Start by marking “The Importance of Being Foolish: How To Think Like Jesus” as Want to Read:
The Importance of Being Foolish: How To Think Like Jesus

The Importance of Being Foolish: How To Think Like Jesus

In the eyes of the world, Jesus was a fool. He did not abide by the rules of his day; the people he associated with were shunned by society; his Sermon on the Mount reads likea primer on being left behind, stepped on, and ignored. In order for us to truly be the people Jesus wants us to be, we too must learn to become "foolish."

Becoming a Christian is not a magical enterpr
Published October 5th 2010 by HarperCollins e-books (first published June 28th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Importance of Being Foolish, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Importance of Being Foolish

Susanne
Feb 11, 2013 Susanne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religion, 2013
One of the most profound and impacting books I have read in a very long time. This book is an absolute must read! I must confess, I underlined about 30% of the book, and plan to re-read it again immediately. I feel sure that it is impossible to get all it has to offer, on the first read.
Meghan
May 03, 2009 Meghan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This short book by Brennan Manning is a revised version of a previous work from 1976, which he describes as written with “a little bit more grace and humility” the second time around. And it’s a good thing. I can’t imagine reading it without the compassion and understanding that comes peppered throughout. I probably could have used more.

The Ragamuffin Gospel, also by Manning, is one of my top five favorite books, mostly because it revolutionized my view of God’s value system. It is absolutely o
Karen Wondercheck
Jun 05, 2013 Karen Wondercheck rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is not my favorite Brennan Manning book, that would be "The Ragaumuffin Gospel" and "The Furious Longing of God", but it did speak to me and encourage me to continue to strive to think with the mind of Christ, who in the eyes of the world, was a fool. In 1 Cor. 1:18 "The message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God." This book reminds me that if I am not intentionally seeking the mind of Christ I am depriving mysel ...more
Ben
Feb 11, 2013 Ben rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is probably the best book I've read so far this year!

I offer the following as a quote to captivate you:

“A gentle revolution will come through a little cadre of Christian fools who are willing to overthrow the established order by arranging their lives around the mind of Christ. Their question is transparency through truthfulness, and their lifestyles will be shaped by the gospel of Jesus Christ. If ‘truth consists in the mind’s giving to things the importance they have in reality,’ in the w
Abi Cadell
Mar 31, 2009 Abi Cadell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book strongly advocates foolishness - that is, foolishness in the eyes of the world. Brennan Manning suggests that instead of following our instinctive desire for security, pleasure and power we choose to let the reality of Jesus and his sacrifice fill our lives. As he points out, too many Christians are half-hearted about living a Christ like lifestyle. Jesus' commands in the gospels set out an incredibly radical way of life.

This is a thought-provoking and very important book. (Also, I lik
Todd Wilhelm
Jun 20, 2015 Todd Wilhelm rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Typical Manning. Insightful, honest, and challenging. I have liked every book of his that I've read.

"The last desire that hinders us from putting on the mind of Jesus Christ is the lust for power. In his ministry, Jesus rejected any display of power except the power of the Holy Spirit. Unlike "the kings of the Gentiles [who] lord it over them" (Luke 22:25), the disciples were not to exercise authority. The Lord himself performed the menial service of the slave at the door by washing the dusty fe
Brooke
Feb 04, 2016 Brooke rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not my favorite of Manning's works, but some good take-aways none the less.
Mar 17, 2015 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jesus
If you like Brennan Manning and have read most of his books, add this one to the list. Convicting is not the word I would use to describe most of his books, but it certainly describes this one. He expounds on what it means to follow Jesus, particularly in laying all our sins and failures at His feet.
I couldn't tell you an overarching theme, like "grace" for The Ragamuffin Gospel or "accepting God's delight" for Ruthless Trust (my personal favorite), but this one is not meaningless.
Again, if yo
Vaughn Bender
Feb 19, 2015 Vaughn Bender rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book title was a bit confusing at first. When I first started reading through the first few chapters I was trying to connect some sort of dots to relate why the book was called "the importance of being foolish" but it wasn't until I read through half the book the idea of the title was starting to form in my mind. This book is not very similarly written like his others and that is ok. Mr Manning touches on a few key points such as blessings, transparency, security, pleasure, and power and wh ...more
Relstuart
Jan 10, 2011 Relstuart rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: faith, philosophy
Manning's book "The Ragamuffin Gospel" hit me like a bolt of fire and tears. One of the most important books I've read leading me to a better understanding of grace and deepened my relationship with my heavenly father. I told myself that I should not have expectations that this book would be similarly powerful. Yet in the back of my mind I think I still hoped it would be. I was initially disappointed. Probably because of my high expectations. But part of it was because the as the author admitted ...more
Andrew
Jun 18, 2007 Andrew rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
this review first appeared on [http://intraspace.blogspot.com]

this is a book i found sitting on a table at my mum's house and decided to take with me.

brennan manning is a franciscan priest best known for his book 'the ragamuffin gospel' (which i also have in my possession - review sometime in the future). faced with the choice of reading this book and 'the ragamuffin gospel', i decided to read this one because i like the cover design...

in the event, it turned out to be one of the most impacting
Deborah Humphreys
Brennan clearly makes the case for "Has God not made foolish the wisdom of the world?" I Cor. 1:20. To have the mind of Christ compels me to examine my heart, laying it bear for the God' love to freely enter. This can only be done when I lay down my quest for security, pleasure and power offered by the world. Then I can hear God tell me who I really am. I am his beloved child. He can fill me with compassion, kingdom purpose, and all that Jesus was and is and will be.

I absolutely loved this book
Michael
Aug 04, 2015 Michael rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The book is insightful and full of knowledge about the gospels. While I was hoping for more about Brennan's life, I was pleasantly surprised at his knowledge of both the gospel and many saints. The writing is also great and makes it easy to read. Most times writers focus on sources to back up their points but Manning does a great job with transitions and relating it to the present world.
David Meldrum
Dynamite for the comfortable Christian, sitting in the tradition of books like Bonhoeffer's "The Cost Of Discipleship', this is a call to take Jesus seriously. It's not as theologically developed as that book, but is deply powerful and challenging.
Wally Segieda
Apr 19, 2015 Wally Segieda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Essential Manning

Brennan Manning understands what being a Christian means more than just about any other writer. His insights will melt your heart...
Thatkliqkid
Jan 29, 2016 Thatkliqkid rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing book, really helped me think about Christ, His focus and my focus on Him.
Pam I.
To be a Christian is to be transformed, but are we willing to be like Jesus was in the eyes of the world: foolish.....not playing the fool or silly, but living in a way considered ridiculous in the eyes of the world(ly). Manning looks at the worldly mind focused on power, security and pleasure versus the focus of Christ's mind: communion with the Father, forgiving love, compassion for others and selfless service. A good read to determine if one is just playing spiritual games, or truly among the ...more
Laurie
Sep 14, 2009 Laurie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The title of this book wasn't really tied into anything until the very end of the book. What the author is saying is pretty much what all the other religious books I've been reading have said: Christians don't act like Christians and we need to start! We need to start acting more like Jesus, thinking like Jesus, and not degrading what happened on the cross. I like the author's idea, but I don't think it was properly executed in this book. And when there is a typo on the first page, you know it's ...more
Cássia Fernanda
Nov 26, 2012 Cássia Fernanda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cônscio
Em um mundo egoísta e hedonista, o autor no traz essa obra maravilhosa apontando a realidade do evangelho e nos convidando a seguí-la, o que é definido como convite à loucura, baseado no ritmo em que as coisas andam na atualidade. Vem com a verdade nua e crua, tentando resgatar valores há muito deixados de lado. De tantas informações, este livro requer, não por nível de dificuldade, mas por construção intelectual, atenção e mergulho. Espero que vocês também gostem e se sintam tocados, como eu me ...more
Doutor Branco
Mar 02, 2016 Doutor Branco rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lidos-em-2016
Um belo livro sobre espiritualidade.
Thomas
Dec 09, 2013 Thomas rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a good book, but not a great one. Despite absolutely loving The Ragamuffin Gospel (TRG), also by Brennan Manning, I was somewhat disappointed by this book. I would figure that over half of the book is just a re-hash of his previous one, and there doesn't seem to be a coherent theme such as in TRG.

I would say that you need to read this one first, but that would just make TRG seem like a re-hash; and it is a much more superior book.
Ainsley
Sep 05, 2015 Ainsley rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2015
Brennan Manning is always so good, for me it's just a matter of degrees of good. And his heart as always here is to help people weed out the really Real from so much spiritual clatter. I enjoyed reading this book a few pages at a time, then meditating on it. But somehow it was surprisingly easy to put down (versus Abba's Child, say) and somewhat uneven, so three stars.
Pete Kieffer
Jan 02, 2013 Pete Kieffer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was very inspired by this book. Manning pulls no punches in describing what is a stake when we take on the mind of Jesus. He has no time for the moralistic "Sunday Christian"--- Jesus, the Cross, and the Resurrection must become the center of our life. The Importance of Being Foolish, calls us to an authentic passionate Christian life.
Mikkee
Aug 11, 2011 Mikkee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't think I have read anything by Brennan Manning that hasn't challenged me to consider the cost of following Christ. If you are looking for another great book by Manning, that will challenge you in your pursuit of God, I highly recommend, The Importance of Being Foolish. The title alone should do it:).
Angelia
Apr 05, 2008 Angelia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was reminded of the heart and passion of Jesus in this book. The call for all believers to love God with all their heart, soul and mind. A very uplifting book. Brennan Manning is an incredible writer that can really move you towards wanting to walk closer with God.
Donna
Apr 22, 2010 Donna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I very much like the writing of Brennan Manning as I am also reading The Ragamuffin Gospel and Reckless Trust. He is sometime challenging and most often encouraging in matters of faith and living. He has so many great stories within his books of people and their experiences.
Danielle Lira
Adorei. Gosto de ler esse autor porque seus conceitos me ajudam recuperar o ânimo em viver as bem-aventuranças de Jesus. Coisas do tipo perdoar 70x7, dar a outra face, correr mais uma milha ... coisas que de louco, segundo a sabedoria do mundo ...
Dawn
Jan 05, 2014 Dawn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Manning's book is a beautiful, challenging discussion of Christ.
Janice
Jan 06, 2012 Janice rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
this book made me think hard about my walk with Christ. there were parts of the book that made me uncomfortable because of how true they were. i'm probably going to read it again just to drive it even deeper.
Debbie
This humbling, extremely challenging book made me examine my Christian walk in a way none other has. I would benefit from numerous readings and will continue to read Manning's works.
  • Spiritual Formation: Following the Movements of the Spirit
  • Chasing Daylight: Seize the Power of Every Moment
  • This Beautiful Mess: Practicing the Presence of the Kingdom of God
  • The Pressure's Off: There's a New Way to Live
  • The Secret Message of Jesus: Uncovering the Truth That Could Change Everything
  • Finding God in Unexpected Places
  • Renovation of the Heart
  • Revolution
  • Surrender to Love: Discovering the Heart of Christian Spirituality
  • Prayer: Finding the Heart's True Home
  • Leap Over a Wall: Earthy Spirituality for Everyday Christians
  • Let Go
  • Things Unseen: Living in Light of Forever
  • No More Christian Nice Guy: When Being Nice--Instead of Good--Hurts Men, Women and Children
  • Adventures in Missing the Point: How the Culture-Controlled Church Neutered the Gospel
  • The Christian Culture Survival Guide: The Misadventures of an Outsider on the Inside
Richard Francis Xavier Manning, known as Brennan Manning (April 27, 1934 – April 12, 2013)was an American author, friar, priest, contemplative and speaker.Born and raised in Depression-era New York City, Manning finished high school, enlisted in the US Marine Corps, and fought in the Korean War. After returning to the United States, he enrolled at Saint Francis University in Loretto, Pennsylvania. ...more
More about Brennan Manning...

“Self-deception is the enemy of wholeness because it prevents us from seeing ourselves as we really are. It covers up our lack of growth in the Spirit of the truthful One and keeps us from coming to terms with our real personalities.” 2 likes
“Insecurity not only paralyzes our relationship with the living God but has a devastating effect on interpersonal relationships. It is the starting point of all social estrangement. It breaks down openness, which is the bridge to the existential world of the other. It undermines real communication and causes a kind of rupture in the evolution of authentic personality.” 1 likes