Start by marking “Dark Rising (Alex Hunter, #2)” as Want to Read:
Dark Rising (Alex Hunter, #2)

Dark Rising (Alex Hunter #2)

3.96  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,451 Ratings  ·  91 Reviews

When a massive amount of gamma radiation is detected somewhere beneath the desert of Iran, the world is on edge. Is it a nuclear weapon—or worse? Alex Hunter and his highly trained incursion team is on a mission to find out. When they arrive at the ruins of Persepolis, they find an underground facility but no lab, no weapons, no scientists—not even radiation. A black ho

Published August 2nd 2011 by St. Martin's Paperbacks (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Dark Rising, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dark Rising

The Last Adventure of Dr. Yngve Hogalum by D.L. MackenzieSpring-heeled Jack and the President's Ring by D.L. MackenzieEscape from Xanadu by D.L. MackenzieThe Annihilation of Foreverland by Tony BertauskiHigh Crimes and Miscreants by D.L. Mackenzie
Self-Published Science Fiction
337th out of 346 books — 452 voters
White Heaven Women by Jessie B. TysonWood, Talc and Mr. J by Chris   RoseUnthinkable Consequences by Bob RectorShadow Over Avalon by C.N. LesleyEden by Louise Wise
Wish It Was A Movie
380th out of 393 books — 337 voters

More lists with this book...

Oscar
Cuando un evento de radiación gamma es descubierto en Irán, Alex Hunter, nombre en clave Arcadia, junto a un escuadrón de HAWCs, lo más selecto de las fuerzas especiales, se unen a una agente y un científico israelíes para descubrir la causa y neutralizar la amenaza. No obstante, Alex tiene órdenes de conseguir esta nueva tecnología para Estados Unidos, e igualmente, la agente israelí ha recibido la orden de averiguar qué o quién es el Proyecto Arcadia. Pero lo que no saben es que los iraníes es ...more
Jason
Mar 20, 2015 Jason rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-books, read-2015
Neil
May 05, 2015 Neil rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The 2nd book in the Alex Hunter series, and it was just as high tempo as the 1st one. These Arcadian books seem to have a little bit of something for everyone. There is action, mixed in with the high tech and a bit of science fiction, alongside a hint of horror. Not really enough of any for it to be happily pigeon holed to a specific genre.
Initially the book was quite slow paced, but soon picked up the higher tempo. A radiation spike is detected out in the Iranian desert, but without the expecte
Ethan
Dec 22, 2011 Ethan rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
This ambitious novel draws from all of the genres that I love. The story begins as a kind scientific thriller, when a black hole is created in a secret lab in a Middle Eastern desert. The US calls on superhuman Alex Hunter, think Wolverine meets Indiana Jones, to lead a team of the nation's best military agents to assess and destroy this threatening technology. To complicate matters, Israel has sent two agents to assist the US on the mission, and to steal the secrets behind their mysterious Arca ...more
Dhuaine
Apr 23, 2016 Dhuaine rated it it was ok
Shelves: sci-fi, thriller
Couldn't enjoy this one that much due to too much scientific BS. Man-made black holes? I could buy just a little tiny black hole, but (view spoiler) ...more
Geoff
Nov 12, 2011 Geoff rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
I really liked this a lot. Great pace, memorable characters and solid research combined with a plot that was solid. Think Michael Crichton combined with Clive Cussler. The intelligent reader's Matthew Reilly.
Jordan Anderson
By my best estimation, it's been over 4 years since I last read any of Beck's work. So in reality, this book was a re-introduction to Greig Beck and his Alex Hunter series. I honestly have no idea why I let Beck slide into my rearview mirror since I do remember enjoying Beneath the Dark Ice and This Green Hell, but whatever the case may be, finding a cheap, used copy of Dark Rising was just the kick in the pants I needed to be reminded that Beck can write with the best of them.

Much like Rollins,
Mya
May 20, 2014 Mya rated it really liked it
I needed a high energy, commando-type, danger around every corner with a dash of sci-fi horror and militaristic weaponry in my life. "Dark Rising" delivered in abundance, I will have to say. I gobbled this book up over my morning and evening commute to work, heart racing as the larger than life hero went up against tremendous odds, obstacles and an extremely scary scientific event. The writing was fast paced and well done and this author isn't afraid to wipe out characters in tragic and sometime ...more
Andre Higgins
Sep 26, 2011 Andre Higgins rated it really liked it
A great second book of the Alex Hunter saga.
I didn't find it as good as the first only because it took so long for the action to start. I had to read up to nearly 40% of the book before it got moving. But then it got real interesting.
The Alex Hunter character is getting more and more intriguing, can't wait to see how he will evolve in the next book.
Austin
Feb 17, 2013 Austin rated it liked it
Shelves: action
I really liked the first one but was a little dissapointed by this one. I really wanted to give it four stars but I couldn't. The first half of the book was slow and boring and it dragged a lot. It was the second half of the book that was good. All the suspence and action that filled the first book came in the last 120 or so pages of this one.
11811 (Eleven)
Sep 03, 2013 11811 (Eleven) rated it really liked it
4+ stars on this one. A little cheesy at times but overall a fun novel. This is mostly an adventure novel but it does well on other elements such as the horror factor, which was tame but still unique, and the supernatural factor which was kind of a side premise. It reminded me of the movie Raiders of the Lost Ark - Action with substance.
Steven
Sep 06, 2015 Steven rated it liked it
Glen
May 23, 2015 Glen rated it it was amazing
Dark Rising is the first book I've read by this author. After reading the introduction, it sounded like the type of genre that I enjoy reading most. Deep Black Ops, non-stop action, and hard to believe scientific scenarios and possible outcomes that could actually have some validity to it. The novel did not disappoint. Each character in the story was well described, without losing any importance as the story progressed. The main character, Alex Hunter, is a medical and scientific miracle in his ...more
Jason Payne
Dec 22, 2014 Jason Payne rated it liked it
Alex Hunter, his team, and a couple of Israelis (one an astrophysicist, the other a Mossad agent) head to Iran to investigate what was either a nuclear accident or an artificially-created black hole. Naturally, Beck throws in a beastie-of-the-week, this time an extraterrestrial monstrosity--with a more than passing resemblance to a creature from Islamic folklore--with a voracious appetite and surly attitude. Oh yeah, and the President of Iran is a nutjob who dreams of the apocalypse.

Second in th
Wdmoor
I read the first two chapters and almost put the book down. I'd never read an Alex Hunter novel before and everything felt a bit too cliched. But then the author got revved up and it was like two different people wrote this book. Best of all, the book veered from a secret military incursion into Iran to take out a nuclear site into something wonderful and weird and lots of fun to read.

If you like the Breach books by Patrick Lee and the Jonathon Ledger series by Jonathon Maberry you'll like Dark
Stephen
Per Gunnar
This book is quite similar to the first book in this series. Sure, the story is different but otherwise the similarities are plentiful. A new mission for Alex, a new team of HAWC’s, a strong female character, plenty of action, some monstrous adversaries (both human and not so human). There are even a few caves thrown in as well.

Luckily it is not all the same. Although, on the surface, there is some strong resemblance with the first book it is not just a re-run with some minor changes. The core o
Will
Jun 09, 2013 Will rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Twisted thriller fans
Arcadian Tackles the Iranian Black Hole. In their rush to nuclear participation, the Iranians put together a project to create a transitional black hole in an attempt to harness cosmic energy in hopes of fossil fuel independence. Mahmoud the radical decides to step up the ante and bring on Armeggedon, and coaches his brilliant scientist Ahmad to ratchet up the experiments, which result in a sudden sharp release of gamma radiation equivalent to a sunspot. When the US sees this, they decide to sen ...more
Freda Pierce
Aug 24, 2015 Freda Pierce rated it really liked it
Guilty pleasure - love this action genre, completely unbelievable trash but I love it. This is the second Greig Beck book I have read. The premise is fairly silly - scientists try to harness the power of black holes, it backfires and Alex Hunter needs to save the world, losing a few comrades in gruesome ways along the way.
Pure entertainment, quick easy read, kept me turning the pages, lots of action. Recommend to anyone who likes Matthew Reilly books.
Camilla Almenfors
Jun 01, 2014 Camilla Almenfors rated it liked it
Kind of slow thru about half...but then it kind of blasts off. Again an action, adventure, thriller, perhaps a little horror. Loving the main character and always looking forward to the next book about him. Some of the charachters die, to my disappoinment, but that kind of added an extra thrill to continue reading. Not how ever my favorite among his books but still worth my time.
Mathew
Jan 03, 2015 Mathew rated it liked it
The kind of action story that you can imagine Arnie or Stallone making back in the eighties.
Moves quickly, doesn't really flesh out the characters but it doesn't need to.
Has a good blend of real world physics and political talk which help ground the story before it asks you to believe the leaps it takes.
Roger Dufresne
May 14, 2015 Roger Dufresne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a Great Read

Couldn't put it down. What action, it was almost too much. From one event to another, it kept on building and building.
I forgot how good the first Alex Hunter book was, but in my estimation I think it will be hard to match or beat this book.
WOW!
Darla Phillips
Oct 13, 2014 Darla Phillips rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I like this series more with each book.

I enjoyed the first book in this series but not enough to immediately rush to read the second. Boy was I wrong to wait. Alex's character just keeps getting better the more I get to know him. I can't wait to read the next one!
Bill Barnes
Jul 25, 2014 Bill Barnes rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent Read

Good story, Characters developed well. Only criticism is that the female element was a slight change from the first book. Great action series ad am looking forward to another Arcadian book.
Oma
Jun 13, 2014 Oma rated it liked it
Shelves: greig-beck
I liked this book. Lots of different subplots happening (maybe too sci-fi to be plausible) but it made it fast paced and interesting. I need to read the first book in Hunter series now to see how he became who he is.
Mark Bond
Aug 21, 2015 Mark Bond rated it really liked it
Another thrilling installment from Greig Beck. Alex Hunter is back and in the thick of it again! Another great story line and other cahracters to meet, this is just as good as the first book. Read it!
Matthew
Jul 22, 2014 Matthew rated it it was amazing
The second Alex Hunter entry lives up to expectations and more. Beck again captures the reader with an original take on military horror that scares and fascinates at the same time. A rollicking good read!
CK
Sep 18, 2015 CK rated it liked it
I like Greig Beck's writing style and will continue with this series. However, Beneath the Dark Ice was better. In general, this is tight 3rd person POV with decent editing, which, unfortunately is no longer a given in pulp genre fiction. He also writes the (spoiler) monster very well/ I just wish there was more of it.
Alikair
Jan 01, 2015 Alikair rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good book

This was my second reading.
I have read the Hunter series once before.
Not sure if I will read the next one again. Will see.

Joe Ganzi
Apr 02, 2015 Joe Ganzi rated it it was amazing
Absolutely fantastic book, Alex Hunter's character has developed nicely from the first book in the series. Definitely a page turner!
  • Threshold (Chess Team Adventure, #3)
  • Legend (Event Group Thriller #2)
  • The Vault (Tyler Locke, #2)
  • Black Sun (Hawker & Laidlaw, #2)
  • Ghost Country (Travis Chase, #2)
Hi GoodReaders, I’m an Australian author residing in Sydney with my wife, son and oversized black German Shepherd named Jess. My novels are now available globally, also in Large Print and now in full AUDIO format.

I grew up spending my days surfing at Bondi Beach before entering a career in Information technology which took me around the world. After completing an MBA, i was appointed both an Austr
More about Greig Beck...

Alex Hunter (6 books)
  • Beneath the Dark Ice (Alex Hunter, #1)
  • This Green Hell (Alex Hunter, #3)
  • Black Mountain (Alex Hunter, #4)
  • Gorgon (Alex Hunter, #5)
  • Kraken Rising (Alex Hunter, #6)

“Without sacrifice, there is no freedom. Without freedom, there is no life. God bless them who give their all for us.” From Dark Rising.” 3 likes
“It was a little like looking for a landmine in the dark by banging the ground with a hammer. Zach” 0 likes