Start by marking “La Grande Storia Della Seconda Guerra Mondiale” as Want to Read:
La Grande Storia Della Seconda Guerra Mondiale

La Grande Storia Della Seconda Guerra Mondiale

4.14  ·  Rating Details  ·  778 Ratings  ·  37 Reviews
Historian Martin Gilbert here offers a global history of World War II, weaving together all of its aspectsthe political, the military, the diplomatic, and the civiliancharting an almost day-by-day account of the war's destruction.
900 pages
Published 2003 by Oscar Mondadori (first published January 1st 1989)

To ask other readers questions about La Grande Storia Della Seconda Guerra Mondiale, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about La Grande Storia Della Seconda Guerra Mondiale

Anders
Jul 08, 2009 Anders rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Wow! What a terrible, horrific, bloody, incomprehensible, period of world history. The book gives almost a day by day account from the war's beginning, with the military/racial conquests of Nazi Germany, to the long lasting effects years later. It really re-defines what human beings are possible of, from the extremes of unthinkable brutality, and lack of conscience and respect for human life, to the amazing perseverance of people of many races, and from many countries, facing unthinkable pain, l ...more
Tim
Sep 15, 2012 Tim rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

Gilbert's a very able historian of WWII and his choice to follow a strict, day by day, chronological approach was obviously very conscious, but it's also a serious flaw. I think he chose it primarily to bring out details and maintain focus on Nazi atrocities large and small, and those of the German army generally, as well as those of Imperial Japan. It works, to the point where it gets tiresome for me, and that’s because it so badly interferes with coherent historical narrative. Maybe more impor
Gary
Mar 29, 2016 Gary rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As with all of Martin Gilbert's works, this is an accomplished and polished history of World War II, looking both from a bird's eye view of events, to a closer more intimate picture of so many of those involved.

It details the war in Europe, from the Nazi invasion of Poland in 1939, to then effects of the War even today.
The millitary conflict, is set against the backdrop of the genocide by the Nazis of millions of Jews, Gypsies, Poles, Russians , Serbs, 'anti-social elements' and others.

Even befo
Dr.
Sep 20, 2009 Dr. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: world-war-2
Gilbert's history of world war 2 should be the first choice of anyone not only interested in the military campaigns but also in the social atmosphere of the times. He is amazing in his ability and willingness to blend the two into this amazing narrative of possibly the largest human undertaking in history. I was enthralled from beginning to end. The story really comes alive. The refreshing thing is that it's not just told through the stories of the big names that we all know, much of it is seen ...more
booklady
May 06, 2016 booklady is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Martin Gilbert was the official biographer of Winston Churchill. Having lived in the UK for four years I confess to being partial to British history. Dear husband and I are listening to this when we have the time. We can't abide TV.
Walter Mendoza
May 21, 2016 Walter Mendoza rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Martin Gilbert's book of the Second World War is one of the best books about WWII, an detailed account of the camps of battle, with a vivid descriptions of concentrations camps, maybe is not analitical book, but he describes many facts of the conflict, the murderers of jews in Lithuania or Russian front.

One book well documented and written, definitively an interesting overview of the WWII. I recommend this book.
Chuck Leonard
Mar 27, 2016 Chuck Leonard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An essentially chronological history of WWII as viewed through a British viewpoint. Arguably, for the US, there were a number of events prior to the invasion of Poland that ultimately lead to US involvement including the invasion of Mongolia by the Japanese in 1931 as well as their attack on China in 1937. Also many historians view Italy's attack on Ethiopia in 1935 as the first step towards war in Europe. But, Mr. Gilbert's frame of reference leads naturally to the commencement date of the Sept ...more
Tim
Jan 22, 2013 Tim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Extensive history of WWII. Gilbert covers the breadth and depth of the conflict, though I think he does not give the Asian theatre full coverage. I appreciated the chronological approach, and appreciated how challenging 1942 and 1943 were as the war was turning against the Axis powers but unevenly. Also learnt more about Rommel, a true master general.
Gilbert was sensitive outlining the Nazi's "Final Solution" to destroy Jewish populations in Europe. He states how long it took for the Allies to u
Allan
Oct 23, 2014 Allan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After reading this colossal account of the biggest, bloodiest conflict in history, you will want to compare every other book on the subject to it and you will fail. Martin Gilbert is one of the only historic authors who have ever been successful in conveying the massive scale of the genocide, industry' politicking, material destruction and general complexity of the second world war to the reader. This book was the only one that ever managed to scare the shit out of me.
Braedy
Aug 22, 2015 Braedy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It is no small feat to sum up a book in a few short words, but this book does not present that problem - Amazing and Haunting. Gilbert removes the layers of history that we've all been accustomed to, and delves into the accounts of individuals, showing us the atrocities that have gone untold. An absolutely amazing read, and absolutely haunting.
Sara
This book seemed to focus on every detail of violence that occurred during the war. I did not finish it because I am more interested in finding a book that deals primarily with the motivations and strategies on a broader scale.
Richard Macquarrie
This was an amazing step by step accounting of the Second World War. I loved how Martin Gilbert would take you to the important decisions and actions each day since 1939's German invasion of Poland. He does a great job throughout the entire war and exposes in great detail the horrific crimes of the Nazi party while in power. For people interested in how the war was built up however you will be disappointed since this book starts with the invasion of Poland and not with the election of Adolf Hitl ...more
Mchaica
Aug 09, 2013 Mchaica rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Setembro de 1939 a Agosto de 1945. Um conflito armado envolvendo cerca de cinquenta nações e que teve como desfecho final, não só uma reorganização no plano geopolítico mundial, como e principalmente uma imensa dor humana que, setenta anos depois, ainda se faz sentir.

Nunca será conhecido com precisão o numero total de vitimas. Têm sido feitos inúmeros cálculos dos mortos da Segunda Guerra e calcula-se que seis milhões de civis chineses tenham sucumbido às mãos dos japoneses. A União Soviética te
Zachary Guthrie
The Second World War by Martin Gilbert gives an overall impression of human suffering and death. The war tolls were astronomical and the details horrifying. Gilbert emphasizes the Jews loss--the Holocaust--and exact details and myriad of accounts that confirm the torture of the human race. Hitler, Hirohito, Roosevelt, Churchill, Mousslini, and Stalin played the faces of the nations during the WWII. However, Gilbert recognized the business of the WWII remains a long,deep echo that today's humanit ...more
Larry
Nov 21, 2010 Larry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gilbert's book is a straight day-by-day account without summarizing on his part. The reader is the one who summarizes, and certain themes appear relentlessly: the war within the war (the German war against the Jews), the human price of war (for civilians, especially), the strength of Russian resistance, the growing technological aspect of the war (Churchill predicted that "machines will battle machines), etc. The absence of a point of view (or its non-overt presence) makes the book less powerful ...more
Carlos Dourado
Jul 20, 2013 Carlos Dourado rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Martin Gilbert é sem dúvida um dos mais importantes historiadores ingleses da actualidade, sendo a sua obra focada em História Contemporânea, principalmente da II Guerra Mundial.

Esta pequena (1008 páginas) foi para mim uma descoberta maravilhosa: foi o livro das férias de Verão de 2011 ("O livrinho", como alguém lhe chamou); a forma como o autor consegue descrever os acontecimentos é relativamente simples, sendo dado um excelente enquadramento da época, o que não deixa um leitor menos conhecedor
Anand
Sep 08, 2012 Anand rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Concise, single book history of the World War, very well researched and very readable. Found some of the sections somewhat biased towards British (although it was short of a hagiography); some of the big battles (D-Day or even Pearl Harbour), and the aftermath (both the immediate, Nuremberg trials or the post war reparation) were briefer than I expected. Some players - Eisenhower or Montgomery (the latter was much more nuanced in Beevor's D-Day) were not really ever on stage.

That said, it was in
Chris
Mar 24, 2015 Chris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ww2, history
Very wide-ranging, but gets so episodic it starts to come off like an almanac of the war.
Not so much comprehensive as accumulative, concentrating on war's effects. The last two words are "human pain."

Wesley Young
A good glossing-over of all the major points of the war... But hardly "complete" by any stretch.
Peter Kong
Very dispassionate, blow by blow account.
Olethros
-Monografía, en orden estrictamente cronológico, de los principales sucesos de la Segunda Guerra Mundial-.

Género. Historia.

Lo que nos cuenta. Relato de la Segunda Guerra Mundial, desde la invasión de Polonia hasta la rendición de Japón, con un repaso de lo que el autor llama “asuntos pendientes” que nos lleva hasta la fecha original de publicación de la obra.

¿Quiere saber más de este libro, sin spoilers? Visite:

Tassos
A very detailed work indeed! But maybe a little bit too detailed for someone that wants to know what happened (like me). After a while the chapters start talking at the same time of what was happening at the western, eastern front, in the war on the pacific on Africa and at the same time referring all the small stories of the countless people that were murdered in the lands occupied by the Nazis.

All in all, I find this structure very difficult to follow
Loke Zhan
Jan 18, 2013 Loke Zhan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this book tells us ,especially us children,who never experienced it before,about the horrers of the holocaust and the Japanese occupation.I felt we were lucky to live in a peaceful environment.I also pitied these victims for having died such a horrible way.If you are interested in history,I suggest you read this book.It provides a variety of information that may be of good use to some.
André Gonçalves
Impecável. Extremamente detalhado, mostra todas as nuances que levaram ao desfecho do conflito.
Mike
Jun 10, 2013 Mike rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful book, but I think the British author underplays the American effect on the war. Patton is mentioned exactly twice, for example. One thing he does exceptionally well is bring the Holocaust to terms by reminding the reader that every day hundreds if not thousands of people died. In all, a wonderfully written book that is chock full of information.
Johnny Gourami
excellent detailed history of ww2 very long and includes more ww2 politics and strategies than any ww2 book ive read. If you needed to learn as much as you could on ww2 but only wanted to read one book it would be this one.

Sebastiao Barata
It is a long book with a lot of information, but I didn't like the flow. It was sort of a sequencial report of events.
It gives you a perspective of what World War II was, but it isn't a pleasant read.
Erik
Jul 04, 2011 Erik rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-nonfiction
If you're looking for an excellent book that covers all of World War II, this is it. It's heavy (literally and figuratively), but I think well worth it.
Brynn
Apr 29, 2013 Brynn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
An almost day by day account of the war, and yet it never gets tedious. Wonderful starting point from which to explore hundreds of stories.
Nicholle Blaine
Finally. Ugh. If I didn't read this for history class I would have liked it more, having to try and pull facts from it was a nightmare.
  • Bomber Command
  • The Origins of the Second World War
  • No Greater Ally: The Untold Story of Poland's Forces in World War II
  • Farewell The Trumpets: An Imperial Retreat
  • Absolute War: Soviet Russia in the Second World War
Sir Martin John Gilbert was a British historian and Fellow of Merton College, University of Oxford. He was the official biographer of Sir Winston Churchill and the author of over eighty books, including works on the Holocaust and Jewish history.
More about Martin Gilbert...

“ten thousand Soviet evacuees had been drowned off Tallinn, and twenty-three thousand Hungarian Jews murdered at Kamenets Podolsk, in the same three day period. But these were far from the only deaths in those few August days.” 1 likes
“The woman crawled on the earth, took hold of his boot and pleaded for mercy. But the soldier took the boy and hit him with his head against the wall, once, twice, smashed him against the wall.” 1 likes