Start by marking “Why We're All Romans: The Roman Contribution to the Western World” as Want to Read:
Why We're All Romans: The Roman Contribution to the Western World

Why We're All Romans: The Roman Contribution to the Western World

This engaging yet deeply informed work not only examines Roman history and the multitude of Roman achievements in rich and colorful detail but also delineates their crucial and lasting impact on Western civilization. Noted historian Carl J. Richard argues that although we Westerners are "all Greeks" in politics, science, philosophy, and literature and "all Hebrews" in mora ...more
Published October 16th 2011 by Rowman & Littlefield Publishers (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Why We're All Romans, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Why We're All Romans

Kathy Hale
Jun 23, 2015 Kathy Hale rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: oboc2015
I really liked this book. It gives reasons why the culture from the Greeks have come down to us through the Romans and were added to by other Romans. Each chapter deals with a different area such as law, literature, and history.
Jeff Lanter
Jan 06, 2013 Jeff Lanter rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: roman-history
"Why We're All Romans" is an interesting collection of some of Rome (and Greece's) biggest accomplishments and is presented in a well-written and entertaining manner. While I've read a fair number of books on Rome, I found quite a bit of new information and generally found this book to be a very worthwhile read. I'm going to sound a bit spoiled when I suggest a few criticisms of this book, but here goes nothing.

There are a few times where the author's brevity is a disservice to the reader. He d
Daniel
Jun 02, 2014 Daniel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really fun read! Carl Richard goes through the various famous men of Rome, explaining their significance to their own time, but most importantly how they influenced Western culture, and particularly the American Founding Fathers. Well written!
Vicki Cline
Aug 03, 2010 Vicki Cline rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ancient-history
I enjoyed this book a lot. The chapters on writing (philosophy, poetry, history, speeches and plays) all give a quick summary of Greek precursors as well as later European and American works which were influenced by the Romans. An interesting review is here - http://www.unrv.com/book-review/why-w....
Colin
I read this on my Kindle, and it inspired me to buy a hardcopy to display and lend. An excellent little book on the tremendous debt of Western culture in general to Rome. Highly recommended.
Kat Strand
Kat Strand is currently reading it
Sep 18, 2016
Susannah
Susannah is currently reading it
Sep 15, 2016
Gaetano Amato
Gaetano Amato rated it it was ok
Sep 11, 2016
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2016
Marissa Sobel
Marissa Sobel rated it liked it
Aug 19, 2016
Tyr
Tyr marked it as to-read
May 12, 2016
Joe Adams
Joe Adams rated it it was amazing
Apr 28, 2016
Cody Sexton
Cody Sexton marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2016
Erin McNulty
Erin McNulty rated it liked it
Apr 18, 2016
Chayma
Chayma added it
Apr 14, 2016
Ann Claire
Ann Claire is currently reading it
Feb 23, 2016
Wayne Weathers
Wayne Weathers is currently reading it
Feb 15, 2016
Steve
Steve added it
Feb 11, 2016
Wayne Weathers
Wayne Weathers marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2016
Mikel
Mikel marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2016
Katie Pagan
Katie Pagan marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2016
John Hutchinson
John Hutchinson marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2015
Aithen
Aithen marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2015
Andrew Theus
Andrew Theus rated it liked it
Oct 31, 2015
Mitchell
Mitchell marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2015
Stan
Stan rated it really liked it
Jan 25, 2016
Kurt
Kurt added it
Jul 06, 2015
Lori Davis
Lori Davis marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2015