Start by marking “Between Brothers” as Want to Read:
Between Brothers

Between Brothers

3.27  ·  Rating Details  ·  136 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
Brian Thompson is living a lie. A successful businessman, Brian can't stay focused in a real relationship and cheats on Timothy, his longtime lover. A phone call from his younger brother Joey, whom Brian hasn't spoken to in years, makes him recognize the uncanny resemblance between the two men.

Joey is, in a word, perfect. In Brian's eyes, he always has been. When their mot
Published August 6th 2010 by Smashwords Edition (first published June 25th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Between Brothers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Between Brothers

Damon Suede
Mar 09, 2011 Damon Suede rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Irritated by another appalling, mawkish, inept "brothers-themed" M/M title that I refuse to mention by name, I read this to clear my palate and was once again struck by the fact that J.M. Snyder isn't doing strict M/M anymore... and her talent is incandescent. While undeniably erotic, and romantic at times... the depth of characterization and subtle detail used to build up the family involved and the relationship at the center of the book is completely effective and moving for reasons that have ...more
Ryes
May 01, 2008 Ryes rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brian doesn't start out as a likable character. He comes off as a jerk because he's petty, looks for something wrong with everyone, and constantly cheats on his lover Timothy. But he grows on you and you see later on that he can be a good brother and a decent person.

The conflict that he's dealt with all his life is his emotions for his brother, which seem to be out of control. He tries to escape from it by avoiding his family, but having no contact with the most important person in the world to
Mar 20, 2009 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: glbt-fiction
This was certainly a gripping, if not always comfortable, read. Brilliant tension and incredibly readable characters. Still not sure if I loathed or liked the central characters. Great writing.
Ashley♥Alexis
I didn't like it. Which is a shame because as with anything written by Snyder, this was written beautifully. I was just really rooting for Brian and Joey and then...yeah, the change at the end just didn't set well with me. Meh. You can't like them all.
Vfields Don't touch my happy!
This was so different. I thought Snyder did a great job confronting a frightening, nontraditional relationship. Let me make this clear there was not any sibling hanky-panky.
bazinga ~Lisa
Oct 09, 2015 bazinga ~Lisa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to bazinga ~Lisa by: jms books
Shelves: jm-snyder
I was disappointed the brothers never got together. Turns out this was not a brothers in love story
Elizabetta
Feb 11, 2015 Elizabetta rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lt-150-pgs

God, the simmering repressed sexual tension is so thick in this. I read this for the prurient incest angle and got so much more. Something quite unexpected. Loved how the writing effectively builds a not very likable character, Brian, puzzling over why he is the way he is... and keeps us guessing why he should be redeemable.

I really liked the beginning with Brian and his messed-up cheating ways— oh, a warning— if you can’t abide cheating in your roms (which this barely is) then you’ll have a har
Ammts
Aug 09, 2015 Ammts rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow. A visceral reaction is all I can say to describe this book. If you're looking for a story about taboo incest this isn't the book for you. Rather, this was an intelligent, well-written novel about the meaning of love, in its many forms and our ability as humans to confuse them. Really quite beautiful.
Mara Ismine
Not a book for those uncomfortable with the idea of incest! Brian loves his younger brother Joe obssessively and has avoided him for a lot of years because of that. Brian isn't a very nice person when we first meet him. He doesn't improve much, but by the end of the book he is showing signs of developing into someone worth knowing. Despite Brian's actions and attitude it is difficult to stop reading about him or resist starting to sympathise with his pain. The ending isn't exactly Happy Ever Aft ...more
Van
Angstiest-angst-filled-angstying-angsty-book.
Trix
Oct 20, 2014 Trix rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Jimmy Hanson
Feb 15, 2010 Jimmy Hanson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010, m-m, infidelity-ick
Not a very light read at all... the first words that come to mind are "ugly" and "fanastic."

Brian is not a man meant for romance novels. And yet, he is a man. Not everyone is truly honest, or even likable. He sleeps compulsively with just about anyone, and by his own admission most are 'not his type, but will work for now.' He has a live-in boyfriend of 3 years that he treats like shite and there is guilt there for what he does, but only a whisper every now and then, not enough to make him truly
Indie Reviews
Nov 28, 2010 Indie Reviews rated it really liked it

Between Brothers by J.M. Snyder is an extremely well written story that explores the various dimensions of love between two brothers with intelligence, sensitivity and thoughtfulness. This story is not about a sexual relationship between blood brothers meant to titillate and arouse. Rather, it delves deeply and honestly into the complexities of Brian’s feelings of sexual desire and romantic love for his brother Joey, all the while examining the broader confines of their relationship as brothers,
Tammy
3.5*
To me this book is about hope. Hopefully all the MC's will get their HEA. Brian finally comes to terms with his feelings for Joey and has to make some hard decisions about Timothy. I just couldn't get into this story as much as I need to.
Shawn
Not a bad story. Def. not what I thought it was going to be. I'm not sure If I like Brain (the MC) or not. One minute he was so awful, the next you just wanted him to get what he wanted. Which is, of course, good writing. I dunno. Nothing really seemed to be resolved at the end of this.

Yes, he talked to his family more, he didn't pick up the waiter at the place in DC, but....does that mean he's really changed? Does he really have what he wants in Tim? And is everything he's doing just to please
Kim
Mar 31, 2013 Kim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book in less than 24 hours. I couldn't put it down despite the uncomfortable subject matter. Brian's voice was so compelling. He reminded me so much of the character of Brian on "Queer as Folk" played by Gale Harold. I disliked Brian. Let's face it, the guy was a jerk. Just awful. Lusting after your own brother is a serious problem that requires therapy or something. But the story, as disturbing as it was, was interesting to read. Brian knew he was terrible and wrong and his brother ...more
Aure7ia
Jan 26, 2016 Aure7ia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016

2.5* I didn't like the end - not what I expected
Darlene
Mar 24, 2013 Darlene rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: finished
This book was not what I expected. I thought it would be about two brothers that had a gay relationship and it turned out much different than I expected but that is what I think I liked most about it. One brother is struggling with the thought that he loves his straight brother and all his relationships have been driven by this thought, he picks men who remind him of his brother and never totally commits. in the end the brother shows him it is a brotherly love and not a "In Love" love. Then ther ...more
Nancy L
Mar 24, 2011 Nancy L rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m, romance
While incest isn't my thing, I couldn't help but to keep reading to see what would happen. I had many ideas in my head....none of them happened. While this book was more of an HFN, it was enough. the journey Brian takes looks long an hard at himself. he has a bit of help from his brother Joey. It's a soul searching story and I'm happy that things still feel a bit "in the air" because things like this are life changing and it won't happen overnight.
Shannon
If you're looking for a book with a little brother on brother action, this is NOT the book for you. It was basically a story about Brian, a total douche who thinks he's in love with his brother and Joey, his straight brother. Most of the book is spent either going down memory lane with Brian or witnessing his cheating douchiness. If it wasn't written so well it would have been a 2 star read. I'm just glad it's over.
Scotty
Jul 31, 2012 Scotty rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Utterly unlikable main character, although the book was very well written. I really did not know how this book was going to end, which is unusual in this genre.

I can't rate it higher than three stars because I never felt anything for the main character. He is definitely not someone I would want to know.
Marsha Spence
Mar 13, 2011 Marsha Spence rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Brian is not a pleasant person at all but he seems to be on the mend by the end. I felt that he and Timothy's relationship might be salvaged. I think Brian and Joey's discussion about Brian's feelings for Joey helped him tremendously. Touching, sweet, disturbing at times. Very well done.
Bookbee
I am completely conflicted - the MC is unsympathetic and yet I could feel his anguish. One moment I wanted to smack him upside the head and the next just hug him up and make it all better.
J.M.
Jun 24, 2009 J.M. rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
This is my book so I'm not going to write a review.
*Nan*
Alan
Alan rated it did not like it
May 02, 2016
Shirley Benson
Shirley Benson rated it it was amazing
Apr 29, 2016
Joyce
Joyce marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2016
  • Broken
  • Stepping Stones
  • D.N.A.: Double Helix
  • Security
  • The Center of Earth and Sky (Center of Earth and Sky, #1)
  • Gemini
  • Surface Tension
  • Tabula Rasa
  • Jumping Into Things (Thatchers, #1)
  • Touching Evil
  • Hearts & Bones (Always, #2)
  • Without Sin
  • Texan Summer
  • The One that Stayed (One and One, #3)
  • Del Fantasma: Unicorn
  • I Do: An Anthology in Support of Marriage Equality
  • Tempestuous Relations (Mackenzie Twins, #1)
  • The Angel of 13th Street (The Angel of 13th Street 1)
An author of gay erotic/romantic fiction, J.M. Snyder began in self-publishing and worked with Amber Allure, Aspen Mountain, eXcessica, and Torquere Presses.

Snyder's highly erotic short gay fiction has been published online at Amazon Shorts, Eros Monthly, Ruthie's Club, and Tit-Elation, as well as in anthologies by Alyson Books, Aspen Mountain, Cleis Press, eXcessica Publishing, Lethe Press, and R
More about J.M. Snyder...