To End a War

To End a War

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  237 ratings  ·  23 reviews
When President Clinton sent Richard Holbrooke to Bosnia as America's chief negotiator in late 1995, he took a gamble that would eventually redefine his presidency. But there was no saying then, at the height of the war, that Holbrooke's mission would succeed. The odds were strongly against it.
As passionate as he was controversial, Holbrooke believed that the only way to br...more
Published May 19th 1998 by Random House (first published January 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about To End a War, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about To End a War

Merilee
I started this over a year ago and somehow put it down without getting very far, but not because it wasn't good. I think my French Revolution enthusiasm took me away from my Balkan enthusiasm - temporarily. Now that we have so sadly lost this brilliant diplomat, I think it's time to begin the book again.

This book is excellent, and especially interesting in these days of debating whether or not WikiLeaks is a good or bad thing. The amount of negotiating and diplomacy that Holbrooke had to underta...more
Robert
Richard Holbrooke’s account of his efforts to bring peace to the Balkans--To End A War--is a candid, detailed, and thoughtful study of the practical challenges diplomats (helped by soldiers and backed-up by policymakers) face in the post-Cold War world.
When what we used to know as Yugoslavia broke up in the early 1990s, violent struggles broke out engaging Croatians, Bosnian Serbs, Bosnian Muslims, Bosnian Croatians, and the major remaining power in the region, Serbia.
These struggles were as...more
Kelly
A riveting account of diplomacy to stop the war in Bosnia. I found it particularly telling how much the behaviour of the politicians and diplomats reflected the psyche of their nations. Surprisingly, I developed some respect towards Milosevic, relative to other presidents

I liked the forthright views of Holbrooke and his sudden death triggered the interest to learn more about his signature diplomatic breakthrough in Dayton. Some reckoned that was an achievement worthy of the Nobel Peace Prize. I...more
Ljiljana Stancic
Holbrooke may have been quite a self-absorbed narrator but this book still reads like an essential handbook for American peace negotiators and also provides a rare insight into the thinking of a variety of Balkan political figures of the period. It confirms that there is a method to every madness and also explains (also in the title) what the Dayton Peace Agreement is not: a peace agreement. One often hears that the Pax Americana did not bring much good to Bosnia, an argument that would be more...more
Paul
So, I'm catching up on the Balkan wars more than a decade late. I felt this was a good foray into some of the issues -- it's easy to read, it's all in the first person given RH's position at Dayton, and it's a relatively quick read, although with a bit too much detail at times. Some of it is defensive and some of it I just don't believe, but I'm inclined to say this was good introductory material. If you have other suggestions, please forward. Thanks!
Libby
I don't normally read political history, therefore I was surprised at how quickly this book drew me in. Even though the outcome of his work as a negotiator is known, Holbrooke still managed to capture the sense of urgency and uncertainty that accompanied the Dayton negotiations. The book IS very American-centered; I'd love to read an account from one of the Balkan participants in the talk.
Willa
This book gives a valuable insight into the goings on at Dayton, however I found it hard to get past the well-meant and largely unconscious narcissism of the author. Holbrooke did a great deed in pushing through this peace agreement, and I have no less respect for his great character and achievements, but reading this is a bit like seeing a bad movie adaptation of a treasured book...
Roxanne
Read this for my International Mediation course. It is a page-turner and it provides some fascinating insight into the world of US mediation in the conflict in Bosnia. That said, it can appear self-congratulatory at times (as all such memoirs can be) and it doesn't necessarily adequately portray the Bosnian or Serbian perspectives of the conflict.
Amy Ostermeier
This is the only book I've read that makes working in a bureaucracy (ie - the State Department) seem exciting. :) A great book, though I have to think that Holbrook's recollection of his own work is a bit grandiose at times. Will give ya an interesting look as well at Kosovo, the world's newest country!
Rayrumtum
A good history of the final year of the war in the Balkans. The ever modest Holbrooke explains why he is right and everyone else is wrong and why foreign interventions are fine. Could have served as a rationale for Bush's misadventure in Iraq.
Sebastian
A rare insight into the mind of an American diplomat, a combination of naivity, skills, arrogance and guts. I'm not a fan of Holbrooke and his achievements (or lack of), but I did enjoy reading the book.
Ryan Elliott
Gave me a high insight into the intricacies of government negotiators. I dreaded it because it was so long but once I got to the last paragraph I realized it was one of the best books I've ever read.
Emma Mekinda
Fascinating behind-the-scenes account of the Balkan war! Having visited the region, it was riveting to hear about the war and the subtleties of foreign diplomacy... a must read.
Melanie Kreidich
Great book. Upon reflection, this might have been the last successful peacekeeping mission.
Dragana
Diplomatic and writerly whiz. Makes Dayton Peace Agreement read like adventure.
Phoebe
Dick Holbrooke talks about the diplomatic effort to end the war in the Balkans
Toni
Very readable. Slightly over-simplified and one-sided account.
Chelsea Bunton
This is a tough read, but it is definitely worth it!
Cameron Moss

the "13 days" of the clinton administration.
Heidi
RIP Richard Holbrooke
Pear
Pear is currently reading it
Sep 16, 2014
Elvis
Elvis marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2014
Lisa Holtom
Lisa Holtom marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2014
Natalie
Natalie marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2014
  • War in a Time of Peace: Bush, Clinton and the Generals
  • From the Shadows: The Ultimate Insider's Story of Five Presidents and How They Won the Cold War
  • American Diplomacy
  • The Fall of Yugoslavia: The Third Balkan War
  • The Eaves of Heaven: A Life in Three Wars
  • Preston Falls
  • The Price of Power: Kissinger in the Nixon White House
  • The Gulag Archipelago, 1918-1956: An Experiment in Literary Investigation, books III-IV
Richard C. Holbrooke was the U.S. Special Representative for Afghanistan and Pakistan under President Barack Obama. He served as the United States Ambassador to the United Nations, where he was also a member of President Clinton’s cabinet (1999-2001). As Assistant Secretary of State for Europe (1994-1996), he was the chief architect of the 1995 Dayton Peace Agreement that ended the war in Bosnia....more
More about Richard Holbrooke...
East Asia in Transition: Challenges for the Trilateral Countries : A Task Force Report to the Trilateral Commission (Triangle Papers : 35) A Crime So Monstrous: Face-to-Face with Modern-Day Slavery Power and the Idealists: Or, the Passion of Joschka Fischer and Its Aftermath Exodus 1947: The Ship That Launched a Nation Why Vietnam Matters: An Eyewitness Account of Lessons Not Learned (Blue Jacket Books)

“The negotiations were simultaneously cerebral and physical, abstract and personal, something like a combination of chess and mountain climbing.” 1 likes