Start by marking “Life is Short-Wear Your Party Pants: Ten Simple Truths that Lead to an Amazing Life” as Want to Read:

Loretta La Roche has helped millions of people find ways to lighten up and overcome stress. Now, in Life Is Short—Wear Your Party Pants, she gives you the tools you need to not only reduce feelings of tension, but also to bring joy, passion, and gusto into your life. Her techniques are a brilliant blend of old-world common sense and the most contemporary research in brain ...more
Published February 1st 2004 (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Life is Short-Wear Your Party Pants, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Life is Short-Wear Your Party Pants

Dec 15, 2013 Lauren rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Seemed to include more negative thoughts or views than positive ones, which sort of undermined the whole 'have positive thoughts or views' purpose of the book. Nothing earth shattering but nothing too bad either (aside from huge exaggerations such as "if I walked as much as I talked about being fat, I'd be an anorexic!" - that's not how that works).
Feb 09, 2014 Eileen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think someone brought this book for me for a past birthday. I found it on the bookshelf in our family room today. It looked like a fun, easy to read book so I brought it up to the tub with me early afternoon today. A few days ago I hurt myself trying to open the garage door. The door was stuck to the ice the day after a big snowstorm, but I just yanked it and felt a snap in side so have been dealing with a pulled muscle. (This makes me want to get the electronic doors fixed asap!) Anyway, a ho ...more
Jul 12, 2012 Stacy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great read for those of us taught to save it all for the future. Motivates us to savor the good in life and pursue interests/talents we may be neglecting. Women often overlook their own interests in the name of looking after others. In reality, we aren't doing anyone any favors neglecting ourselves! We all need a healthy dose selfishness....Loretta helps you give yourself permission to do a few things for YOU and explains the cognitive distortions and excuses behind not honoring ourselves. Searc ...more
Apr 08, 2016 Lindsay rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
I'm a sucker for Self Help books. I know that they all pretty much tell you the same things, but I'm drawn to them. Years ago I was drawn to this one, because I liked the title and the cute colorful pants on the cover. I read it, kept it on my bookshelf for a few years, and last night when I was all sad and depressed (mostly about a boy), I remembered that I had it and decided to read it. Its a pretty quick read and has helpful tips mixed in with humor, so you don't get bored. Now, I'm not sayin ...more
Emily Leathers
I have a definite tendency to save everything for enjoyment in the future. I know this is silly, but still manage to have trouble breaking the habit. I'm enjoying Ms LaRoche's anecdotes (well, some of them - some of them are just glimpses into lives that I'm glad aren't mine or anyone I know) and am hoping that somewhere in here will be part of the kickstart I need to stop putting off eating the special holiday candy until it's no longer good and start just enjoying it right now.
Rene' Santos
Jun 30, 2008 Rene' Santos rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great pick me up book if you ever need it. Good ideas for ways to be positive, stay positive, look at the brighter side of life (easier for some of us than others, on a daily basis). I had started this book once and put it down (must not have been the time for me). This time, I read it and kept with it. I would read it once a week and journal with it each time (gives you things to reflect on). I really enjoyed it and came away with ideas to use in my daily life.
Jan 01, 2008 JayeL rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who haven't read any of her other work
I was a bit disappointed in this book. I enjoyed her other one Life is Not a Stress Rehearsal and while I didn't hate this one, I didn't like the lecture format (too much audience background noise) and the transitions were abrupt. There was also a lot of content that was repurposed. Read Life is Not a Stress Rehearsal and skip this one. The party pants story and theme throughout the book is a good one, however.
Catalin Raicu
Jun 18, 2016 Catalin Raicu rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recomand aceasta carte celor care simt ca au pierdut legatura cu lumea exterioara (prieteni, familie sau chiar si straini de pe strada, magazine etc.), aceasta fiind un ghid potrivit in a va invata de ce este imperios necesar sa mentineti o legatura indiferent de intensitatea acesteia cu semenii vostri. Inca un motiv pentru care merita sa aprofundati aceasta carte este de a invata cum sa traiti cu stresul transformandu-l in bucurie.
May 13, 2009 Dolly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who needs a good laugh
This is a funny book, full of practical advice and great perspectives on life. I liked her book, Life is Not a Stress Rehearsal: Bringing Yesterday's Sane Wisdom Into Today's Insane World better, but this one was good, too.
Apr 11, 2009 Leslie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book has a few good points, such as "80% of success in life is showing up". But otherwise, I find it tedious and the attempts at humor are super cheesy. The book is meant to be about living a positive & low-stress life, but it endlessly lists the stresses rather than focusing on the positive suggestions.
Nov 16, 2007 Kristal rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Um, my mother gave this to me in hopes of something. I guess. Its an alright book. I don't normally read these sort of books honestly. Just a normal chicken-for-the-soul sort full of antidotes and advice. Will any of it actually benefit me? More than likely not. Something about taking advice from a 60-year old wearing a boa and big fat hat that doesn't match worries me.
Aug 19, 2008 Connie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
To be the best I can be!! If I don't like something that has been passed down to me or things I'm hanging on to, to not feel guilty if I give it away or sell it. To know that every day shoule be filled with fun. To love life everyday.
She's a very funny lady, and I heard her book on CD, I laughed, I cried and I nodded my head when she was talking straight to my heart.
V. Mariketa  Nix
Sep 19, 2011 V. Mariketa Nix rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is about letting go of all the serious stuff in life and remembering to laugh at ourselves in the process of life. One quote that sticks with me so far, "of course there is no formula for success, except perhaps an unconditional acceptance of life and what it brings." Arthur Rubinstein. Great perspective on life!
Nancy Houda
Jun 02, 2010 Nancy Houda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good Book, especially for people like me that were raised to save everything for the future. I now have permission to live in the present and put me first once in a while. So good I had to be on a wait list from the library.
Aug 04, 2012 Terie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love it. A great friend gave it to me and I continue to share the joy with others. She's funny, witty, insightful....I can't help but feel relaxed and happy. I often read section over and over just to remind myself that laughter is the best medicine. Highly recommend keeping it close by.
Oct 06, 2008 Marcia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just the title of this book makes me laugh. The author is so fun to read. There are great quotes and fun stories in this book that make you want to live better. I used many ideas in church talks or lessons.
Jul 09, 2011 Vanessa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I did not read the narrative and I liked the title so I bought the book I thought it would have been a book similar as Chelsea Handlers but it isn't. It is more of a self help type book.
It was very good!
Jan 24, 2009 Cindy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is my reading assignment for the winter break. It's to be discussed and reviewed upon returning to work.

Quoted from the introduction,
"We have a very short time on this planet, and we waste so many hours not really enjoying what time we have".
Aug 24, 2008 Jenny rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
My SIL gave me this with the caveat that it was very pep-talk and kind of trite. Which it was. I can see how some people might dig this sort of thing, but it's all common sense, really. Still, a few laughs here and there.
To be honest, I didn't feel strongly about this book. Some of the main themes: don't sweat the small stuff, loosen up and recognize what you can and can't change. A little funny, a little redundant —but generally good-natured and helpful. ...more
Sep 24, 2014 David rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
LaRoche's mantra of think positive and think outside the box to get there all wrapped up in a lot of stale jokes. I have a friend (Jennifer Hart) that could take this material and add a dash of snark to make it really sparkle.
There were a bunch of little tidbits in here that were inspiring, as well as good reminders for life. A nice perspective for life.
Books By Bailey
Jan 17, 2013 Books By Bailey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Businesses, families, students
Recommended to Books by: Myself
Great tips! Anyone can benefit from reading just portions. Morsels of goodness. Would often cite in corporate company newsletter to motivate.
Laura Lee
She's a fun, unpredictable life couch. This book could also be titled, pull up your pants and let's go!
Karen Jett
I read this because it was recommended by my hairdresser. It's an enjoyable read and easy to read. But, I was a bit disappointed since the content was simply okay. No Aha! moments for me.
Aug 27, 2014 Kristin rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It was an okay self help book. It did give good advice. I had to remember it had a lot of her own opinions, so did not agree on everything. Very insightful!!
Jul 01, 2008 Annette rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a fun quick read... a book between 'real' books... uplifting and hopeful... recommended by my good friend, Helga.
Mar 10, 2008 Kari rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good. But a little to psycho-babble for me. Mostly common sense. But there were some great one-liners and quotes that you can utilize ...
Sep 06, 2009 Tracy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For a self help book, this book is simple and brings up valid points. If you are looking for a super motivating book, it is ok. If you are looking for a simple pick me up book, this is great.
Stacy Piper
With common sense, Loretta LaRoche gives us a great book with real life advice on how to live happily
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Easier Than You Think ...because life doesn't have to be so hard: The Small Changes That Add Up to a World of Difference
  • I'd Rather Laugh: How to be Happy Even When Life Has Other Plans forYou
  • Do I Stand Alone?: Going to the Mat Against Political Pawns and Media Jackals
  • Transformation Soup: Healing for the Splendidly Imperfect
  • Gifts from Eykis
  • The Mediterranean Diet
  • Stress-Proof Your Life (52 Brilliant Ideas)
  • The Power of an Hour: Business and Life Mastery in One Hour a Week
  • Is There Life After Housework?: A Revolutionary Approach to Cutting Your Cleaning Time by 75%
  • You Are Your Choices: 50 Ways to Live the Good Life
  • How to do just about anything
  • What Happy Women Know: How New Findings in Positive Psychology Can Change Women's Lives for the Better
  • Chicken Tractor: The Permaculture Guide to Happy Hens and Healthy Soil