Start by marking “Heroes and Hounds” as Want to Read:
Heroes and Hounds

Heroes and Hounds

4.35  ·  Rating Details  ·  23 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
Carly is 11 years old and lives with her grandfather on a 200-acre Virginia farm while both parents serve in the military overseas. She loves the farm, and befriends all of the animals including a sneaky red fox that stalks her grandfather's prize chickens. Her best friend is her pony, Monroe, who shares her enthusiasm for adventure. Carly's constant dream is to ride with ...more
Published November 10th 2010 by Createspace

To ask other readers questions about Heroes and Hounds, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Heroes and Hounds

Jennifer Walker
Mar 22, 2012 Jennifer Walker rated it really liked it
Miller's story is engaging and full of adventure, with a few little life lessons thrown in for good measure--which I always appreciate in a children's book--kindness to animals and strangers, not rushing to judge based on appearances, helping those in need. It also touches on the plight of children of military families. As an editor, I would like to see the writing developed--some bits are rushed, and the omniscient point of view leaves out some opportunities to really get inside the characters' ...more
Sunday Smith
Sep 16, 2015 Sunday Smith rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Young readers; purple who enjoy children's stories
I consider Heroes and Hounds an outstanding book, easy to read, hard to put down. The book spins a tale about a young girl, Carly, who dreams of riding in the fox hunt. When a young hound goes missing, Carly, determined to find him, takes chances and makes a new, dangerous friend. When her best friend from school goes missing, Carly realizes the deadliness of her deceptions.

The animals' motives and experiences are a large part of the book and creates other interesting points of view. Building a
Lauren
Feb 13, 2011 Lauren rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone!
This was an amazing book I like how the fox was always keeping the lost hound out of trouble. I really liked the whole story they way the grandpa was and how Carly always wanted to be in the hunt. I am trying to write my own book about a wild mare who ventures into the wild after busting out of an abandoned barn. Bill this book was amazing and I loved your book I hope you write more soon!
Grace Krispy
May 27, 2011 Grace Krispy rated it really liked it
This is a delightful romp that is sure to please readers of all ages. The story is told through the points of view of two characters- Hampton (the lost hound) and Carly. In Carly, we find a realistic pre-teen who struggles to understand adults and to make the best choices she can. She's charming, and written in such a way that really endears the reader's heart. Younger readers, in particular, will identify with Carly's thoughts and feelings. Hampton is an enchanting dog, and the reader can "see" ...more
Wendy Hines
Feb 08, 2012 Wendy Hines rated it really liked it
While Carly's parents are finishing out their military tours, she stays with her grandfather on his farm. She loves watching the Riverdale Hunt Club in the fall and yearns to join them. Her own pony, Monroe, used to run with them before he became hers, but she is only eleven. So she dreams of riding Monroe chasing the fox.

Hampton is a new addition to the kennels and because one of the other hounds is injured, he gets to join in. He's reall excited but he's never ran so much and he is tired. When
Hywela
Feb 07, 2012 Hywela rated it really liked it
Heroes and Hounds is a wonderfully charming story about a young girl’s adventures with her pony and her friend as she seeks to fulfill her dream of riding “to the hounds” with the hunt.

Although the story is written for young audiences, it has multi-generational appeal as it touches on such issues as the plight of families with parents in military service and the welfare of veterans. Anyone who loves horses, dogs and other animals will enjoy this book.

The illustrations are beautiful and create a
Jaidis Shaw
Jan 31, 2012 Jaidis Shaw rated it it was amazing
It has been awhile since I have had the chance to read a book that is geared for younger readers. I loved reading books about horses growing up and I am so glad that I had the opportunity to read Heroes and Hounds by Bill Miller. The book opens by introducing us to Carly, a young girl who loves all animals and dreams of riding as part of the fox-hunting party. Living with her grandfather on his farm, she is able to watch the hunting party as they ride through her grandfather's farm on various Sa ...more
Laurie
Apr 13, 2012 Laurie rated it really liked it
My Rating: 3.5 Stars

I loved the easy, relaxed way in which this story is told. It took me back to the days when the pace of life didn’t seem as frantic as it often seems to be these days. Carly is a young girl with a huge heart and the best intentions. She is a normally obedient child who, we discover, has an inner core of steel and determination.

For me, Hammond steals the show. He’s an amazing dog who somehow changes the lives of everyone. Clever and loyal, Hammond is the lynchpin that ties thi
L_manning
Feb 04, 2012 L_manning rated it it was amazing
Carly loves to watch the hunt as it comes past. She dreams of getting to be a part of it one day, feeling the wind on her face as she and her faithful horse ride with the hounds. Young Hampton is one of those hounds, but he loses his way on a hunt. Hampton soon meet "Crazy" Willie, a man haunted by his wartime past. Carly, Hampton, and Willie will be undertaking an adventure none of them ever imagine, but it's something that will hold vast importance in their lives and others'.

This was a really
Julie Barrett
Mar 07, 2012 Julie Barrett rated it it was amazing

Hounds and Heroes by Bill Miller
The Hunt was allowed access to the farms every year. It was just the understanding that the farmers would move their animals to other pastures so the fox population would be kept under control.
Carly had begun to see a nightly fox to their farm at nightfall.
She hoped to ride with the Hunt one day.
She lived on the farm and her grandfather took care of her.
Charcoal drawings of what's going on appear in the book.
This is the story of a hound, Hampton that starts out le
Lindsay (Everyday Is An Adventure)
Feb 06, 2012 Lindsay (Everyday Is An Adventure) rated it really liked it
Shelves:
Well if this isn't a dynamite novel, I don't know what is! This is a story that I will keep so that my own kids can read it when they are older, it is one that I can see becoming a family tradition to read.

I loved so many things about this novel there is no way I could list them all - the characters, the setting, the morals taught, the compassion for animals, the endearing grandparents, etc. Any novel set in Virginia is going to peak my interest because that is my home state and I love it. A fa
Christine Meunier
May 01, 2015 Christine Meunier rated it really liked it
A great read for the younger reader; Heroes and Hounds focuses on the life of 11 year old Carly who lives on her grandfather's farm. A keen rider, Carly dreams of taking part in a hunt with her pony Monroe.

News of a missing hound from the hunt sets Carly and her friend Freddy on an adventure that has them meeting some interesting characters - human and animal!

Carly quickly learns that others' perceptions of a person aren't always right and that it's important to do the right thing and stand up f
Marsha
Feb 15, 2012 Marsha rated it really liked it
“Heroes and Hounds” by Bill Miller is an adventure novel for young girls. Eleven year old Carly lives with her grandfather, Grandpa Oakley, on a farm. As with any farm there are lots of animals and lots of things to do, one very important thing that needs to be done is find Hampton. Hampton, a hound dog on his first hunt, wandered away from the group of dogs and was unable to rejoin the group. Everyone began looking for Hampton including Carly.
This 162 page story is written for young girls who
Ryan
Jan 16, 2011 Ryan rated it liked it
I won this as a first read and enjoyed reading it. It was a good children's book and did keep me up late last night finishing it. I didn't love the main character and would like to have seen more narration from the hounds point of view. We see a lot of that early on but then at the midpoint the hound almost disappears as a story teller. I liked the grandfather and the setting and look forward to sharing the story with my son when he gets a bit older. I really liked the message of acceptance and ...more
Linda
Mar 25, 2011 Linda rated it liked it
This reminds me of the type of books I enjoyed as a young
girl who loved to read anything that involved animals!!
Will be passing it along to my granddaughter :)
Natalie
Natalie rated it it was amazing
Jun 01, 2016
SHERRY
SHERRY rated it really liked it
Mar 16, 2016
Alice Landwehr
Alice Landwehr rated it really liked it
Oct 21, 2015
Cinlar
Cinlar marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2014
Kim Hampton
Kim Hampton marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2014
Sheila
Sheila marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2013
cariedaway
cariedaway marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2013
Robert McNulty
Robert McNulty marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2013
Felicia
Felicia marked it as to-read
May 18, 2012
Alex Brown
Alex Brown marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2012
Linda
Linda marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2012