Start by marking “Ice Around the Edges” as Want to Read:
Ice Around the Edges

Ice Around the Edges (Naughty or Nice)

3.6 of 5 stars 3.60  ·  rating details  ·  505 ratings  ·  52 reviews
This title is part of the 2010 Advent Calendar: 2010 Advent Calendar: Naughty or Nice

Evan Kano’s life is on an even keel until the night he’s shot at the homeless shelter where he works. The resulting turmoil is not caused by a bullet but by a blast from the past: Evan’s first lover has returned to visit him in the hospital and deliver some big news.

Ten years ago, Dixon B
Published December 1st 2010 by Dreamspinner Press

To ask other readers questions about Ice Around the Edges, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ice Around the Edges

Beaten But Unconquered by Bryn ColvinDragon’s Egg by Lena AustinMarked by Sean MichaelTopping Timothy by Erin O'NiallMan To Man by G.A. Hauser
Worst Gay Book Covers
124th out of 244 books — 291 voters
Shock & Awe by Abigail RouxAmong the Living by Jordan Castillo PriceDirty Deeds by S.E. JakesMuscling Through by J.L. MerrowWicked Solutions by Havan Fellows
M/M Romance Short Stories and Novellas
88th out of 258 books — 41 voters

More lists with this book...

Otila
Jul 09, 2014 Otila rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Otila by: Rosa, really
All Dixon wants for Christmas is Evan.

Evan wakes up in the hospital after being shot to find his college boyfriend, whom he hasn’t seen in almost a decade, there wanting to get back together.

This is a really short story and Mary still manages to pack it all in. The eyebrow waggle, the excessive outerwear descriptions, feeding our MC, and even the completely pointless scene where a random ex shows up to show us how much our MC is wanted... It really is Christmas in July.

Rosa, really

Srsly, you guys...

description

Other than that ----> What she said.
Mandy*reads obsessively*
2.5

What to say without saying too much? I probably can't do that...:)

Hmmm...Evan is recuperating from a gunshot ( and I guess the chest wound wasn't so serious since the day of his release..he's ready for some other kind of..oh never mind.)
Anyway, who walks in but his ex Dixon.
Now I will say I liked their back and forth, I believed they were 'it' for each other and that they wanted and loved the other.. but Dixon is an asshat of epic proportions in my option.
He left Evan after 4 years of living
Bubbles  Hunty Honest & Direct Opinions
For a couple of assholes they sure where sweet in their own way
Ami
Evan Kano wakes up in a hospital to see his ex-lover, Dixon Bain, at his side. Ten years ago, out of fear for his family's disapproval of his relationship with a man, Dixon chose to walk out of Evan. This year, however, Dixon is determined to show Evan that he never stops loving him -- that he will do anything to fix his mistake.

Well, the idea of stupid-ex who returns for forgiveness and second chances always hook me in. What's better season to do that than Christmas, right? I like the banter b
dx
Feb 16, 2011 dx rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: have
2.5
(view spoiler)
Honey
Lucy
While I liked the character of Evan, I hated Dixon. Are you kidding me? You are with the so called love of your life for four years, then randomly eavesdrop a conversation between your super rich dad and super rich gramps,methinks they are discussing said love of life's unsuitability and you just dump him? No explanation and for ten years you don't bother to even ASK your family why they are bigoted asshats? You don't bother to make even a token effort to find out what they meant, or even defend ...more
Nikyta *Miss Forgetful*
After a misunderstanding ten years ago, Dixon's come back to Evan after he hears Evan's been shot. They both still love each other but it's hard for Evan to get over Dixon abruptly leaving him over a decade earlier.

I really liked this story. It was a sweet and simple read and I loved Evan. As with all Mary's main characters, Evan is instantly liked by everyone. Dixon is an assertive, determined guy and he won't let Evan slip through his fingers again so that made me love Dixon, too. Plus, who ca
Plainbrownwrapper
Hmmmm.

Sometimes I do like Mary Calmes, sometimes I want to throw her stuff across the room. With this story, I kind of want to do both at the same time.

I like the way this is written. The prose did a good job of sucking me into the story. OTOH, I really really didn't like one of the MCs, and it seemed that his failings were glossed over much too easily.

Here's the deal:

The first MC, Evan, is a crusader who works at a homeless shelter. At the beginning of the story, just before Christmas, he is
Serena Yates
This is just such a perfect Christmas story. I'll admit that I'm a sucker for reunions, and this is one of the best I've ever encountered. It isn't easy, or immediate. Evan has a lot to work through if he ever wants to let Dixon back into his life. I liked the realism of that. There is just enough doubt in Evan's mind to keep the tension up and really draw the reader in. Very, very touching!
PettyProse
Review: This was a rewarding read with a refreshingly mature approach towards a reunion romance plot.
Review for Brief Encounters Reviews: http://briefencountersreviews.com/201...

Evan is the narrator, a sympathetic and attractive character. In the opening scene, he appears overwhelmed by Dixon’s larger-than-life presence, but from then on his sense and caution hold the story together. It’s a fine use of first person, allowing a balance of personal emotion, wit and angst. Dixon’s arrogance was sta
Tara
Ten years after their relationship ended, Evan gets shot and Dixon rushes to his side. But it's been 10 years and a lot has happened. Things have changed. Their relationship may have ended, but did the feelings fade? And why did this relationship end anyway? And is it too late? Has one of them moved on? Do they just need closure? That's what they need to find out.

Sweet quick holiday read. Like all short stories, I always want more, but I did get the complete story so I can't complain.
Don Bradshaw
Evan Kanos is lying in the hospital and who walks in but Dixon Bain. The two guys were partners through college but broke up with Dixon moving back to N.Y. and Evan staying in Chicago. I really enjoyed the well paced and easy banter between the two men. The story was very interesting. The real question though is CAN YOU REALLY GO BACK AFTER 10 YEARS?
Chris
Good short holiday m/m romance about a guy who's in the hospital recuperating from being shot and is very surprised when the ex who dumped him out of the blue ten years ago shows up at his bedside.
Betryal
*** 4.5 ***
Book Utopia
Color me silly, but I kind of like reading Christmas stories in July. It’s easier to get an objective opinion about them without being subjected to all the nostalgia of the season. A lot of times, they don’t hold up beyond being holiday fare, and while this one lacks any kind of depth or sense of character to make it truly memorable, I still found myself enjoying it.

The plot is a simple one. After good guy Evan gets shot, his ex Dixon shows up at the hospital. The pretense is to see how Evan is
Janna
Evan is recovering from being shot at the shelter where he works when his first boyfriend, Dixon, comes to visit him unexpectedly. Ten years ago they broke up over a misunderstanding and now Dixon wants him back. But the reason of their break-up is still a bit of a problem.
As I've seen in other books byMary Calmes, one of the heroes is pretty much of a macho. In fact, in this case I found Dixon to be a bit of an (over)confident ass. And there's nothing wrong with that, because it can bring some
Bea
O_o

No me gusta como está escrito. Los diálogos me parecen absurdos y sin sentido, lo que consiguió que le perdiera el interés y me resultara aburrido.

La trama no me emocionaba demasiado. Una pareja rota por el miedo de uno de ellos en el pasado y se vuelven a encontrar 10 años después y el que cometió el error se tiene que ganar de nuevo al otro... eso es lo que sacas más o menos del resumen. Pensé que siendo una historia corta y navideña (me suelen gustar bastante) algo se salvaría... Pues resu
Lois - Who Reads
This feels like is only the middle of the book. Two men reconnecting after ten years (and that break up was caused by a really stupid misunderstanding) and then it just sort of ends. They have very different lives in different states and there is no description of how this going to work out or even if it does work out.
Teetee
Oh joy, a Mary Calmes book I didn’t even know about! And it’s a Christmas book! It was short though, and had the Mary Calmes groove-awesome main character who doesn’t get how great he is. I liked it ok but there was a lot skimmed over (Evan forgives Dixon fairly easily) and a rather quickly implied HFN. But still, its Mary Calmes!
Barb ~rede-2-read~
I love Mary Calmes and this holiday story ranks right up there with some of my favorite stories. This is about Evan and Dixon, two young men who broke up 10 years ago. It turns out that they broke up due to a misunderstanding and, it also turns out that neither of them has forgotten their love for the other. Dixon shows up at the hospital where Evan is recuperating from a gunshot wound. Their love, which has always simmered below the surface, has an opportunity for renewal with this visit. The s ...more
Paula
Jul 28, 2014 Paula rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: m-m
What can i say? I love Mary Calmes' stories.
Donna
Nice sweet easy read
Rie
This is what I want everytime I read Calmes' books, a very strong alpha male!
Melora
Dixon is pompous, selfish and entirely too used to getting his own way. When he waltzes back into Evan's life I expected grovelling and wooing to try to win him over. Instead he demands that Evan complies to his wishes without any discussion. And Evan lets him. Eventually they get around to discussing the reasons they broke up, but this is well down the road.
Ebook Addict Reviews
I have not read a book quite like this one, Mary Calmes kept me glued to my seat. Giving us a glimpse into the lives of two strong people, a very good story about forgiveness and making second chances count no matter how late they come. If you love Christmas stories I recommend you pick this up. Mary is an exceptional talent.

Cinderella
Sarabeth
I swear, from any other author....I would despise these plot lines. but it just works. dislocated my eye by rolling it...but my heart is in puddles anyway and I'm off to the next Mary book lol.
Nikko
Apr 07, 2012 Nikko added it
Shelves: no-re-read
It was a really good story until Dixon confesses that he had slept with 20 guys like hello!!! I don't know i just don't get that.. I tot he loved Ev enough not to screw with that much guys.. Overall it was a great story except for that part.. Not gonna read it again..
Jo * Smut-Dickted *
I like a Cinderfella type story - though this is not that it's close enough to make me Holi-happy (Holiday Happy). Ev and Dixon are a great couple - I would have liked to learn more about what happened when they got to NYC and their lives there.
  • Hopes and Fears
  • Batteries Not Included
  • Christmas Wish
  • The Santa Mug
  • You Can't Choose Your Family
  • Reindeer Games (Reindeer Games, #1)
  • The Long Way Home
  • Mending Noel (North Pole City Tales #1)
  • Xavier's Xmas
  • The Match Before Christmas
  • I'll Run Away For The Holidays
  • The Gift
  • Got Mistletoe?
  • 2010 Advent Calendar: Naughty or Nice
Mary Calmes lives in Lexington, Kentucky, with her husband and two children and loves all the seasons except summer. She graduated from the University of the Pacific in Stockton, California, with a bachelor's degree in English literature. Due to the fact that it is English lit and not English grammar, do not ask her to point out a clause for you, as it will so not happen. She loves writing, becomi ...more
More about Mary Calmes...

Naughty or Nice (1 - 10 of 30 books)
  • All Snug
  • Christmas with Danny Fit
  • Comfort and Joy
  • Dulce et Decorum Est
  • Enchanted Grounds
Change of Heart (Change of Heart, #1) A Matter of Time (A Matter of Time #1) Timing (Timing, #1) Frog A Matter of Time (A Matter of Time #2)