Start by marking “Pilgrim of the Sky” as Want to Read:
Pilgrim of the Sky

Pilgrim of the Sky

Just when Maddie Angler thinks she's over the death of her longtime boyfriend, Alvin, she discovers that he's not only alive, but he may just be part god. And a killer. Now it's up to her to unite Eight Worlds she didn't even know existed in the first place, before chaos reigns.
Published December 13th 2011 by Candlemark & Gleam (first published December 10th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Pilgrim of the Sky, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pilgrim of the Sky

Aug 23, 2012 Rebecca rated it really liked it
Shelves: steampunk, fantasy
Maddie's voice pulled me into this one right away. She's an ordinary ex-grad student in mourning for a missing lover, with far too many mundane responsibilities, but Barron gives her a thoughtful perspective on the world I found instantly engaging. She starts in our world, quickly tumbles into another one, and then discovers that there are a lot more possibilities than she'd been aware of.

There are several places in which the author commits what I would consider grievous sins, and yet totally ge
Aug 16, 2016 Mary rated it really liked it
I won Pilgrim of the Sky from First Reads. I look forward to reading it now that its arrived. I've read the first two chapters and am already interested in the story. The book is well written and I have hopes it will stay interesting. I'll get back with more after I finish Pilgrim of the Sky.
Here are my thoughts after I reading the book:

Pilgrim of the Sky is an excellent fantasy with steampunk elements that I thoroughly enjoyed. If I hadn't known Natania Barron was a first time novelist I never
Brigid Ashwood
Jan 16, 2012 Brigid Ashwood rated it it was amazing
First - full disclosure. I'm the cover artist for this book, and I consider the author a friend, so YES I'm biased. I love this book. (But again, considering I am completely biased, take that assessment as you will.) I feel compelled to write a review to clear up a few things. This novel is full of rich and detailed worlds and steamy love scenes with compelling characters. BUT, I will say this book is misunderstood as "steampunk". One world of the 8 within the book can be described as steampunk, ...more
Mar 08, 2012 Megan rated it it was amazing
Absolutely adored this book. So much about the storytelling style and the aesthetic of the world clicked for me, I was sorry that the book was so short, because I would have loved to spend more time with these characters. The travelling between kindred worlds put me a bit in mind of Diana Wynne Jones Chrestomanci novels, which I was obsessed with as a child; but Natania's take on this fantasy trope is completely fresh, sophisticated, and decidedly adult. Really just fearfully impressive for a de ...more
May 02, 2012 Mary rated it it was amazing
I loved this tale. As has been mentioned in another review, this isn't strictly a "Steampunk novel"; but, yes - there are Steampunk elements in one of the many worlds of "Pilgrim of the Sky", and is well-worth a read even if you're a die-hard Steampunker who shuns all other genres. The novel is a well-crafted blend of sci-fi and fantasy with interesting characters and well-crafted scenes.
April Steenburgh
Nov 28, 2011 April Steenburgh rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
Maddie's boyfriend Alvin has vanished, an assumed suicide, and she has finally gotten herself together enough to start moving on. She agrees to take Alvin's troubled brother Randy with her on one last trip to drop off some of Alvin's books to an old colleague.

And that is where she is pulled through an antique and into the body of an opium addicted seamstress who is married to someone who looks frighteningly similar to Randy- A man named Randall who tells her Alvin is alive, and professes to know
I fell in love with this book the moment I saw the cover art. Then I actually read it.

Pilgrim of the Sky came to me at a low time in my life, when, like Maddie, I needed to escape Western Mass and run to new worlds. Pilgrim let me do that. (Though be on the lookout for things familar to the Pioneer Valley -- the author has a great sense of the place; I believe she lived here for a time.)

Natania Barron's storytelling is exquisite. The worlds are lush, descriptions almost decadent. I sank into the
Vincent Morrison
Apr 23, 2012 Vincent Morrison rated it really liked it
This book was, in a word, beautiful. The imagery was lush, the characters compelling, and the subject matter was right up my alley. I'm a sucker for stories about alternate worlds and dimensional travel. I couldn't help but think of Jack Chalker or Robert Heinlein as I followed the protagonist on her journey of discovery and becoming.

The book leaves questions about the structure of this multiverse and the beings who inhabit it. Questions that will hopefully be answered in a sequel.
Nov 27, 2011 KyBunnies rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to KyBunnies by:
I really enjoyed this book. They author has an amazing talent with words. This book was well written with fully developed characters and a great plot. I hope there could be a sequel to this book in the future. Thanks for a great read.

This was a first read contest win.
Jul 10, 2012 VMom rated it really liked it
Picked this up on impulse at the library and got an unexpected treat. Fans of alternate universe travellers and mythology will like this.
(Caution: not a YA book)
Oct 15, 2012 Kay rated it really liked it
I received this book from a NetGalle request.

Maddie is trying to move on with her life after the disappearance of her fiance but just when she is ready to move on she gets sucked into his strange world. During this process she must find herself and figure out what she wants out of life.

This book was not at all what I expected but I still really enjoyed it. I would describe it as part steampunk and part scifi book. I thought the story was very interesting and unique. I have definitely never read
Fangs for the Fantasy
Dec 01, 2012 Fangs for the Fantasy rated it really liked it
Maddie is trying to move on in her life after the disappearance and presumed death of her long term lover, Alvin. But Alvin’s brother, Randy is less willing to let her go and through Alvin’s contacts shows her the truth of where he has gone.

He has gone to a different world, one of 8 parallel worlds all with different societies and people. But some people straddle different worlds – copies, different versions, TWAINS of themselves exist in these different worlds. Maddie finds herself thrust into
Dec 21, 2012 Mike rated it liked it
This is a book by a woman, about a woman, and apparently for women.

Now, as a man, I read a lot of books by women. If you check my reviews, you'll see approximately half are for books by women. That's not because I consciously choose to read equal numbers by men and women, but just a thing that happens naturally. I'm happy to read books that are usually considered "for women", too. And I love a good, strong, active, feisty, intelligent female protagonist.

So I ascribe the fact that this book did
Dec 27, 2011 Jenn rated it it was ok
Got this from a LibraryThing giveaway; often cofusing - this could benefit from being developed more. It felt crammed together. At the same time, it was often vague - in style elements, in character development, in reader interest level. But all that aside, it has potential - I did like th aspect of the 8 worlds and the people being aspects of gods across them - interesting lore. Just needs a heavy retune to better worldbuild, slow the explanations and deepen them at key points.
Sep 28, 2012 Sam rated it really liked it

A nice spin on the alternate universes theme. I think there were some aspects of the heroine's history that could have been fleshed out better, but the author went for a somewhat minimalist approach, which worked well since the plot had a lot of forward momentum. The story was somewhat tied up at the end (no major cliff hangers), but the author clearly left open the possibility of a sequel/series.
Dec 11, 2012 Ellie rated it liked it
Shelves: book-revels, arc, kindle
Overall impression:
Despite a slow start, Pilgrim of the Sky is a fresh, interesting take on mythology.

Read the full review on Book Revels.
Dec 05, 2011 Tj added it
Pilgrim of the Sky is a really well written book. I really enjoyed the book. Hopefully there will be a sequel in the future.
Jul 25, 2012 Patricia rated it it was amazing
A very fun adventure into parallel universes!
A Book Vacation
Dec 24, 2011 A Book Vacation rated it it was ok
I’m not really sure why I thought this was a YA book, but when I first read the synopsis, that is exactly what I was expecting. However, this is not a YA book at all, but rather an adult book with some adult situations that I wouldn’t necessarily want my teen reading about; not that it’s extremely bad or extremely erotic, but there are some scenes within that are not my cup of tea, let alone something I would give to a younger reader. Now, my prudish self aside, there weren’t that many sexual en ...more
Pilgrim Of The Sky is about Maddie an ex-grad student who lost her fiance Alvin. We follow her on an adventure through a couple different worlds and what as she learns what exactly Alvin is and a lot about herself. The plot mostly centers around a steam punk boston where she meets some very interesting people there. I really don't want to give away any more of the plot though, but I have to say that Barron does an incredible job at crafting a world while leading you on to figure out what is trul ...more
Jan 05, 2013 Kara-karina rated it really liked it
Pilgrim of The Sky is a beautiful, poetic book. It was a slow start for me, but once you get a quarter way through you are caught and keep digging out more and more gems in this book along the way.

Where do I start with this complex book?

Pilgrim of the Sky is a book taking on the idea of multiverse, hence its sci-fi element. Maddie, the main heroine from our world (Sixth World) is transported into World Two into a body of her twain (double) Matilda.

Second world is stunning, it's Victorian, opera
Tahlia Newland
Jan 10, 2013 Tahlia Newland rated it really liked it
Shelves: steampunk
Pilgrim in the Sky is a surprising, gripping and somewhat profound contemporary fantasy. It begins in our world, takes us on a shocking journey to another, and just when we think we have it all sorted it, we find ourselves one level deeper again.

I loved it, not only because it’s a very different story but because it stretches your mind with metaphysical themes—alternate worlds, beings that are connected, the same yet different, linked, like the eight points of a compass through time and incarnat
Dec 13, 2012 Rhianna rated it really liked it
A Genre-Defying Masterpiece

There's a reason PILGRIM OF THE SKY has such a vague and short blurb. If it said much more, the richness of its imaginative concept would be ruined. While I've seen it mentioned as a steampunk read it really is not. There's a steampunk element to part of it, but ultimately this is more a fantasy novel that truly bends and twists the genre.

This is not fantasy of the swords and sorcery formula, but rather, something more akin to Alice in Wonderland. Maddie never quite fe
Oct 28, 2012 Taztic rated it it was ok
This was a bit like a day-trip for me. You head off out somewhere different, have a bit of fun, but when it comes down to're glad to get home.

Pilgrim of the Sky isn't my typical kind of read, but I wanted to try something a bit different. From the cover art I was pretty convinced it was YA, and it was a bit of a surprise to discover that it's not. It's a very unusual read, which I think is always a good thing, whether I enjoyed it or not it's always a bonus to find something original.

Andrea Blythe
Jun 05, 2013 Andrea Blythe rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, fic-fantasy
Maddie Angler is trying to leave her old life behind in an attempt to get over the death of her fiancee, Alvin Roth. But when she learns that Alvin might be alive, she finds herself on an inter-world journey to find him and will discover secrets about the Eight Worlds and herself that she would never have imagined.

I wasn't drawn to this story at first, but as the story progressed past the first chapter, things began to get very interesting and by the middle it was easy, fun reading. The charact
Oct 30, 2012 Sunny rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, steampunk
I was pleasantly surprised with this book. I got a definitive steampunk vibe with the world travel which didn't annoy me as much as expected. It is an ehilirating romp through worlds using Greek mythology and Woodsworth. I was a little bothered by the Highlander feeling I got from it but was able to get past it. There is some intrigue but that is easily figured out; I was still kept in high anticipation of the outcome. Well-written, heart-wrenchingly sad at times, some parts of the story are dis ...more
Aug 03, 2012 Ruby rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A really fun and stimulating read. Some fun steampunk elements, but mainly a large helping of American-Gods-esque investigation of mythology. I love the depth of all the characters, and appreciated reading a strong (but not superheroic) female lead. I would be happy to read a sequel, should such a thing ever be written.
Jun 16, 2015 Bettina rated it liked it
Honestly I can't remember much... I read this book at least three years ago and just never updated my status :D It was interesting with the steampunk setting, but the text/story overall was not my favorite.
Scott Suehle
Jun 24, 2013 Scott Suehle rated it it was amazing
Great journey for beginning to end. My reading style coupled with the imagery made for a fun trip into the world presented in the book.
GeekMom: GeekMom Book Club - May Week 4 5 24 May 24, 2012 02:06PM
GeekMom: GeekMom Book Club - May Week 3 4 18 May 16, 2012 08:52PM
GeekMom: GeekMom Book Club - May Week 2 6 25 May 13, 2012 07:35PM
GeekMom: GeekMom Book Club - May Week 1 6 28 May 13, 2012 06:12AM
GeekMom: GeekMom Book Club For May 1 21 Apr 27, 2012 05:56PM
  • Sky Ranger (Extrahumans, #2)
  • Matchbox Girls (Senyaza Series, #1)
  • (Re)Visions: Alice
  • Erekos
  • Guns of Seneca 6 (Guns of Seneca 6, #1)
  • Out of Breath  (The Lithia Trilogy, #1)
  • Message for Minerva (Garland of Druids, #9)
  • Lost in Lexicon: An Adventure in Words and Numbers
  • Solacers
  • Mr Blank (Fill in the Blank, #1)
  • The Grand Ellipse
  • Prelude to Reveille:  A Vietnam Awakening
  • The Sword of Straw (The Sangreal Trilogy, #2)
  • Trapped Nerves
  • The Tanglewood Terror
  • Stop and Blog the Roses
  • Debris Dreams
  • The Amazing Adventures of John Smith, Jr. AKA Houdini
Natania Barron is a writer with a penchant for the speculative; she is also an unrepentant geek. Her work has appeared in Weird Tales, EscapePod, The Gatehouse Gazette, Thaumatrope, Bull Spec, Crossed Genres, Steampunk Tales, Faerie Magazine, and in a number of anthologies. Her work often incorporates Victorian aesthetics with magic and science fiction, treading between genres whenever possible. H ...more
More about Natania Barron...