Politically Correct Holiday Stories: For an Enlightened Yuletide Season

Politically Correct Holiday Stories: For an Enlightened Yuletide Season

3.62 of 5 stars 3.62  ·  rating details  ·  523 ratings  ·  53 reviews
The #1 bestselling author of Once Upon a More Enlightened Time reads his Pollitically Correct holiday gift.

Holiday tales have long delighted and entertained us, but until now they've always been burdened with society's skewed values and mores. Stories that reinforce the stifling class system (Dickens' A Christmas Carol), legitimize the stereotype of a merry, overweight p

Kindle Edition
Published (first published 1995)

M0rfeus
Political Correctness has turned "the language of Kings James and Lear" (quote courtesy of Jay McInerney) into a hodgepodge of meaningless yet trendy words worthy of Orwell's 1984. This book satirizes the PC movement in regard to some of our traditional Christmas (pardon me, "Holiday") stories.

My personal favorite is the PC "A Christmas Carol". The immortal first line of the original - "Marley was dead: to begin with." Becomes "Marley was non-viable, to begin with".

Enjoy--but probably best to re...more
Eric
A perfect addition to your Christmas, er, non-denominational, unoffensive, non-specific late-year celebrations.
Meredith
Oh Frosty the persun of snow. Your demise was so tragic! Garner is pretty brilliant. I love, love, love, his politically correct stories. I shall certainly share them with my pre-adults if I ever get any.
Linda Lipko
Witty, funny and very humorous.
PurplyCookie
This volume consists of five stories: "'Twas the Night Before Solstice, Frosty the Persun of Snow, The Nutcracker, Rudolph the Nasally Empowered Reindeer," and "A Christmas Carol."

Although I am a true fan of Christmas, and love all of the original versions of these stories I couldn't have been happier about the jest poked in the direction of a society to absorbed in political corectness that it has forgotten the joy of a season. For an off-beat Christmas treat I urge you to pick up this book.

In...more
Alisha B
I first came across James Finn Garner’s schtick of running long-standing and beloved stories of western culture through the PC sanitizer in high school when I read his Politically Correct Bedtime Stories. What made that first book so funny was that it was original and pointed out the ridiculousness of the then small voice of the PC police. Oh, if only we knew then how that voice would grow and become the bully it is today!

In this holiday version of the original book, Garner revisits our favorite...more
Jakob
This is James Garner's third book in which he modifies classic stories to make overly politically correct humorous versions. In his introduction, Garner says "I felt compelled once again to perform a public service in the name of right-thinking celebrants everywhere and revise the favorite seasonal tales for our more sensitive era." He is making fun of how ridiculous political correctness can be.
I think the theme of this book is not to be obsessive about including every group and not offending...more
Crazy Uncle Ryan
Well, this was pretty funny. I mean, it wasn't like rolling around on the floor clenching your side funny but it was nice to poke a bit of fun at political correctness. Sadly, we all know there are some people out there who really think like this and therefore wouldn't even realize that this book was meant as a joke. To such people I would like to say MERRY FREAKIN' CHRISTMAS. Not, happy holidays, not season's greetings but Merry Christmas and I would like to draw special attention to the name o...more
Erin Cataldi
I was looking for a quick funny holiday book and sadly this did not deliver. It was inventive and unique, for sure, but... mot what I wanted to read at all. Thankfully it was only 99 pages or I never would have finished it!

This tiny book is a collection of short re-imagined holiday tales that have been politically corrected. The reindeer lobby for better rights, Clara won't go off with the nutcracker because "such a journey is symbolic of the violent abduction that occurs in the wedding night [s...more
Debbie
It is cute. But it got old. It is six short stories and I probably should have read them with days in between, but I read it straight through, and whew,hat was a lot of "correctness." Rudolph was probably my favorite with his "luminescent olfactory organ (that) made him different from, but not inferior to, the other reindeer in his age category." The children all nestled in bed dreaming of lentils and whole grain bread was funny as well. I just got tired of this humor before I finished the remak...more
Chris
When i first picked up this book from the "give a book/take a book" table at work, i thought great, something a bit informative and inspiring. But once i turned a few pages, i wasn't inspired as much as the title made me assume at first. Although inside the front dust-jacket mentioned humor as a genre, it was just that. I loved the first piece though: Twas the Night Before Solstice (by the way this poem can be found online with this unadjusted title). However, the rest of the book was a pure dud...more
Stacy
Since I hate Christmas, I thought it would be nice to read these stories and see what the author has done to some popular yet overdone traditional Christmas tales. It was interesting, except for the fact that this book felt as if there were much fewer stories in it overall, since A Christmas Carol took up over half of the book.

No matter how much Christmas is a ripe subject to parody and criticize, Garner still doesn't get off without poking fun at his own characters when his Santa Claus tells th...more
Erin
I giggled the entire way through, no doubt freaking out the D&D guys that were getting out of their trucks to go play while I was lounging in my luxurious van*.

**Politically Correct Holiday Stories, rated 14+ (to appreciate the stories for social satire, younger ones that are socially aware would be fine 11+), rated 4/5 stars.

*Said van is neither luxurious nor lounge-worthy, it is a 2001 Odyssey that sounds like a mouse from Hell when you tap the breaks. Or just drive down the street.
Rebecca
okay, so i didn't read this whole book. i just couldn't bring myself too. BUT, i loved the 1st story/poem, 'Twas the Night Before Solstice'. I even shared some choice bits with my lifemate.

maybe someday i will pick this up again and read the rest. when i do, it's rating would probably raist up to a 3 or 4 star. right now, i feel that i need to rush it back to the library to make sure that others get a chance to read the 1st story.
Emily Mellow
I really enjoyed reading these to the kids. Much of it may have sailed over their heads, but it went down easy, and read well. The final story about Scrooge, was a bit drawn out, plus it's a story my kids have never heard, so it was harder to relate to. The others (rudolf, nutcracker, frosty, night before Christmas) all were great. We always enjoy reading different versions of the same stories, so this fit the bill perfectly.
Mary
I won't go into my discussion of satire (if you really want to hear me drone boringly on and on, see my review of Politcally Correct Bedtime Stories), but I will note a favorite quote in this book, where Santa leaves the house after being badgered and bullied for being politically-correct impaired...he says, "Happy Christmas to all, but get over yourselves!" *chuckle* Maybe this Santa and I could be pals after all!
Savannah
This read while i was working in retail store this holiday season reading this book brought me much joy when i could get to enjoy it away from the greed of the season, as long as you take this book as a joke its wonderful, but sometime you will read something in it and be like "wow i could totallie see our culture getting to this point". As a side note this book was given to me as a gift.
Alanna P
A true tribute to the insanity that we call P.C. I hate that we have gone this far and continue to change the classics to meet our current version of "polite society". This book made me laugh at the same time it caused me to think about how P.C. I really want to let my life become.
Lauren
It's July 1st and I decided to do a tiny bit of cleaning today. I found this book, which had been given to me for Christmas, and decided I might as well read it. There were a few humorous lines from this little book, but I found myself rushing simply to get it over with. Not my cup of tea, I'm afraid.
Rich Meyer
Not as funny as the original bedtime stories books, these tales still are good for a chuckle. The Christmas Carol spoof is way too long though, and some of the humor tries to make you laugh the hard way - the PC-ness is taken to such extremes it doesn't work well as rifts.
Patricia
Mister Allen
Wow! I can't believe this book was recommended to me. I actually picked up this book at a clearinghouse. It's collecting dust in the corner of my classroom. This used to be what I read during the week before Christmas, but now I prefer some David Sedaris stories.
Kate
I thought it was funny....the spell check won't let me spell person the way he did.
Alyssa (The Shady Glade)
Okay, so I realize it's supposed to poke fun at political correctness as a whole. But I found it so hard to remember that it was joke in some parts and I kept being a little offended at how PC it was. I enjoyed Garner's other books much better.
Marya
Meh. This book, the last of Garner's politically correct tales, is not very good at all. It is only worth it for the initial poem, Twas the Night before Solstice. This makes a great addition to any family's winter celebrations.
Timothy Tobolski
This book exemplifies precisely what's wrong with the entire 'politically correct movement' with the sharpest of wit. Haven't read it in years, and I'd forgotten just how laugh-out-loud hysterical it is.
Christine Prasnik
An interesting twist and a great read for the holidays. This book transforms classical holiday stories such as the Christmas Carol into its politically-correct counterparts herein portrayed in Garner's book.
Janet
Gardner doesn’t shy away from having a depressing ending. Not everyone lives happily ever after in these tales (or tails, so not to offend any tail-bearing species that may read this review).
June
I could read the real story about Rudolph's leadership.
I liked the pictures in the book and front picture was
quiet interesting because people said,'Santa is a sell out','Save the elves'.
  • I'm Not Anti-Business, I'm Anti-Idiot (Dilbert, #11)
  • Murder for Christmas
  • Smart Dragons, Foolish Elves
  • The Grasshopper Trap
  • A Wish for Wings That Work: An Opus Christmas Story
  • A Charlie Brown Christmas: The Making of a Tradition
  • The Quiet Little Woman: Tilly's Christmas, Rosa's Tale : Three Enchanting Christmas Stories
  • The Complete Monty Python's Flying Circus: All the Words, Vol. 2
  • The Christmas Books, Volume 1: A Christmas Carol/The Chimes
  • I'm Not Really Here
  • Chicks 'n Chained Males (Chicks in Chainmail, #3)
  • Kathy Sue Loudermilk, I Love You
  • Boogers Are My Beat: More Lies, But Some Actual Journalism!
  • The Christmas Scrapbook: A Harmony Story (Harmony, #6.5)
  • The Late Night with David Letterman Book of Top Ten Lists
  • Ophelia Joined the Group Maidens Who Don't Float: Classic Lit Signs on to Facebook
  • A Christmas Story
James Finn Garner is an American writer and satirist based in Chicago.[1] He is the author of Politically Correct Bedtime Stories,[2] Tea Party Fairy Tales, and Honk Honk, My Darling.
More about James Finn Garner...
Politically Correct Bedtime Stories: A Collection of Modern Tales for Our Life and Times (Politically Correct Bedtime Stories, #1) Once Upon a More Enlightened Time: More Politically Correct Bedtime Stories Politically Correct Bedtime Stories Apocalypse Wow!:  A Memoir for the End of Time Tea Party Fairy Tales