Start by marking “Wisdom Of The Zen Masters: The Quest For Enlightenment (English Chinese)” as Want to Read:
Wisdom Of The Zen Masters: The Quest For Enlightenment (English Chinese)

Wisdom Of The Zen Masters: The Quest For Enlightenment (Traditional Chinese Culture Series)

4.41  ·  Rating Details  ·  385 Ratings  ·  43 Reviews
The bestselling author of "Zen Speaks" offers a delightful, cartoon-illustrated romp through the history and wisdom of the Zen masters. Illustrations.
Published 1998 by Doubleday (first published May 1st 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Wisdom Of The Zen Masters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wisdom Of The Zen Masters

Adriani Zulivan
Jan 06, 2013 Adriani Zulivan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Buku Zen yang serius saja saya suka, apalagi yang komik begini. Sangat membantu memahami pemikiran Zen. Semakin banyak quote yang saya salin dari "petuah-petuah abadi" di buku ini.
Parva Rahmaty
May 25, 2015 Parva Rahmaty rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
این کتاب تاثیر زیادی روی من گذاشت.با وجود تصاویر طنزگونه اش حقیقتی که توی داستان هاش برات آشکار میکنه میتونه اشکت رو در بیاره.
Valissa
Aug 29, 2014 Valissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thanks to William
Karl
Sep 15, 2013 Karl rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Zen Speaks is another book that can easily be read when a person has a few minutes to spare. The book shares some powerful Zen proverbs/lessons in the form of a illustrated stories. Each story is introduced by a recurring character, the fellow depicted on the cover, and then the story itself uses actual Chinese historical figures to convey a message. The message is then summarized in a blurb so that anyone not understanding the message in story form can still grasp the underlying ideas.

As with
Adriana Fogaça
Nov 22, 2015 Adriana Fogaça rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Zen Em Quadrinhos - Tsai Chih Chung
Título original: Zen Speaks
Título: Zen Em Quadrinhos
Adaptação e ilustrações: Tsai Chih Chung
Tradução: Clara Fernandes
Editora: Ediouro
Ano: 1996
Comprar: Infelizmente só nos sebos.

Resenha:

Acreditando ou não na filosofia zen budista, este livro é um achado. Pois é uma adaptação de vários clássico zen budista. Os desenhos do cartunista Tsai Chih Chung são de fácil compreensão.

A mensagem é bastante clara e divertida. Ao todo, há mais de cem histórias zen, qu
Simone
Dec 26, 2015 Simone rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: completed, oriente, zen
La sinteticità delle storielle zen si presta molto al fumetto. Qui le illustrazioni sono molto belle e le storie ben presentate. Il libro à da leggere e per chi si avvicina per la prima volta a queste cose à un modo leggero ma molto denso di sognificato per approcciare la tradizione zen. Trasuda zen.
Soma Hargitai
Jul 15, 2016 Soma Hargitai rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great comics about zen with a short, very good overview in the beginning about the history of buddhism.
Sai Nandan Reddy
A MUST READ FOR ALL THOSE WHO THINK THAT,THEY NEED THINGS TO BE HAPPY.
Aaron
Nov 06, 2014 Aaron rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the few books which I read annually.
Tom
Part of a wonderful series on traditional Chinese philosophy, this book lucidly explains the basic concepts of Zen (aka Chan or Ch'an) Buddhism in the comic format by illustrating the traditional stories/koans (aka gong'an or kung-an). The drawings are simple, but the truths profound. I would give this four stars if it weren't for a number of errors in editing, such as putting the wrong speech in the wrong bubble (errors of translation, as the book was originally written in Chinese by a Taiwanes ...more
Mike
Sep 13, 2007 Mike rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People looking to shift their perspective a little.
A great primer to Buddhism, and a genuinely enlightening book. The parables used here are well chosen and beautifully illustrated. One in particular always stuck out in my mind: A monk's meditation is consistenly disturbed by a great spider that descends as he tries to focus. When he tells his master, the master tells him "keep a paintbrush beside you, and when it descends, paint a circle on its stomach." He does so, and when his meditations end, he discovers the circle on his own stomach.
Tasnima
Sep 29, 2008 Tasnima rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I used to love this book...and I do still like it...it is just on this (probably 6th or 7th re-reading, I feel like it is very male-centric (the nuns who do appear are just apparatuses to illustrate points, nothing more) and some of the oh-so-beautiful/deep questions are really little language traps...maybe I am just more cynical. I would still recommend this book.
Patrick
Jul 05, 2008 Patrick rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Understanding the truth and discovering the self depend entirely on oneself. People are always 'seeking a mule while riding a mule.' The further they go from home, the more confused they become." "If a 7-year-old surpasses me, I learn from him. If a 100-year-old man is less than me, I teach him." How do we live without such knowledge?
dario
Sep 14, 2011 dario rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Menudo propósito el del libro: en plan historieta, explicar de que va el Zen.
Ya en la introducción nos alerta que ripios, estrategias, certezas podremos ver a futuro.

El libro transpira Zen en pocos cuadritos.

Y sale airoso.

De fácil lectura.

Pero tiene efecto colaterales.

Because, suddenly all becomes... zen!
Luca
May 08, 2013 Luca rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interessante escursus nel mondo dello zen, con un tratto chiaro e semplice tenta di portare il lettore all' "illuminazione". In ausilio al percorso una didascalica vignetta chiude ciascun "episodio", esplicando il senso originale degli aneddoti originali. Una lettura simpatica, tra il serio, il poetico e il faceto.
Alex
Sep 07, 2007 Alex rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: The Spiritual and Non
Stock full of amazingly clear anecdotes on the the nature of Zen and the Tao. This comic-nonfiction hybrid vividly illustrates stories from famous Zen Buddhist texts, then clarifies the point for the reader's contemplation. I could re-read this book ten times and find something new for myself each time.
Ayrinne
Jul 10, 2012 Ayrinne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tra la prima (***) e la seconda lettura (*****) devo averlo introiettato, o semplicemente andando per la mia strada ho scelto bene agli incroci, avvicinandomi a ciò a cui dovevo avvicinarmi per apprezzarlo.

Tornando al fumetto, non è assolutamente facile parlare di zen, figuriamoci disegnarne.
Juno
Apr 14, 2008 Juno rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun book! It takes topics that would be (in my opinion) boring to most people and incorporates a cute style of drawing (reminded me of funnies you see in the paper) to convey what really are important life lessons.
I'd recommend this book to anyone with an open mind.
Jayaram
May 21, 2010 Jayaram rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Anybody who is on THE PATH should read this book..and find out the divine path is for people with a totally non-serious mind...I am interested to discuss this book endlessly and anybody who is interested can contact me and video-chat.
Steven
Oct 27, 2014 Steven rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religion
It has popular zen stories displayed in a clever comic book form that will bring you ever closer to your own being, sometimes laughing, sometimes crying but always endearing. Frankly the very best book you can ever read.
Demiurghi
Apr 13, 2013 Demiurghi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ogni pagina una pillola di saggezza Zen...

Per la lettura della recensione completa dei Demiurghi, seguite il link: BIBLIOTECA: Dice lo Zen
Roberta
Mar 29, 2012 Roberta rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: asia-orientale
Filosofia a fumetti: davvero ben fatta. In non più di due pagine per storia c'è spazio per il sorriso e una riflessione. Una lettura apparentemente leggera per chi vuole passare il tempo in maniera intelligente.
Sharif
Jan 29, 2008 Sharif rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a comic book. But if you read this (comic book), you will sound so incredibly well-informed about Buddhism that your Prius-driving friends will only be able to gnash their under-used canine teeth in envy.
Charles
Apr 22, 2007 Charles rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, zen, comics, asian
Brilliant!! Famous, funny, charming, insightful, profound, short, challenging Zen stories that have been illustrated and translated so that anyone and everyone can enjoy them. This is an amazing book.
Patrick
Jul 05, 2008 Patrick rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Every page in this tome is packed with knowledge, " Any time and any place are always the best time and the best place. All you have to do is experience things with an attentive mind."
James
Sep 19, 2007 James rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everybody
A truly beautifully rendered series of stories illustrating Zen philosophy-- done in comic strip format. Simple, philosophical, fun, engaging, admirable, and for me, essential.
Robert
Sep 09, 2007 Robert rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful comic-strip versions of familiar Zen koans and stories. This book fell into my hands at a rough time in my life and reopened a long forgotten area of interest.
David
Nov 03, 2011 David rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Koans in comic form. Not to be taken too seriously, but fun and interesting. Part of me believes everything is better in the form of a comic.
Floydsalerno
Mar 22, 2008 Floydsalerno rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of my favourite run away from the world for a minute books. Zen quotes done as comic strips... ahhhhhhhhhhhh
Where's my cup o tea?
  • Mahayana Buddhism: The Doctrinal Foundations
  • Essential Tibetan Buddhism
  • Everyday Tao: Living with Balance and Harmony
  • Interbeing: Fourteen Guidelines for Engaged Buddhism
  • Our Religions: The Seven World Religions Introduced by Preeminent Scholars from Each Tradition
  • I quattro pilastri della saggezza
  • The Unfettered Mind: Writings of the Zen Master to the Sword Master
  • The Crystal and the Way of Light: Sutra, Tantra, and Dzogchen
  • Dar: A Super Girly Top Secret Comic Diary, Volume Two (Dar!, #2)
  • Forgotten Truth: The Common Vision of the World's Religions
  • The Philosophies of Asia: Edited Transcripts (Love of Wisdom)
  • The Magic of Conflict: Turning a Life of Work into a Work of Art
92017
Tsai Chih Chung (蔡志忠) is a world-renowned cartoonist and popularizer of Chinese classics whose books have sold more than 40 millions copies worldwide. He first came to prominence through his award-winning animated movies and his immensely popular daily comic strips. When he turned his hand to the classics after a prolonged period of self-education, they were acclaimed by critics and shot to the to ...more
More about Tsai Chih Chung...

Traditional Chinese Culture Series (1 - 10 of 19 books)
  • Sunzi Speaks: The Art of War
  • The Tao Speaks: Lao-Tzu's Whispers of Wisdom
  • Laozi Shuo 2: Zhi Zhe De Di Yu = The Dao Speaks Ii:  More Whispers Of Wisdom
  • Zhuangzi Speaks I: The Music Of Nature (English Chinese)
  • Zhuangzi Shuo 2: Zi Ran De Xiao Sheng = Zhuang Zi Speaks Ii:  More Music Of Nature
  • Confucius Speaks: Words to Live by
  • Han Feizi Speaks
  • Mengzi Shuo: Luan Shi De Zhe Si = Mencius Speaks:  The Cure For Chaos
  • Shi Ji: Li Shi De Chang Cheng = History Speaks:  The Four Princes Of The Warring States
  • Cai Gen Tan: Ren Sheng De Zi Wei