Start by marking “Peter and the Secret of Rundoon (Starcatchers Series #3)” as Want to Read:
Peter and the Secret of Rundoon (Starcatchers Series #3)

Peter and the Secret of Rundoon (Peter and the Starcatchers #3)

4.15  ·  Rating Details  ·  17,479 Ratings  ·  807 Reviews
In this action-packed third installment in the Starcatchers series, Peter and Molly find themselves in the dangerous land of Rundoon, ruled by an evil king who enjoys watching his pet snake consume those who displease him. But that's just the beginning of problems facing our heroes, who once again find themselves pitted against the evil shadow-creature Lord Ombra in a stru ...more
Published November 23rd 2010 by Disney Press (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Peter and the Secret of Rundoon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Peter and the Secret of Rundoon

Krystal
A great finish to the Peter and the Starcatchers series! I've really never been a big Peter Pan fan but these books made me love Peter. I always thought Peter Pan was too arrogant but these books shed a light on Peter's vulnerable, sweet side. I love how they set up the story because all the classic things about Peter Pan (his shadow, Tinker Bell, the clock in the crocodile, Captain Hook) are explained and it gives you that "ah-ha!" moment. All the books were very enjoyable and I still get a gig ...more
Thomas
If you’ve read the previous two books in the Peter Pan prequel trilogy, then you ought to take the time to read through this last book in the series. It follows the other books pretty logically, and it maintains the same sense of whimsy, adventure, and imagination that the previous books had. Unfortunately, it’s a little dense with detail, and more than a little overlong in its presentation.

Let’s be honest for a moment: Peter and the Starcatchers was really the only book necessary as a prequel t
June
Apr 27, 2008 June rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: adventure and fantasy readers
Recommended to June by: Gordon
Shelves: fantasy
I read this in one day. I really enjoyed this series and I don't know that I ever read Peter Pan. I don't consider myself a Peter Pan fan. They are great adventures and I love the concepts behind the story: star stuff, shadow stealing and how they work these in to explain parts of the original story. A really fun read.
Kyra
Feb 09, 2008 Kyra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Guess
I think this one is the best in the series! It is absolutly posotivly an AMAZING BOOK!!!!!!!!!!!
Alice
I'd been taking these books out on audio from the library. But I enjoyed them so much, I went ahead and purchased this one. They're fun, entertaining, and the narration is excellent.

This is the third book about the origin of Peter Pan, which posits that he got his ability to fly from a long exposure to "star stuff," a glittery powder that can bring about all kinds of miracles. In this, he's kidnapped to Rundoon, where the bad guys (the Others; why they call themselves that is beyond me) have a b
Charlyn
Peter's quiet life on the island is changed when the island is attacked by a murderous tribe. When Peter tries to come to the aid of the peaceful Mollusk tribe, he is downed by a poison arrow from the Scorpions. His weakened state allows him to be captured by the evil, reappearing shadow Lord Ombra who takes Peter to Rundoon. Peter's magical abilities to locate starstuff fall, a quality that he himself didn't even know he had, is needed for nefarious purposes by Ombra and the dark side he repres ...more
Kathy Davie
Nov 05, 2011 Kathy Davie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children, fantasy

Third in the Peter and the Starcatchers children's fantasy-adventure series based upon the Peter Pan of James Barrie fame.

My Take
We learn a tiny bit about Peter's parents as well as a wee bit about Peter himself. The important part of the story is saving the world from Lord Ombra and his Darkness and eliminating the slave trade between Rundoon and St. Norbert's even as Peter fears the watchfulness of his own shadow. Is it even his own?

I do love how Barry and Pearson manage to tie in bits and p
Melissa
Dec 21, 2007 Melissa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this trilogy to set up Peter Pan - the authors were meticulous in addressing details I'd even forgotten about (the ticking clock, the name Pan . . ) I wish I could live in this world a bit longer. I was sad to see this series end but loved ever minute of it!
Cassandra
My Thoughts - 5 out of 5 Unicorns - I loved it!!!
***Borrowed the audiobook CD’s from the library

The cover is definitely a magical adventure that grabs your attention and says read me :)

I really do love that Jim Dale has continued as the narrator :) I love when there is consistency, and my son feels the same way. We listened to this book to and from school. It makes our ride enjoyable, and I get to share my book addiction with him.

This adventure was just as epic as all the other Peter and the St
Tara
Mar 14, 2009 Tara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who knows the story of Peter Pan, and who wants to know how everything happened and why.
Recommended to Tara by: Natalie
Amy
Aug 22, 2012 Amy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
I am going to review all three of these ("Peter and the Starcatchers" "Peter and the Shadow Theives" and "Peter and the Secret of Rundoon" in one review.

I loved all three of these books. They make wonderful prequels to the original "Peter Pan" story and set up how Peter became, well, Peter! There are little hints that refer to things to come which are enjoyable (oh that's how Neverland became magical, that's how Captain Hook came to be and hates Peter, etc) So as a fan of "Peter Pan" these three
Mar 21, 2009 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
While this was still a very good book; it was as good as the first two in the trilogy. It dragged on in placed and was a little longer than it needed to be. The events also seemed more random, and while they tied together at the end it was a bit of a stretch. But...it is the history of Peter Pan, so I guess a stretch should be expected. I may have also not liked this book as well because I did not have as much time to read it as quickly as the first two(vacation, sickness, etc); and I tend to ge ...more
Carol
Mar 03, 2014 Carol rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book never slows down.

Molly and George are busy trying to find answers to some difficult questions, Mollusk Island is about to be invaded by the Scorpion tribe, the pirates are busy being pirates. Then there are poison arrows, underwater ships, Lord Ombra, Hook, Rundoon and it's horrible king Zarboff the Third, snakes, flying camels, monkeys and rockets, more "lost boys", way too much olive oil and flying ships with Captain Hook at the helm - it is great.

When our heroes make it back to Moll
Apr 14, 2015 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks, ya, series, 4-star
I can't say it enough: I really, really like this series.

I like Peter so much better in this series than in any other incarnation of Peter Pan that I've known (I've not read the original book yet, so I'm pretty much relying on other stories and movies). I feel like in those he's rather one-dimensional; no depth. But in this series he's a real person! He has feelings! Thoughts! Not just a devilish imp who enjoys taunting pirates and never growing up. I like having the insight into his past, and
Amy
Aug 01, 2011 Amy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kayla
I love this series so much, and I'm sad to see this trilogy end! Peter and the Secret of Rundoon is a fast-paced, wonderfully humorous, incredibly creative conclusion to a beautiful rendition of how Peter Pan could have come to exist.

All of the characters in this book are wonderfully thought out and set into the plot. From Molly's Starcatcher father to Captain Hook himself, each plays their role wonderfully (or sinister-ly, if referring to the pirate). I couldn't stop flipping the pages, wanting
Katrina Gudgeon
I was really bummed with this one. THere were so many different things going on, and with the short chapters everything just seemed really disjointed. The last two books both got 5 stars from me, so I know this could have been so much better. I didn't understand the whole plot woth the Scorpions. It just seemed really random to me and I really don't think it needed to be there. I'm still planning on finsihing this series, but I really hope this book isn't a reflection on what's to come because t ...more
Brigham Inkley
Mar 23, 2015 Brigham Inkley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thought that this book was really good. This book was the start introducing book of all of the Peter Pan characters that we know of such as the Darlings. It also had the same main villain, who I thought was to be dead. That was a real, but somewhat pleasant surprise. Also, as you would think, Peter is back. There is one more really cool thing. The lost boys, the lost boys in all of our child hood memories and in the Walt Disney movie were introduced and took over for the old ones. So overall I ...more
Simone Sylvester
In this book we discover a little more about Peter's heritage, as well as find out what happened to a fellow Starcatcher.
I can't believe that after years grown men never followed the breadcrumbs back to the newspaper office, yet Molly and George managed it in a snap. How? Be ashamed senior Starcatchers. Be ashamed.

This time we're off (without Daddy's permission again!) to Rundoon to investigate some strange happenings and follow up on a few leads.
The odd thing is that the Others located some Sta
Kristi
May 26, 2014 Kristi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had read Peter and the Starcatchers a few years ago, and loved it... hmm, more than a few years since it was before my eldest was born. That same child now LOVES all things Peter Pan, and so I revisited the series with the idea to read a chapter a night to the 5 yr old.

Not a good idea. I'm so glad I started reading BEFORE mentioning my brilliant idea to him! This will be the perfect read-together series in another 5 years... but honestly, there's 2 areas of concern for younger fans:

1) He doesn
Jaap Akkermans
May 25, 2015 Jaap Akkermans rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Peter had just solved two big mysteries. He wanted to be left alone, but as always, the mysteries and problems came to him. Because of this, he reunited with his friend in England called Molly and they went on a ship to somewhere called Rundoon. They found a great mystery there and were determined to solve it. They just found that this mystery was greater than imagined and if they didn't solve it the whole planet would suffer. This book is about hope, friendship, and mystery.
Brittany Hayes
Jul 20, 2008 Brittany Hayes rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was a spiffy book; very unpredicable!

I like how the Starcathers trilogy incorprates the backstory of different elements of Peter Pan that the book doesn't go in depth about, into the story like how Never Neverland and every one upon the island stays the same age forever because of the starstuff that leaked throw the hull of the ship as Captain Hook flew it in the sky that was very clever!
Carmen
A strong conclusion to the Peter and the Starcatchers trilogy (though I think there are still more books, so I have to figure that out...) that wraps up how Peter got the last name Pan, why Ombra has been pursuing starstuff, who the Lost Boys in Jim Barrie's book are, why Peter later came to visit Wendy, and so much more. I didn't enjoy this one as much as the first two--possibly because I've just been tired while reading it, but it felt like there was too much going on. In all of the books ther ...more
Jennifer (livresaddicted)
Jul 17, 2015 Jennifer (livresaddicted) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: disney, own
What I love the most about these books is the way it explains so many questions I didn't have about Peter Pan. Like how the lost boys are the lost boys or Why the croc ate a clock. I can't wait to read the other ones!
Caitlin Meisenbach
What a fun adventure! This series has gotten increasingly enjoyable as the first three books have progressed. (Also, increasingly scary. Not sure how young kids might handle it.) I've really enjoy watching these characters mature and how that affects their relationships.

This really felt like the end of the story, though. At the end, rather than rushing off to get the next book, I felt really satisfied with where things were.

One quibble: Molly had always been such a good example of a strong, smar
Shane Hurst
Jun 30, 2015 Shane Hurst rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kathleen
Jul 05, 2014 Kathleen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"'He's watching you.'
'Who is?' Peter asked.
Tink pointed at Peter's shadow. 'He is.'"

Peter and Molly thought their problems were over, but they may have been overestimating their luck. The third book of the series reveals a disastrous evil plan and brings Peter closer to the past than ever before. I personally enjoyed the first two books of the series more but still think Peter and the Secret of Rundoon was thrilling. If you've read the other books, you cannot afford to miss this one. It really
Jeffrey Howard
A fun, fast-paced adventure that young readers will love. The villain, Lord Ombra, is reminiscent of a shapeless, and similarly-frightening Lord Voldemort. He is almost omnipresent as a literal shadow character out to rid the world of light--he is bent on destroying the universe. Cap'n Hook's villainy pales in comparison to him. He makes a few appearances and maintains a minor role.

Barry creates an interesting, magic-infused alternative history of the world based around Starcatchers and The Othe
Jenevieve
Oct 29, 2014 Jenevieve rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids
Check out all my reviews on My Blog

The 3rd book in the Starcatchers series. The reports of starstuff falls are no longer being reported to the Starcatchers and Lord Aster is heading to France to discuss the matter with the other Starcatchers. Molly, curious as always, ends up sneaking away and doing some research to find out that the mysterious reports came from a Mr. Pan who disappeared 12 years ago, about the same time an infant named Peter was deposited at St. Norbert's as an orphan. Through
Alec
Aug 18, 2014 Alec rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is both a consistently good and consistently surprising series. Jim Dale puts it all over the top. Dave Berry does an excellent job of reimagining a story that is both well known and incomplete at the same time. It seems that each story brings another of the Peter Pan characters into focus and adds depth, history, and details to them that complement what you already know. He handles these additions in a way that feel loyal to the original and creative at the same time.

The Secret of Rundoon
  • Disney in Shadow (Kingdom Keepers, #3)
  • Once Upon a Crime (The Sisters Grimm, #4)
  • Capt. Hook: The Adventures of a Notorious Youth
  • Leven Thumps and the Whispered Secret (Leven Thumps, #2)
  • The Time Thief (The Gideon Trilogy, #2)
  • Who's Afraid of the Big Bad Book?
  • No Place for Magic (The Tales of the Frog Princess, #4)
  • Peter Pan in Scarlet
  • Dragon Spear (Dragon Slippers, #3)
  • Fairy Haven and the Quest for the Wand (Disney Fairies #2)
  • E. Aster Bunnymund and the Warrior Eggs at the Earth's Core
  • Dandelion Fire (100 Cupboards, #2)
Dave Barry is a humor columnist. For 25 years he was a syndicated columnist whose work appeared in more than 500 newspapers in the United States and abroad. In 1988 he won the Pulitzer Prize for Commentary. Many people are still trying to figure out how this happened.
Dave has also written a total of 30 books, although virtually none of them contain useful information. Two of his books were used as
More about Dave Barry...

Peter and the Starcatchers (5 books)
  • Peter and the Starcatchers (Peter and the Starcatchers, #1)
  • Peter and the Shadow Thieves (Peter and the Starcatchers, #2)
  • Peter and the Sword of Mercy (Peter and the Starcatchers, #4)
  • The Bridge to Never Land (Peter and the Starcatchers, #5)