Start by marking “The Seagull Reader: Stories” as Want to Read:
The Seagull Reader: Stories

The Seagull Reader: Stories

Each volume offers an inviting mix of classics and less familiar pieces, complemented by concise genre introductions, short headnotes and annotations, brief author biographies, and a glossary of terms.
The Readers also include access to innovative writing tips, study and review material, and much more at LitWeb and Norton Literature Online.

Paperback, Second Edition, 552 pages
Published December 17th 2007 by W. W. Norton & Company (first published October 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Seagull Reader, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Seagull Reader

Jenifer
It was alright for what it is. Didn't find many short stories I enjoyed. Was mainly reading it for class purposes.
Nicole
Feb 22, 2017 Nicole rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read this for my Literature class and as far an anthologies go this one was great. It holds a lot of short stories that I will definitely come back to read time and time again.
Frederick
I have had a number of customers request one or another SEAGULL READER. Finally, I noticed that the store was returning THE SEAGULL READER: STORIES. Thinking this was a shame, I decided to buy one. I'm glad I did. It is what it says it is: An anthology "lightly supplemented by editorial apparatus."
These are pretty famous stories, but the introduction, biographical sketches and glossary are unique in that they are to-the-point, informative and, somehow, fresh. His introduction concludes with a li
Lauryn Titus
May 01, 2016 Lauryn Titus rated it really liked it
Crystal
Wow, what a mix of authors and stories! Of the 29, the best in my opinion, Stephen Crane's The Open Boat; Tillie Olsen's I Stand Here Ironing; Alice Walker's Everyday Use; and Updike's A&P. And the worst ... James Joyce's Araby and Chinua Achebe's Uncle Ben's Choice. More than some stories in this collection nearly made me ill - so violent, dark and too realistic! It is interesting to wonder what makes people tick, how they create such things. Especially Charlotte Perkins Gilman and her The ...more
leila yaye habi
Feb 07, 2017 leila yaye habi rated it it was amazing
Great book
Tiffiane
Jun 30, 2012 Tiffiane rated it liked it
Shelves: school-books
I had to read 25 short stories from this book for my LIT class. Most were amazing and some were totally confusing. It's different learning how to read something with an analytical mind, instead of just for enjoyment. I understand why my teacher chose this book, because the stories all provoke higher level thinking. You have to think outside the box to understand some of them. Of the stories I read, the 2 most profound for me were Cathedral and Hills Like White Elephants. I highly recommend them.
Larry
Jul 06, 2012 Larry rated it liked it
I recently compared a handful of textbooks winnowed down from a much larger list for an Intro to Fiction class. This one did make the final cut. Not bad, but like many collections of this sort too many 'iconic'/'canonic' stories and too few surprises.

Pluses are the clean design (easy on the eyes) and relatively affordable price.
Katy
Feb 22, 2015 Katy rated it really liked it
Classic, oft-anthologized stories which are good for upcoming fiction writers. Some of my favorites are "What You Pawn I Will Redeem," Sherman Alexie; "The Yellow Wallpaper," Charlotte Perkins Gilman; "Hills Like White Elephants," Ernest Hemingway; "Where Are You Going, Where Have You Been," Joyce Carol Oates; and "A&P," John Updike.
Kate
May 29, 2009 Kate rated it really liked it
This is a nice collection of short stories that isn't too large (like so many anthologies). It has a nice range of stories and authors, and also includes a short paragraph intro to each. It would be great for using in high school classrooms.
Morgan
Oct 16, 2012 Morgan rated it it was ok
Read most of the stories in this thing. I wasn't particularly impressed, honestly. I guess this just isn't the format style for me. A lot of the stories weren't that interesting to me 'Classics' maybe but really, had I not been assigned to read them I wouldn't have read them.
April
Sep 06, 2012 April rated it really liked it
Shelves: required-reading
This book was assigned for my comp class, and I've kept it. I like to take it off the shelf and peruse through it.
Noelle
Jan 06, 2015 Noelle rated it it was amazing
Great combination of short stories. A really handy tool for an English Major as most of these stories are often mentioned in other works.
Beverly
Apr 02, 2013 Beverly rated it really liked it
Ponderous and entertaining stories.
Maddy
Nov 05, 2009 Maddy rated it liked it
Shelves: 2009
Some were fabulous, some weren't, some were the 'necessary' classics.
Caritia Hughes
Caritia Hughes rated it liked it
May 14, 2014
Jamie Weaver
Jamie Weaver rated it really liked it
Nov 11, 2014
Michelle Monarrez
Michelle Monarrez rated it really liked it
Jul 08, 2015
Tohry Wayne
Tohry Wayne rated it really liked it
Mar 06, 2016
Steve
Steve rated it really liked it
Mar 19, 2013
Ben
Ben rated it liked it
Dec 02, 2016
Leah
Leah rated it it was amazing
Oct 24, 2013
Laura Vargas
Laura Vargas rated it did not like it
Sep 12, 2013
Alex Bingham
Alex Bingham rated it did not like it
Jul 31, 2016
Suzannah Grasel
Suzannah Grasel rated it it was amazing
Dec 25, 2013
Shane Olson
Shane Olson rated it it was amazing
Aug 22, 2014
Sydney
Sydney rated it really liked it
Sep 20, 2016
McMakin
McMakin rated it it was amazing
Jan 09, 2016
Erin
Erin rated it really liked it
Jul 20, 2014
Josh Søn Af Mørten
Josh Søn Af Mørten rated it it was amazing
Feb 15, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • The Norton Anthology of Short Fiction
  • American Short Story Masterpieces: A Rich Selection of Recent Fiction from America's Best Modern Writers
  • Women and Fiction: Short Stories By and About Women