Start by marking “Mosby's Memoirs and Other Stories” as Want to Read:
Mosby's Memoirs and Other Stories

Mosby's Memoirs and Other Stories

In six darkly comic tales, Saul Bellow presents the human experience in all its preposterousness, poignancy, and pathos. The stories, which include "Leaving the Yellow House," "The Old System," "Looking for Mr. Green," "The Gonzaga Manuscripts," and "A Father-to-Be," reflect Bellow s ability to depict men and women confronting, in highly idiosyncratic ways, the enigmas and ...more
Published 1971 by Penguin (first published 1968)

To ask other readers questions about Mosby's Memoirs and Other Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mosby's Memoirs and Other Stories

The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey NiffeneggerThe Adventures of Augie March by Saul BellowIndemnity Only by Sara ParetskyHard Time by Sara ParetskyPresumed Innocent by Scott Turow
Set in Chicago: Fiction
23rd out of 77 books — 82 voters
Pride and Prejudice by Jane AustenThe Great Gatsby by F. Scott FitzgeraldSense and Sensibility by Jane AustenLove's Labor's Lost by William ShakespeareThe War of the Worlds by H.G. Wells
Alliterations
387th out of 684 books — 43 voters

More lists with this book...

Greg
Sep 26, 2011 Greg rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Despite being "Brilliant", a "Major Work", "Extraordinary", and "Masterpieces" I found the six stories in this collection to be good but not exceptional.

I think this was my fourth, or maybe fifth, book of Saul Bellow's that I've read, and so far none of them have done much for me. Augie March I enjoyed better when it was called Studs Lonigan (but not by much, I didn't really enjoy that one so much either)*. Henderson the Rain King I liked better as the one Graham Greene book I read and didn't e
Abailart
Aug 30, 2011 Abailart rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Short stories from over 17 years. A lucky find in a secondhand shop while looking for Roberto Bolano. (I found him behind the sofa later on). Absolutely delightful, and not only that, a tugging to go back to those Americans I gorged on so long ago, Malamud down to Sinclair. Oh, you can never be poor as long as there are libraries and secondhand bookshops.
Dan Pecchenino
Feb 18, 2013 Dan Pecchenino rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The title story drags on, but "Leaving the Yellow House" is a masterpiece about an old desert-she-rat (not what one thinks of as standard Bellow fare) that produces what all good fiction should: sympathy for a largely unlikable person. The rest of the stories are, to greater and lesser degrees, about male panic in the middle of the 20th century. No one did that quite as well as Bellow, though none of the stories in this collection does it quite as well as SEIZE THE DAY.
Liam89
Aug 05, 2014 Liam89 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Six intelligent and amusing stories from Saul Bellow, one of the foremost chroniclers of Jewish-American life. Some were more enjoyable than others, but I wonder if that is because some of the humour does not quite make it all the way across the Atlantic. However when the dialogue and observations work, they dazzle and sparkle as you would expect from the man who translated 'The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock' into Yiddish. My personal favourite was the tale of Dr. Braun, the closing moments of ...more
Katherine
I hated Mosby's Memoirs and Father to be and rabidly loved everything else. but mosby's memoirs made me want to die from boredom. sometimes, satire just gets so caught up in being satire it's only entertaining for the author as he's writing it. i didn't get it, but hope those that did enjoyed it, which seems to be literally everyone except for me. looking for mr green was excellent
علی
کمتر داستانی از "سال بلو" هست که در آن یک یا چند شخصیت "شکست خورده" و "بازنده" نباشند. اما بازندگان بلو کمتر به خط پایان و ناامیدی رسیده اند. آنها باخته اند، تا داستان خود را بگویند، برای آنها که ممکن است روزی ببازند!

Seems Bellow has gatherd a bunch of "failures" ...looks close to James...

رمان های مشهور سال بلو که توسط انتشارات ملی و به پاس نویسنده ای که برنده ی نوبل بوده است، تجدید چاپ شده است.
این طرف ها چاپ های بعدی یک اثر معمولن تغییراتی ولو اندک دارند، که وسوسه ای ست برای دوباره خواندنشان
Ronald Wise
Six short stories written between 1951 and 1968, with a larger variety of protagonists than is usual for Bellow. All were enjoyable to read and a couple of them presented some poignant moments. This collection came to my list when all of Bellow's books were added to my reading list following my enjoyment of his The Dangling Man.
Javier
Jun 07, 2010 Javier rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
She had captured the station, and the pleasure this gave her was enormous. Yet her grievances were true grievances. She was telling the truth. But she behaved like a liar.

***

I want to give this a 4 but people have been giving me hell on my stars and I just can't be having people thinking I'm easy.
Michael
Saul Bellow got awarded a Nobel Prize "for the human understanding and subtle analysis of contemporary culture that are combined in his work". And while I do agree that he is quite good at that, I just don't find the people he describes in this book all that interesting. Maybe it works for you though...
Andrew
Oct 30, 2008 Andrew rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-stories
What real makes these stories so compelling is the skill that Bellow has in combining richly-drawn characters and larger social issues. In Looking for Mr. Green for example, Bellow gives you a portrait of Mr. Grebe and a portrait of the darkest heart of the city. Very interesting stuff.
Melinda
Oct 02, 2007 Melinda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those who like a quiet piece of fiction
When I was in undergrad, Brian Morton would talk about Saul Bellow. It took a roadtrip through Portland, OR, six or so years later, to pick up a book by Bellow. And it is so beautiful, such lovely character-driver fiction.
Mike
Lobstergirl
Jan 27, 2012 Lobstergirl rated it liked it
Recommended to Lobstergirl by: Mstislav Rostropovich
Shelves: own, covers, fiction
Bellow is always worth reading. Still, stories are not my thing. The two best here, that bear rereading, are The Old System and Mosby's Memoirs.
Mario Sugus
Este libro es un conjunto de relatos bastante divertidos, unos mas que otros, pero terminarlo me dejó buen sabor de boca.
Matthew Berkshire
I liked this a lot better than Seize the Day. Short, but very well written.
Sep 12, 2015 Jennifer rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
An uncomfortable read, mostly not in a good way.
Canyon's Mom
Jul 06, 2011 Canyon's Mom rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Highly recommend this writer!!!
TaniaRina
TaniaRina marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2016
Rohan Nijjar
Rohan Nijjar marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2016
Mario F.
Mario F. marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2016
J. Dietz
J. Dietz rated it it was ok
Aug 03, 2016
Yuki
Yuki marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2016
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2016
Logan Robert
Logan Robert rated it really liked it
Jul 12, 2016
Vincenzo Fidomanzo
Vincenzo Fidomanzo rated it liked it
Jun 25, 2016
Jonny Aldridge
Jonny Aldridge rated it really liked it
Jun 11, 2016
Nicolaus
Nicolaus rated it it was amazing
Jun 11, 2016
  • Aha! Insight
  • One Arm and Other Stories
  • The Best American Short Stories 2006
  • The Onion Eaters
Saul Bellow was born in Lachine, Quebec, a suburb of Montreal, in 1915, and was raised in Chicago. He attended the University of Chicago, received his Bachelor's degree from Northwestern University in 1937, with honors in sociology and anthropology, did graduate work at the University of Wisconsin, and served in the Merchant Marine during World War II.

Mr. Bellow's first novel, Dangling Man, was pu
More about Saul Bellow...