Foreclosed: A Mitzy Neuhaus Mystery

Foreclosed: A Mitzy Neuhaus Mystery (The Mitzy Neuhaus Mysteries #1)

3.08 of 5 stars 3.08  ·  rating details  ·  511 ratings  ·  96 reviews
Alternate Cover ASIN: B003ZDP194

Mitzy Neuhaus, tall, blonde, and stuck in the 80s, might be the top selling Realtor in Portlandia, but even her office is dead in this economy. Despite her complete faith that God and common sense can fix anything, she has found herself with a full staff and nothing to do--until her favorite run down mansion gets itself foreclosed, that is.

B...more
Published October 31st 2010 by createspace

D
The author needs to cut down on her caffeine intake. This book was all over the place. There were disjointed sentences and misplaced words. Character descriptions kept changing. Also, it's not a good start when a sentence on page 9 reads "Mitzy walked on at a comfortable, contemplative pace and contemplated her situation."

The book is about a real estate mogul and the author is very good about using real estate terms but that is as far as it goes. As the entire first half of the book is a set-up...more
Trudy
Very awkward prose, misused words, grammatical errors, and an incoherent, illogical plot are just some of the problems with Foreclosed.

At first, I read on because I always try to give a book a chance to get better, but soon it became apparent that I would have to finish this book to see how bad it could get. In that regard, it did not disappoint.

Mitzy may be a perfect name for the ditzy protagonist, but calling the owner of a one-agent real estate firm Neuhaus (new house) is really over the top....more
Mary Findley
I did a search on Christian books for my new Kindle Fire, and this is one of the ones that came up. This a cute story. I liked the idea for the mystery, an old house with mysteriously missing, important furnishings, and the author is clearly knowledgeable about real estate, the field Mitzy is in. Mitzy is an employer with a good heart and a good citizen. Her antagonism toward a commercial real estate rival, Alonzo, is easier to understand when you realize how independent and competitive she has...more
Olivia B
Bait and switch preachy novel not worth the "free" pricetag

An hour into this book I did something I've never done before - put down a book in the middle of a train ride leaving me with nothing better to do than stare out the window, and to delete it off my Nook. Seriously, it was that bad. An hour in and the characters were already so flat and boring I hoped that they would be the murder victims - although for a mystery, there was a suspicious lack of ANY CRIME happening. However, there were a l...more
Elaine
I was very disappointed in this book. First, what was the mystery? The first half of the book was basically very obvious set up for the last part, but the story line was very weak and disjointed. The characters were 1 dimensional, and, please, the love interest pathetic. I do not mind reading Christian based books, but this seemed to have added the Christian theme as an afterthought. I found it annoying and distracting and added nothing to the story.
Terri
Foreclosed is one of the most boring books I ever picked up. I called it quits about halfway through it.
Connie
FORECLOSED by Traci Tyne Hilton is 230 pages. I read this one on my Kindle and it was a free book from Amazon. It is a Mitzy Neuhaus Mystery.

I did not enjoy this book very much. I thought it was just a very light mystery and if it is supposed to be Christian Fiction, I felt that fell short of the mark too. It took forever to get to the real mystery and once you were there, you didn't really care in my opinion. I know that Cozies are to be light and fun, but this was just a story in my opinion wi...more
Theresahpir
I really liked the idea of this book...a cozy mystery centered on a beautiful Queen Anne Victorian and missing Russian jewels. I was severely disappointed in its execution, though.

This just simply was NOT a well-written book. Cliches, awkward dialogue, and a plot that darted around everywhere was the least of its issues. My main complaint is the main character, real estate "mogul," Mitzy Neuhaus.

I understand that this was supposed to be a Christian based mystery and that no one, Christians inclu...more
Magiccats
Not my cup of tea. I began to wonder with the short choppy sentences at the beginning, but then it began to flow better and I started to become hopeful.

But, my word, the author put so much real estate info into the beginning that I began to ask myself, when will the story start??? And really, do I care about this info?

My answer = I don't!!

Talk about filler. I finally lost interest and quit reading.
Miranda Agee
The bare bones of this story had immense potential, with missing quartz countertops and Royal Romanov jewels, arson, Russian mafia, and a spunky main character stuck in the 80's, however, I'm afraid it did not rise to it.

Being the first in a series, I felt some of the characters needed more background information. At one point a character disappears for days, no one knows where she is, and when she resurfaces not a single person bothers to even ask her where she's been. Not even when the author...more
Bookadventurer
Haphazard and confusing. I agree with other reviews that that this book was disjointed and all over the place. I also would NOT consider this a Christian mystery.

Sharon
I continued reading this book because I thought the story had potential despite the awkward writing and poor grammar. I was wrong. If the author wants to write other book I would suggest that she find a competent editor. Her sentences and paragraphs were riddled by grammatical errors that made it hard at times to follow her meaning and, in one particular case, the scene jumped with no warning or explanation. I got this book as a "free Friday" selection from Barnes and Noble and although I consid...more
Lara Frater
One of the worst books I've ever read. I want my 99 cents back.
Sharon Delarose
Arson, identity theft, jewelry theft, an abandoned dog, a mysterious man, friends who aren't your friends, a politician with a dirty little secret, a realtor with a mission, and a dark, Italian hottie — what better of a way to engage in a mystery? As with any good mystery, you form hypotheses and not all of mine were correct. There are so many directions it could have gone which leads you on a merry chase almost to the end.

I got sucked into the characters, and the occasional bit of unexpected h...more
Ann-marie
This was a quick and fun read. I enjoyed reading a good mystery, that was clean of all sexual junk normally found in other books; definitely a good change of pace for this reader.

Mitzy is a real-estate agent agent, and runs her office with the help of her assistants, Sabrina and Ben. The market is not booming, and the economy is going through rough times. Mitzy has a weekly spot on a local radio, chatting with listeners about money, finances, and real estate, but she has bigger things in mind....more
Twyla
I was disappointed. First, i picked this up i the murder mystery section and as i kept reading, i kept wondering when the dead body was going to show up and then there wasnt one,at all anyways. Pooh. The writing style was weird, like it was written ten fifteen years ago instead of something contemporary. spoiler ... The puppy is a red herring.and it got a bit christian without being specific, it did not read lik e the first in a series. It was just all over the place.
Joana
This one is filled with mystery, suspense, humor and a little bit of romance. Real Estate Mogul Mitzy Neuhaus is desperately seeking a way to help the local economy pick up from its current slump. A house she's been watching for quite some time finally comes up for sale and Mitxy begins snooping into its past. Soon she finds herself in trouble of a sinister kind.

I was hooked to this one from the beginning. I couldn't put it down and finished it in one day. If you love good clean fiction with mys...more
Julie
I loved the cover so that tweaked my interest to buy the kindle read. It caught me right away. I can't put my finger on why but it kept me reading. I wanted to find out more. It was a comfortable read that kept me wondering. Part of what was running through my mind was trying to figure out if the characters she introduced were really who they seemed to be and would she end up with one of the men even if their characters seemed a little sketchy and kept us wondering. I will read more books by thi...more
Moira
The characters were rather flat, the story jumped awkwardly, and there was a horrendous misuse of pronouns making for some very uncomfortable sentence structure. And more forceful references to how "Christian" the characters were (or weren't) acting. Really, it should probably be 1 star, but I enjoyed the concept if not the execution - and truthfully, I could see the premise making a fun Murder-She -Wrote like television series.
Ann Perez
A good mystery,a little romance even nods to God!

I loved the characters, there was enough background to make them interesting. that's why I love to read, it's like getting to know someone new. there was history to learn as the story unfolded. I love Victorian houses and would really like to explore the Baltimore house. I would recommend this book,highly!
Marie Rutherford
I was disappointed by this book, that lacked the promised suspense, was poorly edited and lacked cohesion. Maybe there were too many characters and sub-plots - I definitely felt a bit lost at times and chuckled at another reviewers suggestion that the author lighten up on the caffeine!! However, it was an interesting insight into the world of realty and a quick read.
Adam Graham
The book was not without its strong points. I had to admire how conscientious Mitzy was. She believed that her efforts as a Realtor didn't just matter for her and her employees but that really she had a chance to have an effect on the lives of people everywhere by exposing fraud that was really hurting people.

Given the lowly reputation of Realtors, a character like Mitzy is refreshing. Unfortunately, our earnest realtor was really the only highlight and towards the end she got buried in a rushed...more
betsy cadle depaul
A whole new world of REALTORS

I rated this book by the fun I had reading it. I could picture all the people and events like I was watching a movie. I liked MITZY and all her friends, who were not perfect and had things they had to work through. My friends would enjoy the plot abd the characters.
Lori
Very poorly written, not at all suspenseful, non-event mystery...should I go in? I read another book by this author that was somewhat better, so I was excited to give this freebie from Amazon a chance. I wasn't able to finish it.
Apple3as
Nice!!!

Nice!!!

this book had you thinking from the start. it was well written. the twist and turns had you on the edge, waiting to see what's going to happen. part 2, here I come!!!!
cassandra swindall
Great little book

Great little book

I don't normally read these type books but glad I did. it had a great plot and I loved the main characters.
Jana
I didn't hate it, so no 1 star. But that is all. How to describe?? The whole thing felt like it was written by an eighth grader. disjointed scenes, pov switches everywhere and without warning--it gets pretty silly when you're reading exactly what everyone is thinking about every given situation.
That said, the office descriptions were decently believable, if a little boring.
Tina
Cute, clean and fun

Loved this book, the personality in the writing, the characters, and the story. No language or questionable content, just a fun, quick read.
linda rush
Very entertaining. 5 Star rating

this book had quite a bit of humor in it and it was also refreshing in that it did not have any foul language in it.
Megan Hart
Foreclosed

Foreclosed

An interesting book. It is not one of my favorite books but it occupied some free time I had to fill.
  • Murder In Half Moon Bay (A Jillian Bradley Mystery #1)
  • Deadly Gamble (A Charlie Parker Mystery #1)
  • Death of the Couch Potato's Wife
  • For Love of Livvy
  • Deadly Blessings (An Alex St. James Mystery #1)
  • Death by Drowning (Josiah Reynolds Mysteries, #2)
  • Deadly Aim (Angel Delaney Mysteries, #1)
  • Killer Twist (Ghostwriter Mystery #1)
  • Dead Pan (Daphne Martin, #2)
  • 52 Steps To Murder
  • Dying for Dinner Rolls (Chubby Chicks Club, #1)
  • Tea with Emma (The Teacup Novellas, #1)
  • Ms America and the Offing on Oahu (Beauty Queen Mystery, #1)
  • Cooking the Books (Sloane Templeton Mysteries #1)
  • Progressive Dinner Deadly (A Myrtle Clover Mystery #3)
  • California Schemin' (A Bree MacGowan Mystery #2)
  • The Grave Gourmet (Capucine Culinary Mystery, #1)
  • Sunshine Hunter (Susan Hunter Mystery, #1)
Traci Tyne Hilton is an award winning playwright, the author of The Mitzy Neuhaus Mystery series, a story teller, and children's ministry worker.

She earned her bachelors degree in history from Portland State University.
More about Traci Tyne Hilton...
Good, Clean, Murder (The Plain Jane Mysteries, #1) Dirty Little Murder (The Plain Jane Mysteries, #2) Eminent Domain (The Mitzy Neuhaus Mysteries, #2) Buyer's Remorse (The Mitzy Neuhaus Mysteries, #3) Bright New Murder: A Plain Jane Mystery (The Plain Jane Mysteries, #3)