Start by marking “You Can't Fire Everyone: And Other Lessons from an Accidental Manager” as Want to Read:
You Can't Fire Everyone: And Other Lessons from an Accidental Manager

You Can't Fire Everyone: And Other Lessons from an Accidental Manager

3.30  ·  Rating Details  ·  125 Ratings  ·  35 Reviews
A practical, entertaining handbook for people who never expected to be bosses.

Plenty of managers never asked, expected, or trained to be put in charge of other people. But when it happens, these accidental bosses often find that learning to manage is like learning to swim by being dropped into the deep end of the pool.

Hank Gilman knows what that's like. As a top edito
Published March 17th 2011 by Portfolio (first published March 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about You Can't Fire Everyone, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about You Can't Fire Everyone

Mindy
Feb 19, 2011 Mindy rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I received this book from the first-reads giveaway.

As a teen getting ready to graduate and step into the "real world," leadership is all I ever hear about these days. It's kind of annoying. So granted, when I was sent an e-mail that I had won this book, I was more excited about winning something rather than the book itself.

It turned to be an extremely pleasant surprise. I'm a very sarcastic, smart-arse kind of person myself, and Gilman? Yeah. Very snarky. Some people may not like this simply be
Ashley
May 29, 2011 Ashley rated it it was ok
As a fellow "accidental manager" in the media business, it was good to hear from someone in the same boat. I could probably follow this advice better than other managers not in the media. There were some helpful points, and I also enjoyed the section on Gen Y employees and dealing with difficult employees.

On the other hand, there were way too many sports analogies, and seemingly unrelated personal anecdotes and pats on the back. It was a quick read, and chuckle-worthy at parts, so far from dry c
Peyton
Jan 12, 2012 Peyton rated it it was ok
What hooked me about this one was the catchy title and trendy cover... both of which I consider the worst case of false advertising I've ever seen. Gilman is so firmly ensconced in the publishing world that his book is inaccessible to those of us in other industries. This jargon-filled, under-edited book could use a little more red pen and a little less bluster.
Ahmad
Jul 26, 2013 Ahmad rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a really useful book for young, unexperienced managers. What I liked most about it is that it is practical & to-the-point.
Also, Gilman's style of writing is funny and addictive in a wonderful way.
Kelley Muir
Jan 25, 2011 Kelley Muir marked it as to-read
As an accidental manager I think I could find this book quiet entertaining and informative
Scott
Feb 26, 2011 Scott rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads, business
I was fortunate to get Gilman's book in advance as a Goodreads.com "First Reads" book.

You Can't Fire Everyone is a good page-turner, which seems a bit strange for a management book. Hank Gilman, Deputy Managing Editor at Fortune Magazine, put together a succinct, humorous look at his career as an "accidental manager." One should quite easily pick up a few tips on the do's and don't's of managing people, and hiring and firing them. Gilman has a terrific sense of humor - witty and sarcastic at tim
Marisa
Mar 24, 2011 Marisa rated it really liked it
Elizabeth
Apr 26, 2011 Elizabeth rated it really liked it
Once you get past the somewhat misleading title, I found this book to be very interesting and quite humorous. Gilman has worked as a business journalist for the majority of his career (Fortune & Newsweek) and newspapers (Wall St. Journal & NY Times). The book is basically a handbook for managers based on his experiences working with the best and possibly the worst in management - from his own supervisors to CEO's of major corporations. His tone is lighthearted and honest and for the most ...more
Diane ~Firefly~
Feb 28, 2011 Diane ~Firefly~ rated it liked it
Shelves: business
This book is easy to read as everything is broken up into bite size pieces and the writing has a bit of humor to it. I didn't learn anything jaw-dropping as it is mostly common sense (which is often missing in management) and it definitely has a bent towards the magazine/news business. But, the anecdotes are interesting to read and most of the advice is good.

This was an ARC, so some of the dropped threads that popped up here and there may be fixed in the final printing, but it was jarring when s
Christy
Aug 28, 2014 Christy rated it it was ok
Want to read 200+ pages of rambling stories, sports and journalism anecdotes, and name dropping? Have I found the book for you!

I'm a really fast reader, and it took me two months to get through this slim volume, because I just couldn't get into it. I brought it with me to the DMV today and forced myself to finish it.

Here are the few things I want to remember from this book:

-Sometimes people aren't going to like you when you're a manager, and that's OK.
-"In boss land, how you behave and how thi
Karin
Apr 03, 2011 Karin rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
When someone has worked up througn the ranks to a place where going into management is the next step,they are often unprepared for changes they need to make to their conduct and appearance in order to be an effective manager.Based on his own experience with this scenario Mr. Gilman gives some good examples of how to get the job done without alienating t,he people in the trenches.During his career he worked on several well known magazines and is now managing editor of FORTUNE; yet his pointers ca ...more
Gatzby
Mar 06, 2013 Gatzby rated it liked it
This is the sort of book you might pick up if you were an insecure manager looking or validation that you're not doing such a bad job. Which is to say, I'm not sure anyone is going to learn much from it, but it's an entertaining way to reaffirm some of the lessons you should have learned/might be learning now.

A lot of the metaphor is going to go unappreciated if you're not into sports, especially the teams Hank Gilman seems to enjoy. They're still valuable, but they lack a lot of impact... espec
Heather
Mar 03, 2011 Heather rated it it was ok
I got this book as a first read but it was really for my husband. So, this review is based on what he told me he thought about it. He said that the book was entertaining to read but that he didn't find the information very applicable to his job. He felt that many of the examples in the book were specific to the field of journalism and that the situations that happen in his business are very different than the book's examples. He felt that the author spent too much time describing the situtations ...more
Betty
Feb 12, 2012 Betty rated it it was ok
Lots of personal stories about managing and being managed. Lots. Which can be entertaining but I found repetitive.
Management advice was pretty standard. A few were even amusing:
> Everyone who works for you has flaws. Find out what they do well and let them do that.
> You have to tell people how they're doing. Your employees don't have psychic powers.
> Worst thing you can do as a manager is to be afraid of being fired. Impairs your decision-making.
> Be kind to all employees, even if
Joseph
Mar 06, 2015 Joseph rated it really liked it
Great book. Funny, well written from someone who's actually done management in the trenches.
Carrieuoregon
Feb 09, 2011 Carrieuoregon rated it really liked it
Really the idea behind this book was brilliant: a management manual from someone who can actually write. Most things of this type are so deadly, but Mr. Gilman is a former reporter, an editor and quite an engaging writer. Many of the stories made me smile or laugh. Although I don't have a boss right now, we have all had bosses, good and not so good. This book helps you recognize those qualities and practices that impacted your own employment. Not a subject I'd normally be interested in, but I re ...more
An Shun
Dec 29, 2012 An Shun rated it really liked it
Shelves: management
A down-to-earth read about dilemmas that all managers will face in the course of their management career. The book offers general guidelines especially on the Do-Nots of management based on the past experiences of the author which is really good for novice managers. The great part about reading this book is the author's sincere sharing of his experiences and not some "framework" or "case-study" from some study.
Dominique
Feb 08, 2011 Dominique rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I really enjoyed the book. Maybe a little too much on the sports for me at times, but it's funny. Being a non-manager myself, its nice to see where managers go wrong and get an inside view of their world.

And the guy writes like I talk -- a little bit rambling, with lots of asides (sometimes snarky).. but really it's as if he is sitting there talking to you about his experiences. Lots of fun to read
Larry B Gray
Feb 19, 2011 Larry B Gray rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
I enjoyed this look at a subject that is misapplied every day in leadership role. It's serious look at management and leadership style is presented in a practical and easy to follow way based on real life experiences. As a manager who years ago was thrown into the job with no real training found the book to be both fresh and full of deep and practical ideas to help make me a better leader.
Devin Mcghee
Sep 30, 2013 Devin Mcghee rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
Very honest. And he doesn't claim to know everything (although he has some great insights), so it feels more like discussing issues with a fellow manager, that being told what you should and shouldn't do by a management guru. I recommend this for anyone who supervises. I may not always agree with him, but it is always entertaining.
Shannon
Sep 01, 2012 Shannon rated it really liked it
I wish I could give it 3.5. While my job is totally different I have more than once ended up in a management position and haven't had any kind of management training. I found this book very interesting and helpful. I was able to take most of his stories and apply them to my own situations.
Thomas Mcmillen
May 15, 2011 Thomas Mcmillen rated it liked it
Not a bad book but pretty simplistic and common-sensicle. (I know that's not a word but it should be.) Lesson boils down to listen, be honest and consistant, and do your best knowing that you WILL make mistakes. Fast read at the least and I can cite this as "growth and development" for reviews! :-)
Don
Oct 13, 2011 Don rated it liked it
Shelves: 2011
Some good anecdotes, but the author doesn't have a lot of advice that's practical to most work environments. The journalism/media industry is a world unto itself. Gilman is better when he's relating management observations from his career as a business journalist, but that's not often.
Erika
Jun 24, 2011 Erika rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm surprised that so many people said that because they don't work in Media that this book doesn't apply to them and wasn't useful. Though the examples were either print-media and sports, the lessons were universal and things that anyone who manages staff, should be doing.
Janelle
Sep 14, 2011 Janelle rated it did not like it
I could not get through this book. It was depressing to hear horrible stories about the work place, that I could totally relate to, yet practical solutions were never discussed. Well, maybe there were, but I never could force myself to read far enough to find out.
Lee Anne
Jun 04, 2011 Lee Anne rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-for-work
Although I enjoyed this book, Gilman, as a magazine editor, had many colorful stories of his life in newsstand publishing, but not many that were truly applicable to business in general. I did like the stories, but found little to use in my day-to-day work.
Megan
Feb 15, 2011 Megan rated it liked it
I won this as part of the goodreads giveaway. Funny book on management do's and don'ts. Can relate to some of the stories and would have loved to have contributed personal stories to this book.
Silvina Furnadzhieva
Jan 07, 2014 Silvina Furnadzhieva rated it really liked it
Useful advice and a fun read. Although all examples in the book are from the print media industry, the tips are applicable to any type of organization or business.
Shalaka
May 01, 2012 Shalaka rated it liked it
Good advice...someone should have told me a long time ago that management is all about conflicts. I might have skipped it.
Jennie
Oct 26, 2012 Jennie rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2012
An easy read, focusing on the author's experience in journalism. I was expecting the book to be different.
Goodreads Librari...: Combine (?) doesn't link to other editions 3 17 Apr 19, 2014 11:09AM
  • The Three Rules: How Exceptional Companies Think
  • Tuesday Morning Coaching ... Eight Simple Truths to Boost Your Career and Your Life
  • Carrots and Sticks Don't Work: Build a Culture of Employee Engagement with the Principles of RESPECT
  • How to Change Minds: The Art of Influence without Manipulation
  • Shine: Using Brain Science to Get the Best from Your People
  • The Reinventors: How Extraordinary Companies Pursue Radical Continuous Change
  • The Commitment Engine: Teaching Your Business to Manage Itself
  • Power Listening: Mastering the Most Critical Business Skill of All
  • Admired: 21 Ways to Double Your Value
  • Nothing Is Impossible: 7 Steps to Realize Your True Power and Maximize Your Results
  • Your Next Move: The Leader's Guide to Navigating Major Career Transitions
  • Leadership by the Book: Tools to Transform Your Workplace
  • Zilch: The Power of Zero in Business
  • Crazy Bosses: Fully Revised and Updated
  • Icons and Idiots: Straight Talk on Leadership
  • The Yes Factor: Get What You Want. Say What You Mean.
  • Hard Goals: The Secret to Getting from Where You Are to Where You Want to Be