Start by marking “Ralestone Luck” as Want to Read:
Ralestone Luck

Read Book* *Different edition

Ralestone Luck

3.67  ·  Rating Details  ·  239 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
Rupert Ralestone is officially the Marquess of Lorne--but with no family money or prestige, the title is worthless. He and his younger brother and sister return to the old family homestead--Pirate's Haven. Their only hope is to find the family's talisman, a great sword, and restore it to its proper place.
Kindle Edition
Published (first published 1938)

To ask other readers questions about Ralestone Luck, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ralestone Luck

Jim
Mar 02, 2014 Jim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Product Description

Her brother Val watched the gas gage on the instrument board of the roadster fluctuate wildly as the attendant of the station shook the hose to speed the flow of the last few drops.

About the Author

For well over a half century, Andre Norton has been one of the most popular science fiction and fantasy authors in the world. Since her first SF novels were published in the 1940s, her adventure SF has enthralled readers young and old. With series such as_ Time Traders, Solar Qu

Janelle
3 1/2 stars. This was a very enjoyable tale. It took me a little while adjust to the Librivox narrator's accent but once I did, I found I liked him.
Derek
Sep 22, 2015 Derek rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is Andre Norton's second published book, although it was written before THE PRINCE COMMANDS, which was published first but written later. It's a pretty standard adventure story, with a once well-to-do family that has now fallen on hard times and is forced to move back to the familial estate, which has fallen into disrepair. There are the usual Norton twists and turns, with some clever plot twists, but overall it feels like a first novel. Norton is still finding her voice, and there are some ...more
Johnnie
Jul 21, 2014 Johnnie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novella-short
A fun and short book. the characters are rather dated and some of the culture is out of date but a fun story and a bit of mystery. Always helps if it is good writer who makes the characters come alive. The Ralestone is a lost sword and the purpose of an old family heritage. There is a story of restored glory for an old Bayou Family, complete with scalawags, lawyers, swamp foxes and old slaves still loyal to the "old ways". A simple "all's well" in the end. As a side note, I think I read this in ...more
Sandra Munger
Jun 26, 2016 Sandra Munger rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: a-norton
She didn't write just scifi or fantasy books. This one is the story of 3 young people claiming their inheritance in Louisiana after some family tragedy. They find the family treasure and the 2 oldest find what they will do in life. Nice young adult book
Ricky Kimsey
Apr 06, 2015 Ricky Kimsey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Pirate Treasure

This is one of Andre Norton's few novels that have no fantasy or science fiction elements. It's an adventure story set in New Orleans during The Great Depression where the title family is searching for treasure left by a pirate ancestor centuries before.
Serena
Dec 17, 2012 Serena rated it really liked it
This was a odd sort of book, I must admit; it's historic, about three siblings moving into a house (their ancestral home, in fact) and the mystery which surrounds it. The elder brother was a red headed writer (but hiding it), the middle brother a dark haired air pilot who crashed and hurt himself, and the red haired sister a spitfire. There were "Red Ralestones" and "Black Ralestones" with that meaning; their family's Luck has gone missing.

(The Luck ends up being a sword).

This is a mystery abo
Tasha
Not my thing, although if I was the age of the book's intended audience (MG) I probably would have enjoyed it more.
Lynette Jones
Feb 11, 2015 Lynette Jones rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a predictable mystery, but I still enjoyed the story.
A.N.
Mar 14, 2014 A.N. rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
55/100. A casual "mystery-ish" story for not too small children.
Valerie
This is Norton's 1st published work, copyrighted in 1938, when Norton was still in her late teens.

Given that Norton spent little time in bayou country (as far as I can tell), there are a few glaring errors (underground tunnels in the area would be underwater, for example, unless the house was up on a rare rise of land). Still, a creditable first effort.
B. Zedan
Sep 03, 2008 B. Zedan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Folks who like the lightness of YA and the skill of Norton
It could almost be Gothic, if it weren't as light hearted as the Boxcar Children. The last scions of the Ralestone family, penniless and uprooted, return to their old family home in the States. There's all sorts of intrigue and mystery and sass.
Nona King
Dec 18, 2010 Nona King rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I know she is known cor her sci-fi or fantasy, but her suspense is fantastic. The characters come alive, and they are believable in their conflicts with the outside world. I hope that I can be as prolific a writer as she.
Angela Olsen
Aug 06, 2011 Angela Olsen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
not one of the better books by andre norton, bu it wasnt agony to read. it was just a bit too predictable and sort of dated, but maybe that was what she was going for? hmm... maybe not.
Donna
Apr 03, 2013 Donna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was apparently Andre Norton's first published book & a good effort. Obviously written for teenagers, it was an enjoyable if not outstanding read.
Dwer
Nov 30, 2008 Dwer rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: f-sf
An Andre Norton juvenile, and an early one at that. I enjoy a lot of Norton's works, including juveniles, and some may enjoy this, but not I
Rob Roy
Nov 21, 2009 Rob Roy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: contemporary-lit
One of Andre Norton's first books, and not science fiction. It is a mystery set around New Orleans in the 30's. A fun read.
John
Jun 13, 2011 John rated it really liked it
Shelves: unknown, ebook
Grade B-. Not SciFi. Sort of historical, teen in the 1930s I think.
Lindsay
Dec 20, 2010 Lindsay rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, z2010, america, kindle
Interesting book, although it did stretch belief at times.
Anne Seebach
Jun 09, 2013 Anne Seebach rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An old-fashioned but enjoyable romp.
bluetyson
Ralestone Luck by Andre Norton (2000)
J.E.S. Hays
J.E.S. Hays rated it really liked it
Jul 18, 2016
Joe Gonzales
Joe Gonzales rated it liked it
Jul 04, 2016
M Beal
M Beal rated it liked it
Jul 01, 2016
Brandon Longstreth
Brandon Longstreth marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2016
Fina
Fina rated it really liked it
Jun 26, 2016
Rentara
Rentara marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2016
Gene
Gene marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2016
John
John marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2016
  • Chicks 'n Chained Males (Chicks in Chainmail, #3)
  • The Eternal Savage: Nu of the Neocene
  • The Year's Best Science Fiction: Sixteenth Annual Collection
  • Ensign Flandry (Flandry, #1)
  • Beginning Operations: A Sector General Omnibus (Sector General, #1-3)
  • Crime Spells
  • Now and Forever: Somewhere a Band Is Playing & Leviathan '99
  • The Losers / High Hunt
  • Quest to Riverworld (Riverworld)
  • The End of the Whole Mess, and Other Stories
  • The Lost Girls of Johnson's Bayou
  • Section 8 (Jim Vaughn, #1)
  • Burning Tower
  • The Hunting of the Snark
  • Fast Ships, Black Sails
  • Hope of Earth (Geodyssey, #3)
  • Werehunter
Alice Mary Norton always had an affinity to the humanities. She started writing in her teens, inspired by a charismatic high school teacher. First contacts with the publishing world led her, as many other contemporary female writers targeting a male-dominated market, to choose a literary pseudonym. In 1934 she legally changed her name to Andre Alice. The androgynous Andre doesn't really say "male" ...more
More about Andre Norton...