Start by marking “The Snapper (Barrytown Trilogie, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Snapper (Barrytown Trilogie, #2)

The Snapper (The Barrytown Trilogy #2)

3.92  ·  Rating Details ·  6,062 Ratings  ·  214 Reviews
Sharon Rabbitte ist schwanger. Aber wer der Vater ist, will sie einfach nicht erzählen. Die Rabbitte-Familie und ganz Barrytown machen sich begeistert auf die Suche nach Kandidaten. Und Sharon gerät ganz schön in die Klemme.
Published 2001 by Krüger Verlag (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about The Snapper, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Snapper

Glenn Sumi
Sep 06, 2015 Glenn Sumi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As much as I liked The Commitments , the first novel in Roddy Doyle’s Barrytown Trilogy, The Snapper – book two – is much more satisfying. It’s just as funny and profane, but it has more emotional depth, an amusing if troubling mystery and characters who feel alive and authentic.

It focuses on Sharon Rabbitte, the 20-year-old sister of the Commitments’ manager, Jimmy. I remember meeting her briefly in the first book, when Jimmy’s friend Deco complimented her as she passed him in the Rabbitte’s N
Margitte
It was okay. A relaxing read for a lazy Sunday afternoon with some time to spare and a way to not think about anything serious. That's what I thought.

An Irish family, the Rabbittes, have to work around the pregnancy of the oldest daughter, a new dog, and how everyone adapts to the situation. The dad is the numero uno character: highly lovable and really funny. It is a busy family with neighbors and friends dropping in enhancing the craziness and mayhem around the daughter who refuse to make the
Mallory
Jul 20, 2009 Mallory rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Irish people, dialogue fans
Recommended to Mallory by: Maryanne Mazzola, Kristen McMahon
Like Juno, but without the annoying hipster music and with lots of drunk Irish people yelling at each other.

This was a fun read. You know I embarrassed myself a few times by laughing out loud on the subway. This story chronicles a young, single, Irish girl from a blue-collar Dublin family who finds herself pregnant. She won't reveal who the father is. Despite the Lifetime-movie setup, this book is hardly melodramatic. It's a funny, lighthearted look at pregnancy. The dialect and conversations ar
Jessi
This book is almost totally dialogue, hilarious dialogue. Back with the Rabbitte clan after The Commitmentsand they are in fine form Jimmy is a DJ, Les is no where to be found, the twins are irritating as always, Darren is sweet and enthusiastic and Sharon is in a spot of trouble. This book focuses on Sharon and Jimmy Rabbitte Sr. I love Jimmy Rabbitte Sr, he is is hilarious the whole way through his reactions are never what you expect and always entertaining. No matter what important matter is ...more
Momoftwnz
Jan 06, 2009 Momoftwnz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: save-forever
I loved this book so much I would read it out loud to myself just to give myself a 2nd laugh. Lots of the F word on EVERY page and it just added to the flow. I loved interpreting the little bit of Irish dialect which was included (which wasn't hard-actually fun) and reading this book was like reading a play. The author didn't waste precious ink on flowery descriptions of scenery. He saved it for the impact of the statement. Simple lines like "They roared." referring to a group of girls in a bar ...more
Emer Martin
Oct 07, 2014 Emer Martin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. I think it is the strongest of the three books that compile the fascinating Barrytown Trilogy. The narrative never gets bogged down, it sweeps along with a pace and vigor I would love to emulate in my own fiction. There is not a spare scene or extra word in the whole book and that is quite a feat for an Irish writer.
I get tired of the constant father son relationships in so much of our fiction, it was truly refreshing to show a father daughter relationship in such a tender, h
Barbara
Malachy
Jun 24, 2017 Malachy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
The second entry in the Barrytown Trilogy and the best by far. Obviously, The Commitments went cult because of the film and the original book, as a result, can't quite live up to things in the same way. With The Snapper, however, despite the fact that the film was also fantastic, the book is by far the better experience - and that Roddy Doyle style of rhythmic dialogue has the feel of being best suited to this story among the three entries. The Snapper - just loved it. I suspect, however, that y ...more
Hobart
May 20, 2015 Hobart rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015-reads
★ ★ ★ ★ 1/2

Naturally, after one of the best rock band novels ever -- one fully of music, laughs, and style -- Doyle follows it up with a heartfelt story of a young woman who gets pregnant after a one-night stand. Who wouldn't?

Now, Sharon (the young woman in question) is the sister of Jimmy Rabbitte -- The Commitments' manager. So there is a tie -- and we saw a little of their father and the rest of the family last time. Still, this feels so different, it's hard to conceive of them being part of
Nancy Oakes
Feb 05, 2014 Nancy Oakes rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Like a 3.8, rounded up.

Not quite as entertaining as its predecessor, The Snapper is still a good read. As in The Commitments, the plot is unraveled via the brisk dialogue and the action takes place within a working-class neighborhood; unlike The Commitments, the author takes his readers deep into Barrytown life and more specifically inside the Rabbitte home.

Daughter Sharon Rabbitte, aged 20, is pregnant, and is keeping mum on the identity of the father, for reasons she doesn't care to discuss
Allan
Aug 20, 2014 Allan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This novel, the second in the Barrytown Trilogy, and the follow up to probably Doyle's most famous book, The Commitments, was a real treat for me. Jimmy Rabbitte Junior, the driving force behind the first novel reappears in the book, but he plays a minor role, taking a back seat while we are introduced to his family, mum and dad, Veronica and Jimmy Senior, big sister Sharon, brothers Leslie and Darren, and little sisters, twins Linda and Tracy.

The fact that I can rattle of the family's names fr
Sarah F
Picked this one up at Epilogue Books in their final days of business. I'd seen the movie years before and had enjoyed it, so I figured what the hell. It's the story of a working class Irish family, and what happens to them after their eldest daughter, 20-year-old Sharon, becomes pregnant and refuses to tell who the father is. Despite the subject matter, it's actually a light-hearted, comedic tale.

I found it a bit hard to get into, for it is full of Irish slang and accents, but after about 50 pag
Benjamin
Jun 09, 2009 Benjamin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What's funnier than unwanted pregnancy? Not much, if you're Roddy Doyle. Sharon, the oldest daughter of the Rabbitte family, is knocked up by a man she won't identify. In the aftermath of the subsequent minor scandal, her family rallies around to support her, each in their own weird way.

Mostly, though, this book is about Jimmy Sr., father of the Rabbitte family - an old-fashioned working-class Dubliner who largely just gets drunk and says funny things. It's your typical story of an emotionally
Dee
Sep 20, 2012 Dee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think for a lot of Roddy Doyle's work you have to be Irish to fully appreciate the dialogue and slang. He has a habit of slipping in colloquialisms that only make sense to the Irish. I lived in Dublin city for three years and let me tell you, there are a lot of Jimmy Snrs about!

The Snapper's pace is good, the characters are hilarious and true to life. I loved the bit with the racing bikes myself. It's a story that is uplifting, because although there are very few happy moments, people seem sa
John Martin
Nov 06, 2011 John Martin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ask anyone? I'm tough.
So when I tell you this book caused me to cry, it surely carries some weight.
They were real tears too, albeit of laughter. Salty streams of mirth coursing down my cheeks every few pages and causing me great embarrassment and endangering my manly image.
The first Roddy Doyle book I read annoyed me. With his absence of quotation marks I couldn't work out what was dialogue and what was merely thought. Plus, it wasn't a very happy book.
That style continues with this book, but as
Mark
Shorter and ostensibly simpler than THE COMMITMENTS, the second volume of "The Barrytown Trilogy" is a deceptively beautiful and brilliant book. Sharon Rabbitte announces that she's pregnant out of wedlock, and the novel follows the reactions and accommodations of her family and, to some extent, most of the town. THE SNAPPER is heavily dialogue-driven, and Doyle is a master of voice and cadence. And the story itself is funny, profane, and poignant--sometimes all at the same time. Highly recommen ...more
Portia S
Not bad. The only issue I have is that at the very end, yes, the baby is born, but the Mother was drunk and getting smashed every weekend, so how was this baby even there? alive and existent? I know this is part of the Barrytown collection,but that mean in another book we find out the baby was deformed or mentally challenged? I don't know. What I do know is that I liked the father character. Jimmy Sr is interesting, and I spent a lot of the book trying to figure him out.

but I'm sick and sleepy
Linda
Feb 18, 2015 Linda rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, humor, book-group
Two and a half stars. I think.

I hesitate to have too strong of an opinion here. In order to secure an audio copy, I had to order from the UK, and the only format available was abridged audio cassette. Yes, cassette-- so I'd like props for being dedicated enough to deal with an antiquated format for the sake of my book group.

I can see why this books is generally regarded as funny. It simply wasn't my cup of Barry's Gold.
Emmet
Dec 01, 2015 Emmet rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. That's obviosu as it only took 2 days. Roddy Doyle really understood what he was writing about again with this one.

At once he conveys the social interpretation of Sharon's pregnancy and how isolated it makes her. Poignant and funny in just the right amounts. I'm going to overlook some of the inherent misogyny as cultural and accurate but must dock 1 star for some of it as it left a bad taste in my mouth in places.
Diane
Aug 29, 2014 Diane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: irish
To quote Maeve Binchy from the front of the book, "Very, very funny ... The most amazing account of a pregnancy ever written." She's right but she forgot to add that it is also the most fun story of a pregnancy ever.
عمرو خيري
Feb 19, 2015 عمرو خيري rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
رواية خفيفة وحلوة.. قايمة على الحوار، 90% منها حوار. مش الحوار اللي بيرسم الشخصيات ويطور الأحداث، لأ الحوار فقط.. كأنه نصّ مسرحي. ممكن يكون فاتني كتير لأني معرفش حاجة عن أيرلندا، ولا قريت رواية سابقة أبطالها نفس الأسرة.. النجمة الرابعة تذهب لنهاية الرواية، غير كده 3 نجوم بالظبط.
Sho
Aug 09, 2016 Sho rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: series, drama, humour, modern
Excellent sparse writing with absolutely cracking dialogue. It's a follow on from The Commitments based on Sharon Rabbitte rather than her brother Jimmy Jr this time.
She's pregnant, but who's the father?
Jimmie
Jul 12, 2010 Jimmie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This short, sweet book had me laughing so hard I actually dropped the book twice.

It's the second book in Roddy Doyle's "Barrytown Trilogy," and now I really can't wait to read the last.
Sandra Bašić
Sep 20, 2014 Sandra Bašić rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Smijala sam se naglas a to već dovoljno govori. Podsjetilo me na Bilježnicu Robija K. Preporuka!
John
Stomach muscles beware. This book is funny and will give you a workout.
Vel Veeter
Jul 14, 2017 Vel Veeter rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cbr-9
This novel is part two of Roddy Doyle’s Barrytown Trilogy, which starts off with The Commitments and closes with The Van. In this novel, we meet the Rabbitte family half a generation earlier from where we started in the previous novel. So to call it a sequel is right and not right and to call it a prequel is right and not right. My understanding is that the third book moves backward in this same fashion.

If you liked The Commitments I am certain you’re going to like this one. It’s a little more s
Louise Jones
i enjoyed this much more than the commitments although would not reccomend it to a lots of people because of the amount of dialogue but it was an easy read and made me laugh and got the feel of irish humour of which i get being bit irish you did get the feel of the book and will read the van sometime or other !!!!
Anna
May 26, 2017 Anna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book. Made me laugh out loud on several occasions.
Tim Armstrong
Mar 17, 2017 Tim Armstrong rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Like all the Barrytown trilogy, of which this is one, they are laugh out reads. Doyle is the master of dialogue, but equally he tells engrossing yarns that are indelibly Irish. If accurate, (which one would assume they are) they tell us so much about Ireland and their people!
Great stuff, and if you want a guy wrenching laugh - don't miss them!
Christine Bonheure
Lang geleden dat ik nog een boek las die praktisch volledig uit dialogen bestaat. Geen passages gevuld met filosofische overpeinzingen, nostalgische herinneringen, gemijmer, natuurbeschrijvingen en/of soms psychologisch geouwehoer. Gewoon rechttoe rechtane dialogen tussen een aantal familieleden en vrienden/vriendinnen nadat de oudste dochter vertelt dat ze zwanger is. Eerst wil ze niet kwijt wie de papa is. Wanneer het er later naar uitziet dat de schuldige toch bekend wordt, verzint ze een pas ...more
  • The Mammy (Agnes Browne, #1)
  • The Butcher Boy
  • 1916 The Easter Rising
  • Borstal Boy
  • Irisches Tagebuch
  • The Speckled People: A Memoir of a Half-Irish Childhood
Roddy Doyle (Irish: Ruaidhrí Ó Dúill) is an Irish novelist, dramatist and screenwriter. Several of his books have been made into successful films, beginning with The Commitments in 1991. He won the Booker Prize in 1993.

Doyle grew up in Kilbarrack, Dublin. He graduated with a Bachelor of Arts from University College, Dublin. He spent several years as an English and geography teacher before becoming
More about Roddy Doyle...

The Barrytown Trilogy (3 books)
  • The Commitments
  • The Van (The Barrytown Trilogy, #3)