Start by marking “Gai See: What You See in Chinatown” as Want to Read:
Gai See: What You See in Chinatown

Gai See: What You See in Chinatown

3.77  ·  Rating Details  ·  31 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
Follows a little boy as he shops with his family members throughout the seasons and discovers the magical curiousities found there - from fresh noodles and velvety slippers in the springtime, to tofu and tanks of fish in the summer, and from incense, sweets and roasted duck in the autumn to herbs and vegetables in the winter.
Published July 1st 2007 by Harry N. Abrams (first published May 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Gai See, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gai See

A
Nov 29, 2008 A rated it liked it
A rhyming story about the sights and foods at a colorful Chinatown market.

Ages 3-8

A "gai see", as I discovered when I found a glossary in the back of this book because I wanted to check that my contextual understanding of the first sentence was correct, is a street market where vendors sell their wares in stalls, from pushcarts, and in stores. This colorful picture book conveys the bustling atmosphere in a Chinatown market, and illustrates the many foods and accessories that can be found there a
Tanja
Dec 17, 2015 Tanja rated it really liked it
Finally got a chance to listen to (and enjoy the images of) this beautiful story which captures Hong Kong street markets so beautifully - and I even got to hear it read by the author herself and learned more about the creative process and the inspiration for the book. Happy to have my own signed copy now and a copy on our library shelves. I have no doubt it will become a much requested book in our library.
Christine Turner
Take a charming tour of Chinatown! What in the world could you possibly see at an oldgai see, just you and me on a warm and easy, slightly breezy springtime Saturday morning? In Cantonese,gai seemeans street market, the lively place where vendors sell all their goods from open-air stalls, pushcarts, and stores. Join a curious little boy as he shops at the market with his family in every season and discovers many special treasures. From noodles in the spring to dragon fruit in the summer, from ch ...more
Jessica Maddox
Title: Gai See: What Do You See in Chinatown?
Author: Roseanne Thong
Illustrator: Yangsook Choi
Genre: Picture Book
Annotation:
Discussion Questions:
Juliej
Feb 07, 2011 Juliej rated it really liked it
We loved the rhymes and the introduction of so many things Chinese taught through the change of seasons. Gai see is a street market in Cantonese. The short book introduces food like cheong-fun (wide noodles), dragon fruit and money packets. Great book to read for Chinese New Year.
Karla
May 15, 2009 Karla rated it really liked it
With simple, yet colorful illustrations, this book introduces the reader to Chinatown. The author utilizes a cheery rhyming style to lead us through the seasons and what can be found at a gai-see. Glossary included in the back.
Danielle
Dec 20, 2013 Danielle rated it really liked it
This book covers many topics. It is a rhyming story about different seasons at a Gai See, or a street market. It has bright colors and nice pictures that are easy for kids in a group to see.
Po
Apr 01, 2010 Po rated it it was amazing
I have read several books by this author and I think this is my favorite. It's fun to read, introduces your kids to new things and makes you want to run out and try new things.
Jane
A standard story about two siblings exploring the street market in Chinatown. Yangsook Choi's illustrations are distinctive.
Chad
Sep 21, 2013 Chad rated it really liked it
Subtle show and tell of NYC's Chinatown in rhyme form. Covers a lot of cultural bases for kids of other cultures...
Julia Coolman
Julia Coolman rated it really liked it
Dec 31, 2015
Leslie Fisher
Leslie Fisher rated it really liked it
Nov 10, 2015
Scott
Scott rated it really liked it
Oct 29, 2015
Kristin
Kristin rated it it was amazing
Oct 07, 2015
Desiree Frias
Desiree Frias rated it liked it
May 17, 2015
M.H.
M.H. marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2015
Meike
Meike marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2015
Tom Carter
Tom Carter rated it it was amazing
Feb 05, 2015
J.
J. rated it liked it
Jun 15, 2015
ah
ah rated it it was ok
Aug 08, 2014
Kayleigh
Kayleigh marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2014
Nolan
Nolan added it
May 13, 2014
Ayerlane
Ayerlane rated it really liked it
Apr 09, 2014
Abby Turner
Abby Turner rated it liked it
Apr 08, 2014
Amanda Funnell
Amanda Funnell marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2014
Amira Moussa
Amira Moussa marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2013
Dale Xedrik
Dale Xedrik rated it it was amazing
Sep 10, 2013