Start by marking “Phoenix Rising (Ministry of Peculiar Occurrences, #1)” as Want to Read:
Phoenix Rising (Ministry of Peculiar Occurrences, #1)

Phoenix Rising (Ministry of Peculiar Occurrences #1)

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  5,032 ratings  ·  727 reviews
In Victorian England, Londoners wash up dead on Thames, drained of blood and bone. Clandestine Ministry of Peculiar Occurrences is forbidden to investigate. But Eliza Braun, with bulletproof corset, fondness for dynamite, remarkable devices, drags along timorous new partner Wellington Books, of encyclopedic brain, against Phoenix intent on enslaving Britons.
Published April 26th 2011 by Harper Voyager

To ask other readers questions about Phoenix Rising, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Phoenix Rising

Soulless by Gail CarrigerLeviathan by Scott WesterfeldBoneshaker by Cherie PriestPerdido Street Station by China MiévilleThe Time Machine by H.G. Wells
Best Steampunk Books
22nd out of 710 books — 3,470 voters
Soulless by Gail CarrigerPhoenix Rising by Pip BallantineChangeless by Gail CarrigerBlameless by Gail CarrigerThe Last Adventure of Dr. Yngve Hogalum by D.L. Mackenzie
Steampunk
2nd out of 336 books — 561 voters

More lists with this book...

Stephen
Okay, Steampunk, here's the deal...the freshness has worn off, the splash has dried up and you have become as ubiquitous as Starbucks in the world of science fiction and fantasy.

Remember when Starbucks & Steampunk were both the bright-eyed, hipster, upstart new kid on the block basking in their novelty and unique approach and nose-thumbing at the old guard of the status quo? Well, like Starbucks, Steampunk has grown fat and happy and become the status quo. Everywhere you turn, you can see i
Carol.

Steampunk is an odd mesh of history, fantasy and technology that frequently suffers from inconsistent blending. Perhaps I will have to agree with Kerry's review and declare "genre incompatibility." Like the loud drunk guy at a party, it is at times mildly funny, then unintelligibly serious, but always focused on getting some action and, ultimately, annoying. Undoubtedly, if you stand by him too long, there will be beer spilled on your shoes.

Phoenix made a pass and missed me. First, there is the
Don't look now, but Sarah just tried to read another steampunk novel.

Seriously, though. Why do I keep attempting this genre? Is it the visual allure? Possibly. But the fact remains: despite whatever drives me to pick up these books, I don't like steampunk. There's something about it that rubs me the wrong way. Perhaps it's the gizmos. Perhaps it's the muddled and/or taken-on-faith world-building. In any case, steampunk inevitably leaves me feeling as if I've been left out of an exclusive club &a
Catherine
It’s not often that I read a book with quite this dynamic. The heroine is the daring, dynamic one in the investigating duo. The hero is the adorably proper and nerdy Archivist who finds his combustible new partner a trial to him. Eliza and Wellington have both become rather set in their roles. When they find themselves partnered and forced to work together it’s a learning experience for them both.

All poor Wellington wants to do is work behind the scenes and rule his little domain in the Archives
Felicia
Soo I am a fan of Philippa's other series, Geist, but I didn't actually see that she wrote THIS book until after, haha.

I enjoyed this book a lot. The main character's voice, like in Geist, was definitely one of the biggest strengths, and the other characters were well-drawn. This is a cool steampunk world that actually worked for me, I enjoyed the idea of a secret bureau, and the tech and description of the world and items in it was enjoyable.

I guess the only things I could say negative were tha
Isa Lavinia
Poor writing (too much tell, not enough show), poor editing, poor pacing, lazy characterizations, and a plot that managed, somehow, to be both absurd and boring. The dialogue desperately tried to be witty but always fell short.

Also, Books and Braun? Come on, now.

The actual steampunk bits (the gadgets and the like) were interesting, hence the 2 stars rating (because I can't give it a 1.5).

And I still can't forgive this:

“It was believed that Ferdinand Magellan was one of its members.”
Eliza blinked
Ugur
May 08, 2015 Ugur added it
Shelves: fantasy, steampunk
Normally I wait to finish to review a novel but for this novel I want to write my feelings while reading. For a long time I was planning to read Steam-Punk novels, and last year I’ve bought two steam-punk themed novels. The first one was Soulless, the first book of Parasol Protectorate. But I could not find what I’ve expected from a steam-punk, because it is more like a paranormal-urban fantasy and it has few steam-punk elements. Then I started reading Phoenix Rising, the first book of Ministry ...more
Marcus
After the first pages of Pip Ballantine’s and Tee Morris’ Phoenix Rising: A Ministry of Peculiar Occurrences Novel I was under the impression of heading into a hilarious and almost slapsticky Steampunk adventure. Eliza Brown and Wellington Books, the central protagonists, were simply too much of a missmatch and their initial “conversations” too comical. I had several good laughs.
Gradually, the lightheartedness leaves the novel, though. Keeping pace with the developments, the comical nature of th
Kelly
(3.5 stars) Wellington Books and Eliza Braun are agents in the Ministry of Peculiar Occurrences, taking on the uncanny in the name of Queen and country. Agent Books is a straitlaced archivist — don’t call him a librarian — who enjoys mechanical tinkering and his peaceful job among the Ministry’s old files. Agent Braun is an outspoken New Zealand transplant who loves to blow things up. At the beginning of Phoenix Rising, the two agents land themselves in the doghouse with the Ministry and are ass ...more
Kerry Allen
Quit on page 22.

My last shot at steampunk. It always seems more interested in exploring the minute details of incomprehensible gadgets than the inner workings of the characters. Since engaging characters are a reading priority of mine, I declare genre incompatibility.

In the two chapters I read of this particular offering: Profuse character self-description (sometimes I feel like the only person who doesn't believe it's natural to pepper my internal dialogue with remarks about my own appearance)
Chris
Aug 09, 2011 Chris rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Downy Jr or Cumberpatch Sherlock Holmes lovers
Don't judge a book by its cover. Yeah, but readers do it all the time. It's sad, but we have too - there so many books out there. In some ways, the covers become the short-cuts - romantic covers look one way, fantasy covers another.

But then you have books like this one. I really wasn't sure if I should pick this up. But I figured what the h*ll, Borders is leaving.
But just take a look at that cover. Honestly, what woman, outside of Lady Gaga, would go out in Victorian London, even a steampunk ver
Rashika (is tired)
Actual Rating 3.5

This was ridiculously fun and my only issue is that I wish there had been a little more mystery and perhaps a little more spark. Either way, HERE I COME SEQUELS.
Katyana
****3.5****

This is the fun new start to a steampunk series. It was a slow-starter for me, but I liked the world building a lot, and I loved the main characters. It was fun seeing the usual dynamic turned on it's head: Eliza Braun was the ass-kicker, and Wellington Books was the brain (I am sure you could guess that from the names *laugh*). It was a lot of fun watching them banter.

I only wish that we'd gotten a little better groundwork laid, in terms of who the players are in this series. The bad
Jessie  (Ageless Pages Reviews)
Read This Review & More Like It On My Blog!

4.5 out of 5

This was just great fun for me to read once it hit its stride - Phoenix Rising has nice mix of the best elements: a finely tuned use of steampunk and its gadgets, two vastly different but strangely compatible, rounded main characters, amusing banter, and a plethora of smart antagonists against which to pit their brains and Braun. The first hundred pages are used quite effectively to establish each of the individual characters and the wor
Mike
Out of perhaps misplaced loyalty to a fellow New Zealander, I try hard to like Philippa Ballantine's stuff. Chasing the Bard I enjoyed, but up until now I've never been able to finish anything else of hers, or Tee Morris's.

I read this one all the way to the end, though, and although I nearly gave up in the middle, I'm glad I stayed for the big boom.

Major publishing houses no longer seem to give decent editing to first novels, and Phoenix Rising is no exception. It's full of small errors of wor
Forrest
I’m having a bit of a bad run. REAMDE was obnoxiously long and mostly not good so I went after a bit of steampunk book candy in Phoenix Rising, which turned out to be mostly not good. I wrote in my review of The Wise Man’s Fear that a good book can capture your attention and power you through exhaustion. Conversely, a bad book will put you right to sleep. I feel asleep six times trying to finish Phoenix Rising, and two of those times were in the middle of the day. It could be that I’ve read enou ...more
Mike (the Paladin)
Well...I may need to add a new shelf. This is a fantasy and fits (depending on your personal definition of the term) into the Urban Fantasy milieu (as it takes place largely in Victorian London. But it's not "our" Victorian London. This is (I believe) the first Steampunk I've ever really liked. This could change things big time for me...I was never a Steampunk fan.

Okay, back to business. Good book, maybe not great, maybe total brain brain candy, but fun. We start with the requisite kick-butt hot
AH
Great fun! Automatons, bullet-proof corsets, explosions, and more!

Eliza Braun loves her weapons and her dynamite. Wellington Books prefers to hide away in his basement offices at the Ministry of Peculiar Occurrences. When these two characters are forced to work together, sparks fly – literally.

Phoenix rising is the first book in Philippa Ballantine’s and Tee Morris’ Ministry of Peculiar Occurrences series. This is steampunk done right, down to every last detail. Set in Victorian London, Phoenix
Lindsay Stares
I had forgotten the premise of this book between the time I requested the galley and the time I read it. This did not improve the experience, as I was not mentally prepared for steampunk. Bear that in mind.

Premise: Archivist Wellington Books and Agent Eliza Braun are thrown together by their jobs at the Ministry, but must learn to work together and trust each other in order to track down and foil the secret society endangering steampunk Victorian England.

Is it me? I would think steampunk should
Ben Babcock
Why did no one tell me this book existed until now????!!!!111

Seriously, it took a careful browsing of the library’s New Paperbacks section to discover the second and third books in this series. A quick hop to the nearby computer (which I think is running some kind of locked-down Ubuntu if the font anti-aliasing is anything to go by) to check the library’s catalogue, and sure enough, Phoenix Rising was in the stacks of that branch. Have I mentioned how much I love my library?

A quick glance at the
colleen the fabulous fabulaphile
2.5

The first chapter starts with a bang (see, I can do puns, too), and we're thrust into the world of Books and Braun.

Yes - Books (the Archivist/librarian/stuffy one) and Braun (the muscle/spunky/fighter). (There is also a character named Bruce Campbell, which may or may not be a nod to the man with the chin, and a couple named Barnabas and Angelique Collins - though they are of little consequence to the story.)

Anyway...

One thing I often expect from books set in Victorian England, and which I o
Kim
It is really, really rare for me not to finish reading a book. Like, I think I've done it once in the past few years? And yet, I just can't force myself to finish this one. I am so disappointed. I had heard good things about this steampunk book.

So, basically I just can't take how badly written this book is. Not just badly edited, as I've read other reviewers say. Yes, it IS badly edited, and if there was someone with the title editor who worked on this book, they deserve to be fired. But beyond
Angela James
Note: I got this book as an ARC from HarperCollins via NetGalley. I hope they don't decide to never give me another book again!

Straight up: I only read the first 1/3 of this book and then the last 3 chapters, so I didn't read the whole thing. I'm going to tell you why. I wanted to like this book (kind of desperately wanted to like it because I'm eager for a new steampunk series) and I thought the book started off really well. Unfortunately, as I went on, I found myself feeling disconnected from
Kathy (Kindle-aholic)
Jun 03, 2011 Kathy (Kindle-aholic) rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who loves steampunk, gadgets and adventure
Shelves: steampunk
4.5 Stars

I grew up watching Wild Wild West, The Avengers, and Sherlock Holmes re-runs, and this book felt like coming home.

This one was so much fun to read. I really loved it. Lots of adventure, gadgets, the brassy Eliza Braun with her love of explosives and weaponry, the dapper Wellington Books with his love of order and gadgetry. They are completely mismatched, which means of course that they make absolutely perfect partners. They just don't know it yet.

As a punishment for their respective sc
Amanda Makepeace
What can I say about Phoenix Rising… Could there be a more awesome and deliciously fun steampunk novel? I think not! The first book in the Ministry of Peculiar Occurrences series is full of mystery, diabolic secret societies, fantastic steampunk devices and enough Victorian mayhem to make the Brontë sisters blush.

But let’s be practical for a moment. A book can have all the inner workings, but for me the characters are what seal the deal. The chemistry between Eliza D. Braun and Wellington Books
Jana
Phoenix Rising

Fast, entertaining, gripping, and humorous. Phoenix Rising features a dynamic duo with great chemistry and a lot of enjoyable banter. Great world-building and characterisation. Also: depiction of sexual debauchery including the drugging of unwilling participants and hunting humans. There’s some discussion of the feeling of superiority and subsequent entitlement. We get books, and gadgets, and seriously villainous villains, and kick-ass heroes.

Gender roles are tweaked in this steam
Renee Bennett
To be fair, this book has decent plotting, and it goes through its plot with two-fisted enthusiasm. There is humor, history, and histrionics aplenty (and where else are you going to read about a sword duel between two women on-stage during the climax of an operatic presentation of MACBETH?) Unfortunately, that isn't enough for me.

I have encountered one of these writers before, and was underwhelmed by their efforts. This book was recommended to me, and I've heard good things about the other autho
Shelley aka Gizmo's Reviews
*Genre* Steampunk
*Rating* 4

*Review*

Phoenix Rising is set in the late 1890’s London where Queen Victoria rules. Yet, there are those who don’t much care for her, or her policies and want to see her rule end and replaced by something else entirely. The villains don’t much care for those from the colonies and want them returned to their home countries immediately. It’s a city that has dirigibles, and mechanical men. Even Books has created a new technology that can actually locate a certain person l
Talk Supe
I didn't expect how funny Phoenix Rising was going to be. Complemented the action very well
X5-494
1,5 stars out of 5.

I wanted to like this book better, I really did.

The idea of a super-secret society operating right under the nose of Queen Victoria and the Ministry of Peculiar Occurrences, trying to “rebuild” Britain to its “former glory”, only opposed by one field agent and one librarian archivist, because everybody else just doesn’t have a single clue, sounded wonderful. And in a Steampunk setting, no less. (Plus, the cover is beautiful and really intriguing.)

I imagined a daring hero/ine w
  • Dead Iron (Age of Steam, #1)
  • The Doomsday Vault (Clockwork Empire, #1)
  • The Falling Machine (The Society of Steam, #1)
  • Tarnished (The St. Croix Chronicles, #1)
  • The Native Star (Veneficas Americana, #1)
  • Steam & Sorcery (Gaslight Chronicles, #1)
  • Lady of Devices (Magnificent Devices, #1)
  • Agatha H and the Airship City (Girl Genius Novels, #1)
  • Clockwork Heart (Clockwork Heart, #1)
  • New Amsterdam (New Amsterdam, #1)
  • The Hunter (The Legend Chronicles, #1)
  • Whitechapel Gods
  • Steampunk II: Steampunk Reloaded (Steampunk, #2)
  • The Horns of Ruin
  • The Greyfriar (Vampire Empire, #1)
  • Avalon Revisited
  • God Save the Queen (The Immortal Empire, #1)
  • The Strange Affair of Spring Heeled Jack (Burton & Swinburne, #1)

Ministry of Peculiar Occurrences (9 books)
  • The Janus Affair (Ministry of Peculiar Occurrences, #2)
  • Dawn's Early Light (Ministry of Peculiar Occurrences, #3)
  • The Diamond Conspiracy (Ministry of Peculiar Occurrences, #4)
  • Ministry Protocol: Thrilling Tales of the Ministry of Peculiar Occurrences
  • Tales from the Archives: Collection 7
  • Clockwork Portal (Tale from the Archives Book 3)
  • Bitter Pill (Tale from the Archives Book 3)
  • A Christmas to Die for
The Janus Affair (Ministry of Peculiar Occurrences, #2) Dawn's Early Light (Ministry of Peculiar Occurrences, #3) The Diamond Conspiracy (Ministry of Peculiar Occurrences, #4) A Ministry of Peculiar Occurrences: Tales from the Archives, Collection 1 Ministry Protocol: Thrilling Tales of the Ministry of Peculiar Occurrences

“She groaned as her face turned to press against the rosewood floor. "Welly, remind me to order a better mattress for my bed. This one is far too firm."

"Oh, Eliza," Wellington gasped, now remembering why he was in these lush surroundings. "No broken nose, I hope."

"S'all right," Braun slurred. Her voiced dropped to a whisper. "My ample bosom broke my fall.”
16 likes