Start by marking “The Unexpected Bride (Bowen, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Unexpected Bride (Bowen, #1)

The Unexpected Bride (Bowen #1)

After the disaster of his first marriage, Haydon Bowen has no intention of marrying again. Unfortunately, his brother has some intentions of his own, and plans to see to it that Haydon finds happiness once more. So he answers a "groom wanted" advertisement -- in Haydon's name -- and sends Haydon to meet his new bride at the stagecoach stop!

For beautiful, cultured Rainelle
Paperback, Love Inspired Historical #90, 288 pages
Published May 2011 by Steeple Hill (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Unexpected Bride, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Unexpected Bride

Rivals in the Tudor Court by D.L. BogdanThe Turncoat by Donna ThorlandThe Falcons Of Montabard by Elizabeth ChadwickSnow by Tracy LynnA Surrendered Heart by Tracie Peterson
Why we don't dress like that? (Part 3)
43rd out of 90 books — 8 voters
Entwined by Heather DixonBetrayal by Mayandree MichelEnvy by Anna GodbersenThe Luxe by Anna GodbersenPrincess of the Midnight Ball by Jessica Day George
Best Dresses on the Cover
243rd out of 256 books — 180 voters

More lists with this book...

Tracy Smith
Aug 09, 2011 Tracy Smith rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Will an unsuspecting groom allow love and faith back into his heart so that he can claim "The Unexpected Bride?"

Placing an advertisement for a groom sends Rainee Devonwood into the arms of Haydon Bowen's family as she attempts to free herself from the evil abuse that her brother has insisted on inflicting upon her. Unbeknownst to Haydon, til the day of her arrival, his bother, Jess, has sent for her and now he must try to smooth out the situation and send her on her way since he has no intention
Debra Collins
May 06, 2011 Debra Collins rated it it was amazing
Wonderful Story! I absolutely loved this book. I was swept away in this beautiful love story from the first paragraph until the very last line. Debra's storytelling ability is phenomenal. Each scene was described in such detail, I felt like I was actually in Paradise Haven, in Idaho Territory. The story never slowed it's pace, it continued to build with each turn of the page.
Rainee Devonwood place a "groom wanted" advertisement in hopes of escaping a terrible and life threatening fate. As soon
Janine
Sep 27, 2014 Janine rated it it was amazing
"The Unexpected Bride" by Debra Ullrick is the first book around the Bowen family. This is the second time that I have read this book. To see that I gave it three stars the first time around there are only a few things that I can think that caused that, a slip of the mouse somewhere to downgrade it, I may not have been in the historical mood or I wasn't feeling good, for I just loved the book. I guess this book could be just like any fine wine that only gets better with age too.

The scars that a
Judy
Feb 25, 2012 Judy rated it it was amazing
The Unexpected Bride by Debra Ullrick
Hayden Bowen was married once and that was more than enough. His wife passed away and his brother thought he was doing Hayden a favor by answering an add a woman put out for a groom. Jess was wrong! Hayden picked the woman up at the stagecoach, after having to fight off a drunk who was trying to force himself upon her. He chose to let Jess tell her about what he did. Only Jess was too hurt from Hayden's horse, Rebel, kicking him because of Hayden's anger. Now
Vickie McDonough
May 30, 2011 Vickie McDonough rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A mail-order bride, an unwilling groom, and a pig

Marriage to a stranger from the rugged West is a far better choice for cultured Rainee Devonwood than staying in the home of her abusive brother. She hopes the Idaho Territory is far enough away that he will never find her. But all her plans go haywire when she arrives in Paradise Haven and discovers the man she came to marry didn’t order a bride and doesn’t want a wife. What will she do now?

Debra Ullrick does a great job of bringing to life the B
Apr 20, 2011 Laura rated it really liked it
Title: THE UNEXPECTED BRIDE
Author: Debra Ullrick
Publisher: Love Inspired Historical
May 2011
ISBN: 978-0-373-82870-8
Genre: Inspirational/historical romance

Rainelle Devonwood has been raised by a British father and a southern mother, so she is refined and cultured. When her parents are killed, signing up to be a mail-order bride to the wilderness of the Idaho Territories is preferable to staying with her abusive brother.

Haydon Bower has no intentions of marrying again. His first marriage was an ab
Julie
Rainelle (Rainee) Victoria Devonworth will do whatever it takes to get away from her abusive brother...even if it means putting out an ad for a husband. She could only hope the ad was answered sooner then later.

Haydon Bowen has had it with love. After the torment that Melanie put him through, he'll never marry again. However, Jesse has other plans in mind. To help his brother out, Jesse answers Rainee's ad and now Haydon finds himself looking for a woman at the train platform. Haydon is only sl
Delia
May 14, 2011 Delia rated it really liked it
Rainelle Devonwood is on the run. Desperate to escape her brother’s cruelty and avoid a forced marriage to a man whose heartlessness exceeds even that of her sibling, Rainee places a “Groom Wanted” ad and finds herself a husband in the Utah Territory.

Problem is, her groom-to-be doesn’t know he has a bride. Haydon Bowen has lived through one disastrous marriage, and has no plans to ever risk his heart again. So when his brother accepts a mail-order bride in Haydon’s name, he’s none too pleased. S
Michelle
More like 4.5 stars...

Heartwarming and inspirational, The Unexpected Bride delighted me. For real. I love historical romance anyway, and the more interesting the characters the more I like it. This romance was more than a one-kiss-at-the-end novel, which I appreciated. There was humor, adventure, and enough action to hold my interest. I read the story quickly. The spiritual thread was well done and felt natural to me. I have read a number of books where there are misunderstandings, but they ofte
Karen
Jul 21, 2014 Karen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: brain-candy
Rainelle Devonwood placed a "husband wanted" ad to escape from her mean brother. Fortunately, her ad was answered by Haydon Bowen, or so she thought. Actually his brother answered the ad to help Haydon overcome the his bad memories. Haydon, however, was less than pleased when he found out. Haydon's family was happy to help Rainelle when they heard her story. Will Haydon leave his past behind? A Christian romance, full of God's love, this is a book for adults who like historical romance.
Kay
Mar 06, 2012 Kay rated it really liked it
Shelves: print
4 Stars! ~ I rarely reach for an unknown Inspirational author's book as each author is unique in how they introduce Christian content and I'm not fond of strong content. To me Christian content is easier to read in Historical settings, especially Frontier / Western. This holds true for Debra Ullrick's debut. The content is presented in the most appropriate places and fits well with the overall tone of the book.

This romance is a very nice twist on the "mail order bride" theme, in that this time i
Shari Larsen
Jan 10, 2012 Shari Larsen rated it liked it
This story takes place in the Idaho Territories in the 1870's.

Haydon Bowen has no intentions of marrying again after his first marriage ended in disaster, but his brother had other plans, when he answers a "groom wanted" ad in his brother's name, and doesn't tell him until it's time for Haydon to meet her at the stagecoach stop.

For beautiful and cultured Rainee Devenwood, any dangers she may face in the Idaho Territories are preferable to staying with her abusive brother, after their parents hav
Leigh Bale
Feb 11, 2013 Leigh Bale rated it it was amazing
What a sweet story. Following the abuse of her brother, Rainee flees in hopes of finding happiness in marriage as a mail order bride. What she finds is Haydon, a many who wears scars on his heart and never plans to marry again. His brother has requested Rainee, in hopes Haydon will give life and love a second chance. Though adamant that he cannot marry Rainee, Haydon shows his romantic and generous heart time and time again. Helping Rainee overcome her fear of pigs. His gentle treatment of the " ...more
Geetanjali
Oct 14, 2014 Geetanjali rated it liked it
A good story as far as the romance goes but too much of emphasis on being Christian.I've read and loved Christian romances before but this one had almost nauseating amount of why and how only a Christian can lead a good life.
Bobbie
May 03, 2011 Bobbie rated it really liked it
Anyone who has ever “gone out on a limb” to chase a dream or escape from reality will enjoy this romance. In a desperate attempt to get away from an abusive brother and a fiancée, Rainee advertises for a husband. She receives an answer, but it isn’t the answer she wants. After traversing to the wilderness to meet her groom, she finds him unwilling. She has no money, no place to go and now no husband! I could feel her desperation. I wanted to see what would happen next and every time I thought th ...more
Joy Avery Melville
The Unexpected Bride is a good read - I plan to keep it for my daughter and granddaughters to read.
I've enjoyed MS Ullrick's books - especially the lighthearted previous books she's written.
TUB - is terrific in its plot - fun in the telling when one brother sets up an embittered sibling by providing what should have been ONE bride but turns out to be several.
Fun, thought-provoking for me and I believe, in my limited knowledge, it to be historically correct.
MS. Ullrick is an author to follow - s
Shawn
May 14, 2014 Shawn rated it liked it
It was a good read. Enjoyed this series.
Paula-O
May 02, 2011 Paula-O rated it liked it
Two brothers one married happily and one had been but marriage was not so happy and when she died he blamed himself promising never to marry again, sooooo happily married one answered a man wanted type ad in his brothers name and brought her out to be a bride, things got sticky at first but as circumstances had her stay with his mother for awhile and they were thrown together , I am happy to say both brothers were happy by the end of the story. this was a good tale by Debra Ullrick and you wont ...more
Marvy Herrera
What a wonderful way to enjoy my sunday.. Really beautiful story :)
Liz
Oct 26, 2014 Liz rated it really liked it
pretty good
Ligita Mikelytė
Jul 27, 2016 Ligita Mikelytė rated it it was ok
This book was too religious for my tastes.God every few sentences. If you go with God wishes you will be well, if you'll folow your desires it will turn to disaster. Though plot was fine, even some action in the end, but still not captivating.Also very chaste book. Sometimes I like books like this, tired after to much sex in romances, but in this book I couldn't feel that love they clamed to feel, no spark here and only few lukewarm kisses. Not reading second book.
Jamie
Sep 17, 2011 Jamie added it
The cover of this book caught my eye and when I saw that Debra Ullrick was the author I knew I wanted to read it. Once again Debra has written a compelling book that is hard to put down. As the story unfolds the reader becomes drawn to these two broken hearted people that need one another. As the action picks up you find yourself on the edge of your seat. It's a lovely story with a very satisfactory ending. I would highly recommend it.
Megan
Jul 07, 2014 Megan rated it really liked it
Shelves: paper
It was a little hard to believe someone who had gone through what she had gone through would be that bold but I guess the author wanted to show her spirit hadn't been broken. Technically written well. Once I was able to sit down and get into it, it was a fast read. Cute characters that you wanted to get together. Their actions may have been a little repetitive. Good read but not an overwhelmingly great piece of fiction. 3.75 stars.
Rhonda Gibson
Jun 08, 2011 Rhonda Gibson rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance
This mail-order bride story is a delightful read. Mrs. Ullrick created a story cocked full of emotions. The Unexpected Bride is a sweet romance full of action and adventure and a happily-ever-after ending. Did I mention, I laughed outloud? I did and think that you will too.
Melissa T
Aug 13, 2012 Melissa T rated it liked it
Ha! Just reading these mail-order-bride-completely-outlandish-plot lines makes me giggle. This one, obviously, takes a slightly different twist. I don't know why I like these so much!! For a stressful month, all of these cheesy books really hit the spot.
Lena
Sep 25, 2014 Lena rated it it was amazing
Really good!
Abbi
Sep 16, 2012 Abbi rated it liked it
I really liked the story line of this book! The only problem I had with it was that there were a lot of inconsistencies and redundancies and even some overly corny moments. But if you're able to look past those it is a really cute book!
LAWonder10
Jun 11, 2012 LAWonder10 rated it it was amazing
This was a delightful historical romance and kept one's interest to the very end.
It was a cute story and one could feel the emotions of sadness and joy along with the heroine.
Very cleanly written so even Young adults can safely enjoy it.
Susan
Jun 23, 2011 Susan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book and getting to know these characters. The story moved along at a great pace and had some quirky, funny parts--like a pet pig named "Kitty". A fun read.
Beth
Jun 09, 2012 Beth rated it it was amazing
Shelves: love-inspired
Can I just say I love Debra's books? Almost more than any other LI writer, her stories have just touched my heart and spoken to my soul. Can't wait to read more from her!
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Dec 17, 2014 07:22AM
  • Unlawfully Wedded Bride
  • Mail-Order Christmas Brides: Her Christmas Family\Christmas Stars for Dry Creek
  • The Wedding Season: Much Ado About Nuptials\The Gentleman Takes a Bride
  • The Earl's Mistaken Bride (The Parson's Daughters, #1)
  • The Wedding Journey (Irish Brides, # 1)
  • Handpicked Husband (Texas Grooms, #1)
  • The Rancher's Courtship (Brides of Simpson Creek, #4)
  • The Reluctant Outlaw (Smoky Mountain Matches, #1)
  • Mistaken Bride (Irish Brides, #2)
  • Love on the Range
  • A Convenient Wife
  • Wyoming Lawman (The Women of Swan's Nest, #2)
  • Engaging the Earl
  • An Honorable Gentleman
Debra Ullrick is a New York Times, CBA, and Amazon.com bestselling author who writes Christian contemporary, historical, and romantic suspense novels. Her passions include: monster trucks, classic cars, mud-bog racing and...Want to know more about Debra? What books are available by her? Or read reviews from her fans? Discover her hobbies and more? Then cruise her website at www.DebraUllrick.com.
More about Debra Ullrick...

Bowen (4 books)
  • The Unlikely Wife (Bowen, #2)
  • Groom Wanted (Bowen, #3)
  • The Unintended Groom (Bowen, #4)