Start by marking “The Hornet's Sting: The Amazing Untold Story of World War II Spy Thomas Sneum” as Want to Read:
The Hornet's Sting: The Amazing Untold Story of World War II Spy Thomas Sneum

The Hornet's Sting: The Amazing Untold Story of World War II Spy Thomas Sneum

3.6 of 5 stars 3.60  ·  rating details  ·  163 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Assassination by crossbow, refueling homemade planes in mid-air, mother and daughter seduction—Allied spy Tommy Sneum did it all during World War II. The exploits of the Danish-born spy made him a legend in espionage circles. But until now, the full, extraordinary story of Sneum’s action-packed career as a British-run spy has never been told.

From his incredible escape fr
Published February 1st 2011 by Skyhorse Publishing (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Hornet's Sting, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Hornet's Sting

Bob Ryan
This book far exceeded my expectations. I selected it almost at random to satisfy a book club requirement. A true story about Thomas Sneun, a Danish air pilot who when ordered not to fight when Germany invaded Denmark at the beginning of WWI, became one of Britain's most important spies in the early years of the war.

A very interesting part of the story is the relationship between Sneun, the British Intelligence Service and the Danish covert agencies trying to establish an effective spy network
I picked this book up during a kindle sale because I’m a big WWII buff and who doesn’t love real life spy stories? I thought it was a sure bet, but apparently even a true life spy story can be written in a dull manner.

It’s impossible to read the book without learning a lot. For instance, I had no idea that Britain had two different spy agencies that were battling each other for control of spying missions. Similarly, I didn’t know it was common practice to take people who had escaped from behind
A book about the Danish World War 2 spy Thomas Sneum. An interesting read, though the adulation for the man seems to be over the top. Was he heroic? Probably. Was he scummy? Definitely.
YAWN! He's an egotistical jerk, who put other people in danger to feed his own need for adrenaline. Couldn't finish it.
Lee Ann
My favorite genre is science fiction fantasy, so I can take those leaps of faith while reading in order to get past "reality." Then I read Mark Ryan's The Hornet's Sting. I just could not take it seriously.

Don't get me wrong, it was interesting. It was just leaned toward unbelievable.

The book is the story of Thomas Sneum, a Dane who served as a British spy during World War II. His life as a spy in German-controlled Denmark was amazingly close to James Bond--at one point Sneum actually refuels
Ray Lucas
I really enjoyed this book and the tales of a country that many forget were so actively involved and affected by World War II.
This book tells the story of Thomas Sneum a British SIS agent who brought secret information pertaining to Nazi radar installations over to the British in a James Bond like escape in an old plane where he had to climb out on the wing to refuel over the English Channel. Sent back to Denmark by SIS he helped sent up a spy network that sent the British helpful information throughout the war. Unfortunately he was caught up in the turn battle between the SIS and SOE and was thrown in jail upon his re ...more
This book needed a good editor! At 357 pages it was a somewhat tedious telling of what could have instead been a pretty good 250 page book. Just too much idle speculation of 'what could have happened' if a specific detail of any given spy mission had gone wrong.
Great book. Amazing to see that the sort of government politics that allow one agency to compete with another allowing BOTH to lose sight of the big picture were just as responsible for getting agents killed in WWII as they were getting civilians killed in 911.
Again, another unknown story from the war. These stories always make me wonder if I would have had the fortitude shown by people like Thomas Sneum and others during the occupation of Denmark and other events during the war.
Mikkel Eilenberg
En bog til alle der er interesseret i spionage, historie eller bare ønsker at læse om en kompliceret landsmand, liv og tanker… En bog der i den grad afliver nogle af de firkantet holdning omkring Danmark i 40erne…
Laura Duggan
It was fascinating to read about these true events. Truth is sometimes crazier and more unbelievable than fiction. Not much has changed in the past 70 years with politics and countries' views of each other.
Andy Wilkerson
May 13, 2012 Andy Wilkerson marked it as never-finished
I put this aside and just haven't picked it back up, so I'm going to retire it to my never-finished shelf and maybe come back to it later.
Kent Carpenter
In depth story of Danish spy in WWII. Great stories of infighting between England's intelligence organizations.
This was a very powerful book about some very brave men who took valiant chances for their country during WWII.
Tommy Sneum was definitely a courageous fella....and he was a Playa.
It was good but a little hard to get into at times.
Michael Long
I really enjoyed this one. You know how I am about history.
The book has some really good parts surronede by parts that put me to sleep...I say only read if it you are really into WWII spys who wonder around the countryside.
Jim Bradford
Jim Bradford marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2015
Paulmcdonell marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2015
Soap marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2015
Shouse marked it as to-read
Nov 03, 2015
Corbett Ekonomou
Corbett Ekonomou marked it as to-read
Oct 26, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Red Orchestra: The Story of the Berlin Underground and the Circle of Friends Who Resisted Hitler
  • The Wolves at the Door: The True Story of America's Greatest Female Spy
  • Roosevelt's Secret War: FDR and World War II Espionage
  • Ernie's War: The Best of Ernie Pyle's World War II Dispatches
  • War Beneath The Sea
  • Blackett's War: The Men Who Defeated the Nazi U-Boats and Brought Science to the Art of Warfare
  • The New Nobility: The Restoration of Russia's Security State and the Enduring Legacy of the KGB
  • Tiger Trap: America's Secret Spy War with China
  • Most Secret War
  • Between Silk and Cyanide: A Codemaker's War, 1941-1945
  • Last of the Few: The Battle of Britain in the Words of the Pilots Who Won It
  • AMERICA THE VULNERABLE: Inside the New Threat Matrix of Digital Espionage, Crime, and Warfare
  • Breaking the Code: A Father's Secret, a Daughter's Journey, and the Question That Changed Everything
  • Death Traps: The Survival of an American Armored Division in World War II
  • The Supreme Commander: The War Years of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
  • The Airmen and the Headhunters: A True Story of Lost Soldiers, Heroic Tribesmen and the Unlikeliest Rescue of World War II
  • Lonely Vigil: Coastwatchers of the Solomons
  • The Sword and the Shield: The Mitrokhin Archive & the Secret History of the KGB
Librarian Note: There is more than one author by this name in the Goodreads data base.
More about Mark Ryan...