customers and the problems with store's leaseholder. Among others, their mother, a lady with a sad past, she can instill self-confidence and tenderness i...more
Denise
Chocolate, Chocolate is a sweet, true story about two sisters who dream of opening a chocolate store in Washington D.C. When their father dies unexpectedly just as he is about to achieve his lifelong goals, Ginger and Frances are devastated. With the small savings he leaves them they work to realize their own goal of opening a sweets stop, but it turns out to be a little harder than they expect. First they must find the perfect, jewel box storefront, but the landlord turns out to be the Evil Emp...more
Triscia Smallman
May 13, 2012 Triscia Smallman rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommended to Triscia by: Online bookclub
So far, it's an interesting true story about 2 women with no business experience who desire to own and operate a chocolate shop. I love anything about women who beat the odds. Still reading...

Finished! I enjoyed it and admire the Park sisters' persistence to create their dream into a reality. It made me crave good chocolate and made me more aware of the process involved in making or ordering from large chocolatiers. (It even includes a recipe at the end to make one's own chocolates)

Unfortunately...more
Meg - A Bookish Affair
I came across this book randomly on the "new book" shelf at my local library. I was drawn in by the adorable cover and pulled in even more once I read the inside of the cover and realized this was a book set in Washington, DC that had nothing to do with politics (YES and YES!). I've talked about how much I love books about my city of DC that aren't political. There is so much more to this city! I had never heard of Chocolate Chocolate before even though it's so very close to where I am. I'm fixi...more
Allison
I liked this. It's a quick read and it's full of descriptions of various yummy-sounding chocolate treats. The girls had setbacks and triumphs and it's all set in DC. The story of the beginning of the store was truly interesting because it's filled with "we found a public phone and called mom" kinds of things - funny how we forget what life was like before cell phones!

The writing style was a little difficult to get used to - "Frances did..." and "Ginger did..." then it would move to "we did..." s...more
Christine
I had never heard anything about this shop or the owners before picking up this book. It turned out to be a good read and an absolute celebration of chocolate. It's also an interesting look inside a small business for anyone who has ever dreamed of opening up their own shop. These sisters had a really rocky start, but in the end they were able to fulfill their dream. The book doesn't sugarcoat their struggles and it also addresses some tough subjects such as their father's death and both of thei...more
Bean
Enjoyable, quick, and light little read about two Korean-American sisters who open a chocolate shop in DC. A bit different than I expected - I assumed they were the chocolate makers as well, which shows you how much I know about chocolate.

This book seems like a counterpart in some ways to MY KOREAN DELI, which I read earlier this year, although a bit more sweet and a bit less laugh-out-loud funny.

This made me SO hungry for chocolate, and I'm not even a chocoholic (I like it, but I don't crave...more
Shirleen
True, touching story of two Korean sisters who decided to open a chocolate store (called Chocolate Chocolate) in Washington DC in the 1980s after their father died. The book is funny, easily read, and genuine. I recommend it to anyone who is thinking of starting a small business, and also to all chocoholics. After a rocky start, the store has thrived and is still open today. The sisters have now branched out to writing children's book and one of their books, the story of their parents' immigrati...more
Song Vue
A great story about sisterhood, family, and chocolate a lot of chocolate. Each chapter included a feature chocolate which made me want to sample each unique chocolate chapter. I especially enjoyed the story told by and from the Asian American perspective.
Jan
If you love chocolate and fun characters, you will love this book.

Two Korean sisters open up a chocolate shop in the DC metro area and hold down the fort for 30+ years. It's a great story of determination, support, caring people, chocolate, and more chocolate. What's not to love?
Pam
This book is the antidote to the heavy, fraught memoirs I have been reading lately - instead, it is a happy tale of two sisters and their happy family and their experiences starting and running their own gourmet chocolate shop in Washington D.C. What's not to like?
Champaign Public Library
This is a delightful story of two sisters who have a passion to open a chocolate confectionary shop. Make sure you have some chocolates treats to munch on. If you are not already a chocoholic, this true story will turn you into one! Sit back and enjoy!
Spook Harrison
Apr 13, 2012 Spook Harrison rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Spook by: New Book Shelf
Shelves: memoirs
The pace took some getting used to, as did reading a book written by two, but the entire story was wonderful. I loved hearing about the family, the business, their lives...delicious! A very relaxing and entertaining read.
Allison
Pretty good story of the journey of a chocolate shop, sisters, and love. Definitely makes me want to visit my local store... Or actually go there. Inspiring to see how they bonded in the face of tragedy.
Melissa
This book was delicious! The story of 2 sisters and the chocolate shop that was their dream.
Stacy Oaks
I loved this book, but you should have plenty of chocolate around while reading it!!
Melissa
Super fast read that had me craving chocolate.
Holly
easy read, if a bit boring.
Mandy
A little disappointing.
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2014
C
C marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
Moira Mcglynn
Moira Mcglynn marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2014
Kateyanna
Kateyanna marked it as to-read
May 26, 2014
Doris
Doris marked it as to-read
May 06, 2014
Lauren
Lauren marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2014
Kayleigh
Kayleigh marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Sisters FRANCES AND GINGER PARK have been nibbling on bonbons and making friends at Chocolate Chocolate since 1984. Award-winning authors, the sisters love to write books for readers of all ages and have been interviewed on National Public Radio, 'Good Morning America', CNN and the Diane Rehm Show. Currently at work on separate novels, they still find time to collaborate. Their cookbook for childr...more
More about Frances Park...
To Swim Across the World: A Novel When My Sister Was Cleopatra Moon The Royal Bee To Swim Across the World Good-Bye, 382 Shin Dang Dong