Start by marking “Password to Larkspur Lane (Nancy Drew, #10).” as Want to Read:
Password to Larkspur Lane (Nancy Drew, #10).

Password to Larkspur Lane (Nancy Drew, #10). (Nancy Drew #10)

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  7,255 ratings  ·  136 reviews
A carrier pigeon furnishes Nancy with a clue to a mysterious retreat.
Published June 1st 1960 by Grosset & Dunlap (first published 1933)

To ask other readers questions about Password to Larkspur Lane (Nancy Drew, #10)., please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Password to Larkspur Lane (Nancy Drew, #10).

Lorene
Zanier than most! Here's my favorite line: "I'll wire the International Federation of American Homing Pigeon Fanciers and give them the number stamped on the bird's leg ring." Who knew?!!
Susan
There are 2 mysteries for Nancy to solve in this outing. Both ended up being related but I was not aware of it when I started reading.

This story had more action than some of the previous stories and I found the 'chase' pretty exciting and appreciated Nancy using her common sense in a time of crisis. Also, the language (this is one of those newer books so maybe that is why) was less archaic than in previous books.

Since I never read Nancy Drew when I was much (much!) younger - I was a Scholastic B
John Yelverton
A stark departure for typical Nancy Drew books. She is in much more peril, and it's more a kidnapping story than a mystery.
Alex
I took a break from re-reading Nancy Drew books for awhile, but I decided to start back up again. These are just so much fun to read and they always make me smile - usually because I am laughing at them, but I'll take it.

I am seriously sick of Nancy being so ridiculously perfect, though. She solves two mysteries, rescues an old lady, survives a kidnapping, MacGyvers her way out of a cellar and STILL comes in first place in the flower contest. What an overachiever.

I always laugh at how outdated
Whitney
A carrier pigeon lands in the Drew's yard with a hurt wing and an undelivered letter contain an odd set of directions. After visiting her family doctor for her housekeeper's sprained ankle he confides that he had been taken recently, blind-folded to tend an elderly woman. This sparks Nancy's interest and sets about deciphering the bird's message which she believes to be an important clue.

Why must the newer yellow hardcovers be politically incorrect? It is screamingly obvious that Carolyn Keene h
Ellen

Another fun Nancy Drew. "And a grand surprise it is."

The two mysteries fitting together didn't seem to work quite as well as the others I've read, but the story was fun and exciting!
The cover photo most resembles the edition we read, but mine was published in 1933, so may be less politically correct than later versions. Fortunately there are no "colored" servants shuffling or speaking in dialect in this story and no one with sinister foreign accents. The mystery itself is okay, though it drags a bit. Nancy tracks down a fake hospital where a band of crooks hold old ladies against their will and force them to sign over their fortunes. They seem to do this by drugging and hyp ...more
Shulie W.
PurplyCookie
Intrepid sleuth Nancy Drew has two mysteries to solve. It begins when a homing pigeon crash lands on her property. The message the pigeon is carrying is strange, if not a little ominous. As more unusual developments happen, Nancy realizes that the message is connected to the mysterious absence of an elderly woman named Mrs. Eldridge. The second mystery centers around a frightening ring of blue fire showing up near the home of Nancy's friend, Helen Corning's grandparents after dark. When Helen as ...more
Phe☽♃
Password to Larkspur Lane is a children's story by Carolyn Keene (pseudonym) and the 10th book in the Nancy Drew series.

A mysterious signal and a message alert Nancy to the plight of an elderly woman who is being held prisoner. While Nancy and her friends attempt to rescue the woman, they uncover a dangerous ring of swindlers.

I’ve always been a voracious reader. So, as a child, one of my favorite things about summer was the frequent trips to our local library, which was less than a mile from
Debbie
I really loved Nancy Drew books as a kid - often read three at a time in second and third grade. However, in rereading them with my daughter, there are things that bother me as I read this one.

First, the clues are so fast-coming that my 4th grade daughter missed a few as clues because she was still processing the one on the previous page. However, she likes how fast paced it is.

Second, Nancy is a bit spoiled. She has a perfectly good convertible, but her dad gets her a new one.

Finally, this pa
alison
why doesn't GoodReads admit that there are two different novels titled _Password to Larkspur Lane_?? first of all, i read TWO DIFFERENT BOOKS for which i should receive APPROPRIATE CREDIT. secondly, only one of these novels was genuinely interesting. (yes, of COURSE _i_ liked it when nancy purchases then dons the clothing that constitutes her old lady disguise, but i don't think old carolyn keene even mentioned the type of fabric...so whatev. i may be a sucker for descriptions of clothes, but i ...more
Evelyn Montez
I think this was a thrilling book . I loved the ending and it was very mysterious book.I find this to be one of my favroite of the series .I am going to read the next ones after this one . I liked how the author used they other characters like the mysterious house keeper morgan in it .And how ned comes up in this and her father and dont forget the classic bess and george.
Jonny99
Botanically-themed sleuthin'. Nancy takes on elder abuse in her pursuit of a missing woman. The scenes of a mansion where a host of older woman are held captive after arriving under the pretense of regaining their lost vitality will tend to disturb younger readers so this episode might be one you wait on. However, for Interwebs-addicted tweens, the book presents the quaint and somewhat hard to believe use of pigeons as means of personal communication. The baddies employ what city dwellers common ...more
Grace
I loved this mysterious book because right when you thought the mystery was solved, and unexpected turn was taken and changes the whole story. Five words that I would use to describe this book would be mysterious, exciting, adventurous, suspenseful, and detailed. I think that the book is detailed because it described every person and object that came into play in the mystery. This was very helpful because I was able to picture the story in my mind like a movie. My favorite pant of the book was w ...more
Sarra Martin
This was a very good book in the Nancy Drew series. It was a little sad seeing how they treated the elderly.
Debra
Intrepid sleuth Nancy Drew has two mysteries to solve. It begins when a homing pigeon crash lands on her property. The message the pigeon is carrying is strange, if not a little ominous. As more unusual developments happen, Nancy realizes that the message is connected to the mysterious absence of an elderly woman named Mrs. Eldridge. The second mystery centers around a frightening ring of blue fire showing up near the home Helen Corning’s grandparents after dark. When Helen asks Nancy to find ou ...more
Macjest
As always, this Nancy Drew is a hoot. Her knowledge of obscure items like the fact that she knew the exact name of the pigeon bird group and their phone number is nothing short of outstanding. Oh well, it was a quick fluffy read, and sometimes that's all I'm looking for.
Mitzi
Grew up reading every Nancy Drew book out there. I had the whole set in hardback (sold them at yard sales, wish I would've kept them all) Intrepid sleuth Nancy Drew has two mysteries to solve. It begins when a homing pigeon crash lands on her property. The message the pigeon is carrying is strange, if not a little ominous. As more unusual developments happen, Nancy realizes that the message is connected to the mysterious absence of an elderly woman named Mrs. Eldridge. The second mystery centers ...more
Stephanie
I really enjoyed this book.
I loved the collection of characters, especially how included Nancy's friends were in this one.

It was very exciting to read about Nancy's 2 mysteries which ended up being connected!
Kathy Padgett
This was a gift and the first book I read for pleasure while recuperating from my appendectomy at the end of 4th grade in 1965. I continued to read the entire series, and still love a good mystery.
Delanie
This is very well written. It's kind of creepy so if you normally read at night, don't choose this one for the time that you need a good book to read while babysitting the neighbor's kids at night.
Mr
Amelia Hurley Novatny 175 pages

Nancy and her housekeeper, Hannah, find an unregistered passenger pigon with a strange message inside. Something related to the message, a doctor gets captured into a car, and hears a related message, then gets returned. nancy hears and finds more of these messages. Then she finds out where the pigon came from, and went to return it. The place was not where the doctor had been taken, but must be a similar hidout of the gang's. Later, Nancy's handbag is stolen by so
Tabi34
I love this Nancy Drew book. This is one I can remember reading when I was a kid. Nancy has not one but two mysteriesto solve and in the midst of everything she also saves a few lives; and she does it all pretty much on her own. Part of the charm of perfect Nancy is the fact that she solves these my steries without a cell phone, GPS, or the internet and the suspects are usually hardened criminals.

This time Nancy finds an injured homing pigeon that leads her to the mystery of a missing woman who
Kaethe
Carrier pigeons. Now that's what makes a mystery compelling: some crazy way of communicating that no one I know has ever seen, but everyone has probably heard of.
Melanie
Pretty sure I owned this one (I remember the cover and the name Eldridge) but I didn't remember the story at all.
Nancy loses consciousness after being knocked to driveway in struggle.
Olivia
I've read the original and revised versions of this book. They are pretty much the same except in the original Nancy is accompanied by Helen Corning instead of Bess and George and let me tell you Helen is way better choice in this story. In the revised George falls and hurts her ankle. She has to sit where she is forcing Bess to step up and go with Nancy undercover, whining all the way. In the original Helen falls and hurts her ankle. Nancy fixes it up and Helen says "great lets get!". A LOT les ...more
Ellen
Got this book for Christmas when I was 10. This is a series of about 52 books, featuring Nancy Drew, and her helpful friends Bess and George. Nancy taught me that you can use lipstick to signal for help, perfume to steralize sewing scissors if you ever need to perform minor surgery in a pinch, and the heel of a pump to dig yourself toeholds so you can get out of the cistern (yes, cistern) that you were thrown into by evil crooks.

Back in Nancy's day, a lady never cursed or had tantrums, a lady 'b
Y
She was dressed in a Chinese-style pink kimono

What the heck is a Chinese-style kimono? Is it anything like a Korean-style ao dai? A French-style kilt? A Greek-style turban?

Nancy Drew books are fairly entertaining, but there really isn't any actual sleuthing going on. It's more like, Nancy ends up being assaulted by sheer coincidences and pure dumb luck around every corner. They couldn't wait for this one to get started; on the very first page already the pigeon that kick-starts Nancy's involveme
Llamarae
Page turner as expected on a Nancy Drew series.
First Nancy Drew book 2 8 Jun 06, 2014 07:02AM
Remeber 2 9 Jun 19, 2013 02:26AM
  • The Gatehouse Mystery
  • Trixie Belden and the Mystery at Mead's Mountain (Trixie Belden, #22)
  • The House on the Cliff (Hardy Boys, #2)

Edna and Harriet Stratemeyer inherited the company from their father Edward Str
More about Carolyn Keene...

Nancy Drew (1 - 10 of 175 books)
  • The Secret of the Old Clock (Nancy Drew, #1)
  • The Hidden Staircase (Nancy Drew, #2)
  • The Bungalow Mystery (Nancy Drew, #3)
  • The Mystery at Lilac Inn (Nancy Drew, #4)
  • The Secret of Shadow Ranch (Nancy Drew, #5)
  • The Secret of Red Gate Farm (Nancy Drew, #6)
  • The Clue in the Diary (Nancy Drew, #7)
  • Nancy's Mysterious Letter (Nancy Drew, #8)
  • The Sign of the Twisted Candles (Nancy Drew, #9)
  • The Clue of the Broken Locket (Nancy Drew, #11)
The Secret of the Old Clock (Nancy Drew, #1) The Hidden Staircase (Nancy Drew, #2) Nancy Drew: #1-64 The Bungalow Mystery (Nancy Drew, #3) The Mystery at Lilac Inn (Nancy Drew, #4)

“Bell seated himself behind the desk, motioning for Nancy to stand opposite him. There was tense silence for a moment. Then Bell reached for a desk telephone.
"I am going to call the police, Miss Drew, and turn you over to them on a charge of trespassing, breaking, and entering with an attempt to steal."
"I wish you would," Nancy replied. "if it is possible over that dummy telephone.”
12 likes
“Luther, bring the gatekeeper quickly!" Bell ordered. "Just how did you get in, Miss Drew?"
"I came in at the entrance," Nancy replied. "The larkspur is beautiful.”
10 likes