Start by marking “Dogs and the Women Who Love Them: Extraordinary True Stories of Loyalty, Healing, and Inspiration” as Want to Read:

When the nurturing nature of women meets the loyalty and unguarded affection of dogs, remarkable connections ensue. This book showcases stories about these connections that result in courageous and compassionate acts of love and healing - for the dogs, the women, and all the people whose lives they touch. Readers will laugh, smile, and be moved by shelter dogs, police cani ...more
Published June 29th 2010 by New World Library

To ask other readers questions about Dogs and the Women Who Love Them, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dogs and the Women Who Love Them

Barbara
Mar 22, 2012 Barbara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Have you ever wondered if you love your dog too much? Well, if you are a woman who loves spending every spare moment with your dog and appreciate and treasure the love and bond you have with your dog, this book is a must read. You will laugh and cry, just as I did, at each of these stories. Not only will you feel connected with these women, but you will fall in love with their dogs as well. You will walk away with a profound understanding that dogs truly are spiritual teachers and our best frien ...more
Deborah Darsie
Oct 20, 2012 Deborah Darsie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-dog
A varied collection of essays by women who had some incredible relationships with their dogs.
The first section touched me more than the other two sections - but I really enjoyed the majority of the book.

Thought-provoking connections between human and animal.
Working dogs, pets, doggie therapists - with some deeply personal stories shared with us.

L. Virelli
Jan 06, 2012 L. Virelli rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Being someone who is a woman and a dog lover myself, I love these stories. Don't forget to read the sweet, uplifting story by Lori Durante Rardin called "A Familiar Friend Turns Ordinary into Extraordinary." That one was written by me under my other name. :-) Enjoy.
Debbie Heaton
Sep 16, 2011 Debbie Heaton rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This collection of stories stem from a diverse range of women and dogs and the experiences that empowered their lives. They are uplifting and inspirational.
Cindy
Nov 30, 2010 Cindy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful and inspiring stories.
Dec 26, 2011 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really good stories about how women met and lived and loved their dogs. Just a great read!! (If you are a woman who adores her pup!!)
Becky
Mar 12, 2017 Becky rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Dogs and The Women Who Love Them" - They say diamonds are a girl's best friend. The Anderson through the stories they compile from women of all shapes, sizes and such proof "they" wrong. A dog truly is a girl's best friend. The book was featured on Oprah.com as one of the top dog books of 2010, and remains on a must-read list for all those canine fans. It features numerous stories that not only inform but encourage and are inspiring. The women featured give honest, open epistles about their rel ...more
Marcela
Jan 16, 2014 Marcela rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dogs
Great book. You have to read this book, dog lovers, for it is a compilation of stories about, what else?, women that love, love, love, their dogs. Some of the stories will move you and even make you cry, while others will have you laughing hard. Another thing I liked was that at the end of every story the writer would ask a question or mention something to entice you and encourage you to think about your own life.
Spider
Sep 11, 2011 Spider rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought some of these stories ran on a bit, and that several of the writers gave many elements that were personally significant, but didn't really seem to relate how dogs helped or inspired them.
I am glad to have read this book just the same, and grateful to the women who took the time to share their stories, and to the Anderson's for making these stories available.
Doris Raines
Apr 16, 2016 Doris Raines rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: doris-shelf
O. How. Precious. Is. She. O. How. Precious. Is. He. They. Are. Turelly. So. Special. They. Are. Also. Here. For. You. And. For. Me. Ruff _ ruff
Gloria
May 13, 2015 Gloria rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'm a dog lover but for some reason this book was a drag to get through. I don't know why but something was lacking.
Jliongrrrl
Perfect beach book, unrelated short stories. It made me miss my dog though :(
Amy
Sep 01, 2010 Amy marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfict, animals
This book looks great. But I probably won't ever read it because it looks like I would cry.
Kayla
Kayla rated it really liked it
Jul 09, 2011
Carol
Carol rated it really liked it
Dec 20, 2010
Middlethought
Middlethought rated it it was amazing
Jun 22, 2017
Mary Ellen
Mary Ellen rated it it was amazing
Oct 10, 2013
Dani
Dani rated it liked it
Feb 07, 2011
Katie
Katie rated it really liked it
Apr 22, 2011
Carolyn
Carolyn rated it really liked it
Nov 25, 2013
Brenna Darazs
Brenna Darazs rated it really liked it
Aug 26, 2011
Tristy at New World Library
Tristy at New World Library rated it it was amazing
May 09, 2016
Jennifer rated it liked it
Mar 03, 2016
Nicole
Nicole rated it liked it
Aug 13, 2012
Lynn Ware
Lynn Ware rated it it was amazing
Jun 13, 2013
Jodie Luckett
Jodie Luckett rated it really liked it
Jan 14, 2011
Granny
Granny rated it really liked it
Aug 17, 2011
Deborah
Deborah rated it really liked it
Feb 15, 2015
Shannon
Shannon rated it it was amazing
Sep 02, 2010
« previous 1 3 next »
Angel Animals Books: OPRAH.COM PICK NOW AN AUDIO BOOK! 1 1 Jul 09, 2013 06:42PM
book club 2 4 Apr 25, 2013 09:13PM
  • Love at First Bark: How Saving a Dog Can Sometimes Help You Save Yourself
  • Ethics on the Ark: Zoos, Animal Welfare, and Wildlife Conservation
  • Jungle Jack: My Wild Life
  • Soul of a Dog: Reflections on the Spirits of the Animals of Bedlam Farm
  • The Puppy Whisperer: A Compassionate, Non Violent Guide to Early Training and Care
  • Fowl Weather
  • Best Friends: The True Story of the World's Most Beloved Animal Sanctuary
  • Your Dog Is Your Mirror: The Emotional Capacity of Our Dogs and Ourselves
  • Saving Cinnamon: The Amazing True Story of a Missing Military Puppy and the Desperate Mission to Bring Her Home
  • No Dogs in Heaven?: Scenes from the Life of a Country Veterinarian
  • The Inner World of Farm Animals: Their Amazing Intellectual, Emotional and Social Capacities
  • Old Dogs Are the Best Dogs
  • While You're Here, Doc: Farmyard Adventures of a Maine Veterinarian
  • Woman's Best Friend: Women Writers on the Dogs in Their Lives
  • How Dogs Think: What the World Looks Like to Them and Why They Act the Way They Do
  • A Small Furry Prayer: Dog Rescue and the Meaning of Life
  • Journey of the Pink Dolphins: An Amazon Quest
  • One Dog at a Time: Saving the Strays of Helmand - An Inspiring True Story
20549
New York Times Best-Selling authors, Allen and Linda Anderson, are pet experts, keynote speakers, and founders of the Angel Animals Network. They help people discover and benefit from the miraculous powers of animals.

Dedicated to promoting human-animal companionship, Allen and Linda donate a portion of proceeds from their work to animal rescue organizations and do fundraising activities.

The Anders

More about Allen Anderson...