Start by marking “The Hornet's Sting: The Amazing Untold Story of World War II Spy Thomas Sneum” as Want to Read:
The Hornet's Sting: The Amazing Untold Story of World War II Spy Thomas Sneum

The Hornet's Sting: The Amazing Untold Story of World War II Spy Thomas Sneum

Assassination by crossbow, refueling homemade planes in mid-air, mother and daughter seduction—Allied spy Tommy Sneum did it all during World War II. The exploits of the Danish-born spy made him a legend in espionage circles. But until now, the full, extraordinary story of Sneum’s action-packed career as a British-run spy has never been told.

From his incredible escape fr
Published February 1st 2011 by Skyhorse Publishing (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Hornet's Sting, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Hornet's Sting

Bob Ryan
Mar 21, 2015 Bob Ryan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book far exceeded my expectations. I selected it almost at random to satisfy a book club requirement. A true story about Thomas Sneun, a Danish air pilot who when ordered not to fight when Germany invaded Denmark at the beginning of WWI, became one of Britain's most important spies in the early years of the war.

A very interesting part of the story is the relationship between Sneun, the British Intelligence Service and the Danish covert agencies trying to establish an effective spy network
Kevin
Jul 05, 2012 Kevin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A book about the Danish World War 2 spy Thomas Sneum. An interesting read, though the adulation for the man seems to be over the top. Was he heroic? Probably. Was he scummy? Definitely.
Jan
Nov 07, 2011 Jan rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
YAWN! He's an egotistical jerk, who put other people in danger to feed his own need for adrenaline. Couldn't finish it.
Gurjinder
Feb 25, 2017 Gurjinder rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I learned about Tommy Snuem during my trip to Denmark a couple of years ago but this book really puts his story to life. Whether he's a hero or traitor is besides the point, it's a fascinating story about courage, bravery, and dedicated.
Amanda
I picked this book up during a kindle sale because I’m a big WWII buff and who doesn’t love real life spy stories? I thought it was a sure bet, but apparently even a true life spy story can be written in a dull manner.

It’s impossible to read the book without learning a lot. For instance, I had no idea that Britain had two different spy agencies that were battling each other for control of spying missions. Similarly, I didn’t know it was common practice to take people who had escaped from behind
Linda
Oct 05, 2016 Linda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's surprising how many stories we still have never heard about the "ordinary" people
involved in war resistance in WWII. This book shows how someone who is not a perfect
person, who would never have been expected to do amazing things at such a young age
was very instrumental in winning an extremely important war. I loved the book.
Lee Ann
Jun 25, 2010 Lee Ann rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: world-war-ii
My favorite genre is science fiction fantasy, so I can take those leaps of faith while reading in order to get past "reality." Then I read Mark Ryan's The Hornet's Sting. I just could not take it seriously.

Don't get me wrong, it was interesting. It was just leaned toward unbelievable.

The book is the story of Thomas Sneum, a Dane who served as a British spy during World War II. His life as a spy in German-controlled Denmark was amazingly close to James Bond--at one point Sneum actually refuels
Lee
This book tells the story of Thomas Sneum a British SIS agent who brought secret information pertaining to Nazi radar installations over to the British in a James Bond like escape in an old plane where he had to climb out on the wing to refuel over the English Channel. Sent back to Denmark by SIS he helped sent up a spy network that sent the British helpful information throughout the war. Unfortunately he was caught up in the turn battle between the SIS and SOE and was thrown in jail upon his re ...more
Ray
Jan 03, 2012 Ray rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Again, another unknown story from the war. These stories always make me wonder if I would have had the fortitude shown by people like Thomas Sneum and others during the occupation of Denmark and other events during the war.
Peter
Jun 30, 2010 Peter rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book needed a good editor! At 357 pages it was a somewhat tedious telling of what could have instead been a pretty good 250 page book. Just too much idle speculation of 'what could have happened' if a specific detail of any given spy mission had gone wrong.
Mikkel Eilenberg
Jul 30, 2011 Mikkel Eilenberg rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history, biography
En bog til alle der er interesseret i spionage, historie eller bare ønsker at læse om en kompliceret landsmand, liv og tanker… En bog der i den grad afliver nogle af de firkantet holdning omkring Danmark i 40erne…
Laura Duggan
Nov 21, 2012 Laura Duggan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was fascinating to read about these true events. Truth is sometimes crazier and more unbelievable than fiction. Not much has changed in the past 70 years with politics and countries' views of each other.
Rhonda
Oct 29, 2011 Rhonda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book. Amazing to see that the sort of government politics that allow one agency to compete with another allowing BOTH to lose sight of the big picture were just as responsible for getting agents killed in WWII as they were getting civilians killed in 911.
Erik
Jun 15, 2009 Erik rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book has some really good parts surronede by parts that put me to sleep...I say only read if it you are really into WWII spys who wonder around the countryside.
Terri
May 17, 2013 Terri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a very powerful book about some very brave men who took valiant chances for their country during WWII.
Ray Lucas
Aug 30, 2014 Ray Lucas rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-nook
I really enjoyed this book and the tales of a country that many forget were so actively involved and affected by World War II.
Andy Wilkerson
Sep 17, 2011 Andy Wilkerson marked it as never-finished
I put this aside and just haven't picked it back up, so I'm going to retire it to my never-finished shelf and maybe come back to it later.
Kent Carpenter
Feb 02, 2011 Kent Carpenter rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In depth story of Danish spy in WWII. Great stories of infighting between England's intelligence organizations.
Radu Ionescu
Radu Ionescu rated it really liked it
Jul 29, 2014
c. eric wilson
c. eric wilson rated it it was amazing
Nov 16, 2014
Marylyn Rands
Marylyn Rands rated it really liked it
Dec 09, 2015
Randy
Randy rated it liked it
May 19, 2014
Alvals
Alvals rated it liked it
Jan 14, 2014
Steen Alexander
Steen Alexander rated it really liked it
Jun 05, 2016
Tara
Tara rated it liked it
Jul 26, 2012
Sarah rated it it was amazing
Jul 22, 2012
Margo Barlow
Margo Barlow rated it it was amazing
Jul 02, 2014
Tom
Tom rated it really liked it
Jul 25, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Red Orchestra: The Story of the Berlin Underground and the Circle of Friends Who Resisted Hitler
  • Roosevelt's Secret War: FDR and World War II Espionage
  • To Kingdom Come: An Epic Saga of Survival in the Air War Over Germany
  • The Wolves at the Door: The True Story of America's Greatest Female Spy
  • Tiger Trap: America's Secret Spy War with China
  • Ernie's War: The Best of Ernie Pyle's World War II Dispatches
  • The New Nobility: The Restoration of Russia's Security State and the Enduring Legacy of the KGB
  • Serenade to the Big Bird
  • War Beneath The Sea
  • Blackett's War: The Men Who Defeated the Nazi U-Boats and Brought Science to the Art of Warfare
  • Last of the Few: The Battle of Britain in the Words of the Pilots Who Won It
  • Between Silk and Cyanide: A Codemaker's War, 1941-1945
  • Lonely Vigil: Coastwatchers of the Solomons
  • Forgotten Sacrifice: The Arctic Convoys of World War II
  • Breaking the Code: A Father's Secret, a Daughter's Journey, and the Question That Changed Everything
  • America the Vulnerable: Inside the New Threat Matrix of Digital Espionage, Crime, and Warfare
  • The Admirals: Nimitz, Halsey, Leahy, and King—the Five-Star Admirals Who Won the War at Sea
  • The Sword and the Shield: The Mitrokhin Archive & the Secret History of the KGB
Librarian Note: There is more than one author by this name in the Goodreads data base.
More about Mark Ryan...