Start by marking “Ice Around the Edges” as Want to Read:
Ice Around the Edges

Ice Around the Edges (Naughty or Nice)

3.58  ·  Rating Details  ·  595 Ratings  ·  64 Reviews
This title is part of the 2010 Advent Calendar: 2010 Advent Calendar: Naughty or Nice

Evan Kano’s life is on an even keel until the night he’s shot at the homeless shelter where he works. The resulting turmoil is not caused by a bullet but by a blast from the past: Evan’s first lover has returned to visit him in the hospital and deliver some big news.

Ten years ago, Dixon B
Published December 1st 2010 by Dreamspinner Press

To ask other readers questions about Ice Around the Edges, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ice Around the Edges

Beaten But Unconquered by Bryn ColvinDragon’s Egg by Lena AustinMarked by Sean MichaelTopping Timothy by Erin O'NiallMan To Man by G.A. Hauser
Worst Gay Book Covers
114th out of 257 books — 307 voters
Shock & Awe by Abigail RouxAmong the Living by Jordan Castillo PriceMuscling Through by J.L. MerrowIcecapade by Josh LanyonSock it to Me, Santa! by Madison  Parker
M/M Romance Short Stories and Novellas
100th out of 317 books — 65 voters

More lists with this book...

Karen
Mar 14, 2016 Karen rated it liked it
Shelves: read-mm
I know, more Mary Calmes but in fairness to me this is a holiday story. I really enjoyed this story with the exception of the fact that it felt more like I got plunked down in the middle of a story and really only got to read a slice of it.

'Ice Around the Edges' was approximately 30ish pages long and to me it read more like a long scene from what should have been and potentially could have been a longer story.

The scene which takes place at a hospital where Evan is recovering from a gunshot wound
Otila
Jul 09, 2014 Otila rated it liked it
Recommended to Otila by: Rosa, really
All Dixon wants for Christmas is Evan.

Evan wakes up in the hospital after being shot to find his college boyfriend, whom he hasn’t seen in almost a decade, there wanting to get back together.

This is a really short story and Mary still manages to pack it all in. The eyebrow waggle, the excessive outerwear descriptions, feeding our MC, and even the completely pointless scene where a random ex shows up to show us how much our MC is wanted... It really is Christmas in July.

Rosa, really
Jul 10, 2014 Rosa, really rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Calmes fans desperate for a fix.

Srsly, you guys...

description

Other than that ----> What she said.
Mandy*reads obsessively*
2.5

What to say without saying too much? I probably can't do that...:)

Hmmm...Evan is recuperating from a gunshot ( and I guess the chest wound wasn't so serious since the day of his release..he's ready for some other kind of..oh never mind.)
Anyway, who walks in but his ex Dixon.
Now I will say I liked their back and forth, I believed they were 'it' for each other and that they wanted and loved the other.. but Dixon is an asshat of epic proportions in my option.
He left Evan after 4 years of living
Bubbles  Hunty Honest & Direct Opinions
For a couple of assholes they sure where sweet in their own way
qx
Jan 29, 2011 Honey rated it it was ok
Ami
Dec 09, 2010 Ami rated it liked it
Shelves: mm-short-stories
Evan Kano wakes up in a hospital to see his ex-lover, Dixon Bain, at his side. Ten years ago, out of fear for his family's disapproval of his relationship with a man, Dixon chose to walk out of Evan. This year, however, Dixon is determined to show Evan that he never stops loving him -- that he will do anything to fix his mistake.

Well, the idea of stupid-ex who returns for forgiveness and second chances always hook me in. What's better season to do that than Christmas, right? I like the banter b
Lucy
Nov 25, 2011 Lucy rated it really liked it
While I liked the character of Evan, I hated Dixon. Are you kidding me? You are with the so called love of your life for four years, then randomly eavesdrop a conversation between your super rich dad and super rich gramps,methinks they are discussing said love of life's unsuitability and you just dump him? No explanation and for ten years you don't bother to even ASK your family why they are bigoted asshats? You don't bother to make even a token effort to find out what they meant, or even defend ...more
Plainbrownwrapper
Dec 27, 2012 Plainbrownwrapper rated it liked it
Shelves: mm
Hmmmm.

Sometimes I do like Mary Calmes, sometimes I want to throw her stuff across the room. With this story, I kind of want to do both at the same time.

I like the way this is written. The prose did a good job of sucking me into the story. OTOH, I really really didn't like one of the MCs, and it seemed that his failings were glossed over much too easily.

Here's the deal:

The first MC, Evan, is a crusader who works at a homeless shelter. At the beginning of the story, just before Christmas, he is
Nikyta *Miss Forgetful*
After a misunderstanding ten years ago, Dixon's come back to Evan after he hears Evan's been shot. They both still love each other but it's hard for Evan to get over Dixon abruptly leaving him over a decade earlier.

I really liked this story. It was a sweet and simple read and I loved Evan. As with all Mary's main characters, Evan is instantly liked by everyone. Dixon is an assertive, determined guy and he won't let Evan slip through his fingers again so that made me love Dixon, too. Plus, who ca
BWT (Belen)
This is classic Calmes.

Seriously. Totally classic Calmes from everything to the gorgeous-but-doesn't-believe-it MC, to the bullshit breakup years prior, to the no-one-means-as-much-as-you reunion, with eyebrow waggles and all.

Classic Calmes crack. And I cannot get enough.

Recommended for Calmes lovers!
Serena Yates
Dec 03, 2010 Serena Yates rated it it was amazing
Shelves: gay
This is just such a perfect Christmas story. I'll admit that I'm a sucker for reunions, and this is one of the best I've ever encountered. It isn't easy, or immediate. Evan has a lot to work through if he ever wants to let Dixon back into his life. I liked the realism of that. There is just enough doubt in Evan's mind to keep the tension up and really draw the reader in. Very, very touching!
PettyProse
Jun 23, 2011 PettyProse rated it it was amazing
Review: This was a rewarding read with a refreshingly mature approach towards a reunion romance plot.
Review for Brief Encounters Reviews: http://briefencountersreviews.com/201...

Evan is the narrator, a sympathetic and attractive character. In the opening scene, he appears overwhelmed by Dixon’s larger-than-life presence, but from then on his sense and caution hold the story together. It’s a fine use of first person, allowing a balance of personal emotion, wit and angst. Dixon’s arrogance was sta
Tara
Ten years after their relationship ended, Evan gets shot and Dixon rushes to his side. But it's been 10 years and a lot has happened. Things have changed. Their relationship may have ended, but did the feelings fade? And why did this relationship end anyway? And is it too late? Has one of them moved on? Do they just need closure? That's what they need to find out.

Sweet quick holiday read. Like all short stories, I always want more, but I did get the complete story so I can't complain.
K.S. Morgan
Apr 19, 2015 K.S. Morgan rated it it was ok
The review contains spoilers.

Honestly, it pissed me off. The writing was good, the idea was wonderful - but the story was too short and it didn't have any psychological depth. Most importantly - I didn't see any love between Dixon and Evan. Oh, Evan was in love all right, but Dixon?? So, he left Evan because he thought his Dad didn't approve of their relationship. Then, ten years later, Dixon heard about Evan's shooting and casually talked about it during family dinner. The truth suddenly came o
Don Bradshaw
Dec 08, 2010 Don Bradshaw rated it it was amazing
Shelves: gay-romance
Evan Kanos is lying in the hospital and who walks in but Dixon Bain. The two guys were partners through college but broke up with Dixon moving back to N.Y. and Evan staying in Chicago. I really enjoyed the well paced and easy banter between the two men. The story was very interesting. The real question though is CAN YOU REALLY GO BACK AFTER 10 YEARS?
Chris
Dec 05, 2010 Chris rated it liked it
Good short holiday m/m romance about a guy who's in the hospital recuperating from being shot and is very surprised when the ex who dumped him out of the blue ten years ago shows up at his bedside.
Megan
Oct 28, 2015 Megan rated it liked it
Shelves: sexy, romantic, mm
I liked it. It's actually hard to find something that stands out in this book. I mean, it's a typical Mary Calmes book, which means the sex is hot and the MCs are a bit obsessed with one another, and while those elements typically make for a fantastic book, this short story seemed a bit pedestrian for what I've come to expect from Calmes.

Calmes is one of my most favorite authors and everything I love about her writing style is present in this story. The interaction between the two men is sweet a
Betryal
Dec 08, 2015 Betryal rated it really liked it
Shelves: holiday-reads
*** 4.5 ***
Morgan  Skye
Nov 21, 2015 Morgan Skye rated it really liked it
This is a short story from the Advent Calendar series in 2010.

Evan is in the hospital recovering from a bullet wound when his ex, Dixon shows up. Dixon left Evan 10 years ago because he thought he’d be disowned for being gay.

Neither guy has gotten over the other and after a much needed discussion occurs between Dixon and his family, the time looks like it might be right for reconciliation.

I love Mary so much. Her lovers are always so well matched. Dixon is so cock-sure but flawed and Evan is
Book Utopia
Jul 25, 2011 Book Utopia rated it liked it
Color me silly, but I kind of like reading Christmas stories in July. It’s easier to get an objective opinion about them without being subjected to all the nostalgia of the season. A lot of times, they don’t hold up beyond being holiday fare, and while this one lacks any kind of depth or sense of character to make it truly memorable, I still found myself enjoying it.

The plot is a simple one. After good guy Evan gets shot, his ex Dixon shows up at the hospital. The pretense is to see how Evan is
Janna
Evan is recovering from being shot at the shelter where he works when his first boyfriend, Dixon, comes to visit him unexpectedly. Ten years ago they broke up over a misunderstanding and now Dixon wants him back. But the reason of their break-up is still a bit of a problem.
As I've seen in other books byMary Calmes, one of the heroes is pretty much of a macho. In fact, in this case I found Dixon to be a bit of an (over)confident ass. And there's nothing wrong with that, because it can bring some
Bea
Nov 05, 2013 Bea rated it did not like it
O_o

No me gusta como está escrito. Los diálogos me parecen absurdos y sin sentido, lo que consiguió que le perdiera el interés y me resultara aburrido.

La trama no me emocionaba demasiado. Una pareja rota por el miedo de uno de ellos en el pasado y se vuelven a encontrar 10 años después y el que cometió el error se tiene que ganar de nuevo al otro... eso es lo que sacas más o menos del resumen. Pensé que siendo una historia corta y navideña (me suelen gustar bastante) algo se salvaría... Pues resu
Meredith
Dec 20, 2015 Meredith rated it really liked it
Late to the party, I know! I just got my hands on this and I knew, because it was a Mary Calmes anything, I was going to love it. Too short of course, but that's the greed talking. This could have been an epic novel and I would have loved to see that. I love the long time ago love swooping in after so many years, to take care of the wounded one and they fall back in love together. I wanted more. I had a lot of questions but it was still awesome and holiday cheerful!
Lois - Who Reads
This feels like is only the middle of the book. Two men reconnecting after ten years (and that break up was caused by a really stupid misunderstanding) and then it just sort of ends. They have very different lives in different states and there is no description of how this going to work out or even if it does work out.
Teetee
Dec 08, 2014 Teetee rated it liked it
Oh joy, a Mary Calmes book I didn’t even know about! And it’s a Christmas book! It was short though, and had the Mary Calmes groove-awesome main character who doesn’t get how great he is. I liked it ok but there was a lot skimmed over (Evan forgives Dixon fairly easily) and a rather quickly implied HFN. But still, its Mary Calmes!
Harel
Oct 25, 2015 Harel rated it liked it
This made me have a dream, brought me a some memories.

But I don't bloody like the cover. It seemed it was gonna be something far different.

Short. Not that bad. It's all I can say.
Barb ~rede-2-read~
Dec 11, 2012 Barb ~rede-2-read~ rated it really liked it
I love Mary Calmes and this holiday story ranks right up there with some of my favorite stories. This is about Evan and Dixon, two young men who broke up 10 years ago. It turns out that they broke up due to a misunderstanding and, it also turns out that neither of them has forgotten their love for the other. Dixon shows up at the hospital where Evan is recuperating from a gunshot wound. Their love, which has always simmered below the surface, has an opportunity for renewal with this visit. The s ...more
EmeArsh
Jun 03, 2015 EmeArsh rated it really liked it
it's Mary Calmes, so I love how she has written it. But it wasn't all that strong, the storyline.
  • Hopes and Fears
  • The Santa Mug
  • All Snug
  • You Can't Choose Your Family
  • Talk To Me
  • Reindeer Games (Reindeer Games, #1)
  • The Long Way Home
  • The Gift
  • I Heard Him Exclaim
  • The Match Before Christmas  (The Match Before Christmas #1)
  • I'll Run Away For The Holidays
  • 2010 Advent Calendar: Naughty or Nice
  • Mistletoe at Midnight
Mary Calmes lives in Lexington, Kentucky, with her husband and two children and loves all the seasons except summer. She graduated from the University of the Pacific in Stockton, California, with a bachelor's degree in English literature. Due to the fact that it is English lit and not English grammar, do not ask her to point out a clause for you, as it will so not happen. She loves writing, becomi ...more
More about Mary Calmes...

Naughty or Nice (1 - 10 of 31 books)
  • All Snug