Start by marking “You Can't Fire Everyone: And Other Lessons from an Accidental Manager” as Want to Read:
You Can't Fire Everyone: And Other Lessons from an Accidental Manager

You Can't Fire Everyone: And Other Lessons from an Accidental Manager

3.27 of 5 stars 3.27  ·  rating details  ·  110 ratings  ·  35 reviews
A practical, entertaining handbook for people who never expected to be bosses.

Plenty of managers never asked, expected, or trained to be put in charge of other people. But when it happens, these accidental bosses often find that learning to manage is like learning to swim by being dropped into the deep end of the pool.

Hank Gilman knows what that's like. As a top edito
Published March 17th 2011 by Portfolio (first published March 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about You Can't Fire Everyone, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about You Can't Fire Everyone

Mindy
I received this book from the first-reads giveaway.

As a teen getting ready to graduate and step into the "real world," leadership is all I ever hear about these days. It's kind of annoying. So granted, when I was sent an e-mail that I had won this book, I was more excited about winning something rather than the book itself.

It turned to be an extremely pleasant surprise. I'm a very sarcastic, smart-arse kind of person myself, and Gilman? Yeah. Very snarky. Some people may not like this simply be
Ashley
As a fellow "accidental manager" in the media business, it was good to hear from someone in the same boat. I could probably follow this advice better than other managers not in the media. There were some helpful points, and I also enjoyed the section on Gen Y employees and dealing with difficult employees.

On the other hand, there were way too many sports analogies, and seemingly unrelated personal anecdotes and pats on the back. It was a quick read, and chuckle-worthy at parts, so far from dry c
Peyton
What hooked me about this one was the catchy title and trendy cover... both of which I consider the worst case of false advertising I've ever seen. Gilman is so firmly ensconced in the publishing world that his book is inaccessible to those of us in other industries. This jargon-filled, under-edited book could use a little more red pen and a little less bluster.
Ahmad
This is a really useful book for young, unexperienced managers. What I liked most about it is that it is practical & to-the-point.
Also, Gilman's style of writing is funny and addictive in a wonderful way.
Kelley Muir
Jan 25, 2011 Kelley Muir marked it as to-read
As an accidental manager I think I could find this book quiet entertaining and informative
Scott
I was fortunate to get Gilman's book in advance as a Goodreads.com "First Reads" book.

You Can't Fire Everyone is a good page-turner, which seems a bit strange for a management book. Hank Gilman, Deputy Managing Editor at Fortune Magazine, put together a succinct, humorous look at his career as an "accidental manager." One should quite easily pick up a few tips on the do's and don't's of managing people, and hiring and firing them. Gilman has a terrific sense of humor - witty and sarcastic at tim
Marisa
Elizabeth
Once you get past the somewhat misleading title, I found this book to be very interesting and quite humorous. Gilman has worked as a business journalist for the majority of his career (Fortune & Newsweek) and newspapers (Wall St. Journal & NY Times). The book is basically a handbook for managers based on his experiences working with the best and possibly the worst in management - from his own supervisors to CEO's of major corporations. His tone is lighthearted and honest and for the most ...more
Diane ~Firefly~
This book is easy to read as everything is broken up into bite size pieces and the writing has a bit of humor to it. I didn't learn anything jaw-dropping as it is mostly common sense (which is often missing in management) and it definitely has a bent towards the magazine/news business. But, the anecdotes are interesting to read and most of the advice is good.

This was an ARC, so some of the dropped threads that popped up here and there may be fixed in the final printing, but it was jarring when s
Christy
Want to read 200+ pages of rambling stories, sports and journalism anecdotes, and name dropping? Have I found the book for you!

I'm a really fast reader, and it took me two months to get through this slim volume, because I just couldn't get into it. I brought it with me to the DMV today and forced myself to finish it.

Here are the few things I want to remember from this book:

-Sometimes people aren't going to like you when you're a manager, and that's OK.
-"In boss land, how you behave and how thi
Karin
When someone has worked up througn the ranks to a place where going into management is the next step,they are often unprepared for changes they need to make to their conduct and appearance in order to be an effective manager.Based on his own experience with this scenario Mr. Gilman gives some good examples of how to get the job done without alienating t,he people in the trenches.During his career he worked on several well known magazines and is now managing editor of FORTUNE; yet his pointers ca ...more
Gatzby
This is the sort of book you might pick up if you were an insecure manager looking or validation that you're not doing such a bad job. Which is to say, I'm not sure anyone is going to learn much from it, but it's an entertaining way to reaffirm some of the lessons you should have learned/might be learning now.

A lot of the metaphor is going to go unappreciated if you're not into sports, especially the teams Hank Gilman seems to enjoy. They're still valuable, but they lack a lot of impact... espec
Heather
I got this book as a first read but it was really for my husband. So, this review is based on what he told me he thought about it. He said that the book was entertaining to read but that he didn't find the information very applicable to his job. He felt that many of the examples in the book were specific to the field of journalism and that the situations that happen in his business are very different than the book's examples. He felt that the author spent too much time describing the situtations ...more
Betty
Lots of personal stories about managing and being managed. Lots. Which can be entertaining but I found repetitive.
Management advice was pretty standard. A few were even amusing:
> Everyone who works for you has flaws. Find out what they do well and let them do that.
> You have to tell people how they're doing. Your employees don't have psychic powers.
> Worst thing you can do as a manager is to be afraid of being fired. Impairs your decision-making.
> Be kind to all employees, even if
Joseph
Great book. Funny, well written from someone who's actually done management in the trenches.
Carrieuoregon
Really the idea behind this book was brilliant: a management manual from someone who can actually write. Most things of this type are so deadly, but Mr. Gilman is a former reporter, an editor and quite an engaging writer. Many of the stories made me smile or laugh. Although I don't have a boss right now, we have all had bosses, good and not so good. This book helps you recognize those qualities and practices that impacted your own employment. Not a subject I'd normally be interested in, but I re ...more
An Shun
A down-to-earth read about dilemmas that all managers will face in the course of their management career. The book offers general guidelines especially on the Do-Nots of management based on the past experiences of the author which is really good for novice managers. The great part about reading this book is the author's sincere sharing of his experiences and not some "framework" or "case-study" from some study.
Dominique
I really enjoyed the book. Maybe a little too much on the sports for me at times, but it's funny. Being a non-manager myself, its nice to see where managers go wrong and get an inside view of their world.

And the guy writes like I talk -- a little bit rambling, with lots of asides (sometimes snarky).. but really it's as if he is sitting there talking to you about his experiences. Lots of fun to read
Larry B Gray
I enjoyed this look at a subject that is misapplied every day in leadership role. It's serious look at management and leadership style is presented in a practical and easy to follow way based on real life experiences. As a manager who years ago was thrown into the job with no real training found the book to be both fresh and full of deep and practical ideas to help make me a better leader.
Devin Mcghee
Very honest. And he doesn't claim to know everything (although he has some great insights), so it feels more like discussing issues with a fellow manager, that being told what you should and shouldn't do by a management guru. I recommend this for anyone who supervises. I may not always agree with him, but it is always entertaining.
Shannon
I wish I could give it 3.5. While my job is totally different I have more than once ended up in a management position and haven't had any kind of management training. I found this book very interesting and helpful. I was able to take most of his stories and apply them to my own situations.
Thomas Mcmillen
Not a bad book but pretty simplistic and common-sensicle. (I know that's not a word but it should be.) Lesson boils down to listen, be honest and consistant, and do your best knowing that you WILL make mistakes. Fast read at the least and I can cite this as "growth and development" for reviews! :-)
Don
Oct 13, 2011 Don rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2011
Some good anecdotes, but the author doesn't have a lot of advice that's practical to most work environments. The journalism/media industry is a world unto itself. Gilman is better when he's relating management observations from his career as a business journalist, but that's not often.
Erika
I'm surprised that so many people said that because they don't work in Media that this book doesn't apply to them and wasn't useful. Though the examples were either print-media and sports, the lessons were universal and things that anyone who manages staff, should be doing.
Janelle
I could not get through this book. It was depressing to hear horrible stories about the work place, that I could totally relate to, yet practical solutions were never discussed. Well, maybe there were, but I never could force myself to read far enough to find out.
Lee Anne
Although I enjoyed this book, Gilman, as a magazine editor, had many colorful stories of his life in newsstand publishing, but not many that were truly applicable to business in general. I did like the stories, but found little to use in my day-to-day work.
Megan
I won this as part of the goodreads giveaway. Funny book on management do's and don'ts. Can relate to some of the stories and would have loved to have contributed personal stories to this book.
Silvina Furnadzhieva
Useful advice and a fun read. Although all examples in the book are from the print media industry, the tips are applicable to any type of organization or business.
Shalaka
Good advice...someone should have told me a long time ago that management is all about conflicts. I might have skipped it.
Jennie
Oct 26, 2012 Jennie rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2012
An easy read, focusing on the author's experience in journalism. I was expecting the book to be different.
Goodreads Librari...: Combine (?) doesn't link to other editions 3 17 Apr 19, 2014 11:09AM
  • The Three Rules: How Exceptional Companies Think
  • Zilch: The Power of Zero in Business
  • Carrots and Sticks Don't Work: Build a Culture of Employee Engagement with the Principles of RESPECT
  • Shine: Using Brain Science to Get the Best from Your People
  • Nine Minutes on Monday: The Quick and Easy Way to Go from Manager to Leader
  • SmartTribes: How Teams Become Brilliant Together
  • Icons and Idiots: Straight Talk on Leadership
  • The Yes Factor: Get What You Want. Say What You Mean.
  • Quiet Influence: The Introvert's Guide to Making a Difference
  • It's Not Just Who You Know: Transform Your Life (and Your Organization) by Turning Colleagues and Contacts into Lasting, Genuine Relationships
  • Admired: 21 Ways to Double Your Value
  • Sexy Little Numbers: How to Grow Your Business Using the Data You Already Have
  • Leadership by the Book: Tools to Transform Your Workplace