Start by marking “Gut and Psychology Syndrome: Natural Treatment for Autism, ADD/ADHD, Dyslexia, Dyspraxia, Depression, Schizophrenia” as Want to Read:

4.22  ·  Rating Details ·  1,448 Ratings  ·  140 Reviews
Dr. Natasha Campbell-McBride set up The Cambridge Nutrition Clinic in 1998. As a parent of a child diagnosed with learning difficulties, she was acutely aware of the difficulties facing other parents like her, and she has devoted much of her time to helping these families. She realised that nutrition played a critical role in helping children and adults to overcome their ...more
Published September 29th 2004 by Medinform Publishing (first published September 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Gut and Psychology Syndrome, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gut and Psychology Syndrome

Jeniann
Jan 18, 2012 Jeniann rated it it was amazing
I wrote a glowing review of this book two years ago, and since then many people have read my review and commented on it, many of whom I do not know, I feel that I must change my review somewhat at this point so that what I have learned can be helpful to others.
As I initially stated in my review, the concepts in this book have tremendous potential for healing gut problems. Within months of starting this type of diet, my son finally got rid of the chronic diarrhea that plagued him his whole life,
Brad Belschner
Mar 27, 2014 Brad Belschner rated it it was ok
Shelves: health
I now realize the science behind this book is rather... unsubstantiated. Most people will do more harm to themselves than good by following the dietary advice in this book. If you've read this book, or you're considering reading it, I strongly encourage you to get a book or two from Matt Stone instead. His research is far superior and gives much better results.
Lisa C
May 09, 2012 Lisa C rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: if you have any condition on book cover or combo of gut/mental health issues
Shelves: health
This book blew me away with information I had never heard before. It really drove home to me because I have clearly had the GAPS condition all my life. So many puzzle pieces put together for me. It may not be the answer for everything or everyone, but in the niche of where gut disorders and psychological disorders meet, this is one solid book. I've been following the protocol as outlined in the book and I am seeing major improvements in my physical and mental health.

I only recommend that if you
Rochelle
Oct 28, 2013 Rochelle rated it did not like it
Any book that uses Andrew Wakefield as a legitimate source loses, well, all credibility with me.
As much as I'd love to find a natural treatment to ADHD, a book that sites a former doctor who published fraudulent research which sent the vaccine world all a-tizzy, that blames bottle-feeding moms for not establishing the "flora" in their infant's guts, and then later blames breastfeeding moms for passing along harmful bacteria is clearly not for me.
Martha Love
Dec 22, 2015 Martha Love rated it it was amazing
Dr. Natasha Campbell-McBride has done an excellent job of explaining how people with GAP have a compromised immune system and how to heal these deficiencies through diet. Although my family seems to have healthy guts, I have learned so much by reading her book that will surely help to keep us all healthy. There is a wealth of information in this book about maintaining gut health through diet. Here are three of the tips I have begun putting into practice that I never thought of before reading her ...more
Caroline Benson
Dec 04, 2013 Caroline Benson rated it it was amazing
A key book to understanding the link between our guts (our second brain) and the state of our brain.
It focuses on the importance of intestinal flora for the maintenance of good health, including mental health.
Her experience is priceless and the hundreds of cases treated for all kinds of diseases or mental disorders are revealing.
Mother of a vegetarian child, hyperactive with attention deficit disorder (ADHD) I was particularly sensitive to the arguments of Dr. Campbell and reading this book was
Angie Libert
Aug 17, 2012 Angie Libert rated it it was amazing
I LOVE LOVE LOVE this book. I have read it before and I will reread it again because it is so full of answers to all of my questions. Why are people allergic to food and pollen and animals, when God made both for our enjoyment? What is up with autism and dyslexia? Are ADD and ADHD real? Why are most Americans on anti-depressants? Why would God make a child with Type 1 Diabetes? How do you overcome Candida and other gut problems? What is going on here with all of these illnesses?! Well, the ...more
Amber
Sep 13, 2013 Amber rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: health
Hands down the best book on health and nutrition I have ever read. I've only been on the diet for 2 weeks, but have already lost 8lbs. I've had a rash on my forehead for years, and it is gone. As a bonus, I think the gelatin is improving my skin. I have horrible stretch marks, and they look and feel greatly improved. I didn't even know that was possible. The book has a lot of technical information, but is presented in a way the lay person can understand. I was very skeptical about all the meat ...more
Sam
Mar 23, 2011 Sam rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was really amazing to hear Natasha speak at a conference I went to recently. Her position is that all (or basically all) ailments of the body (and, as the title suggests, mind) are the result of a poorly functioning digestive system. She offers (an extremely challenging but temporary) diet to heal the gut and recover. Her work began when she realized her son was autistic. The diet is full of unprocessed foods, bone broths, and fermented and probiotic foods. It avoids sugars, starch, and food ...more
Karen
May 05, 2011 Karen rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone with severe health issues
5.5 This book is a MUST READ for, well, pretty much anyone. It is critical reading for anyone who has a family/personal history of auto-immune disorders, gut disorder(IBS/Diabetes/Chrons etc) depression, bi-polar, schizophrenia, ADD/ADHD or Autism. This book will absolutely change your world and your life.

For someone who does not have a significant health issue, this book will still change your entire viewpoint about food and how it relates to your health. While following the GAPS protocol is no
Iona  Stewart
Sep 01, 2012 Iona Stewart rated it it was amazing
This is an invaluable book, which has provided me with essential information.

The author, Dr. Campbell-McBride, is a specialist in the gut. She states that all diseases stem from an imbalanced gut, The present epidemic in children of ADHD/ADD, dyspraxia (extreme clumsiness), dyslexia, autism, allergies, etc. etc. all stem from a gut disorder/compromised immune system.

She terms this gut disorder “Gut and Psychology Syndrome”, or GAPS. Those suffering from schizophrenia also belong to this group,
Heatherz
Mar 22, 2012 Heatherz rated it really liked it
After over two years of trying different versions of the hypoallergenic diet, this book gave us clues for how to live a more normal life, without further experimentation in removing foods or adding supplements. *We did not follow the Specific Carbohydrate Diet (SCD) promoted in the book.* However, the advice for nutrition and probiotic therapy were invaluable.

Best points taken:
-It is essential to heal a leaky gut. If that doesn't happen, no matter what food is removed, there will still be health
Betsy
Sep 12, 2012 Betsy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: health-wellness, 2012
GAPS diet - I'd been hoping to heal celiac without resorting to this remedy, but the time has come. We're doing it. SO tired of dealing with this exact problem right here:

"The reason for allergies and food intolerances is so-called "leaky gut" when the gut lining is damaged by abnormal micro flora. Foods do not get the chance to be digested properly before they get absorbed through this damaged wall and cause the immune system to react to them. Many people try to identify which foods they react
Yahoo-Eleanor Rizzo
Jul 01, 2011 Yahoo-Eleanor Rizzo rated it it was amazing
This book can be a little hard to penetrate, but it's worth it. Although the title seems to claim too much, apparently touting a magic solution to all problems, once you read the book and understand the connections between diet and brain health, it makes sense. Not included in the title, are the additional benefits of this diet in terms of digestive issues and food allergies. Furthermore, based on my own independent reading, Dr. Campbell-McBride's nutritional claims appear to be supported by old ...more
Angela Boord
Feb 18, 2010 Angela Boord rated it really liked it
I'm not sure I will ever try to put the whole GAPS diet into practice here because none of my kids are autistic and our other problems (asthma, allergies, ADHD) are probably on the milder side of those the author addresses. But this was the first book I've ever read about special diets for psychological conditions that make logical scientific sense to me. Her basic premise is that abnormal gut flora leads to a poisoning of a person's whole system, including the brain, and that the main goal in ...more
Hilary
Oct 16, 2014 Hilary rated it did not like it
I didn't even finish this book. When the first reference is to Dr. Andrew Wakefield, a British physician who was stripped of his medical license for falsifying information about autism linked to the MMR vaccine as well as subjecting children to unneeded major medical procedures, you lose me. I can guess from what I've read so far that the science behind this is just as good as science behind Wakefield's claims.
Leah
May 13, 2011 Leah rated it liked it
The information in the book is fascinating and intuitively sensible. I'm going to do the diet to try to clear autoimmune symptoms. The writing is fairly clear but surprisingly technical in some places and I feel the book is poorly organized and kind of choppy. I love the content, but I was expecting more of a book with such rave reviews.
Stephanie
Apr 21, 2015 Stephanie rated it really liked it
Brilliant, but the question is, am I strong enough to do it?!? 4 stars instead of 5 stars because healing your gut should be flipping easier and I am officially depressed. ;)
Janell
Apr 01, 2011 Janell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The best description of how the intestines work that I have ever read.
Joshua Horn
Jul 28, 2015 Joshua Horn rated it did not like it
This book proposes that nearly every psychological issue under the sun, including autism, ADHD, depression, and schizophrenia, are caused by an imbalance of bacteria in the gut.

I have a foundational problem with blaming mental problems on physical causes. The Bible tells us how to deal with many of them, and it never blames food or a chemical inballance for the problem. The depressed and cast down soul is told to hope in God and be anxious for nothing, not to cut sugar and carbohydrates out of
Kristen
Dec 08, 2014 Kristen rated it really liked it
Read most of this book after Thanksgiving, skipping unrelated chapters. What better time to try bone broth for the first time?

The diet suggestions make sense with the background she provides. I was particularly interested in the specifics of what different flora imbalances will do in the body, rather than the typical hand-waving description of "toxins" that is so often used. I'm a bit skeptical about her "sensitivity test" idea, however.

Though some of the recipes are a little "out there" for me
Tom Lindsey
Nov 16, 2014 Tom Lindsey rated it it was amazing
This book changed my life. This book changed my brother's life.

I was sick and this book taught me how to fix it. I had an appendectomy in 2002. I was sick for 10 years after the surgery. I was getting worse. I tried cooking for myself from Nourishing Traditions. I stopped getting worse, but I wasn't getting better.

I switched to GAPS. I lost 49 lbs (I've since regained 25 of that but a lot of that is new muscle). I got better.

I had to read this book 3 times in order to be able to follow how to
Steve
Sep 09, 2010 Steve rated it really liked it
An interesting book on the plethora of new syndromes and isms that seem to be increasing in their frequency, especially amongst children: Autism,ADD/ADHD,Dyslexia,Dyspraxia,Depression,Schizophrenia etc.

Dr Campbell-McBride locates the source in poor diet, processed foods and a host of related phyical and dietary causes.

Clearly mind and body are inter-related and it seems perfectly plausible that poor diet will have psychological and mental effects.

But, maybe she underplays the effects of social d
Nikki
Jan 14, 2012 Nikki rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, health, food
Despite everything else I've read about food and nutrition in the last year, I couldn't put this book down. It filled in so many of the gaps (pun intended) in my research, finally explaining the connections I'd suspected between gut flora and all our health issues. We aren't dealing with autism in our house, but I'm thinking of trying her diet to deal with food intolerances, bedwetting, etc, and I would HIGHLY recommend this to anyone with any digestive issues at all. Even if you don't do the ...more
Janice
Oct 27, 2011 Janice rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own-it, non-fiction
This book has changed the life of our son. I cannot recommend this book highly enough for those caring for someone on the autism spectrum. I cannot express exactly how much of a blessing this book has been to our family. Because of the GAPS diet, we are recovering our son from autism. Can I give this book 20 stars somehow?
Esther
Sep 15, 2011 Esther rated it really liked it
pretty interesting, I doubt I would do the full GAPS diet any time soon, but that said, her ideas and logic sure make sense. A bit on the technical side, but I learned a lot and have already decided to make some changes to simplify our diets even more to be further away from processed foods. it also gave me the motivation to cook a whole chicken and use the stock to make some soup!
Kristen
Jun 12, 2009 Kristen rated it it was amazing
Listed everything we are going through digestion/gut wise. Plan on implementing this full force when we return from vacation to get rid of yeast and allergy issues once and for ALL! Love that this is Weston A Price based/friendly too.
Inspired Kathy
Aug 04, 2011 Inspired Kathy rated it it was amazing
Fascinating! I highly recommend this book to anyone seriously looking for natural alternatives to mental and physical health challenges.
Uröš Mikolič
Oct 29, 2016 Uröš Mikolič rated it really liked it
Some parts are repeating itself, but other then that it is a very good book about the basics of our health. More people should be aware of the importance of their microbiota and health risk of modern food ... a must read for everyone who want's to discover the basics of a healthy gut which should be of great. importance especiall for kids and people who ahve chroncal gut/psyche problems.
Justin
Oct 20, 2016 Justin rated it really liked it
A very thorough overview of digestion and how it effects several conditions.
Since most of the book is about the diet this book feels like it was too long.
I found what to eat and what most useful and that could've been summarized in a chapter or two.
On the other hand, much of the information I skipped would be quite useful to someone who hadn't read it already elsewhere.
  • Nutrition and Physical Degeneration: A Comparison of Primitive and Modern Diets and Their Effects
  • Breaking the Vicious Cycle: Intestinal Health Through Diet
  • Know Your Fats: The Complete Primer for Understanding the Nutrition of Fats, Oils and Cholesterol
  • Deep Nutrition: Why Your Genes Need Traditional Food
  • Eat Fat, Lose Fat: The Healthy Alternative to Trans Fats
  • Cure Tooth Decay: Heal and Prevent Cavities with Nutrition
  • Adrenal Fatigue: The 21st Century Stress Syndrome
  • The Diet Cure
  • Digestive Wellness: How to Strengthen the Immune System and Prevent Disease Through Healthy Digestion
  • The Untold Story of Milk: Green Pastures, Contented Cows and Raw Dairy Products
  • Sugar Blues
  • Life Without Bread: How a Low-Carbohydrate Diet Can Save Your Life
  • Fats That Heal, Fats That Kill
  • Dangerous Grains
  • The Magnesium Miracle (Revised and Updated)
  • Primal Body, Primal Mind: Beyond the Paleo Diet for Total Health and a Longer Life
  • Excitotoxins: The Taste that Kills
  • Herbal Antibiotics: Natural Alternatives for Treating Drug Resistant Bacteria (Storey Medicinal Herb Guide)
Dr. Natasha Campbell-McBride holds a degree in Medicine and Postgraduate degrees in both Neurology and Human Nutrition. In her clinic in Cambridge she specializes in nutrition for children and adults with behavioral and learning disabilities, and adults with digestive and immune system disorders.

Dr. Campbell-McBride set up The Cambridge Nutrition Clinic in 1998. As a parent of a child diagnosed wi
More about Natasha Campbell-McBride...