Start by marking “Fit Bodies, Fat Minds: Why Evangelicals Don't Think and What to Do about It” as Want to Read:
Fit Bodies, Fat Minds: Why Evangelicals Don't Think and What to Do about It

Fit Bodies, Fat Minds: Why Evangelicals Don't Think and What to Do about It

3.94  ·  Rating Details  ·  210 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
Os Guinness traces the retreat of the evangelical mind and the dumbing down of evangelicalism through popular culture. But this book goes beyond mere analysis. It is a strong call for reformation of yet another place where evangelicalism in not evangelical enough.
Published August 1st 1994 by Baker Books (first published July 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Fit Bodies, Fat Minds, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fit Bodies, Fat Minds

Josh Meares
Jan 26, 2011 Josh Meares rated it really liked it
The more I think about this the madder I get. I hate the fact that I have been tricked (as well as the fact that I was too naive to see it for myself).

Has anybody ever wondered why television is free? We all know that nothing is free, right? And we know that the actors/actresses in these shows are paid large sums of money, don't we? Easy answer, then, advertisers pay for TV. So what? Now, let's think about that for a second. If advertisers pay for TV, then advertisers must determine what goes o
Jenny Karraker
Aug 16, 2012 Jenny Karraker rated it it was amazing

This short book was an easy read. Using alliteration to list why we don't think as deeply made it easier to remember (polarization, pietism, primitivism, populism, pluralism, pragmatism, philistinism, and premillennialism). Unfortunately, I see that I tend to be anti-intellectual and am more interested in personal experience and practicalities. However, too much emphasis here leads becoming an idiot culture. The author describes that as evidenced by people obsessed with entertainment (sounds li
Benjamin
Feb 05, 2016 Benjamin rated it it was ok
Brief overview of the philosophically movements that influenced Evangelicalism. While it is mostly pointing out the problem, I felt that the solutions to Evangelicalism anti-intellectualism presented could have been more developed. Of course part of the problem is how do you present intellectual arguments to an anti-intellectual?
Rick
Oct 21, 2015 Rick rated it really liked it
Guinness always has a lot of good things to say. This critique of Evangelical anti-intellectualism is no exception. However, the book was written in '94, so there have been further developments in Evangelicalism, some of them positive, particularly in the developing of a thoroughgoing Evangelical apologetic covering a wide range of fields. Nevertheless, Guinness's critique remains powerfully relevant and still deserves to be read. It turns out that patience is a virtue. There were some things I ...more
Gene
Mar 06, 2016 Gene rated it it was ok
I had previously been a fan of Os Guinness, especially as he was influenced by the thought of Francis Schaeffer. I was hoping this book would light a fire under me to oppose the anti-intellectual faction of Evangelical Christianity that is evident in the widespread Evangelical support for Donald Trump in America. This book was not able to do that for me.

At the outset Guinness seemed to grieve the loss of influence that Evangelicals have in the academic and political power centers in America, so
Ryan Boomershine
Jun 14, 2013 Ryan Boomershine rated it it was amazing
This should be a must-read for everyone in ministry. Whoa to those who ignore the command to love the Lord our God with all our minds. Especially helpful are the first 70 pages that outline the 8 primary ways we got to this point
Douglas Wilson
Mar 10, 2009 Douglas Wilson rated it really liked it
Quite good.
Dan Glover
Oct 26, 2010 Dan Glover rated it really liked it
I read this some years ago and its relevance has not dwindled in the mean time. Some might argue that our culture has a problem with our bodies being unfit as well and they have a legitimate point but overall, we are far more consumed with the image of fit bodies than we are about the state of our mental health. In this short book, Guinness calls the evangelical church, which continues largely to follow the lead of culture in the area of mental atrophy as in most things, to shape up our minds by ...more
Thomas Kidd
Mar 05, 2015 Thomas Kidd rated it really liked it
Good and unfortunately true.
Toby
Aug 29, 2012 Toby added it
Shows a little bit that it is dated both with its discusstion of current events and its assessment that there is no serious Christian thinking going on. I believe that there is. That granted, it make some good points about what forces in American culture are driving Christianity to "abandon its mind." Was motivating and interesting, but I found him rather brusque and sometimes lacking sophistication in his points. Very much worth the read![return]
Mitch
Dec 10, 2008 Mitch rated it it was amazing
This is another great read in the vein of Amusing Ourselves to Death and Brave New World, only with a Christian worldview. It is a great treatment of how intellectualism and critical thinking, especially in the church, have largely been replaced by consumerism and vanity. It's a damning critique of the modern church mindset and "Christian ghetto" mentality.
Gabriel Salter
A hard-hitting, effective, and still relevant critique on how American Evangelicals have let certain things slide, and how we need to pull ourselves back up.
Sheri
Jun 20, 2011 Sheri rated it really liked it
I would have gotten much more from this book if I hadn't read it in such short snippets, but it still provided powerful explanation of the anti-intellectual vein in Christianity (particularly evengelicalism) and the reasons to resist and to THINK.
Jon Sedlak
Dec 17, 2012 Jon Sedlak rated it it was amazing
This is a very good book. Definitely oversimplified, but very enjoyable nonetheless. The chapters on premillennialism, pragmatism, and pietism are worth the price of the book.
Michael J
Oct 16, 2013 Michael J rated it it was ok
Shelves: christian, nonfiction
it was hard to read the chapters with lots of big words that he didn't always take the time to define. otherwise very thought provoking.
David Campton
Aug 26, 2011 David Campton rated it really liked it
Shelves: general-theology
An attack on the anti-intellectualism of much modern evangelicalism. It is a little sneering at times, but it is frighteningly accurate...
Amy
Sep 08, 2009 Amy rated it really liked it
though the main title is a bit odd, the subtitle is (still) true. it's the probably the best book I was required to read while in seminary.
Stinger
Mar 19, 2013 Stinger rated it liked it
Great look at what has lead to the erosion of the Christian mind over the past few centuries in America
John Lowery
Oct 17, 2010 John Lowery rated it it was amazing
Anything written by the author is thought provoking and this is no exception.
Steel Lane
Jan 23, 2011 Steel Lane rated it liked it
Simple. Broad and simple. Still pretty good though.
Deanna Rinebolt
Oct 25, 2013 Deanna Rinebolt rated it it was amazing
very good book.
Jordan Brown
Jordan Brown marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2016
Neal
Neal marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2016
Jordan Rowland
Jordan Rowland is currently reading it
Jul 11, 2016
Michael
Michael is currently reading it
Jul 09, 2016
Jan
Jan marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2016
Hope
Hope marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2016
S
S marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2016
Trish
Trish marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2016
  • No Place for Truth: or Whatever Happened to Evangelical Theology?
  • Habits of the Mind
  • Becoming Conversant with the Emerging Church: Understanding a Movement and Its Implications
  • Eyes Wide Open: Looking for God in Popular Culture
  • The Joy of Fearing God
  • The Great Evangelical Disaster
  • Father Hunger: Why God Calls Men to Love and Lead Their Families
  • The Life and Times of Jesus the Messiah
  • Recovering Classic Evangelicalism: Applying the Wisdom and Vision of Carl F. H. Henry
  • Reason to Believe: A Response to Common Objections to Christianity
  • Did God Really Command Genocide?: Coming to Terms with the Justice of God
  • No Other God: A Response to Open Theism
Os Guinness (D.Phil., Oxford) is the author or editor of more than twenty-five books, including The American Hour, Time for Truth and The Case for Civility. A frequent speaker and prominent social critic, he was the founder of the Trinity Forum and has been a visiting fellow at the Brookings Institution and a guest scholar at the Woodrow Wilson Center for International Studies. He lives near Washi ...more
More about Os Guinness...