Start by marking “The Challenge” as Want to Read:
The Challenge

The Challenge (12 Shades of Surrender)

Katie Donato and Dean Manion are total opposites. She's straight, he's gay. She's a serial monogamist, he's never been into commitment. But they both love sex, and a challenge.

So when Katie tells Dean she thinks she could pleasure him better than he could ever satisfy her, he dares her to prove it--by sleeping together. Soon Katie and Dean are taking their friendship to pl
Published December 1st 2010 by Spice Briefs (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Challenge, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Challenge

Nidofito
Ehhhhh meh
Darcy
Aug 21, 2012 Darcy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Normally this author is a hit for me, but this one just didn’t work. The premise of it is just a little too far fetched, a boy/girl friendship, he is gay, she is straight and they have a sex bet, one where each thinks the other can’t get them off. First off, why would you even want to go there, it isn’t like he will change what/who he is interested in. Second Dean is in a relationship, even though he denies it. I couldn’t believe he told his boyfriend what he was going to do. Third, Katie is smi ...more
Dec 21, 2010 Laura rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
After having just finished a fantastic book by Megan Hart, I was very eager to read something else of hers as quickly as possible.
Katie and Dean are coworkers who are also very good friends. They confide in eachother about everything including their sex lives with different men. Dean also happens to be gay. They challenge eachother into having sex to seeing if they can do it for one another eventhough he's gay and she's not interested in him like that at all.
This was alright I guess, the sex was
•Anna•
Jun 03, 2014 •Anna• rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: trashy
Bah.
Ma il senso?

description
Chiara Cilli
Nov 29, 2012 Chiara Cilli rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Un ragazzo gay e una ragazza etero che si lanciano una sfida di sesso e... scintille, ragazzi!!! Davvero molto interessante :) Finale strappalacrime e sorrisi!
Jane Carlson
May 27, 2017 Jane Carlson rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit
short novella; unrealistic story
Sherryle Archer
It doesn't go long enough for my liking. I'd love if this was turned into an actual novel ☺
Kathy
Tiffany Callan
Sep 21, 2013 Tiffany Callan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Challenge - Megan hart (Part of 12 shades of surrender - Undone)
What a wonderful short story, i love a short story that doesn't leave me hanging but does make me want more and this was one of them, it was sweet and caring and funny and sexy all rolled into one, i wanted to know more but didn't feel like i didn't know enough, maybe i'm just greedy :), it went into the relationship between two best friends, the crave and need for something more, the small acts that can often be forgotten and t
AlenGarou
Lettura flash
Giustamente, mi sono ritrovata in treno con la batteria dell'ebook reader scarica, per cui ho voluto sfruttare appieno il tempo che mi restava prima della sua dipartita.
Avevo ancora un paio di racconti delle 12 piccole sfumature e, andando in ordine, mi sono ritrovata a leggere quello della Hart.
Prima di tutto devo ammettere che come scrittrice non mi dispiace e si nota la differenza con i precedenti. Il suo stile è lineare, semplice e descritto in modo discreto.
La storia non è male
Rachel Vorster
Wow. Just wow. I really wished so badly that Dean and Katie would end up falling for each other and getting together. The ending, for me, was unexpected and I felt quite sad. But I guess life goes on. Guys don't just suddenly stop being gay after being with a woman. This was a great book and the scenes were HOT. But it lost a star for the slight anti-climax. At least they found people that make them happy. I suppose that's what matters most.
(Tori-Smexybooks) smexys_sidekick
A naughty little erotic niblet about 2 best friends who are each on the cusp of a serious relationship. But the fear of the unknown has them reaching for the one constant thing in their lives-each other.

Enjoyable, spicy hot, but much to short. :( I found that with Megan Hart she defines her characters so well that I never want to leave them.
Natasha
May 22, 2013 Natasha rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Really did not get this one. I mean I could understand if Dean decided that he really wasn't gay and that he was perhaps in love with Katie but for Katie to go off with Jimmy and Dean to go off with Jacob in the end I just really did not see that point in Katie and Dean being together. They should have just got it on with their own prospective partners like they both wanted.
Tina Nguyen
This story has huge potential. As a short story it was okay. The characters have weird quirky moments, but nothing too special. If the story was longer and in more detail I'm sure I would rate it more than just 2 stars. I guess you could call this a quick "pick me up?" It did put a smile on my face so you know it can't be too bad.
Lapis Lazuli
Nov 18, 2013 Lapis Lazuli rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: contemporanei
Niente da fare, Megan Hart è sempre Megan Hart. E anche quando leggi una storiella di sole 35 pagine e non ti aspetti niente di che, riesce a stupirti ed emozionarti. E in 35 pagine ci mette sesso, sentimenti, amicizia e un finale colmo d'amore che ti riempie di un totale senso di appagamento. Anche se è un finale che non ti saresti mai aspettato all'inizio.
Stace
Dec 01, 2010 Stace rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I try to be lenient when it comes to short stories especially erotic ones but...in the end I didn't care about these people at all. A few of the scenes were pretty hot which almost led to 3 stars but I was left feeling disappointed. Maybe 4 people & 2 relationships was too much to tackle in 36 pages.
Dhfan4life
Dec 19, 2012 Dhfan4life rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Megan Hart is a real hit and miss author for me at times. But with this particular story it was definitely a real hit. Who knew one crazy challenge between good friends Katie and Dean could lead to them both finding what they were really looking for all along. Great quick read. Now on to tracking down Reason Enough, from somewhere in my library stacks.
Paula
Very short. Interesting.Straight Gal and Gay Guy make a bet to see who is better and can get the other off best.Katie, who is a serious monogamist, challenges Dean, who is afraid of commitment. They learn a lot about themselves rather quickly. Fun fast short story. I liked it.
Melissa
Sep 26, 2012 Melissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was a good short story but there wasn't enough story for how 'long' it was. It seemed a bit wordy but not. Maybe I'm just not really on the mood to review... Maybe I just had too much trouble reading it for some unknown reason.
Maria
Jun 20, 2015 Maria rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best stories in Megan Hart's Erotic stories collection volume 2. Two best friends who fear their own troubled relationships embark on a sexual challenge that surprises them. A realistic ending about true friendship. My full review coming soon in the collection.
Andita
Mar 29, 2015 Andita rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good but...

I'm still confused about the two friends sleeping with each other. I know it's not the author's fault because the story was well written. I'm confused over the ambiguity of desire and sex drive. This story was sweet and I would want to read more about these characters.
rm2h
Jul 06, 2011 rm2h rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This is not a romance at all - it is one sexual encounter between a straight woman and a gay man who think they are in love with others. Oh, please give me a break.... from women's fiction. I wish this book had been labeled properly.
K.R.Caldwell
Ummmm.... Did I miss something? I was reading and then it was just over. What the heck happened? What did I miss? What happened to the lives of the two main characters? this book was well on it's way but in the end it just left frustrated and unsatisfied.
Leah
Dec 14, 2012 Leah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: erotica, short-read
Idea for this one, not believable. However, the characters were at least somewhat believable. Do I believe this situation could EVER happen, no. But I was impressed with the way she executed it. For a short story it was enough for me to feel like I should read another one of her books.
Regina Malone
Apr 09, 2013 Regina Malone rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Short Story
Melindannk
Feb 11, 2014 Melindannk rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: rom-erotica, 2014
Super steamy, but too short and too far fetched for me.
Cristina Contilli
Carino, ma davvero troppo breve...

La Hart sa gestire bene il rosa / erotico anche nella misura breve di un racconto, ma questo testo è davvero troppo corto per essere un libro autonomo...
Kelly
Short, completely unrealistic, totally filthy, kind of adorable.
Kobie
Mar 19, 2013 Kobie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
liked it but not a fan of the short format
Kay
I liked it. Premise was a little different. A short story of people figuring out what they want. I would read more by Megan Hart,
  • Three to Tango
  • Night Moves
  • For Your Pleasure
  • Taste of Pleasure (The Masters #1)
  • Going Down
  • Chance of a Lifetime
  • Getaway (Shivaree, #2)
  • Under His Hand  (12 Shades of Surrender Series)
  • Taking Her Boss
  • Paris Affair (12 Shades of Surrender Series)
  • Naughty and Nice: A Holiday Romance Collection
  • Cuffing Kate (12 Shades of Surrender Series)
  • The Envelope Incident (12 Shades of Surrender Series)
  • Talk Dirty to Me  (Dirty Laundry, #2)
  • Playing for Keeps
  • Domination in Pink (Club El Diablo #4)
  • Naughty Bits 2: An Anthology of Short Erotic Fiction
  • Coming Clean (Dirty Laundry, #3)
Megan Hart has written in almost every genre of romantic fiction, including historical, contemporary, romantic suspense, romantic comedy, futuristic, fantasy and perhaps most notably, erotic. She also writes non-erotic fantasy and science fiction, as well as continuing to occasionally dabble in horror.

--from the author's website

Librarian Note: There is more than one author in the GoodReads databas
More about Megan Hart...

12 Shades of Surrender (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Under His Hand  (12 Shades of Surrender Series)
  • Paris Affair (12 Shades of Surrender Series)
  • The Envelope Incident (12 Shades of Surrender Series)
  • Taste of Pleasure (The Masters #1)
  • Night Moves
  • Cuffing Kate (12 Shades of Surrender Series)
  • Going Down