Jenkins: Confederate Blockade Runner

Jenkins: Confederate Blockade Runner

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  16 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Jenkins: Confederate Blockade Runner, is based on the exciting life of adventurer, settler, and Confederate hero, C.T. Jenkins who rides with Newburne's Company of Mounted Rifles and defies the blockade of The South during the Civil War. Born into a prominent Baltimore family in 1811, Jenkins challenges his father's wishes that he continue the Baltimore family enterprise,...more
Kindle Edition
Published (first published November 23rd 2010)

Lynnette Phillips
Emily Hill’s first novel, Jenkins: Confederate Blockade Runner, published by A.V. Harrison Publishing and released February 6, 2011, was sparked by a family Civil War album left to her by her Aunt Cordelia. She spent 15 years researching her family’s genealogy and then another two years penning the story of C.T. Jenkins.

Colonel C.T. Jenkins was Ms. Hill’s long lost uncle and a prolific writer. He left journal entries and letters to fuel Emily’s curiosity leading her to write the story of her Unc...more
Jackie
How excited I was to win a 'Goodreads First Reads' Starting out with a wonderfully described setting of the 1800's. The many characters immediately came to life as I was eager to learn more about each one of them. I am someone who unfortunately 'judges a book by its cover' so didn't expect this book to be much more than an account of the grumpy man photographed on the cover. Was I wrong!
Rick F.
brilliant rendering of a unique plot- so well written and wonderfully entertaining as well as educational.
A JAMES MASON COMMUNITY BOOK CLUB MUST READ
RICK FRIEDMAN
FOUNDER
THE JAMES MASON COMMUNITY BOOK CLUB
April
Feb 17, 2011 April marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Yea! A First Reads win! I love history, and I'm interested to see if this is a biography, or fiction based on a real person. Either way it sounded interesting.
Andrewc
An expansive historical landscape is portrayed in Ms. Hill's debut novel, 'Jenkins'. From the troop movement details, to the names of military commanders she has stayed true to historical fact. 'Jenkins' begins in early 1800s Baltimore as a family of obvious privilege stumbles in its attempts to overcome a series of tragedies which causes the protagonist to "dash into the pages of Confederate history" as Ms Hill describes it.

The portrayal of the struggle between native Americans and Indian scou...more
Johnny Flora
Jenkins, Confederate Blockade Runner. by Emily Hill
Realtors, or anyone else familiar with property transactions knows the Golden Rule is; "Location, Location, Location."
Authors, especially those who write novels of historical significance will tell you that the Golden Rule is; Research, Research, Research. Emily Hill understands the Golden Rule and has perservered. Fifteen years of painstaking research on the family lineage of Jenkins and the literary community has a readable time machine that...more
Christopher Hope
Really love this book, I am a huge history buff and it is right up there with all the history information that I love to gather. The author is a wonderful person, and I had the opportunity to meet her in Inverness Florida when she was doing her research and found her to be quite good company. Looking forward to getting the rest of her books.
Florida Orangetree
Pitiful! There is no hook to draw me into this book; nothing to entice me to keep reading. No plot unless a fanciful description of an uppercrust family is supposed to entice the reader. The last couple of chapters are the best. The historical reference citations at the back of the book do not conform to any standard format for citing source material.
Kathy Zimmerman
This book takes place during the Civil War. I found the story interesting and was especially drawn to the family element.
David R.
Fascinating and real, especially the battle scenes. Was Emily there when it happened? A real page turner.
Christina
Won this in a giveaway. I'm a fan of civil war books and this was one of the best that I've read.
Bobby
Hardly anything about the actual blockading itself but still historically interesting.
Clayton
An all-around really good read, and evocative of the times.
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2014
Nancy
Nancy marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2014
Travis Cage
Travis Cage marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2014
Kay
Kay marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2013
Linda
Linda marked it as to-read
May 06, 2013
Thota
Thota added it
Feb 25, 2013
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2013
Sreevidhya
Sreevidhya marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2013
Teri Pre
Teri Pre marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2012
Em
Em added it
Feb 09, 2012
Beckie
Beckie marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2012
Sandi
Sandi marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2012
Cheryl
Cheryl marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Women Who Survived the Civil War 1 2 Feb 07, 2014 02:23PM
Ghost Stories And The Unexplained Self-Publishing for Smart Cookies (2012) Ghost Stories And Tales Of Terror The Ghost Chaser's Daughter The Visual Dictionary of Ancient Civilizations