Start by marking “This Just in” as Want to Read:
This Just in

This Just in

“I never thought anybody would hear these words from me, but there are times when fashion doesn’t count.”

When a presidential candidate’s young son disappears into the Arizona desert, TV fluff reporter Jillanne Caldwell gets her first chance at a real news story. But the former beauty queen will soon be forced to face her worst nightmares—and perhaps realize her biggest dr
Published January 1st 2004 by Covenant Communications

To ask other readers questions about This Just in, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about This Just in

Mar 25, 2008 Marilee rated it it was amazing
I read this on a train and other passengers were constantly looking at me as I burst out in uncontrollable laughter.
May 09, 2008 Crystal rated it did not like it
I just couldn't get into this book. I didn't like the little side notes. I have loved her previous books but I didn't like the way she wrote this one. Just give me the normal formats. You can try something new but this was just a wacky way to write this book.
Jul 10, 2008 Shannon rated it liked it
Shelves: lds-fiction
A fairly funny voice for the main character who gets stuck in the desert looking for a boy from her class. The make-up tips, though, were a total distraction. Mindless read for when you want a little bit of a laugh.
Aug 28, 2008 Darla rated it really liked it
(Genre:LDS fiction/adventure suspense/humor/romance) I loved this book! I thought it was so funny, that when I was done reading it, I read it out loud to my husband. The main character, Jillanne, is an absolute riot for me. Jillanne is a morning TV reporter for "What's up Tuscan?". She was a first runner up Miss America and is supposedly your typical blonde airhead. But when her favorite Sunbeam (yep, she is a primary teacher) is lost in the desert of Arizona, she is sure that the Lord wants her ...more
Jan 15, 2009 Breanna rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lds-fiction
Nov 29, 2008 Susan rated it it was amazing
What I really like about Jillanne Caldwell is how humorously brave she is. She is such a "girly girl", you can feel her hyperventilating at each perilous and squeemish moment. What really made me laugh were her beauty tips included with her narrative. It made her even more likable. Clay Eskiminzin is better than Batman! I kept picturing the movie "Charade". Jill wants to find out who Clay really is just like Audrey Hepburn wants to know who Cary Grant really is (mysterious and amazing). I loved ...more
Dec 18, 2008 Alisa rated it really liked it
Jillanne Caldwell, an obsessed beauty queen and fluffy reporter, finds herself as part of a two-person search team looking for her favorite Sunbeam, Connor. Connor is the son of an aspiring politician, and of Jillanne's former best friend. Jillanne is teamed up with Clay, an experienced tracker who has been hired to find Connor. I thought it was a fun book to read - as Jillanne and Clay get to know each other they find out they are more alike than different - at least in the ways that really mat ...more
Dec 29, 2008 Melissa rated it really liked it
This was a suprisingly good book. I enjoyed learning a lot about the Arizona desert and survival. The highlight for me was when the book started tralking about one of my ancestors. It was a shock, but nice to see. I even learned some new, interesting info about him. Who knew my family hob nobed with the 19th pres. of the Untied States. So much so that one of the Presidents son's was named after him. George Crook. I thought it was gerat!
Dec 30, 2008 Heather rated it really liked it
I was loaned this book by Darla, and thought it was absolutely hilarious!! So I asked my hubby to buy me the book on tape for Christmas!! He did, yeah!!!
Loved it, it was very good! But I think I enjoyed reading it more! It was constantly hilarious when I read it, but not quite as funny while listening! Still a wonderful book!!
Jan 26, 2009 Donna rated it it was ok
Recommended to Donna by: library
LDS action-romance novel. Pretty far-fetched but decent plot movement. And of course very clean. Good for a fast-read when you want to escape.
Feb 06, 2009 Jenny rated it it was ok
Unique main character makes this book a bit non-traditional and quirky. Kind of fun...
Apr 12, 2009 Kate rated it it was amazing
Oh my goodness! I liked that it wasn't too cheesy, or too gushy, and I loved the humor. I caught myself smiling and laughing out loud a little bit more than normal. At first, Jill bugged me to death with all the blonde-ness. By the end I was in love with her hilarious wit, and with Clay! I wish I had a batguy....
Apr 21, 2009 Sharee rated it it was ok
It was an OK book - I was not a fan of the main character or her silly personality. It was supposed to be endearing, I think, I was just annoyed. This was my last book I was borrowing from my mom, I have to admit I am glad they are all read and returned.
Apr 16, 2016 Shayne rated it it was amazing
Kerry outdid herself on this one. Jillanne was perfect! For anyone who ever thought they were nothing but a pretty face and then had someone show them how much more they truly were, not to mention encouraging them to dig deep within and discover more, this book is for them. Jillanne is lovable from start to finish!
Jan 26, 2010 Gaelynn rated it liked it
Shelves: bookclub-2010
I did like this book, but parts of it were just a little "too" for me.... Jill was too "fluffy", Clay was too "good", too much happened in too short of time, other charcters were too shallow. Having said that, it is a good clean read, action packed and a fun escape. I did appreciate the humor and the stream of consciousness writing style.
Jan 23, 2010 Marian.brady rated it it was amazing
So funny!!!! I couldn't stop smiling/laughing. About a beauty queen turned new reporter that gets involved in a hunt for a missing boy. Fun read.
Mar 03, 2011 Millie rated it liked it
I wasn't sure I liked the column between chapters, but I got used to it. Good Mormon read. :)

I wished for a little more charachter development. You don't like the main character very much for a long while.
Aug 25, 2010 Swhe641200 rated it it was ok
I am not sure if it is the author or just the main character. I felt she was more than a little silly. Good story about a Senator's son who was kidnapped and TV reporter happened to be a friend of his mother and his primary teacher. I guess I will have to read another one of Blair's book before I decide if it is her style of writing or just this one book. GSBook
Oct 26, 2010 Shani rated it liked it
The character was a little over the top. But over all, This Just In was very funny.
P.S did anyone else notice that Kerry Blair only got two people to review her book? (on the back of the book) Sierra St. James and Janette Rallison is the same person.
Hilary Roberts
Jan 03, 2011 Hilary Roberts rated it liked it
This author has a very unique writing style. Not the kind of book you where you can ever get totally into the action because the humor keeps things really light. I kind of enjoyed it, though, for something a little different. The romantic relationship development was interesting at first but written well enough that it didn't bother me at all in the end. If you want some light and different, yet fun, LDS mystery/romance then this is your book.
Jun 23, 2011 Martha rated it really liked it
Reality strikes! Hitting your head hurts, death can be ugly, dirt is messy, and injuries take time to heal. ... What a breath of fresh air!
Dec 07, 2011 Andrea rated it really liked it
Kerry Blair is hilarious. Her writing is so entertaining.

This Just In is about a beauty queen turned reporter who joins the search for a missing four-year-old she teaches in church. Her city-girl lifestyle hasn't prepared her for roughing it in the Arizona desert, but handsome tracker Clay helps her survive.

I really enjoyed reading this. It was just right for my mood.
Jul 30, 2014 Jamee rated it really liked it
It's not the best kerry blair book I've ever read, but it's still really good. a lot of books written by Mormon authors have a tendency to be cheesy so I love it when one steps up to the plate and keeps the plot lively and interesting. Kerry Blair is one of my favorite authors!
Add survival in the desert mountains to a typical "opposites attract" romance line and you've got Blair's novel, "This Just In."

Jillane is pretty, and perhaps a bit shallow, two facts which count against her in the world of journalism. She's also a Primary teacher. When one of her little Sunbeams disappears, the son of a presidential candidate no-less, she knows she just has to get the story. She doesn't count on handsome, [quiet], legendary tracker Clay, nor does she count on having to survive
Oct 02, 2012 Savanna rated it liked it
Shelves: lds, 20-09
Jillanne Caldwell is a TV reporter and Connor Teagler's Primary Teacher. When he goes missing in the desert Jill makes sure she is assigned to the story. She teams up with Clay Eskiminzin, an Indian tracker, to search for Connor. Clay promises to find Connor but won't promise to find him alive. Jill will need to face the worst the desert can throw at her if she wants to find her best friend's son alive.

This book is great! Jill is silly and a drama queen; but she has a good heart. I love the humo
Apr 08, 2013 Patricia rated it it was amazing
Rating 4.5. I loved this book. Jill's thoughts and dialog were so energy-charged and funny. Caffeinated conversations. :0)
Mary Davies
Oct 03, 2013 Mary Davies rated it liked it
Cheesy and a bit annoying when she won't stop worrying about her looks, but after I got a few chapters in I started enjoying it. I don't usually read books by Mormon authors, so the church references threw me sometimes. But by the end I was hooked. Thanks for the recommendation, Marlene!
Rebecca Dean
Nov 08, 2014 Rebecca Dean rated it it was amazing
Loved this story - exciting plot twists and getting to know the characters was so much fun. I loved the Jillanne Caldwell "beauty-queen, reporter" character and of course, the future love interest "Clay" the tracker from Arizona.

The attempt at rescuing the young boy if intriguing and a great plot, well-written
Kirsten Seamons
Dec 05, 2015 Kirsten Seamons rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
I loved this book! I would read it over and over again! The main character is hilarious and the whole book is very well written, with characters that you come to know very well by the end of the book.
Oct 16, 2016 Karen rated it did not like it
I found this just painful. I'm never crazy about 'oh-poor-me-I'm-so-pretty-people-think-I'm-stupid characters. I'm not sure if I was more put off by the main character or the writing.
  • Finding Paradise
  • City of Angels (Rhea Jensen, #1)
  • Chance Encounter
  • Hazardous Duty (Duty Series, #1)
  • A Time for the Heart
  • The Deep End (Undercurrents, #3)
  • Blind Side
  • What the Doctor Ordered
  • Previously Engaged
Kerry Blair is a successful mystery author who weaves infectious humor throughout her work.
More about Kerry Blair...