Start by marking “Molto dopo mezzanotte” as Want to Read:

- Punishment Without Crime (1950) story
- Getting Through Sunday Somehow (1962) story
- Drink Entire:
Mass Market Paperback, I Libri dell'Unità - L'ABC della Fantascienza, 323 pages
Published 1993 by L'Unità (first published September 1976)

To ask other readers questions about Molto dopo mezzanotte, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Molto dopo mezzanotte

Shawn
In my review of The October Country, I noted that Ray Bradbury was one of the first writers I read as a boy. I'll expand a little on that in this review. I bought this paperback in, roughly, 1979 in either Waldenbooks or B. Daltons, from the Ocean County Mall in Toms River, NJ. I read a few of the stories but then it sat on my shelf for nearly 30 years before, repacking some books, I found it again and decided to read it through.

Ray Bradbury is an odd writer to discuss in this day and age. Renow
David
Oct 27, 2012 David rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 12-year-old boys, Messianic Martians, Hitler actors, unhappily married couples
Ray Bradbury is what I would call a literary author who's always labeled as writing genre stories (never mind the debate about what "literary" means in this context); he's a storyteller but his writing is also suffused with poetic flourishes and evocative, moody imagery and dialog that many genre authors skimp on. That said, none of the short stories I've read by him are among my favorite or most memorable. But some of his horror stories are very effectively creepy without any explicit violence. ...more
Christopher Conlon
Not long ago, in a moment of minor personal crisis, I found myself hungering after the literary equivalent of comfort food. Something familiar, but not too familiar—not familiar to the point of boredom. Yet something that would give me a predictably pleasant lift.

Wandering our basement library (which contains some 3000 of those bulky pre-Kindle items earlier generations called “books”), I came across the perfect thing: a copy of “Long After Midnight” by the late Ray Bradbury.

But not just any cop
Mari Mann
On the cover of this book, above Ray Bradbury's name, is written this line: "The World's Greatest Living Science Fiction Writer." This edition was published in 1976, so this may have been true then (although I'm sure there are many that would disagree with the "greatest"), but now that Ray Bradbury has died, we may say he was our greatest...what? He wrote more than science fiction. He wrote tales of horror ("The October Game"), of summer loves and losses, and of fantasy and witchery. So, like Ku ...more
Nathaniel
Ray Bradbury is, along with Philip K. Dick, one of the two science fiction writers I most aspire to emulate. I was reminded of why this is on the first of the 22-stories in this collection.

The quality of the stories in this collection ranges from a couple that didn't resonate with me (3-star or even 2-star) to several that were pitch-perfect and remind me of exactly why it is that I love sci-fi in the first place (5-star). Overall, I give the collection a strong 4-star rating. Some notes:

1. Ray
Evans Light
Nov 05, 2013 Evans Light marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: have-it
Will add reviews for each story as I make my way through, not necessarily in order:

*** DRINK ENTIRE: AGAINST THE MADNESS OF CROWDS

One of the stranger shorts I've read by Bradbury. His poetic language has gone so mad in this one it's barely controlled, in danger of going off the rails. It doesn't, but not by much. There is a moral to this story of a witch and a broken middle-aged soul in NYC, I am sure, but it is late and the message eludes me. Carpe Diem, perhaps? Enjoyable, but not essential.

Headraline
This is a collection of short stories by Ray Bradbury that I read long ago, but sometimes I simply come back to it and re-read my favorites.
From Sci-fi to fantasy to mild horror, they have an amazing range of tone, rythm and flow, and whenever you're in the mood for a quick but still amazing read that will most likely mess up your mind for the next few hours, this is the right collection to choose (or any form of collection by Ray Bradbury, as I'm afraid this was a version only published in Ita
Kasey Jane
Wow, I was really struck by how misogynistic some of these stories were! Normally it doesn't bother me -- cultural relativism and all -- but for some reason this collection was distracting in its sexism. That said, it was surprisingly empathetic in its treatment of LGBT issues.

That said, there were a few gems (namely, The October Game) in what was otherwise, sadly, a collection of clunkers. Is this what happens when famous authors need to fill up a collection and use old stuff that wasn't good e
Matteo Pellegrini
Avvertiamo subito che degli undici racconti qui riuniti da Bradbury per la prima volta in volume soltanto quattro ("La bottiglia Azzurra", "Angelo guarda il futuro", "Un pezzo di legno" e "Breve storia del Quarto Reich") sono di fantascienza in senso stretto. Due ("In trappola" e "I miracoli di Jamie") sono piuttosto di fantasy, mentre un altro ("Gioco d'ottobre") è piuttosto di horror. Ma come classificare i quattro che rimangono? Non li classifichiamo. Ricordiamo invece il giudizio che Kingsle
Brian Clegg
I've been catching up on some old Bradbury, and loving the short stories in this collection. Just occasionally with Bradbury his writing almost becomes a caricature of himself (like the brilliant John Sladek parody amongst the various prominent SF writers he captures so well at the end of The Steam Driven Boy) - which is why I didn't give it the full five stars. But even so there are some absolute classics here.

Anyone who thinks science fiction and fantasy means poor writing style needs just to
Wendy Brower
This book is what made me love Ray Bradbury. The Blue Bottle is one of the most brilliant stories ever written. The 2 geniuses of the century...Rod Serling and Ray Bradbury.
Chrystal Hays
I was lucky to find a first edition of this one. Although sometimes Bradbury seems a little tame and dreamy, some of these stories have a very contemporary bite.

The title story, "Long After Midnight", would do well to be re-published in the New Yorker today.

I also really liked "Interval in Sunlight", which I have not seen anywhere else and which was first published here. It's painfully modern and more in the field of human nature's ability to terrorize the self. I'd love to see if it could be a
Suzanne Skelly
This is a compellation of 22 short stories filled with he imagination of its author. He carries us from small-town America to the frozen dessert and double moon that have been part of our interior landscape in The Martian Chronicle . Fantastic or conventional, suspenseful or nostalgic, each of the stories has that aura of unexpected combined with the special ring of absolute rightness that is uniquely Bradbury.

If you like Bradbury you will love all these delicious morsels of creative literature.
Tecni
Apr 13, 2014 Tecni rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Tecni by: Joaquín
Nadie es perfecto. Entre mis imperfecciones literarias hay una que chirría bastante, y es que no soy un gran fanático de este Gran Maestro de los buenos géneros; ni siquiera su obra más consagrada me parece superior a otras de otros autores que a mí me parecen sublimes. Cuestión de gustos, supongo, o de aplicación de las teorías de Goebbels.

Esta colección de cuentos, por ejemplo, me ha resultado una auténtica montaña rusa de interés: hay algunos que bien merecerían puestos de honor en las mejore
Fox
This is, by far, my favorite collection of Ray Bradbury's short stories.

Ray Bradbury is a master of fantasy, of sci-fi, and of touching the dreams and the sweet innocence of childhood. He is a wonderful writer, a poetic genius, and stark reminder of how thoroughly writing can shape the mind and pluck the heart. Ray Bradbury is a genius of the short story whose grandeur has only ever been matched by perhaps Jonathan Carroll, if even that.

Ray Bradbury is also a genius of horror.

Stephen King has s
Casey
Its been a long time since I read some Ray Bradbury. And frankly, I didn't like his writing nearly as much as I once did.

I grew up with this writer, racing through my dad's huge volume of most of Bradbury's shorts, although maybe not most, as most as about 200 stories is. I recognized some of the stories in this volume that I've read previously. This collection is specifically Bradbury at his spookiest, absolutely fitting for this time of year, and by and large I enjoyed the majority of the stor
Raj
This collection is a mix of SF and non-genre stories that blend together remarkably well in that way that only Bradbury can do. There's no real theme to the collection, although three of the stories are about other writers (a parrot that could recite Hemmingway; an android of GB Shaw; and a time-travelling Thomas Wolfe). Several of the stories are also about growing old and moving on, and one or two of these had me close to tears.

Favourites include One Timeless Spring which offers an alternative
Jonathan
I don’t like short story anthologies. Oh, I read them from time to time, I just almost always end up disappointed. Kind of like every time Christmas rolls around and you see those chocolate medley gift boxes and think to yourself, “I should try one of those. Maybe it won’t taste like burnt hair this time.”

There are multiple reasons for my dislike of short story compilations, not the least of which is the structure of the stories themselves. See the handy-dandy diagram!

I imagine most of you have
Kate
May 25, 2011 Kate rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: literary robots, burning men, selves past and future
Recommended to Kate by: The Twilight Zone
Shelves: science-fiction
"My hands blurred. They made motions that caused an illusion of a dozen hands. Like those pictures of Eastern goddesses they worship in temples. One hand with a tomato in it. One hand grasping a banana. A third hand seizing strawberries! A fourth, fifth, sixth hand caught in midmotion, each with a bit of cheese, olive, or radish!"

"I knew it was all over. I was lost. From this moment on, it would be a touching, an eating of foods, a learning of language and algebra and logic, a movement and an em
Mavrades
Recueil de dix nouvelles globalement bonnes dont quelques perles (Mañana, Adolf Chéri…)

* Châtiment sans crime (Punishment without crime) (©1950)
* Un dimanche tant bien que mal (Getting through sunday somehow)
* Le vœux (The wish)
* Une histoire d'amour (A story of love)
* Un crime vraiment parfait (The utterly perfect crime)
* Le plus sage de la sagesse (The better part of wisdom)
* Adolf chéri (Adolf chéri)
* Le pain de seigle (The pumpernickel)
* Le terrain de jeu (The playground) (© 1953)
Lorelei
I found this collection very uneven, with some stories that left me totally uninterested and others that were better, but it ended with a story that is one of my all time favourites, ever, by any author, and so I must rate it the more highly for that. I would pick this up again, anytime, just knowing that I get to enjoy Have I Got a Chocolate Bar for You! at the end.
Mark Oppenlander
Another good collection of Bradbury short stories. This one contains fewer science fiction and fantasy stories than a lot of his earlier volumes, but the straight literary sketches and psychological tales work pretty well. Included here are some of the usual nostalgia pieces, a few tales of unhappy marital relationships, a couple of revenge and horror stories and even several sketches that deal with society's view of homosexuality, a subject that was probably pretty avant garde when these were o ...more
Rusty
As I read this collection I found myself remembering just how much I enjoy Bradbury. His style is one that pulls the reader into the story whether it is about religion as in ’The Messiah‘ or ‘The Utterly Perfect Murder’ which explores a friend’s betrayal by a childhood schoolmate and how time affects both individuals. ’Messiah’ was an intriguing story for me. A priest discovers a Christ-like man in his church. Wanting so much to believe in the man he sees, the two have a long discussion. Other s ...more
Erik Graff
Dec 28, 2010 Erik Graff rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Bradbury fans
Recommended to Erik by: no one
Shelves: sf
During elementary school a couple of authors so impressed me that I resolved to read everything they had ever written. One was Mark Twain, another H.G. Wells, a third was Ray Bradbury. Ignorant, I thought that covering the paperback book racks at the drugstore and the selections in the local library did the job. It didn't; not by a long shot.

Since those exciting days of ignorance I've found innumerable volumes by all three authors which I'd never heard of before. To make things better, Bradbury
Edward ott
The stories were horrifying terrifying uplifting funny and enlightening. Bradbury was a brilliant writer and if you need proof read the book
Stephen North
Probably my overall favorite Bradbury book! In particular I love the stories The Blue Bottle and Drink Entire Against the Madness of the Crowds.
D'artagnan
Mr. Bradbury's words do not shine as cleverly as they seem to in his earlier collections, but there are some very worthwhile stories included. Also, he handles topics outside his usual forte, like gay couples coming out to their families, and Hemingway's pet parrot. What made it all smiles for me though was the very scary story titled The October Game - super scary, wicked scary, like I like them, and isn't that really what it's all about?

"By the sound of the children you knew the calendar day.
Alicia
This a bit of a disjointed collection, with a variety of themes. There is horror, sci-fi, and more ordinary literature. I thought there would be more sci-fi, because of the cover, but I found some of the more strait-forward pieces to be well done as well. I think everyone could find something they liked here.

My favorite is "Drink Entire: Against the Madness of Crowds," but I also enjoyed "One Timeless Spring," "A Story of Love," and "The October Game" fairly well. Others fell completely flat for
Scott Holstad
This book was a big disappointment, and I couldn't bring myself to finish it. There would be a decent piece sandwiched between loser pieces. It was sad. It probably didn't help that I was reading it at the same time I was enjoying a book of excellent Philip K Dick stories. So much more of an innovator. I read the absolute worst piece of short fiction I've ever encountered in this book. Utter trash! Please don't read "One Timeless Spring," or you'll never be able to look at Bradbury the same way ...more
Hal
Ray Bradbury demonstrates his mastery at perfectly capturing conflict and antagonism in all walks of life, with characters that come alive through highly evocative description. Like any collection, some stories are stronger than others, but on the whole this book covers an expansive range of humanity's struggles with a freshness that brings pause.
  • Tangents
  • The Other Side Of The Sky
  • Shatterday
  • Holding Wonder
  • From These Ashes: The Complete Short SF of Fredric Brown
  • Artificial Things
  • The Rest of the Robots (Robot, #0.2)
  • The Preserving Machine
  • The Terminal Beach
  • The Dark Eidolon and Other Fantasies
  • The Last Mimzy
  • Otherness
American novelist, short story writer, essayist, playwright, screenwriter and poet, was born August 22, 1920 in Waukegan, Illinois. He graduated from a Los Angeles high school in 1938. Although his formal education ended there, he became a "student of life," selling newspapers on L.A. street corners from 1938 to 1942, spending his nights in the public library and his days at the typewriter. He bec ...more
More about Ray Bradbury...
Fahrenheit 451 The Martian Chronicles Something Wicked This Way Comes (Green Town, #2) The Illustrated Man Dandelion Wine (Green Town, #1)

“But souls can't be sold. They can only be lost and never found again.” 83 likes
“He had never liked October. Ever since he had first lay in the autumn leaves before his grandmother's house many years ago and heard the wind and saw the empty trees. It had made him cry, without a reason. And a little of that sadness returned each year to him. It always went away with spring.

But, it was a little different tonight. There was a feeling of autumn coming to last a million years.

There would be no spring. ("The October Game")”
31 likes