Start by marking “Ralestone Luck” as Want to Read:

Ralestone Luck

3.6 of 5 stars 3.60  ·  rating details  ·  184 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Great adventure novel!
Kindle Edition
Published (first published 1938)

To ask other readers questions about Ralestone Luck, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ralestone Luck

Jim
Product Description

Her brother Val watched the gas gage on the instrument board of the roadster fluctuate wildly as the attendant of the station shook the hose to speed the flow of the last few drops.

About the Author

For well over a half century, Andre Norton has been one of the most popular science fiction and fantasy authors in the world. Since her first SF novels were published in the 1940s, her adventure SF has enthralled readers young and old. With series such as_ Time Traders, Solar Qu

Johnnie
A fun and short book. the characters are rather dated and some of the culture is out of date but a fun story and a bit of mystery. Always helps if it is good writer who makes the characters come alive. The Ralestone is a lost sword and the purpose of an old family heritage. There is a story of restored glory for an old Bayou Family, complete with scalawags, lawyers, swamp foxes and old slaves still loyal to the "old ways". A simple "all's well" in the end. As a side note, I think I read this in ...more
Serena
This was a odd sort of book, I must admit; it's historic, about three siblings moving into a house (their ancestral home, in fact) and the mystery which surrounds it. The elder brother was a red headed writer (but hiding it), the middle brother a dark haired air pilot who crashed and hurt himself, and the red haired sister a spitfire. There were "Red Ralestones" and "Black Ralestones" with that meaning; their family's Luck has gone missing.

(The Luck ends up being a sword).

This is a mystery abo
Tasha
Not my thing, although if I was the age of the book's intended audience (MG) I probably would have enjoyed it more.
Freadizt StupiT
55/100. A casual "mystery-ish" story for not too small children.
Sara Bean
Okay, so it was first published in in 1938...nonetheless, the racial stereotypes are pretty freakin' gross. If not for those, this would be a fun little mystery/adventure story.
Valerie
This is Norton's 1st published work, copyrighted in 1938, when Norton was still in her late teens.

Given that Norton spent little time in bayou country (as far as I can tell), there are a few glaring errors (underground tunnels in the area would be underwater, for example, unless the house was up on a rare rise of land). Still, a creditable first effort.
B. Zedan
Sep 03, 2008 B. Zedan rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Folks who like the lightness of YA and the skill of Norton
It could almost be Gothic, if it weren't as light hearted as the Boxcar Children. The last scions of the Ralestone family, penniless and uprooted, return to their old family home in the States. There's all sorts of intrigue and mystery and sass.
Nona Mae King
I know she is known cor her sci-fi or fantasy, but her suspense is fantastic. The characters come alive, and they are believable in their conflicts with the outside world. I hope that I can be as prolific a writer as she.
Angela Olsen
not one of the better books by andre norton, bu it wasnt agony to read. it was just a bit too predictable and sort of dated, but maybe that was what she was going for? hmm... maybe not.
Donna
This was apparently Andre Norton's first published book & a good effort. Obviously written for teenagers, it was an enjoyable if not outstanding read.
Dwer
An Andre Norton juvenile, and an early one at that. I enjoy a lot of Norton's works, including juveniles, and some may enjoy this, but not I
Rob Roy
One of Andre Norton's first books, and not science fiction. It is a mystery set around New Orleans in the 30's. A fun read.
John
Grade B-. Not SciFi. Sort of historical, teen in the 1930s I think.
Lindsay
Interesting book, although it did stretch belief at times.
Anne Seebach
An old-fashioned but enjoyable romp.
bluetyson
Ralestone Luck by Andre Norton (2000)
Neva
Neva marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2014
Nancy Peterson
Nancy Peterson is currently reading it
Dec 19, 2014
Anders
Anders marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2014
Gene
Gene marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2014
Keith Stone
Keith Stone marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2014
Seiran
Seiran marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2014
  • Chicks 'n Chained Males (Chicks in Chainmail, #3)
  • Ensign Flandry (Flandry, #1)
  • Beginning Operations: A Sector General Omnibus (Sector General, #1-3)
  • The Year's Best Science Fiction: Sixteenth Annual Collection
  • Now and Forever: Somewhere a Band Is Playing & Leviathan '99
  • Masters Of Space
  • The Losers / High Hunt
  • Section 8 (Jim Vaughn, #1)
  • The Hunting Of The Snark
  • Fast Ships, Black Sails
  • Quest to Riverworld (Riverworld)
  • The Lost Girls of Johnson's Bayou
  • Gold: The Final Science Fiction Collection
  • N-Space
  • The End of the Whole Mess, and Other Stories
  • Werehunter
  • The Two Faces of Tomorrow
  • Hope of Earth (Geodyssey, #3)
Alice Mary Norton always had an affinity to the humanities. She started writing in her teens, inspired by a charismatic high school teacher. First contacts with the publishing world led her, as many other contemporary female writers targeting a male-dominated market, to choose a literary pseudonym. In 1934 she legally changed her name to Andre Alice. The androgynous Andre doesn't really say "male" ...more
More about Andre Norton...
The Elvenbane (Halfblood Chronicles, #1) Elvenblood (Halfblood Chronicles, #2) Elvenborn (Halfblood Chronicles, #3) Witch World (Witch World Series 1: Estcarp Cycle, #1) The Time Traders (Time Traders/ Ross Murdock, #1)