Start by marking “CCCP: Cosmic Communist Constructions Photographed” as Want to Read:
CCCP: Cosmic Communist Constructions Photographed

CCCP: Cosmic Communist Constructions Photographed

4.52 of 5 stars 4.52  ·  rating details  ·  149 ratings  ·  12 reviews
The fourth age of Soviet architecture

In this volume photographer Frédéric Chaubin reveals 90 buildings sited in fourteen former Soviet Republics which express what could be considered as the fourth age of Soviet architecture. They reveal an unexpected rebirth of imagination, an unknown burgeoning that took place from 1970 until 1990. Contrary to the twenties and thirties,
Published April 1st 2012 by TASCHEN (first published March 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about CCCP, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about CCCP

Knowing next to nothing about architecture, I was impressed by the accessibility and context provided by the introduction, but obviously a book like this lives or dies on its visual content, and the photos are fantastic. Monstrous 1960s-style science fiction buildings loom out of the mist or squat in town centres like invading spacecraft. Makes me want to book a flight on the next plane to Tashkent.
Justin Lynn
Mesmerizing photographs of monumental, otherworldly, and innovative architecture. The shots have a melancholy beauty of lost grandeur.
Huge collections of photographs by Chaubin of numerous buildings across the former Soviet Union with an emphasis on concrete. I happen to really like brutalist architecture and this book not only has that, it has some out there, futuristic, sci-fi looking structures. Needless to say, I'm into this kind of stuff in a big way.
May 16, 2011 Daisy marked it as to-read
Recommended to Daisy by: LA Times
Shelves: russia
I saw an exhibit of some of these in a tiny gallery just up the street from me and now they're published in a book which I Must Have.
Hugh Darcy
Amazing vision of the future from the past. Magical

Gareth Evans
I wonder how small the market is for picture books on the 4th age of Soviet architecture is? It must be a fairly decent size for this huge bokm to justify the print run, although a trilingual text must help to reduce production costs. The 4th age of Soviet architecture is full of weird and wacky concrete buildings generally found in the peripheral republics. Many buildings are poorly repaired (all the swimming pools are empty). Some are downright ugly, others have a strange beauty. A fascinating ...more
Bill H
Feb 03, 2015 Bill H rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Bill by: Katrina (Polly Paperclip)
No student of architecture (or the USSR), I had to approach this book as a spectacle – and what a spectacle! The photography is superb, the subject buildings astonishing. And, in many cases, pathetic in an Ozymandian sort of way, as their concrete crumbles and weeds grow in their plazas.
You know your boyfriend loves you when he buys you a book about Soviet Architecture for your birthday!

Aside from feeding my obsession with Russia, this book is beautifully presented and fascinating.
D. Ennis
Such a strange and fascinating topic. Leaves you wanting to know more, much more . . . in a good way.
Just seen the Expo in Karlsruhe. AMAZING!
Albert marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2015
Magnus marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2015
Emma Stocker
Emma Stocker marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2015
Jason Michael
Jason Michael marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2015
Jim marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2015
Stephanie McGarrah
Stephanie McGarrah marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2015
Сергей marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2015
Michael Laney
Michael Laney marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2015
Tim marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2015
Veeral marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2015
Catalin Spiridon
Catalin Spiridon marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2015
Edmis added it
Jul 07, 2015
Seb marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2015
  • Information Graphics
  • The Devil's Playground
  • A Period of Juvenile Prosperity
  • Little People in the City: The Street Art of Slinkachu
  • I Could Tell You But Then You Would Have to be Destroyed by Me: Emblems from the Pentagon's Black World
  • Project Japan. Metabolism Talks...
  • The Commissar Vanishes
  • Hope Against Hope
  • Infrastructure: A Field Guide to the Industrial Landscape
  • 100 Suns
  • Strange Maps: An Atlas of Cartographic Curiosities
  • Modern Architecture: A Critical History (World of Art)
  • Philographics: Big Ideas in Simple Shapes