Start by marking “Wisdom Of The Zen Masters: The Quest For Enlightenment (English Chinese)” as Want to Read:
Wisdom Of The Zen Masters: The Quest For Enlightenment (English Chinese)

Wisdom Of The Zen Masters: The Quest For Enlightenment (Traditional Chinese Culture Series)

4.41 of 5 stars 4.41  ·  rating details  ·  340 ratings  ·  41 reviews
The bestselling author of "Zen Speaks" offers a delightful, cartoon-illustrated romp through the history and wisdom of the Zen masters. Illustrations.
Published 1998 by Doubleday (first published May 1st 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Wisdom Of The Zen Masters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wisdom Of The Zen Masters

Adriani Zulivan
Buku Zen yang serius saja saya suka, apalagi yang komik begini. Sangat membantu memahami pemikiran Zen. Semakin banyak quote yang saya salin dari "petuah-petuah abadi" di buku ini.
Parva Rahmaty
این کتاب تاثیر زیادی روی من گذاشت.با وجود تصاویر طنزگونه اش حقیقتی که توی داستان هاش برات آشکار میکنه میتونه اشکت رو در بیاره.
Karl
Zen Speaks is another book that can easily be read when a person has a few minutes to spare. The book shares some powerful Zen proverbs/lessons in the form of a illustrated stories. Each story is introduced by a recurring character, the fellow depicted on the cover, and then the story itself uses actual Chinese historical figures to convey a message. The message is then summarized in a blurb so that anyone not understanding the message in story form can still grasp the underlying ideas.

As with
Sai Nandan Reddy
A MUST READ FOR ALL THOSE WHO THINK THAT,THEY NEED THINGS TO BE HAPPY.
Aaron
One of the few books which I read annually.
Tom
Part of a wonderful series on traditional Chinese philosophy, this book lucidly explains the basic concepts of Zen (aka Chan or Ch'an) Buddhism in the comic format by illustrating the traditional stories/koans (aka gong'an or kung-an). The drawings are simple, but the truths profound. I would give this four stars if it weren't for a number of errors in editing, such as putting the wrong speech in the wrong bubble (errors of translation, as the book was originally written in Chinese by a Taiwanes ...more
Mike
Sep 13, 2007 Mike rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People looking to shift their perspective a little.
A great primer to Buddhism, and a genuinely enlightening book. The parables used here are well chosen and beautifully illustrated. One in particular always stuck out in my mind: A monk's meditation is consistenly disturbed by a great spider that descends as he tries to focus. When he tells his master, the master tells him "keep a paintbrush beside you, and when it descends, paint a circle on its stomach." He does so, and when his meditations end, he discovers the circle on his own stomach.
Tasnima
I used to love this book...and I do still like it...it is just on this (probably 6th or 7th re-reading, I feel like it is very male-centric (the nuns who do appear are just apparatuses to illustrate points, nothing more) and some of the oh-so-beautiful/deep questions are really little language traps...maybe I am just more cynical. I would still recommend this book.
Patrick
"Understanding the truth and discovering the self depend entirely on oneself. People are always 'seeking a mule while riding a mule.' The further they go from home, the more confused they become." "If a 7-year-old surpasses me, I learn from him. If a 100-year-old man is less than me, I teach him." How do we live without such knowledge?
dario
Menudo propósito el del libro: en plan historieta, explicar de que va el Zen.
Ya en la introducción nos alerta que ripios, estrategias, certezas podremos ver a futuro.

El libro transpira Zen en pocos cuadritos.

Y sale airoso.

De fácil lectura.

Pero tiene efecto colaterales.

Because, suddenly all becomes... zen!
Luca
Interessante escursus nel mondo dello zen, con un tratto chiaro e semplice tenta di portare il lettore all' "illuminazione". In ausilio al percorso una didascalica vignetta chiude ciascun "episodio", esplicando il senso originale degli aneddoti originali. Una lettura simpatica, tra il serio, il poetico e il faceto.
Alex
Sep 07, 2007 Alex rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: The Spiritual and Non
Stock full of amazingly clear anecdotes on the the nature of Zen and the Tao. This comic-nonfiction hybrid vividly illustrates stories from famous Zen Buddhist texts, then clarifies the point for the reader's contemplation. I could re-read this book ten times and find something new for myself each time.
Ayrinne
Tra la prima (***) e la seconda lettura (*****) devo averlo introiettato, o semplicemente andando per la mia strada ho scelto bene agli incroci, avvicinandomi a ciò a cui dovevo avvicinarmi per apprezzarlo.

Tornando al fumetto, non è assolutamente facile parlare di zen, figuriamoci disegnarne.
Juno
A fun book! It takes topics that would be (in my opinion) boring to most people and incorporates a cute style of drawing (reminded me of funnies you see in the paper) to convey what really are important life lessons.
I'd recommend this book to anyone with an open mind.
Adriana Fogaça
Zen Em Quadrinhos
Tsai Chih Chung

Muito Louco!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Este livro foi a melhor coisa que li em anos, os quadrinhos são demais, mesmo tendo um assunto tão ZEN, o budismo.

Chorei de ri do começo ao fim.

É maravilhoso, recomendo.
Jayaram
Anybody who is on THE PATH should read this book..and find out the divine path is for people with a totally non-serious mind...I am interested to discuss this book endlessly and anybody who is interested can contact me and video-chat.
Steven
It has popular zen stories displayed in a clever comic book form that will bring you ever closer to your own being, sometimes laughing, sometimes crying but always endearing. Frankly the very best book you can ever read.
Demiurghi
Ogni pagina una pillola di saggezza Zen...

Per la lettura della recensione completa dei Demiurghi, seguite il link: BIBLIOTECA: Dice lo Zen
Roberta
Filosofia a fumetti: davvero ben fatta. In non più di due pagine per storia c'è spazio per il sorriso e una riflessione. Una lettura apparentemente leggera per chi vuole passare il tempo in maniera intelligente.
Sharif
This is a comic book. But if you read this (comic book), you will sound so incredibly well-informed about Buddhism that your Prius-driving friends will only be able to gnash their under-used canine teeth in envy.
Charles
Brilliant!! Famous, funny, charming, insightful, profound, short, challenging Zen stories that have been illustrated and translated so that anyone and everyone can enjoy them. This is an amazing book.
Patrick
Every page in this tome is packed with knowledge, " Any time and any place are always the best time and the best place. All you have to do is experience things with an attentive mind."
James
Sep 19, 2007 James rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everybody
A truly beautifully rendered series of stories illustrating Zen philosophy-- done in comic strip format. Simple, philosophical, fun, engaging, admirable, and for me, essential.
Robert
Wonderful comic-strip versions of familiar Zen koans and stories. This book fell into my hands at a rough time in my life and reopened a long forgotten area of interest.
David
Koans in comic form. Not to be taken too seriously, but fun and interesting. Part of me believes everything is better in the form of a comic.
Floydsalerno
One of my favourite run away from the world for a minute books. Zen quotes done as comic strips... ahhhhhhhhhhhh
Where's my cup o tea?
Pasquale
Originale trasposizione delle storie zen tramite fumetti. Affascinante ed istruttivo. A tratti induce autoriflessione profonda.
Marcus Aurelius
I misplaced this book a few years ago. Excellent combination of illustrated stories and Zen concepts. I need to get another copy.
  • Essays in Zen Buddhism, First Series
  • Essential Zen
  • Zen Lessons: The Art of Leadership
  • The Empty Mirror: Experiences in a Japanese Zen Monastery
  • On Having No Head: Zen and the Rediscovery of the Obvious
  • The Unfettered Mind: Writings of the Zen Master to the Sword Master
  • Interbeing: Fourteen Guidelines for Engaged Buddhism
  • Essential Tibetan Buddhism
  • I quattro pilastri della saggezza
  • Everyday Tao: Living with Balance and Harmony
  • Out of Your Mind
  • Action Philosophers!: the lives and thoughts of history's A-list brain trust
  • The Holy Teaching of Vimalakirti: A Mahayana Scripture
  • Moon In a Dewdrop: Writings of Zen Master Dogen
  • The World's Wisdom: Sacred Texts of the World's Religions
  • Calculus for Dummies
  • A Still Forest Pool: The Insight Meditation of Achaan Chah
  • Toward a Psychology of Awakening: Buddhism, Psychotherapy, and the Path of Personal and Spiritual Transformation

Traditional Chinese Culture Series (1 - 10 of 19 books)
  • Sunzi Speaks: The Art of War
  • The Tao Speaks: Lao-Tzu's Whispers of Wisdom
  • Laozi Shuo 2: Zhi Zhe De Di Yu = The Dao Speaks Ii:  More Whispers Of Wisdom
  • Zhuangzi Speaks I: The Music Of Nature (English Chinese)
  • Zhuangzi Shuo 2: Zi Ran De Xiao Sheng = Zhuang Zi Speaks Ii:  More Music Of Nature
  • Confucius Speaks: Words to Live by
  • Han Feizi Speaks
  • Mengzi Shuo: Luan Shi De Zhe Si = Mencius Speaks:  The Cure For Chaos
  • Shi Ji: Li Shi De Chang Cheng = History Speaks:  The Four Princes Of The Warring States
  • Cai Gen Tan: Ren Sheng De Zi Wei