Start by marking “Un-Brella” as Want to Read:
Un-Brella

Un-Brella

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  182 ratings  ·  52 reviews
A little girl opens an umbrella on a snowy day--and the sun shines out from inside and flowers spring from the frozen ground! Jump ahead to spring, where the magical un-brella provides snow for snow angels and sledding across the green grass. Newcomer Scott Franson's accomplished clever visual storytelling artwork showcases imagination, exploration--and a little bit of mag ...more
Published April 3rd 2007 by Roaring Brook Press

To ask other readers questions about Un-Brella, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Un-Brella

The Arrival by Shaun TanFlotsam by David WiesnerTuesday by David WiesnerThe Snowman by Raymond BriggsGood Dog, Carl by Alexandra Day
Wordless Picture Books
51st out of 138 books — 217 voters
Why the Sun and the Moon Live in the Sky by Elphinstone DayrellBlue Sky by Audrey WoodThe Phlunk's Worldwide Symphony by Lou RhodesCloudette by Tom LichtenheldCome On, Rain! by Karen Hesse
Picture Books About the Sky
94th out of 101 books — 3 voters

More lists with this book...

Crystal Marcos
Un-Brella is a perfect starter wordless book for the very young. Although, I am not very young and I appreciate it! My daughter is almost two and she was mesmerized by it. We read it three times in a row and afterwards she flipped through it herself. Later that day, her cousin came over and she had me read it to them both. He is a little younger than her and he also enjoyed it. They had fun finding reoccurring lady bugs and bees in the pictures. I had fun watching them delight in the book. The a ...more
Erica J
Un Brella is a wordless book that explores the tale of a little girl whose magic umbrella allows her to reverse the weather. The illustrations are magnificent. This book would be excellent for a first grade class. You could definitely utilize this book for an awesome writing lesson to create a written story. I would preview it with a small group and ask questions that would elicit my students' thoughts. I would have them observe what is happening in the story and compose their own story. I would ...more
Christine
We loved this book! No words, just pictures, and lots of imagination! The illustrations are just fantastic. I only wish the book were larger, to better show them off. There are so many detours you can take with this simple book. Opposites, predicting what will happen next, asking yourselves "what would I do if I had a magic umbrella?", asking "would you go outside in the snow dressed in a swimsuit?", the list goes on. I read it to 8 classes and the questions and comments were different in each g ...more
Ellen Brandt
In this wordless book, a magic Un-Brella enables a little girl to change the season to whatever she is in the mood for.
In the beginning of the story, it is winter, but the girl gets dressed in a swimsuit and sunglasses! We discuss what type of clothes she SHOULD wear in the winter and WHY. We notice that she has pictures on her wall for each of the 4 seasons – but something is wrong (there is a snowman in every picture). We notice that there is something different about this book (no words! You
Vivian
When Lucy enters Narnia she meets the Faun, Mr. Tumnus, near the lampost. Mr. Tumnus offers the use of his umbrella and invites Lucy to join him for tea. We could have made this week's theme "Stranger Danger" but instead we featured "Umbrella" stories and "Tea Party" stories. We began with this wordless fantasy.

The children loved the idea of an un-brella that changed winter weather to summer and then spring weather back to winter. Since there are no words in the book the story is created by "dia
Debbie
I loved this book. It is about a little girl who is probably about 4 years old (pre school age) because she not in school. She has drawings on the wall and she has a huge imagination. It looks like she is from a middle class family from the picture of her house and the items she has around her bedroom like swim fins, gold fish, pictures on the wall, umbrella, sun glasses, desk and books(maybe that is a strange observation). She looks outside and it is snowing. She decides to go out in her swimsu ...more
Amy Carr
This is a really fun book for preschoolers! It is a wordless story about a little girl with a really magic umbrella! My 3-year old can't get enough of this book and loves to climb in to my lap and announce that she is going to read the book to me! The illustrations are clever and engaging and the story lends itself to a great discussion about what your child would do with a magic umbrella...or what they would do if their favorite stuff animal came to life...or if their Polly Pockets could talk!
Terry
May 28, 2011 Terry marked it as to-read
Crystal Marcos (goodreads) recommendation:

Jeanine Madden
If you’re wishing for the weather to change, this is the book for you. This book is about a magical umbrella that changes the weather. On a snowy day outside, everything under this umbrella is green and warm like summer. However, on a warm day outside, everything is snowy under this umbrella. This is a fun book done in cut-paper illustrations. This would be great for pairing with Totally Polar by Mary Crisp.
Alyssa (The Shady Glade)
I have to say I'm a sucker for good illustrations. I don't have any children of my own, and I've "outgrew" picture books awhile ago, but I still love them. But it's all about the illustrations.

This book has wonderful illustrations! The wordless storyline is cute and fun, and this is definitely a book I want to pass on to the children I do know. But oh, I loved the pictures so much!
Judi Paradis
An UNbrella doesn't protect you from the rain, it changes the weather. This cute wordless book has an appealing heroine who heads outside in the snow with her swim gear and enjoys a lovely beach day thanks to her trusty unbrella. But when summer comes, and she misses the snowmen, she can handle that too. Lots of fun to share with little kids.
Min
Loved this picture book! I loved the detailed drawings and the fun concept. My 1st grader brought it home as part of his homework, and I immediately loved it. What was even more fun was when we saw the author on the back flap and realized that my husband had gone to USU with him (Mike was an undergrad when Scott was finishing his grad work.)
April Poulter
This book is darling! It is a wordless picture book so you get the fun of creating the story and dialogue as you look at the pictures. Kids love doing this because they get to hear or give a new story every time it is read.
The artwork is a lot of fun! It has lots of patterns and details which make it kind of busy, but it works for this book. Because it is wordless the artwork sets the tone for the book - exciting, bright, cheerful, fun.
The idea of an un-brella - an umbrella that changes the weat
Melanie
Ever wish that you had a magical umbrella that would give you different weather from the rest of the world oustide? This little girl has one! With charming illustrations and not one word of text, this book really allows your imagination to tell the story!
Suzanne
This is a wonderful book for beginning reading skills. It is a wordless book that teaches children to read the pictures from top to bottom left to right, and, though wordless, it tells a great story that makes children think!:)
Katelyn Youngblood
I don't know how much cuter a book can get! I've always wished that there was a way for me to have some sunshine during the winter, and some winter during the summer. Through the adorable illustrations that are shown throughout this book, we are able to see just how an umbrella can turn any season, into a good time. The whole time I was reading it, I was wishing for a magical umbrella like the little girls! This story could be used in many ways to teach children about seasons as we are able to s ...more
Victoria
I love the digital snowflakes, by the way, no two are the same. Scott Franson was one of Jenedy's instructors. This is the type of Un-brella you want when the weather is not perfect. Great illustrations.
Tanya W
Well, so many 5 star children's books. This is a wordless story with darling artwork, geared toward younger children. My children loved it.
Marni
Cute cute wordless story. Fun, imaginative story, my kids were tickled by what this little girl does with her "un-brella."
Christina
Very cute! It's only pictures, but they're adorable! I met the illustrator, and he's a great guy!
DixieJo
super cute no words book about a magic unbrella. I want one!
Carol
I really, really hope Scott Franson creates more books!
Mar 23, 2014 Sarah rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: march
Un-Brella is a wordless picture book that tells the story of a girl that can control the seasons with her un-brella. The illustrations for this book are so creative. They are bright and colorful and look as if they are computer generated. This book would be great to use as a teaching tool to teach students about different activities you can do in each of the seasons.
Julianna
This book is cute and a little strange, but an overall pretty interesting story. I don't really like the illustrations though and I don't know if I agree with the moral that the book might be giving off, that we shouldn't appreciate the weather like it is but always try to change it. Its an interesting wordless picture book though, and I did enjoy looking at it.
Brittany
I give this book a five! It is really cute, and the art is wonderful. I recommend this to any teacher or parent! I really want to buy this one for my kids and for my career. The little girl has an umbrella that undoes the snowy weather that she is surrounded by. It was really cute!
Sydney
I thought that this book was weird. Of course it is also for children. This is a wordless picture book so children can look through it themselves. I can see how children would enjoy looking at this picture book because of how weird it is.
Liz Carrillo
un-brella is an amazing book, so cute and adorable. it is pretty much the dream life of a child. i recommend it to all ages because im sure the young ones will love it and i enjoy it as a grown up so best wordless book by far
Ashley
This book was so cute and I loved the illustrations! I felt that this story clears depicts most people's feelings when it comes to the seasons. In summer you wish it was winter, and in winter you wish it was summer. Also I felt that since the author didn't use words to tell the story it enhanced it.
Nicole Clark
This book is very creative with the artwork and the story line. This little girl umbrella has can change the seasons for were she stands. This book made me laugh and smile the whole way through.
Mrs. Brandt