Start by marking “The American Café (Sadie Walela, #2)” as Want to Read:
The American Café (Sadie Walela, #2)

The American Café (Sadie Walela #2)

3.91  ·  Rating Details  ·  44 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
When Sadie Walela decides to pursue her childhood dream of owning a restaurant, she has no idea that murder will be on the menu.

In this second book in the Sadie Walela series, set in the heart of the Cherokee Nation, Sadie discovers life as an entrepreneur is not as easy as she anticipated. On her first day, she is threatened by the town’s resident "crazy" woman and the f
Published April 15th 2011 by University of Arizona Press (first published April 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The American Café, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The American Café

Ariel
Sep 11, 2011 Ariel rated it really liked it
Series: 2nd in Sadie Walela Mysteries

Sensuality: n/a

Mystery Sub-genre: Cozy, Amateur Sleuth

Main Character: Sadie Walela, new owner of a cafe

Setting: Modern day, small town Liberty Oklahoma (Cherokee Country)

Obtained Through: Library Find

Sadie follows a dream and purchases a cafe in Liberty from Goldie Ray. Goldie wants to retire and enjoy life a little while she can since her health is failing. Before Sadie has a chance to re-open the cafe, Goldie is murdered in her home. The local crazy woman s
Katie
Jul 10, 2012 Katie rated it it was ok
I almost liked this book. I rarely read mysteries, and I'm glad it's a book by a not-dead, not-white, not-guy, so I TRIED to like it. But it's boring. The dialogue is clunky, the monologues are clunky and repetitive and simplistic, the mystery is not very compelling. It's not BAD, it's just not good. I did learn a couple of words in Cherokee, though. "Osiyo" means hello, and "Wado" means thank you. And the farm life Sadie, the protagonist of the series, lives while not at work, is familiar enoug ...more
Grandpa Joe
Oct 23, 2014 Grandpa Joe rated it liked it
Sadie Walela, the main character, is a small-town Oklahoman of Cherokee ancestry. Possessed of an urge to purchase a cafe, Sadie does so. Events begin to unfold - beginning with the murder of the cafe's former owner - before Sadie has time to adjust to her new life as cafe owner. At various points, the story dwells on differences between Cherokee customs and those of white Oklahomans. This book is a decent, but not compelling, murder mystery.
Lisa
Sep 18, 2011 Lisa rated it did not like it
A small university press typically publishes books more cerebral or books with atypical subject matter. So I expected much more than I got from University of Arizona's "The American Cafe". The quality of the writing in this book is downright laughable. The reader is tortured by sentences like "The brown sticky residue in the pan reeked of brown sugar and cinnamon." Now I don't know about you, but to me the definition of the word "reeked" refers to a smell that is unpleasant. It's bad enough the ...more
Leslie
Sep 30, 2011 Leslie rated it liked it
Hoklotubbe has an enjoyable new entry into the genre of Native American mysteries - and a cozy style mystery at that. Sadie Walela has decided to pursue her dream of owning a cafe in the wake of a prior robbery at the bank where she'd been working. Having found the perfect cafe being sold by a lovely lady with health issues, Sadie thinks she's ready to fulfill he dream of recreating her aunt's American Cafe. Little does she know that trouble awaits - but she finds out soon enough when the former ...more
Malka Essock
Nov 26, 2015 Malka Essock rated it it was amazing
I read the first book in this series and enjoyed it so much, that I immediately started in on this one, which i enjoyed even more! I wish Ms. Hoklotubbe, for our sake, a long, long, writing career!
Terrie
Nov 12, 2014 Terrie rated it liked it
a "Let's talk about it Oklahoma" selection. Pleasant little mystery set in NE Oklahoma. Lots of Native American info. I'd be willing to read more in this series.
Sheila
Aug 24, 2016 Sheila rated it it was amazing
I loved this cafe and its customers. Please see my review of Hoklotubbe's "Deception on All Accounts."
Allison
Jun 01, 2011 Allison rated it really liked it
The author of this book is from Colorado and is a member of the Rocky Mountain Mystery Writers group. The story's main character is Sadie Walela, a Cherokee, who has dreamed of owning a diner since she was a child. The morning after Sadie buys the diner in Liberty, OK, it's previous owner is found dead and a crazy woman threatens Sadie with a shotgun. The author provides insight into the Cherokee Nation, as well as writing an entertaining story.
Katharine
Oct 05, 2012 Katharine rated it it was amazing
What makes this book so special are the characters, especially Sadie Walela, and the insights into the Cherokee culture. The author draws on her own heritage to give the book a special richness. I loved it as a mystery and as a multi-layered story about people I really came to care about. I hope we see lots more of Sadie and some of the other characters in the book, e.g. Lance Smith,who's the perfect match for Sadie!
Coni
Jan 07, 2014 Coni rated it it was amazing
The latest book from one of my favorite authors! (Along with Lee Child, James Lee Burke, & Janet Evanovich). I admit that I don't read books to critique them, I read for pure escapism! And this book did not disappoint! I want to visit this little town in Oklahoma and visit with these characters! The author really succeeded in describing the places and people! I can't wait to read the next book in this series!
Betty Clarkson
Jun 17, 2011 Betty Clarkson rated it really liked it
Very well written. A different type of amateur detective, involving bits of history and cherokee language/lore. This is the second in a series about Sadie Walela - now I have to go back to read the first!
Jane
Jane marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2016
Kate Raphael
Kate Raphael is currently reading it
Aug 12, 2016
Nancy
Nancy rated it really liked it
Jul 23, 2016
Betsy Anderson
Betsy Anderson rated it really liked it
Jun 26, 2016
Linda Donohue
Linda Donohue marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2016
Virginia S
Virginia S rated it really liked it
May 27, 2016
Catherine
Catherine marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2016
Alvin Rauh
Alvin Rauh rated it it was amazing
Apr 17, 2016
LG
LG added it
Feb 19, 2016
Ian Donnelly
Ian Donnelly marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2016
Sadie Jo
Sadie Jo marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2015
Alice Keil
Alice Keil rated it really liked it
Nov 27, 2015
Laura Frye
Laura Frye rated it it was amazing
Oct 10, 2015
Gale
Gale rated it it was amazing
Feb 17, 2015
Alan
Alan marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2015
Patricia Stoltey
Patricia Stoltey marked it as to-read
Dec 31, 2014
Lesley
Lesley rated it liked it
Nov 24, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
520532
Sara Sue Hoklotubbe is the author of the Sadie Walela Mystery Series and winner of the New Mexico/Arizona Book Award for Mystery/Suspense, winner of the WILLA Literary Award by Women Writing the West, and winner of Mystery of the Year by Wordcraft Circle of Native Writers and Storytellers. She was also a finalist for the ForeWord Book of the Year Award and the Oklahoma Book Award.

She may be reach
More about Sara Sue Hoklotubbe...

Sadie Walela (3 books)
  • Deception on All Accounts (Sadie Walela, #1)
  • Sinking Suspicions (Sadie Walela, #3)