Start by marking “To Save America: Stopping Obama's Secular-Socialist Machine” as Want to Read:
To Save America: Stopping Obama's Secular-Socialist Machine

To Save America: Stopping Obama's Secular-Socialist Machine

3.51 of 5 stars 3.51  ·  rating details  ·  162 ratings  ·  30 reviews
To Save America

The message of this extraordinary election [in November 2010] is clear enough: the American citizenry has rejected the secular dogma, socialist policies, and machine–driven politics that comprise the Obama agenda. Now, the question is whether President Obama and his Democratic Party will accept the will of the people and change the destructive course upon wh
Published January 3rd 2011 by Regnery Publishing (first published April 27th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about To Save America, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about To Save America

Devin Wallace
Newt Ginrich plainly shows he knows very little about anything, yet convinces millions that he does. I'm fine with opinions, but they must be based on fact. He confuses rhetoric with facts and because of this, millions of people are confused into thinking we are on the path to become the next USSR, complete with a mustachioed Stalin-esque leader. The book isn't well written, either, as the co-authors have a tendency to change writing styles abruptly, leaving incomplete or contradictory positions ...more
Brian
With Newt as a possible candidate for President in 2012, I'm interested in hearing what the architect of government surpluses during the Clinton administration has to say about the direction of our country.
Though no Politician is perfect, and the answer to our problems lie more in our hands then theirs, he's a bright guy who introduces in this book realistic things that can make lasting positive changes in our long term success.

The book was filled to the brim with ways to turn America around. F
Steve
In this 332 page follow-up to the former Speaker of the House’s “Contract with America,” Newt Gingrich spends the first nine chapters outlining what’s wrong with America in his view.

The next sixteen chapters, the bulk of this book catalogues Gingrich’s counter solutions to what he terms the current, secular-socialist, political machine governing America.

While Gingrich decries the out-of-control spending that has characterized the most recent Congressional legislative cycles, he’s not gun shy abo
Mark
You know, I just hate titles like this (I'm fine with the Save America part). I just don't like the name-calling: Secular-Socialist Machine. Can't we be civil? But then Newt makes his point very convincingly that that is just what it is! By far the best part of the book is the latter half where Gingrich, with a little help from some very bright friends, lays out very constructive solutions for our greatest national ills. I have long thought that Gingrich is one of the smartest (in a wholly pract ...more
Ray
I listened to the book as an audio book, and didn't benefit from the knowledge that many chapters were co-authored by others. The audio book version didn't make this clear, or I glazed over the mention of the fact as non-relevant and introductory information. I only found out about the co-authored sections when I started hearing inconsistencies in the solutions offered to the myriad of our Country's difficulties. And that is one of my criticisms of the book. I got the feeling that Mr. Gingrich w ...more
Elizabeth
Newt Gingrich for President - NOT.

The book was in depth and very informative. Many of the points were covered two or three times in different chapters making long but repetative.

Gingrich's opinions on GMO's, vaccinations, and nuclear energy are dangerous. Promoting any of these technololgies without further research and understanding is a deadly mistake. Since the writing of his book, Japan has suffered an unprecedented nuclear disaster, the vaccine industry has undergone so much scrutiny that
Kirt
Aug 14, 2010 Kirt rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: ANYONE who is worried about ANY of America's national problems
Shelves: current-events
Superb teacher, historian, politician, Gingrich stands out as one of the nation's most prolific conservative idea men. The first part of the book lays out the breadth and depth of our challenges and the forces that are behind them. That is the scary part. Can you say Gadianton? (Newt doesn't mention that name -- he calls it the "liberal socialist machine" -- but that machine does have a name. (It's a Mormon thing.)) The rest of the book bespeaks hope and change far different from that which has ...more
Nick
Apr 04, 2013 Nick rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people with a good sense of humor, people with no sense of humor
For fun, I read this and Religion Gone Bad: The Hidden Dangers of the Christian Right at the same time. Who knew both sides were hell-bent on destroying America? I certainly didn't!

To be honest, I read this as a kind of exercise, mentally debating Newt as I read. It was exhausting, but I remember him actually saying a few things that made a lot of sense. Those chapters almost seemed to have been written by another person, because 90% of this book is as ridiculous as you'd expect something writte
Don Weidinger
secular socialist machine, arrogance of success in 80’s, work ethic vs theft, soviet pretending to work, fraud is theft, tenure, productivity vs union rules, revolution of 1800 Jeffersonians, then Jacksonian beauracracy, then 1860 republicans on liberty, weed out corruption, moral philosophy foundation for capitalism, Jefferson-big government is inherently corrupt, absolute power corrupts absolutely, personal responsibility for health investment business vs who makes decisions-politics, local co ...more
Nick
Very long and thick, yet it made for a great audiobook while driving home for 15 hours this past weekend. I like Newt Gingrich's ideas and this book went further into the reasoning behind them. I found that I didn't agree with all of the ideas, but was at least interested in the background of the notions.
Jacob
If Newt Ginrich isn't running in 2012, he should. This book covers almost every topic that is being tossed around in today's America with smart, concise, and common sense ideas. I really didn't know much about Newt until recently, and after I took an interest in his possible bid for the presidential election, I wanted to learn more about him and his ideas. I promised myself to never vote for another presidential candidate without scrutinizing him/her, so I picked up this book. Even if he doesn't ...more
Stacy Mallory
I'm a little slow in reading this, and never was a Newt fan. That being said I appreciated all the research that was done for this book, from education, to global warming, to the constitution etc. If nothing else it made me think a ton of how differently things could have been done the last 6 years. I like that he didn't just call out democrats, but republicans that have also done some bonehead moves.
Norbert
The book probably deserves more than the three stars I gave it as it details many ways how our government could/should be fixed. From my perspective though there isn't much I can do to fix these problems. The book would be an excellent guide for Think Tanks, lobbyists or freedom groups that have some influence with the government.
Although it may appear that it is outdated since the 2012 election, it is not, as the ways suggested in the book are still valid.
More politicians should read it. Newt
Farsheed Ferdowsi
Newt is a rare politician. He is not afraid to tell the truth. He has a powerful mind that he puts to good use thinking of new ideas to "Save America." I don't agree with everything he says but I do agree with many of his ideas and am intrigued by his approach.

Only if we had more politicians work in the best interest of America and not their self-interest (read re-election) America would not be an empire in decline.

I recommend this book to all open minded citizens who care about America's future
Chris Csergei
This book was full of interesting and creative ideas. It was somewhat disjointed and I am left a little confused on what can be done to implement the ideas, or how someone else can move forward. I fear Newt Gingrich gets lost in his good ideas, and I am not sure that they all work together. He talks about overspending and on the other hand constantly talks about giving tax credits so many groups as incentives towards innovation. I think he has great ideas, and he gets really detailed, but I am n ...more
Robert T.  Garcia
Newt Gingrich is an amazing man of knowledge. To Save America is another well written and researched book in the arena of politics.
The details and research that this books is amazing well put together. This is another must read to the long list of excellent authors of politics topics.
Knowledge is power and power to know the difference is need at this time in our history and this book gives you some great insights what is needed to save our great nation.
Ryan Manganiello
This Book is packed with common sense ideas that would fix the major problems the United States of America is currently facing, and would put us on track to becoming a fully energy independent country. It also serves as an awesome reference guide for the upcoming elections, and for anyone seeking advice on how to become further involved in keeping the greatest country to ever exist alive and well Forever.
Mary
I think that every American should read this book. It's a clear and knowledg3able review of where we have come from as a country, where we are now and a place where we could go. So many democrates don't think the right has any kind of plan to get us out of the mess we're in,because that's what the media wants us to believe. This book clearly counters that with clear and intelligent ideas.
Jeffrey Mollerup
Who says the Republicans don't have any ideas and are just the party of no!? Newt and his organization, American Solutions, have many amazing common sense solutions to our country's problems that make a hell of lot more sense than the socialistic idiotic ideas of the current administration.
Naomi
I read this book almost a year ago..I can't remember why I gave it 4 stars and it shocks me that I did. To be honest, I am not a fan of Newt Gingrich, so I can't give the reader of this review a really honest reason for me rating except it is what struck me when I finished it in August of 2010.
Sonia
Just when I thought I had lost all respect for Newt, he writes this sensible, well-researched book that is full of some really great ideas that would certainly help our country. It is well worth a read, even if you are not a Newt fan.
Donald
Very good. I agree with most of what he says (I have a disagreement with him about the "new" energy business). But, good straight-forward ways to get the country back to the founding fathers' principles.
Tricia
Corruption, lust for power, and sheer ruthlessness. That's what we have in Washington right now. This book has helped me to understand what is at risk, and how large the threat is.
Eric
Not much new in this one. I breezed through it quickly. I try to stay balanced by reading this and a summary of Pres. Obama's first year during the same month.
Darlene
Very informative book! I just wish more people took the time to know what the issues are, know what the canadiates stand for and vote their values.
Andy
Informative, straight-forward, hard-hitting, and a well-planned script for correcting some of the problems of this country. Really enjoyed this book.
Lance
Could not finish the book. He has a very one sided view of the world. How he got to be a canidate for President I will never understand.
Papajack
These are serious times; our future is at risk. Once again, we all hang together or we'll hang separately.
Leala
good ideas, good information, just a broad brush, but useful to learn from.A little repetitive.
Kevin Hammond
The title says it in a nutshell.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Crimes Against Liberty: An Indictment of President Barack Obama
  • This Is Herman Cain!: My Journey to the White House
  • Guilty: Liberal "Victims" and Their Assault on America
  • The Politically Incorrect Guide to the Constitution
  • The Case Against the Fed
  • See, I Told You So
  • No Apology: The Case for American Greatness
  • Righteous Indignation: Excuse Me While I Save the World!
  • The Real America: Messages from the Heart and Heartland
  • Day of Reckoning: How Hubris, Ideology, and Greed Are Tearing America Apart
  • Courting Disaster: How the CIA Kept America Safe and How Barack Obama Is Inviting the Next Attack
  • The Heritage Guide to the Constitution
  • Trickle Up Poverty: Stopping Obama's Attack on Our Borders, Economy, and Security
  • In Our Hands: A Plan to Replace the Welfare State
  • The Second Amendment:: Preserving the Inalienable Right of Individual Self-Protection
  • Where Keynes Went Wrong: And Why World Governments Keep Creating Inflation, Bubbles, and Busts
  • The Secret Knowledge: On the Dismantling of American Culture
  • Power to the People
Newton Leroy "Newt" Gingrich (born Newton Leroy McPherson) is an American politician who served as the Speaker of the United States House of Representatives from 1995 to 1999. In 1995, Time magazine selected him as the Person of the Year for his role in leading the Republican Revolution in the House, ending 40 years of the Democratic Party being in the majority. During his tenure as Speaker, he re ...more
More about Newt Gingrich...
Gettysburg (Gettysburg, #1) To Try Men's Souls (Revolutionary War, #1) Pearl Harbor: A Novel of December 8th (Pearl Harbor, #1) Grant Comes East (Gettysburg, #2) Never Call Retreat: Lee and Grant: The Final Victory (Gettysburg, #3)