Start by marking “Politically Correct Holiday Stories: For an Enlightened Yuletide Season” as Want to Read:
Politically Correct Holiday Stories: For an Enlightened Yuletide Season

Politically Correct Holiday Stories: For an Enlightened Yuletide Season

3.58  ·  Rating Details  ·  731 Ratings  ·  80 Reviews
Adulation abounds for James Finn Garner's best-selling 'Politically Correct Bedtime Stories' and 'Once Upon a More Enlightened Time' - and now a blizzard of praise is blowing in for 'Politically Correct Holiday Stories':

'This tiny volume disperses all incorrect ghosts - past, present and yet to come.'
- Diminutive (formerly known as "Tiny") Tim

'Now everyone can read the re
Published (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Politically Correct Holiday Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Politically Correct Holiday Stories

Melki
Dec 16, 2015 Melki rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One winter day, their frustrated caregiver sent them outside to play. A layer of fresh snow had fallen the previous night, the first of the season, and the world outside looked as heavily frosted as a matrimonial enslavement cake. As everything around them glistened, Bobby and Betty tried to agree on what games to play.
Should they make a snow fort? Too militaristic, said Betty.
How about snow angels? No, commented Bobby, they had been raised agnostic. Besides, such a public display of religious f
Gerry
Dec 17, 2015 Gerry rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I usually like to re-read 'A Christmas Carol' around Christmas each year. This time, instead of the Charles Dickens original (which I still might re-read), I have read James Finn Garner's politically correct version. The same message is presented but in quite a different way!

In this version Scrooge and Marley were business partners in 'a ruthless capitalistic operation that took advantage of people's caffeine addictions and exploited coffee farmers in developing nations'! Money was still Scrooge
M0rfeus
Jan 31, 2008 M0rfeus rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor, politics
Political Correctness has turned "the language of Kings James and Lear" (quote courtesy of Jay McInerney) into a hodgepodge of meaningless yet trendy words worthy of Orwell's 1984. This book satirizes the PC movement in regard to some of our traditional Christmas (pardon me, "Holiday") stories.

My personal favorite is the PC "A Christmas Carol". The immortal first line of the original - "Marley was dead: to begin with." Becomes "Marley was non-viable, to begin with".

Enjoy--but probably best to re
Jason
May 05, 2015 Jason rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Humor, satire, parody
Recommended to Jason by: Found it on mama's bookshelf
Shelves: christmas, 2014
Another difficult review to write. I'm going to try to do it without getting into my personal politics. I had so much running through my mind, but it doesn't belong here. (Not that I let that stop me usually, but I'm going to try this time). I don't play ball with political correctness myself, and occasionally earn the scowls of more cultivated "persuns." I also try not to go out of my way to offend anyone, but it does happen accidentally. There's a happy medium here.

Cosby Key to Failure photo CosbyKeytoFailure.jpg

Oh, come on. Just because h
Eric
Jun 06, 2008 Eric rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: farce
A perfect addition to your Christmas, er, non-denominational, unoffensive, non-specific late-year celebrations.
Elly White
Nov 16, 2014 Elly White rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This series of satirical and humorous in regards to political correctness is great to share with friends. Children family, I'm going to read it at Christmas this year!
Bryan Ma
Jun 10, 2016 Bryan Ma rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
You'll probably laugh once or twice, reach the end of the book, and then spend the next 15 minutes looking for where the rest of it is hiding.
Julia Brumfield
A collection of some well-known holiday stories that have been changed to be politically correct with word spellings, neutral phrases and a few explanations to explain why the politically correct want it that way. Furthermore the stories were changed to reflect how a story should progress or end with such material.

The writing was simple and easy to read although there were times when you were wanting to strangle the author and/or character for some long-breathed run-ons. And there are no pictu
Mary
Jul 17, 2015 Mary rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bookclub, non-fiction
Still finishing one or two stories, but basically done. I guess I just couldn't get past certain parts of satire. I could see the jokes in some of it, but other points offended me. Didn't really enjoy it because of that.
Meredith
Mar 22, 2010 Meredith rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh Frosty the persun of snow. Your demise was so tragic! Garner is pretty brilliant. I love, love, love, his politically correct stories. I shall certainly share them with my pre-adults if I ever get any.
Jaimie
Feb 20, 2016 Jaimie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Linda Lipko
Witty, funny and very humorous.
PurplyCookie
This volume consists of five stories: "'Twas the Night Before Solstice, Frosty the Persun of Snow, The Nutcracker, Rudolph the Nasally Empowered Reindeer," and "A Christmas Carol."

Although I am a true fan of Christmas, and love all of the original versions of these stories I couldn't have been happier about the jest poked in the direction of a society to absorbed in political corectness that it has forgotten the joy of a season. For an off-beat Christmas treat I urge you to pick up this book.

In
Alisha B
I first came across James Finn Garner’s schtick of running long-standing and beloved stories of western culture through the PC sanitizer in high school when I read his Politically Correct Bedtime Stories. What made that first book so funny was that it was original and pointed out the ridiculousness of the then small voice of the PC police. Oh, if only we knew then how that voice would grow and become the bully it is today!

In this holiday version of the original book, Garner revisits our favorite
Jakob
Dec 10, 2012 Jakob rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is James Garner's third book in which he modifies classic stories to make overly politically correct humorous versions. In his introduction, Garner says "I felt compelled once again to perform a public service in the name of right-thinking celebrants everywhere and revise the favorite seasonal tales for our more sensitive era." He is making fun of how ridiculous political correctness can be.
I think the theme of this book is not to be obsessive about including every group and not offending
Sharon Todd
Here Garner revises five Christmas favorites, The Night Before Solstice, Frosty the Persun of Snow, The Nutcracker, Rudolph, and Scrooge.
Scrooge was the most interesting partly because it had several parts. At the end, Scrooge does change, but not in the expected manner.

Personally, I didn't care for any of them because Garner changes the stories, not just the terminology, and tends to go nasty rather than nice.
Kelly
I enjoy all of the volumes of politically correct stories. This one sterilizes traditional Christmas tales so that no one will be offended. The satire is good, but in order to enjoy these stories, one must really know the original versions.
Mel Georgiou
A short, humorous (kinda forgettable) collection of PC holiday stories. It gave me some chuckles over the holiday break, but I can't recommend it because it is super cheesy.
Crazy Uncle Ryan
Well, this was pretty funny. I mean, it wasn't like rolling around on the floor clenching your side funny but it was nice to poke a bit of fun at political correctness. Sadly, we all know there are some people out there who really think like this and therefore wouldn't even realize that this book was meant as a joke. To such people I would like to say MERRY FREAKIN' CHRISTMAS. Not, happy holidays, not season's greetings but Merry Christmas and I would like to draw special attention to the name o ...more
Erin Cataldi
Dec 19, 2013 Erin Cataldi rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
I was looking for a quick funny holiday book and sadly this did not deliver. It was inventive and unique, for sure, but... mot what I wanted to read at all. Thankfully it was only 99 pages or I never would have finished it!

This tiny book is a collection of short re-imagined holiday tales that have been politically corrected. The reindeer lobby for better rights, Clara won't go off with the nutcracker because "such a journey is symbolic of the violent abduction that occurs in the wedding night [s
Debbie
It is cute. But it got old. It is six short stories and I probably should have read them with days in between, but I read it straight through, and whew,hat was a lot of "correctness." Rudolph was probably my favorite with his "luminescent olfactory organ (that) made him different from, but not inferior to, the other reindeer in his age category." The children all nestled in bed dreaming of lentils and whole grain bread was funny as well. I just got tired of this humor before I finished the remak ...more
Chris
Dec 20, 2013 Chris rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
When i first picked up this book from the "give a book/take a book" table at work, i thought great, something a bit informative and inspiring. But once i turned a few pages, i wasn't inspired as much as the title made me assume at first. Although inside the front dust-jacket mentioned humor as a genre, it was just that. I loved the first piece though: Twas the Night Before Solstice (by the way this poem can be found online with this unadjusted title). However, the rest of the book was a pure dud ...more
Rebecca
Dec 27, 2015 Rebecca rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I liked The Nutcracker quite a bit, but I hated Rudolph. And all the rest fell flat for me. Ah well.
Ciocido23
Satirical short stories based on stories we know and love. I not much for satire but they were funny.
Eric
Fun and short collection of Christmas stories with a PC twist. Perfect read for this busy time of year.
Carole
Jul 17, 2015 Carole rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015-books-read
Modern politically correct retelling of yuletide stories and poems. Humor.
Mary
Dec 18, 2015 Mary rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
somewhat entertaining and very quick, but nothing to be thrilled with
Candiebarr
Jun 09, 2015 Candiebarr rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: the-reading
This is probably one of my favourite Christmas books. uhh… holiday. It’s PC so there’s more than just Christmas. It’s been a couple years since I’ve read it though, and I understand more of it. I now know what miso soup and tatami matts. Of course, not knowing that doesn’t make much difference. The only thing I don’t like about it is the spelling. It’s politically correct as well so history/herstory, womyn, wommon and persun are used multiple times. I really want to correct it. But if you can ig ...more
Stacy
Oct 09, 2012 Stacy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Since I hate Christmas, I thought it would be nice to read these stories and see what the author has done to some popular yet overdone traditional Christmas tales. It was interesting, except for the fact that this book felt as if there were much fewer stories in it overall, since A Christmas Carol took up over half of the book.

No matter how much Christmas is a ripe subject to parody and criticize, Garner still doesn't get off without poking fun at his own characters when his Santa Claus tells th
Erin
Oct 02, 2012 Erin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: to-buy, favorites
I giggled the entire way through, no doubt freaking out the D&D guys that were getting out of their trucks to go play while I was lounging in my luxurious van*.

**Politically Correct Holiday Stories, rated 14+ (to appreciate the stories for social satire, younger ones that are socially aware would be fine 11+), rated 4/5 stars.

*Said van is neither luxurious nor lounge-worthy, it is a 2001 Odyssey that sounds like a mouse from Hell when you tap the breaks. Or just drive down the street.
  • A Wish for Wings That Work: An Opus Christmas Story
  • The Worst-Case Scenario Survival Handbook: Holidays
  • A Charlie Brown Christmas: The Making of a Tradition
  • Christmas Every Day
  • The Greedy Bastard Diary: A Comic Tour of America
  • The Christmas Scrapbook (Harmony, #5.5)
  • A Midnight Clear: Family Christmas Stories
  • Cosmic Christmas
  • They Shoot Canoes, Don't They?
  • The Christmas Books, Volume 1: A Christmas Carol/The Chimes
  • Kathy Sue Loudermilk, I Love You
  • Eloise at Christmastime
  • The Little Match Girl
  • Doonesbury Dossier: The Reagan Years
James Finn Garner is an American writer and satirist based in Chicago.[1] He is the author of Politically Correct Bedtime Stories,[2] Tea Party Fairy Tales, and Honk Honk, My Darling.
More about James Finn Garner...