Start by marking “The Midnight Show Murders: A Novel” as Want to Read:
The Midnight Show Murders: A Novel

The Midnight Show Murders: A Novel (Billy Blessing #2)

3.35 of 5 stars 3.35  ·  rating details  ·  259 ratings  ·  52 reviews
Beloved TV personality, trusted weathercaster, and all-around Renaissance man Al Roker continues his newest successful career with the thrilling sequel to his dynamite mystery debut, The Morning Show Murders. Professional chef turned amateur sleuth Billy Blessing once again finds himself in hot water, when a brutal killing cancels a TV show—and its host—during its debut.

Kindle Edition
Published (first published October 26th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Midnight Show Murders, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Midnight Show Murders

Sandy Duke
Still loving Billy Blessing. This second book in the series seemed to have more foul language that I didn't particularly care for, but I suppose that it was appropriate to the characters. Still a funny, fast-paced romp through behind the scenes TV Land with a surprising twist at the end.
Roker should be applauded for making this, the second book in the series, a little better than its debut. That said, we are still best to file it under summer beach fluff in order not to confuse it with some of the other literary options out there. The story is a little better and the characters are a little stronger, but there is still an air of cheesiness that cannot be shaken, either from the story or the narration.

Roker must surely be doing this on the side as a little fun, for it reads as s
Kaje Harper
I really liked this book. The narrator, Chef Billy Blessing, has a smooth, witty, appealing voice and the mystery plot would seem predictable and then have turns and twists I didn't see coming. The thing keeping it from five stars in my opinion was some bad-guy-explains-all beyond what seemed natural. I have a hard time with villains who tie up their own loose ends in an exposition to the hero. And the final action sequence was a little over the top. But I really liked the book in most other way ...more
I did like this book. Billy Blessing is given an opportunity to be part of a show for WBC on the West Coast. While he is there, the host is killed and Blessing is on another one of his adventures to find out who did and why.

Like others have said, the book started out slow, but the ending was quite good and a bit of a surprise.

Definitely a good read.
Jackie Servoss

Consistently funny. Filled with twists and turns , just as Mr. Roker's first book. I fell in love with Chef Billy Blessing in the first book, now the second is even better! I haven't read the next yet , though can't wait.
Patty Allen
I was surprised Al Roker writes mysteries. I really enjoyed thus book, it is full of twists and turns. Al Roker also read this audio book, and his voice was easy to listen to. I plan on reading the other books in the series.
This is pretty much a fluff book, but it was an enjoyable cozyish mystery. It was a quick read, and it was amusing. It's not for everyone, but if you enjoy lighter mystery novels and want to read something that isn't too challenging, you might enjoy this.
This is the second in the Billy Blessing series by Al Roker and Dick Lochte. (I appreciate that even though this might be considered a "celebrity author" novel, Dick Lochte, who's a fine writer, gets co-author credit rather than serve as an anonymous ghost.)

This is not a "cozy" by any stretch as Billy Blessing, celebrity chef and TV personality, gets caught up trying to solve a 23 year old murder along w/ several contemporary killings taking place around the production of a new late-night talk s
Michael Daily

This book was okay but a little slow. It could of had more action
And a faster pace. It had way too much stuff trying to impress the reader. Hollywood Mansions , fancy cars, special wine and beautiful people. Almost like reading a Stewart Woods book!
Better than his previous book, the Morning Show Murders, but a bit stiff. It is always interesting to me to see someone who does one thing stretch out to some other area. Some twists and turns but awkward.
The second book in the Billy Blessings mysteries has Billy flying off to Los Angeles to write a book and announce for a new late-night show. When the host ends up dead and an old grudge comes back to haunt Billy, things get complicated and then down-right dangerous.

This book has it all, celebrities, murder, blackmail, drugs and rock 'n roll (well, not so much of the rock). Set in LA with Billy staying in Malibu there are a lot of scenes that everyone has seen in the movies.

This series is a lot o
The second in the Billy Blessing series, The Midnight Show Murders was most definately my favorite. Al's signature humor was obvious throughout the novel, blending wittiness and mystery well. I love the eclecticness of the characters in the novels and how they fit into the storyline without that formula feel to the mystery. There were times when I was able to guess what was going to happen next, but intead of making the story predictable, it had the opposite effect. It led the reader to what see ...more
Although this book took a long time to get going, the story, once it got rolling, was very good and the conclusion was complex an unexpected.
A who dunit and who was meant to be killed story all wrapped into a story of past issues and TV show drama.

When I saw this book at a Half Price Book Store, I thought, Why not? It proved entertaining.
Bruce Snell
This is the second book in the Billy Blessing series by Al Roker. This book is much better than the first - it feels like Roker and his co-writer have a better feel for their characters, and a better understanding of where they want to take the story. This time out Billy is on the west coast (Los Angeles and Hollywood) as he helps the network kick off a new midnight talk show. As is to be expected from the title (and genre), several people are murdered in connection with that new show, and Billy ...more
Very enjoyable story of Hollywood by Al Roker.
Another amusing summer beach read.
I have to say that this wasn't one of my favorite mysteries and that I kept having to stop myself from jumping ahead to the end. It was easy for me to skip pages at a time. I guess that I was just expecting more from this story and from Mr. Roker. I'll give "The Morning Show Murders" a try but I'm not expecting much from them either.

If you are looking for some really light reading than this book will provide it.
Elizabeth Stickney
I couldn't really finish this even though I like Al Roker from the Today Show. The story & characters were kind of interesting. The main reason why I couldn't finish this book was because some of the earlier chapters were in there twice near the end that started mid-chapter of the 31st chapter which annoyed me a lot. Other than that, the book was an ok read.
My second Al Roker mystery. It was well written. And he does write with a comic slant which is enjoyable. And there is a lot of celebrity name-dropping from late night TV and TV cooking chefs. I have to say however that I could see the "rescue" story element coming from a mile away. An entertaining read if somewhat predictable.
I like Al Roker so I was prepared to like this book, and I did. It was easy reading with fun characters and a decent plot; incidental references to real people and places added to the "believability." This was their second book together and I'm looking forward to reading the first one, and the third one when it comes out later this year.
New York based celebrity chef and Wake Up, America! co-anchor Billy Blessing reluctantly returns to Los Angeles to help launch the network's new late night talk show with Irish comic Desmond O'Day. But a murder on the show's opening night seems to hit the wrong target--and the police think that Billy was the intended victim.
Mary Newcomb
Chef Billy Blessing is a likeable detective, what with his interesting life, restaurant experiences and broadcasting career. This adventure in LA becomes complex and deadly until he finally sorts it all out. I especially like his show businessy comments, including one about that morning show weather guy.
I liked this book. I found the story plausible and fun to read. It did revolve a lot around food and eating, but that kind of fits Al Rokers style. I plan on reading his other book as well.

Some parts seemed kind of far fetched, but hey it is fiction.
Not as good as the previous collaboration, "The Morning Show Murders". The first one had me guessing until the end. This one was more predictable. Would like to see a third book, in which Billy Blessing returns to New York, or maybe a new city.
Marianne Stehr
I enjoy this series and I hope there is more to come. It is a quick read, humorous and has a good mystery behind it. Sometimes it is a little predicatble, but hey it is worth it for the laughs and the suspense.
Al Roker's Billy B;essing is once again caught up in murder this time on the West COast. I like the Billy Blessing charater. He is an average Joe who happens to get caught up in murder and mayhem and acts realistically.
Theresa Sivelle
I like these stories and Al Roker (the person reading the book) is great! The books draw me in and I find that I really like the characters and I can see and feel the areas and situations. Very entertaining.
Sarah Storaasli
If you love Al Romero, you'll love his "light" murder mysteries. They remind me a lot of Janet Evanovich novels. Lighthearted and fun. This definitely isn't a deep read but so much fun, none the less!
  • Clam Wake (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries, #29)
  • Mother's Day Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #15)
  • Silent Partner
  • Cemetery Road
Albert Lincoln "Al" Roker, Jr. is an American television meteorologist as well as an actor and book author. He is best known as being the weather anchor on NBC's Today
More about A.L. Roker...

Billy Blessing (3 books)
  • The Morning Show Murders (Billy Blessing, #1)
  • The Talk Show Murders (Billy Blessing, #3)

“Max turned to Trey. “You’re the expert” 0 likes