Start by marking “The Hornet's Sting: The Amazing Untold Story of World War II Spy Thomas Sneum” as Want to Read:
The Hornet's Sting: The Amazing Untold Story of World War II Spy Thomas Sneum

The Hornet's Sting: The Amazing Untold Story of World War II Spy Thomas Sneum

3.56 of 5 stars 3.56  ·  rating details  ·  135 ratings  ·  19 reviews
Assassination by crossbow, refueling homemade planes in mid-air, mother and daughter seduction—Allied spy Tommy Sneum did it all during World War II. The exploits of the Danish-born spy made him a legend in espionage circles. But until now, the full, extraordinary story of Sneum’s action-packed career as a British-run spy has never been told.

From his incredible escape fr
Published February 1st 2011 by Skyhorse Publishing (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Hornet's Sting, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Hornet's Sting

Amanda
I picked this book up during a kindle sale because I’m a big WWII buff and who doesn’t love real life spy stories? I thought it was a sure bet, but apparently even a true life spy story can be written in a dull manner.

It’s impossible to read the book without learning a lot. For instance, I had no idea that Britain had two different spy agencies that were battling each other for control of spying missions. Similarly, I didn’t know it was common practice to take people who had escaped from behind
Kevin
A book about the Danish World War 2 spy Thomas Sneum. An interesting read, though the adulation for the man seems to be over the top. Was he heroic? Probably. Was he scummy? Definitely.
Lee Ann
My favorite genre is science fiction fantasy, so I can take those leaps of faith while reading in order to get past "reality." Then I read Mark Ryan's The Hornet's Sting. I just could not take it seriously.

Don't get me wrong, it was interesting. It was just leaned toward unbelievable.

The book is the story of Thomas Sneum, a Dane who served as a British spy during World War II. His life as a spy in German-controlled Denmark was amazingly close to James Bond--at one point Sneum actually refuels
Ray Lucas
I really enjoyed this book and the tales of a country that many forget were so actively involved and affected by World War II.
Lee
This book tells the story of Thomas Sneum a British SIS agent who brought secret information pertaining to Nazi radar installations over to the British in a James Bond like escape in an old plane where he had to climb out on the wing to refuel over the English Channel. Sent back to Denmark by SIS he helped sent up a spy network that sent the British helpful information throughout the war. Unfortunately he was caught up in the turn battle between the SIS and SOE and was thrown in jail upon his re ...more
Peter
This book needed a good editor! At 357 pages it was a somewhat tedious telling of what could have instead been a pretty good 250 page book. Just too much idle speculation of 'what could have happened' if a specific detail of any given spy mission had gone wrong.
Rhonda
Great book. Amazing to see that the sort of government politics that allow one agency to compete with another allowing BOTH to lose sight of the big picture were just as responsible for getting agents killed in WWII as they were getting civilians killed in 911.
Ray
Again, another unknown story from the war. These stories always make me wonder if I would have had the fortitude shown by people like Thomas Sneum and others during the occupation of Denmark and other events during the war.
Mikkel Eilenberg
En bog til alle der er interesseret i spionage, historie eller bare ønsker at læse om en kompliceret landsmand, liv og tanker… En bog der i den grad afliver nogle af de firkantet holdning omkring Danmark i 40erne…
Laura Duggan
It was fascinating to read about these true events. Truth is sometimes crazier and more unbelievable than fiction. Not much has changed in the past 70 years with politics and countries' views of each other.
April Wilkerson
May 13, 2012 April Wilkerson marked it as never-finished
I put this aside and just haven't picked it back up, so I'm going to retire it to my never-finished shelf and maybe come back to it later.
Jan
YAWN! He's an egotistical jerk, who put other people in danger to feed his own need for adrenaline. Couldn't finish it.
Kent Carpenter
In depth story of Danish spy in WWII. Great stories of infighting between England's intelligence organizations.
Terri
This was a very powerful book about some very brave men who took valiant chances for their country during WWII.
Jim
Tommy Sneum was definitely a courageous fella....and he was a Playa.
Teresa
It was good but a little hard to get into at times.
Michael Long
I really enjoyed this one. You know how I am about history.
Erik
The book has some really good parts surronede by parts that put me to sleep...I say only read if it you are really into WWII spys who wonder around the countryside.
David Wright
David Wright marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2014
Diane Bowman
Diane Bowman marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2014
Ariel
Ariel marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2014
Novalis
Novalis marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2014
Amelia R
Amelia R marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Red Orchestra: The Story of the Berlin Underground and the Circle of Friends Who Resisted Hitler
  • The Wolves at the Door: The True Story of America's Greatest Female Spy
  • The New Nobility: The Restoration of Russia's Security State and the Enduring Legacy of the KGB
  • Between Silk and Cyanide: A Codemaker's War, 1941-1945
  • Tiger Trap: America's Secret Spy War with China
  • The Sword and the Shield: The Mitrokhin Archive & the Secret History of the KGB
  • The Few: The American "Knights of the Air" Who Risked Everything to Fight in the Battle of Britain
  • Quartered Safe Out Here: A Harrowing Tale of World War II
  • AMERICA THE VULNERABLE: Inside the New Threat Matrix of Digital Espionage, Crime, and Warfare
  • Blackett's War: The Men Who Defeated the Nazi U-Boats and Brought Science to the Art of Warfare
  • They Dared Return: An Epic Story of Jewish Refugees Who Escaped Nazi Germany, But Returned for Vengeance
  • No Greater Ally: The Untold Story of Poland's Forces in World War II
  • The Secret Life of Bletchley Park
  • A Life In Secrets: Vera Atkins and the Missing Agents of WWII
  • Donnie Brasco: Unfinished Business
  • Sisterhood of Spies
  • Washington Goes to War
  • Enigma: The Battle for the Code
Librarian Note: There is more than one author by this name in the Goodreads data base.
More about Mark Ryan...
The Wildwood Tarot: Wherein Wisdom Resides The Greenwood Tarot Justine Henin Running with Fire: The True Story of 'Chariots of Fire' Hero Harold Abrahams Tie-Break!: Justine Henin-Hardenne, Tragedy & Triumph