Start by marking “The Whisperer in the Darkness” as Want to Read:
The Whisperer in the Darkness

The Whisperer in the Darkness

3.90  ·  Rating Details  ·  287 Ratings  ·  35 Reviews
Bear in mind closely that I did not see any actual visual horror at the end. To say that a mental shock was the cause of what I inferred--that last straw which sent me racing out of the lonely Akeley farmhouse and through the wild domed hills of Vermont in a commandeered motor at night--is to ignore the plainest facts of my final experience. Notwithstanding the deep things ...more
Nook, 0 pages
Published November 20th 2010 by New Century Books (first published August 1931)

To ask other readers questions about The Whisperer in the Darkness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Whisperer in the Darkness

Katy
Nov 16, 2012 Katy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those looking to start reading Lovecraft
Please note: This novella is included in The Complete Works of H.P. Lovecraft , which can be downloaded for free from the CthulhuChick website. (Links where formatting is allowed)

Synopsis: An Arkham university professor is contacted by a farmer living in a remote part of Vermont, who claims to have evidence of aliens living in the hills and mining a mysterious metal. After visiting, the professor becomes alarmed at the mysterious change in the behavior of the farmer, including his assertion tha
Kirsten *Dogs Welcome - People Tolerated"
A wonderfully eerie and creepy tale of strange goings-on in the mountains of Vermont. Strange beings - alien? - are visiting the mountains for some kind of mineral and trying to stop investigations by locals and a folklore professor from Boston. Loved this story for its atmospherics and science fiction terror.
⊱ Irena ⊰
Dec 02, 2014 ⊱ Irena ⊰ rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
The narrator, Albert N. Wilmarth who teaches at Miskatonic University in Arkham, tells a story about horrible events that took place near Townshend, Vermont.

Newspapers report that after a flood, people notice strange creatures floating in the river. He, of course, doesn't believe that but his published opinion makes Henry Wentworth Akeley, a man from a place where the creatures have been seen, write to him. Since the man is not a crazy person (even if his letters are a bit crazy), they become fr
Lindsay
This story was written shortly after the discovery of Pluto, and Lovecraft endearingly wasted no time pinning down the new planet's identity to Yuggoth, home of The Elder Ones :-) There are some seriously mindbending celestial phenomena proposed here, part of what makes Lovecraft so unique and appealing to me. It is also yet another great dark, brooding, suspenseful tale where he reveals and holds back just enough to leave you with that delicious signature flavour of fear of the unknown.
Myles
Feb 07, 2015 Myles rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-stories, horror
I either chose the worst or best circumstances to read this in preparation for a talk at my library by a Lovecraft scholar about H.P. Lovecraft's 1927 and 1928 visits to Windham county in southern VT after a particularly devastating flood. "The Whisperer in the Darkness" is the result of those visits. The Cthulu mythos had already been developed, as well as most of Lovecraft's story tactics, but there is an authentic old Yankee chill throughout that is pure Vermon'. We have no hard 'T' sounds at ...more
John Cesarone
Feb 18, 2016 John Cesarone rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This reminded me a lot like The Colour Out Of Space; a Miskatonic University literature professor begins a correspondence with an elderly amateur scientist in Vermont, who claims to be communing with beings from outer space. These aliens have allegedly been here for eons, and mine an essential element from below the earth. After much letter writing, he invites the professor to visit. The Prof finds that the old man is to have his brain surgically removed in preparation for transportation across ...more
Marna
Mar 24, 2015 Marna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This has been my favorite so far.

Odd, as I was so angry at the narrator (in his work you seem to have narrators, not protagonists) I had gone into oversimplifying sarcastic yelling mode and usually there is no coming back from that.

But the payoff was so sinister and compelling.

I honestly didn't much want to like this author. And usually, I have to feel like I like the author to like the book. I've noticed that in my reviews.

Well, I still don't particularly like the author and it is unsurprising
Katia
Apr 23, 2013 Katia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dans cette nouvelle, seuls deux protagonistes entrent en scène. D’un côté, Wilmarth, un professeur de littérature, et de l’autre Akeley, un homme passionné par la science, les deux hommes sont amis.

Wilmarth est le narrateur, il reçoit d’étranges lettres de son ami Henry Akeley. Dans ces lettres, il est question de créatures étranges vivants dans les bois et qui semblent se rapprocher dangereusement de l’habitation d’Akeley.

Selon la légende ces créatures ne ressemblent à rien de connu et viennent
Nadyne
First sentence: "Bear in mind closely that I did not see any actual visual horror at the end."

Last sentence: "For the things in the chair, perfect to the last, subtle detail of microscopic resemblance - or identity - were the face and the hands of Henry Wentworth Akeley."

Of all the horror stories by Lovecraft, that I read sofar (2011),this was my favourite one.

Summary from Wikipedia:

The story is told by Albert N. Wilmarth, an instructor of literature at Miskatonic University in Arkham. When loc
Eulercauchy
Nov 11, 2015 Eulercauchy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was just a great, great Lovecraft story. No racism to grate the nerves or distract me from the story. Tons of lore and building and texturing of his universe. Excellent unnerving of the reader through strangeness becoming truer and truer.

It's everything that makes Lovecraft excellent. I would consider this essential Lovecraft along with The Shadow Over Innsmouth and The Nameless City. Yeah, I know, I'm weird.
Dame Julie D'Anjou
Nov 12, 2015 Dame Julie D'Anjou rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-novels
Une nouvelle qui m'a tenue en haleine du début à la fin! Je trouve la façon de raconter l'histoire prenante et elle fait fonctionner un peu notre imagination horrifique (chose qui amplifie le côté "horrifique" je trouve).
Seul bémol, n'ayant lu que deux nouvelles de H.P. Lovecraft je n'ai pas pu saisir toute l'étendue de l'impact de certaines choses citées. Mais ça c'est à moi de régler cette ignorance!
Marco
Nov 18, 2015 Marco rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
The 1928 floods bring rumors of strange bodies in the swollen rivers of rural Vermont. These rumors build on older stories about winged, crab-like beings from the stars with an outpost in the hills. Albert Wilmarth, folklore professor at Miskatonic University, writes editorials arguing that these are merely the local instantiation of a standard myth. Henry Akeley, an educated Vermont farmer, writes to insist that he has evidence of the rumors' truth. He's seen the creatures, taken photographs of ...more
Sohail
Dec 10, 2015 Sohail rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some parts of this novella are very irrational and unacceptable. The protagonist's gullibility is simply stupid, and the final part of the story when the bad guys do nothing is just absurd. Nevertheless, the air of mystery and tension turn this one into an interesting, albeit predictable and senseless adventure.
Baal Of
Aug 16, 2014 Baal Of rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, horror
This story had the right combination of weirdness and creeping dread, plus a brain in a jar. Yeah, Lovecraft's prose can be a bit lurid, but sometimes he gets the ideas across effectively.
David
Quite enjoyed reading this. The story is, like the Dunwich Horror, told from the perspective of a learned individual. Of how disbelief and fascination are woven together into a compelling narrative. I just love that flowery prose, even though it drove me to a dictionary quite a few times.

The way the story told conveys a sense of growing dread and paranoia that can infect the reader's imagination, thinking about just what's out there. You get these glimpses and then of strange far-fetched tales t
Sean Kottke
Great extension of the Cthulu mythos into outer space (specifically, Yuggoth, or Pluto), this is the template for The Evil Dead. Nice twist on the formula that the "Vermont Horror" creatures are capable of peaceful co-existence (with conditions, of course) with humanity, which creates its own monsters out of the monster-hunters.
Variaciones Enrojo
Edición argentina con traducción de M.E. Alcatena e ilustraciones de Fer Calvi [check]
Michał Antropik
Magnificent work of sci-fi horror.
Cheb-Azame Mohammad al-Zendiiq
As Salvador Dali once quoted - "No Comments"
Erika
Oct 13, 2013 Erika rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
I've probably read this one some five times already. Weird thing is I like it better and better every time I read it again. There's something very, very compelling about the way Lovecraft talks to the reader. You know quite well where the whole thing is going yet you keep on reading 'cause it's very enjoyable. All in all, I find Lovecraft's depiction of extraterrestrial beings innovative and the length of this story just right to leave a reader satisfied.
Lisa
Aug 25, 2013 Lisa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this short story! Lovecraft creates a very chilling story here and it's definitely worth a read. The main character is contacted by a man having horrifying run-ins with creatures from another world at his remote home in the mountains. His communications with the main character are often intercepted and changed and eventually the main character goes out to visit him only to be brought into the horror himself. Well worth the quick read!
Raphael Leib
That the ending is somewhat predictable makes it no less horrifying. Fun read.
Julie Boudreau
Jun 03, 2013 Julie Boudreau rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
Je découvre et j'apprécie l'univers de Lovecraft. J'ai préféré Charles Dexter Ward à celui-ci, mais on y retrouve cette même ambiance lugubre, l'horreur non décrite et ce petit ouhhh ressenti à la lecture de la dernière page. Intéressant parce pas du tout gore ou sanglant. Simplement de la bonne épouvante suggestive.
Jordan Fitzgerald
Classic piece of Lovecraft literature. It tells the history of Yogoth and the outer ones/Mi-Go.
Josh Baker
Aug 01, 2013 Josh Baker rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great story. Classic Lovecraft, these are the stories like Mountains of Madness that got him out of Poe 's looming, though inspirational, shadow. One of his more original stories, truly terrifying in craft and construction.
Liz
Aug 25, 2010 Liz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely genus....Lovecraft always keeps you on edge, without giving to much away and slams you with a devastating ending. Definitely one of the best stories I have ever read-Lovecraft is a genre within himself.
Louis
May 20, 2015 Louis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
Damn it, Lovecraft. That ending will just leave me guessing and wanting more! This is the kind of stuff that keeps me awake at night. Brilliant, one of H.P.'s very best.
Void lon iXaarii
It reminds me of the feeling I got from of my childhood better X Files episodes. Pretty nice.
Lisa
This is the first H.P. Lovecraft I've ever read. It was a great place to start.
Matt
Mar 13, 2015 Matt rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2015
3/5

What a troubled, paranoid, creative, weird dude.

3/5

MH
  • Hydra
  • Stargate Atlantis: Angelus (Stargate Atlantis, #11)
  • Stargate Atlantis: Casualties of War (Stargate Atlantis, #7)
  • Stargate Atlantis: Blood Ties (Stargate Atlantis, #8)
  • Tokyo Cult Recipes
  • Samlade Svenska Kulter
  • Haunt of Horror: Lovecraft
  • Stargate Atlantis: Entanglement (Stargate Atlantis, #6)
  • Tokyo Tower   Mom And Me, And Sometimes Dad [In Japanese Language]
  • Shutter Island
  • The Terror
  • The Many Faces of Van Helsing
  • Fatal Lies (Liebermann Papers, #3)
  • La Vie d'une autre
  • Nouvelles Histoires extraordinaires
  • La Société des jeunes pianistes (Aksel Vinding, #1)
  • Stranger in the House
  • The Barque of Heaven
Howard Phillips Lovecraft, of Providence, Rhode Island, was an American author of horror, fantasy and science fiction.

Lovecraft's major inspiration and invention was cosmic horror: life is incomprehensible to human minds and the universe is fundamentally alien. Those who genuinely reason, like his protagonists, gamble with sanity. Lovecraft has developed a cult following for his Cthulhu Mythos, a
More about H.P. Lovecraft...