Start by marking “Magia d'inverno” as Want to Read:
Magia d'inverno

Magia d'inverno (The Moomins #6)

4.39 of 5 stars 4.39  ·  rating details  ·  3,465 ratings  ·  153 reviews
Ormai conoscete la Valle dei Mumin, dov'è atterrato Il Cappello del Gran Bau e dove la Magia di Mezz'Estate ha tramutato la Casa dei Mumin in un acquario. Ora è un inverno non meno magico, in cui il troll Mumin, unico della sua famiglia, si sveglia all'improvviso dal letargo e si trova in un mondo sconosciuto, popolato da misteriose creature. "Ci sono un'infinità di esseri ...more
Published July 1992 by Salani (first published 1957)

To ask other readers questions about Magia d'inverno, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Magia d'inverno

notgettingenough
This book has the best footnotes.

A displaced hedgehog is a hedgehog that has been removed from its home against its will and not even had time to pack its toothbrush.

And a bit later on, when we are so sad because squirrel is dead, the most comforting footnote I've ever read:

In case the reader feels like having a cry, please take a quick look at p. 126.
Eddie Watkins
The human world is a huge mess that somehow survives the day. I don’t know how it happens, and I’m not sure that all our (un)concerted efforts to help it survive don’t just further complicate things and make that daily survival less and less possible. My attitude in these matters is generally that of a cynical Taoist – a profound faith in things as they are functioning “perfectly” in enormous rhythms of time wedded to an understanding that most humans only make things worse. If pressed my explan ...more
Sinistra
Someone bought me this book from a second-hand store when I was a kid. I can't remember who. I had never heard of the Moomin world before that, and for more than a decade no one else I knew ever indicated a knowledge of it. I saw a Little My button on a girl's backpack in High School and pointed it out and she went nuts with joy that someone had recognised it. Moominland was a secret world known by so few. Now the books are easier to find I IMPLORE you to buy them.

I swear this book changed me i
Jun 29, 2007 Jennifer rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anna, Stella, Destinee
Moomin wakes up from his hibernation, but it is still winter! He discovers a whole "new" world. This one is really fun and the some of the illustrations are very cool.
Jenni
I love Moomins, especially these books. I think I'm lucky that I was never read these when I was a kid and get to discover them now that I'm an adult and understand all the layers and meanings the stories have. This is one of those books that at first looks like it's just about winter, but there's so much more to it. The fear of unknown, adapting to unfamiliar situations, trust, anticipation. It is incredibly beautifully written, like all Jansson's books are, the language in itself being comfort ...more
Elizabeth
my absolute favorite of the Moomin books. This time I read it entirely in the summer house, which has emerged triumphant in winter in much the same way Too Ticky takes over the Bathing Hut in the book.

"here come the dumb
the lonely and the rum
the wild and the quiet
bang goes the drum"

Too Ticky is the character I would most like to be... I suppose Little My is my favorite, but I would rather actually model myself on Too Ticky. And I want a red winter hat that I can turn inside out when it's spring
Kate
I love all the Moomin books, but this one especially. It's a small existentialist masterpiece. Who but Tove Jansson can blend menace and whimsy in such a winning way? I'm plotting an omnibus review of the whole series when I've finished rereading them all (two more books to go after this one).
Emma Sea
Found my childhood copy of this while cleaning out an old box last night, and to my delight I enjoyed it just as much as a grown up. My favourite of all the moomin books, because of the haunting quietness. On my must-read list for all children.
Saretta
Della serie sui Mumin questo per me è decisamente il migliore; i Mumin, se non lo sapete, sono deliziosi troll simili a ippopotami, per nulla spaventosi ma gentili e dotati di una pelle vellutata.
In questo libro il troll Mumin si ritrova a svegliarsi nel bel mezzo del letargo senza riuscire più a riaddormentarsi.
Andrà quindi alla scoperta dell'unica stagione che non conosce, l'inverno, e delle strane e schive creature che lo popolano.
Mentre la piccola Mi, anche lei sveglia dal letargo, riesce a
Kim
"'It's dead. All the world has died while I slept. This world belongs to somebody else whom I don't know. Perhaps the Groke. It isn't made for Moomins.'"

Every year the Moomins sleep from November to April, snug inside and safe from the winter cold. But one year little Moomintroll, alone of his whole family, wakes up just after New Year's, finding himself in a world that is unfamiliar and lonely. The sun is hiding, the ground is covered with snow, and try as he might he can't wake up his mother t
Paula
I watched ‘The Moomins’ after school back in the day, when I watched it, it was live action models (if that is the correct wording) but recently I saw the cartoon and it was not the same.

‘Moominland Midwinter’ is the first Moomin book I have read, following from years of recommendations from my good friend, I decided to find out more about those little moomins.

I enjoyed ‘Moominland Midwinter’, I liked how the main character, Moomintroll woke up from hibernation early and everything was differen
Hannah
Despite the spring-like temperatures in January in Athens, this book transported me to a wintery wonderland where it is dark all winter long and one can see the Aurora Borealis. The Moomins usually spend their winter hibernating, but Moomintroll (the main character of the Moomin series) wakes up and can't go back to sleep, so he spends his first winter exploring and making new friends while also longing to share the experience with his slumbering family. The illustrations are just as whimsical a ...more
Andrea
Magical, haunting, witty, writing of such subtle depth and beauty - how glorious is this book! The characters almost spring forth from the pages into one's heart, and the illustrations are perfect. If you have read this as a child, images from this story will stay with you for a lifetime. If you are an adult newly come to this treasure, you will still be able to appreciate its genius.

Looking back over the decades since I first came to own my precious boxed set, I think Tove's writing prepared me
NeDa
"Пролетта реши днес да не бъде поетична, а само палава. Изхвърли във въздуха купища чорлави малки облачета, смете последния сняг от покривите, очерта навред малки поточета и - общо взето - си играеше на април."
Greta
This has to be one of the strangest works of junior fiction I've ever read. It's a sort of French-film-meets-Bambi story. Strange characters, abrupt and disjointed conversations and plot twists and a sort of slow and meaningless meandering through time. Add to that the lurking feeling that all of this is much deeper than it appears and there must be a thick layer of symbolism and meaning that could be the subject of a Ph.D. thesis. Or not. Maybe it's just a wacky little story about some cute lit ...more
Катя
“To struggle against censorship, whatever its nature, and whatever the power under which it exists, is my duty as a writer, as are calls for freedom of the press. I am a passionate supporter of that freedom, and I consider that if any writer were to imagine that he could prove he didn't need that freedom, then he would be like a fish affirming in public that it didn't need water.”
― Mikhail Bulgakov

To protest GR's censorship of reviewers, I am replacing all of my reviews until either GRs change
Bookmaniac70
Муминското семейство не познава зимата,защото спи зимен сън до пролетта, но Муминтрол неочаквано се събужда по-рано от другите и попада в съвършено нов и чужд за него свят. Докато търси къде е изчезнало слънцето и се опитва да свикне с белотата и студа, той се запознава с много други свенливи и потайни същества,които се страхуват да излязат навън през останалото време от годината. Прекрасна книга, която по неподражаем начин предава чувствата при смяната на сезоните!
Jessica
More strange and existential than the others, this might be my favorite. The meditations on winter and the nature of the creatures that choose to dwell in the cold and dark were gorgeous. And though much of this was lost on my children, the 7YO seemed to appreciate the melancholy and loneliness of Moomintroll being the only one of his family awake, while the 3YO liked the little moments with Little My or the skiing hemulen.
Matt
Of all Tove Jansson's fabulous Moomin books this is the most wonderful. Hauntingly beautiful, it really evokes the magic and lonelyness of winter. It also features lots of Little My, the best character Jansson created, I love her so much we named our daughter Lilla (after Lilla Mu, Little My's name in the original Finnish/Swedish). This was read to me as I child and I have read it many times since.
Mänsomläser
Mumintrollet vaknar ur sin vintersömn och kan inte somna om. Ute är det snö och kallt. Det är som att världen, som Mumintrollet känner den, är borta.

Att somna om eller väcka någon annan i familjen går inte så Mumintrollet får helt enkelt fördriva tiden på egen hand. Ensam behöver han dock inte vara särskilt länge för det finns andra varelser som är vakna.

En sak som jag gillar med muminböckerna är att de i stor utsträckning är karaktärsdrivna. Trollvinter är det i allra högsta grad. Det händer in
Kathryn
This melancholic yet playful Nordic story is full of imaginatively-drawn characters who can fear loneliness, enjoy the obligations and joys of shared experience, and also feel the strong pull and rich pleasure of solitary experience, quietude, independence and making one's own fun.

Reading this book on what I hoped was last hot day of summer cooled me off and reminded me of things I'd forgotten I love so much about winter-- the secret, cozy nooks of a warm home where even stray dust balls can ta
Linda
Ah, klassikko. Jotenkin aina niin sopiva tähän kevään odotteluun pakkasen keskellä, kertakaikkisen iloinen.
Bill Keefe
Jansson would have made some insightful comment about how, just after having finished "The Summer Book," a book which had snuck up on me from an obscure reading list or tear-out from the New Yorker, I stumbled across "Moominland Midwinter" in a box of yard sale junk idling in a corner of the basement. I wasn't even looking for a book: I was looking for work goggles. And the book wasn't facing up, saying, "Surprise, one of Tove Jannson's famous works for you to look at and compare with, "the Summ ...more
annik
«Зима! — думал Муми-тролль. — Ведь ее тоже можно полюбить!»

Из трех повестей о мумиках, которые мне довелось читать, эта – самая взрослая и трогательная одновременно. Во время зимней спячки Муми-Тролль просыпается раньше времени, тогда как вся его семья спит и грезит о лете. Он остается совсем один, и пускай вокруг него будет куча народу, в гостях или проездом, он увидит северное сияние, а снег окажется удивительно загадочным, – все равно он будет бесконечно одинок. И даже купальня перестала быть
Andrew
Moominland Midwinter is one of the series of books by the author that serve to introduce the reader to a magical land of Nordic characters. Moominland Midwinter can be read as a stand alone book; however, it would have benefited the reader to have knowledge of the other books in the series, just to get an understanding of the traits and personalities of the Moomins and the world that they inhabit. The second in the series, the Finn Family Moomintroll, would be an excellent introduction into this ...more
Michelle
Read For: School (*sigh*)

So, as you can see above, I read this little novel for school (for my Theory and Criticism class, for anyone's who's interested). I've never heard of Tove Jansson before, but I've discovered since reading this, that Moomins are actually HUGE in Finland and pretty much all of Europe, and even Japan, where an animated series aired for many years. Across the pond, this is a quintessential children's series, and this novel in particular (which is the fifth in the series) was
Sanni
Muumit ovat olentoja, jotka nukkuvat talviunta. Mutta mitä tapahtuukaan, kun Muumipeikko herää keskellä talvea eikä saa enää unta? Tästä asetelmasta lähtee liikkeelle Tove Janssonin Taikatalvi. Kuinka Muumipeikko selviää pitkästä ja pelottavasta talvesta ilman äitiään?

Taikatalvi on ihana tarina siitä, kuinka kaikki uusi ja vieras usein aluksi pelottaa. Ajan kanssa kuitenkin, kun tähän uuteen ja vieraaseen tutustuu, siitä voi oppia pitämään.

Talven aikana Muumipeikko tutustuu moniin uusiin hahmoih
It wasn't at all consciously deliberate, but it was so entirely perfect reading this book to Jefferson in January, just when Michigan gave up holding out on winter and started with the snow and cold like a proper winter. Moomintroll, you see, is supposed to hibernate through winter, but this time he wakes up and cannot go back to sleep. And poor Moomintroll is so shocked and distrustful of this winter which has transformed his familiar world into something entirely alien.

Moomintroll is a wonderf
Gijs Grob
Onze jonge held Moomintroll ontwaakt midden in zijn winterslaap en maakt zo als enige Moomin (de rest ligt nog in diepe coma) het hem onbekende winterleven mee. Eerst is dit nog eng, donker en koud, maar hij leert nieuwe vrienden kennen, die hem de geneugten van de winter laten zien (o.a. de einzelgänger Too-Ticky en de al te aanwezige, overenthousiaste Hemulen) en langzaam leert hij de winter waarderen.

In dit deel woont Moomin onmiskenbaar in een Noorderlijk land. In de eerste dagen komt de zon
Thermalsatsuma
'It's dead. All the world has died while I slept. This world belongs to somebody else whom I don't know. Perhaps to the Groke. It isn't made for Moomins.

The Moomin family traditionally hibernate through the entire winter, safe and snug in their Moomin House. One year, Moomintroll wakes up early and finds himself on his own, unable to wake anybody else up, not even his Mama. Outside the house the world is cold and white, with no sign of the sun or the comforting warmth of Spring.

Gradually he dis
  • Missä kuljimme kerran
  • Pettersson kriegt Weihnachtsbesuch
  • Mielensäpahoittaja
  • Tainaron: Mail from Another City
  • Sinun lapsesi eivät ole sinun
  • Totta
  • Stalinin lehmät
Tove Jansson was born and died in Helsinki, Finland. As a Finnish citizen whose mother tongue was Swedish, she was part of the Swedish-speaking Finns minority. Thus, all her books were originally written in Swedish.

Although known first and foremost as an author, Tove Jansson considered her careers as author and painter to be of equal importance.

Tove Jansson wrote and illustrated her first Moomin
More about Tove Jansson...
Finn Family Moomintroll (The Moomins, #3) The Summer Book Moominsummer Madness (The Moomins, #5) Comet in Moominland (The Moomins, #2) The Moomins and the Great Flood (The Moomins, #1)

“All things are so very uncertain, and that's exactly what makes me feel reassured.” 47 likes
“There are such a lot of things that have no place in summer and autumn and spring. Everything that’s a little shy and a little rum. Some kinds of night animals and people that don’t fit in with others and that nobody really believes in. They keep out of the way all the year. And then when everything’s quiet and white and the nights are long and most people are asleep—then they appear.” 29 likes