Start by marking “Mosby's Memoirs and Other Stories” as Want to Read:
Mosby's Memoirs and Other Stories

Mosby's Memoirs and Other Stories

3.62 of 5 stars 3.62  ·  rating details  ·  164 ratings  ·  17 reviews
In six darkly comic tales, Saul Bellow presents the human experience in all its preposterousness, poignancy, and pathos. The stories, which include "Leaving the Yellow House," "The Old System," "Looking for Mr. Green," "The Gonzaga Manuscripts," and "A Father-to-Be," reflect Bellow s ability to depict men and women confronting, in highly idiosyncratic ways, the enigmas and ...more
Published 1971 by Penguin (first published 1968)

To ask other readers questions about Mosby's Memoirs and Other Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mosby's Memoirs and Other Stories

Indemnity Only by Sara ParetskyHard Time by Sara ParetskyThe Adventures of Augie March by Saul BellowStorm Front by Jim ButcherRavelstein by Saul Bellow
Set in Chicago: Fiction
15th out of 64 books — 68 voters
The Great Gatsby by F. Scott FitzgeraldPride and Prejudice by Jane AustenSense and Sensibility by Jane AustenLove's Labor's Lost by William ShakespeareA Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens
Alliterations
336th out of 568 books — 33 voters

More lists with this book...

Greg
Despite being "Brilliant", a "Major Work", "Extraordinary", and "Masterpieces" I found the six stories in this collection to be good but not exceptional.

I think this was my fourth, or maybe fifth, book of Saul Bellow's that I've read, and so far none of them have done much for me. Augie March I enjoyed better when it was called Studs Lonigan (but not by much, I didn't really enjoy that one so much either)*. Henderson the Rain King I liked better as the one Graham Greene book I read and didn't e
Abailart
Short stories from over 17 years. A lucky find in a secondhand shop while looking for Roberto Bolano. (I found him behind the sofa later on). Absolutely delightful, and not only that, a tugging to go back to those Americans I gorged on so long ago, Malamud down to Sinclair. Oh, you can never be poor as long as there are libraries and secondhand bookshops.
Dan Pecchenino
The title story drags on, but "Leaving the Yellow House" is a masterpiece about an old desert-she-rat (not what one thinks of as standard Bellow fare) that produces what all good fiction should: sympathy for a largely unlikable person. The rest of the stories are, to greater and lesser degrees, about male panic in the middle of the 20th century. No one did that quite as well as Bellow, though none of the stories in this collection does it quite as well as SEIZE THE DAY.
Liam89
Six intelligent and amusing stories from Saul Bellow, one of the foremost chroniclers of Jewish-American life. Some were more enjoyable than others, but I wonder if that is because some of the humour does not quite make it all the way across the Atlantic. However when the dialogue and observations work, they dazzle and sparkle as you would expect from the man who translated 'The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock' into Yiddish. My personal favourite was the tale of Dr. Braun, the closing moments of ...more
Katherine
I hated Mosby's Memoirs and Father to be and rabidly loved everything else. but mosby's memoirs made me want to die from boredom. sometimes, satire just gets so caught up in being satire it's only entertaining for the author as he's writing it. i didn't get it, but hope those that did enjoyed it, which seems to be literally everyone except for me. looking for mr green was excellent
علی
کمتر داستانی از "سال بلو" هست که در آن یک یا چند شخصیت "شکست خورده" و "بازنده" نباشند. اما بازندگان بلو کمتر به خط پایان و ناامیدی رسیده اند. آنها باخته اند، تا داستان خود را بگویند، برای آنها که ممکن است روزی ببازند!

Seems Bellow has gatherd a bunch of "failures" ...looks close to James...

رمان های مشهور سال بلو که توسط انتشارات ملی و به پاس نویسنده ای که برنده ی نوبل بوده است، تجدید چاپ شده است.
این طرف ها چاپ های بعدی یک اثر معمولن تغییراتی ولو اندک دارند، که وسوسه ای ست برای دوباره خواندنشان
Ronald Wise
Six short stories written between 1951 and 1968, with a larger variety of protagonists than is usual for Bellow. All were enjoyable to read and a couple of them presented some poignant moments. This collection came to my list when all of Bellow's books were added to my reading list following my enjoyment of his The Dangling Man.
Javier
She had captured the station, and the pleasure this gave her was enormous. Yet her grievances were true grievances. She was telling the truth. But she behaved like a liar.

***

I want to give this a 4 but people have been giving me hell on my stars and I just can't be having people thinking I'm easy.
Michael
Saul Bellow got awarded a Nobel Prize "for the human understanding and subtle analysis of contemporary culture that are combined in his work". And while I do agree that he is quite good at that, I just don't find the people he describes in this book all that interesting. Maybe it works for you though...
Andrew
What real makes these stories so compelling is the skill that Bellow has in combining richly-drawn characters and larger social issues. In Looking for Mr. Green for example, Bellow gives you a portrait of Mr. Grebe and a portrait of the darkest heart of the city. Very interesting stuff.
Melinda
Oct 02, 2007 Melinda rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those who like a quiet piece of fiction
When I was in undergrad, Brian Morton would talk about Saul Bellow. It took a roadtrip through Portland, OR, six or so years later, to pick up a book by Bellow. And it is so beautiful, such lovely character-driver fiction.
Mike
Lobstergirl
Jan 27, 2012 Lobstergirl rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Lobstergirl by: Mstislav Rostropovich
Shelves: covers, own, fiction
Bellow is always worth reading. Still, stories are not my thing. The two best here, that bear rereading, are The Old System and Mosby's Memoirs.
Mario Sugus
Este libro es un conjunto de relatos bastante divertidos, unos mas que otros, pero terminarlo me dejó buen sabor de boca.
Matthew Berkshire
I liked this a lot better than Seize the Day. Short, but very well written.
Canyon's Mom
Highly recommend this writer!!!
Alexa
Alexa marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2015
James Anthony
James Anthony marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2015
Leo Delescen
Leo Delescen marked it as to-read
Dec 22, 2014
Nathan Cox
Nathan Cox marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2014
Cláudia Costa
Cláudia Costa marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2014
  • The Onion Eaters
  • Park City: New and Selected Stories
  • The Best American Short Stories 1998
  • In Dreams Begin Responsibilities and Other Stories
  • Four Screenplays: Smiles of a Summer Night/The Seventh Seal/Wild Strawberries/The Magician
  • Nachtstücke
  • Doctor Sleep
  • Beginners
  • Works of Honore de Balzac
Saul Bellow was born in Lachine, Quebec, a suburb of Montreal, in 1915, and was raised in Chicago. He attended the University of Chicago, received his Bachelor's degree from Northwestern University in 1937, with honors in sociology and anthropology, did graduate work at the University of Wisconsin, and served in the Merchant Marine during World War II.

Mr. Bellow's first novel, Dangling Man, was pu
More about Saul Bellow...
Herzog The Adventures of Augie March Henderson the Rain King Humboldt's Gift Seize the Day