The Beloved Dead

The Beloved Dead (The Arthurian Mysteries #3)

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  73 ratings  ·  23 reviews
Malgwyn ap Cuneglas was one of King Arthur’s earliest companions and now is his most trusted counselor. Despite themalice of his enemies, who fear Arthur’s power, and the machinations of the still powerful druids who mightily resist him, Malgwyn knows that Arthur will stop at nothing in his efforts to lead his people to Christ and help to bring civil law and justice to a p...more
Published March 29th 2011 by Forge Books

Eh?Eh!
Apr 07, 2011 Eh?Eh! is currently reading it
Hmm. I signed up for this giveaway because I have loveloveloved some very fine takes on the Arthurian legend over the years and they make my ears (eyes?) perk up. I vaguely noted that the blurb seemed odd, and when I received it I realized the problem: the subtitle is An Arthurian Mystery. Noooooooo! Mystery is one of the genres that make my eyes glaze over. I notice the gr title wasn't updated for this series name until about a week after I won it...call it a lesson learned. Thoroughly research...more
Zorena
I received this book through Goodreads first-reads giveaway.

I've been a fan of the Arthurian legends ever since I can remember and have read a fair quantity of books and references on it so I was very happy to have won this book. I was, however, surprised to find out it was a mystery. Fortunately I am also a Cadfael fan!

The book was no disappointment when it came to location and information from that time period. The mystery was meshed in nicely with the storyline instead of feeling like an adde...more
Harvee
4.5/5 stars! Excellent medieval mystery and romance! Loved the spinoff on the Arthurian legends. Full review and author's guest post.
LaLine
I received the book for free through Goodreads First Reads giveaway.

Not a bad read. Followed a similar storytelling path that good mysteries generally follow and keeps you wondering about who the murderer is until you fit the pieces together. However, there were some things that made it harder for to get into and stay engaged.

I had a hard time really caring about the main character (or any of them, really) - perhaps because I haven't read the first two books in the series. I was a little frustra...more
Lyndsay
When I first started this book, after I won it through First reads, (yay for First reads!) I wondered if I would really be able to get into it or get involved enough to be really interested. After the first few chapters, that wasn't a problem. I think this is a Sherlock Holmes-esque medieval mystery. I really enjoyed the book, and the suspense was great. It kept me turning the pages until I finished the majority of the book in an evening. I liked that the main character was smart and strong, but...more
Alan
Again, my comments on book one "The Killing Way" hold for this one too.
This book has two main story lines.
In the first Arthur has been convinced by the other members of the alliance that for the sake of Briton he should marry the daughter of one of the leaders from the north. Malgywn's job here is to negotiate the marriage agreement. Malgywn is, of course, against the marriage and believes that Arthur should Guinevere (who happens to be Malgywn's cousin). But Malgywn negotiates the wedding cont...more
Judy
May 13, 2011 Judy rated it 3 of 5 stars Recommends it for: King Arthur fans
I am always intrigued by any version of the King Arthur tale. The Beloved Dead is the third in the Arthurian Mysteries series by Tony Hays. Each volume entwines King Arthur's life and ascension to High King with a murder mystery. Of course a murder needs a detective and sure enough Arthur had his own private investigator, Malgwyn, who was also his most trusted adviser.

Also true to murder mystery form, Malgwyn had personal troubles: deep grief over the slaughter of his beloved wife by Saxons and...more
Lbaker
I've never read an Arthurian mystery before, and I enjoyed the setting and the "history".

The male characters were engaging, the female ones a little stereotypical.

The mystery itself was easily narrowed down to three possible suspects, one seemed too obvious which left two possibilities and midway through the book I guessed which of the two, and was correct. However, it was not too obvious and I did need to wait until the end to confirm.

The relationship between the hero and King Arthur did not...more
Sara
I won this in a firstreads giveaway.

I found this book to be a quick enjoyable read. I'm only somewhat familiar with Arthurian tales but was able to easily follow this story (which seems to be set fairly early in Arthur's reign?)

The main character, Malgwyn, is a friend of Arthur and has a knack for thinking about things differently which enables him to solve mysteries. There weren't too many suspects so it was somewhat easy to narrow it down and yet the author still kept it interesting and left...more
Carol Gibson
This is the third book in Tony Hays Arthurian mystery series. This one dealt more with dealing with a serial killer and less political intrigue than the others. I think we tend to think of serial killers as a rather new crime. Before Jack the Ripper you don't hear as much about them. But knowing that some humans are just broken I have to believe these monsters have always been with us.

This was a first rate mystery with the clues laid out. The author did not cheat and spring the killer on us out...more
Ivy
I enjoyed the detail put into this story, like the references to past stories of Arthur and Merlin. I also was intrigued and captivated with the story, and how it kept you looking to many of its characters as possible culprits of the horrific murders. I do have to admit, this kind of story is not within the usual genre that I read, but it managed to keep my attention, so much so that I could not put it down until I finished it. Overall, great read and excellent detail.
Phair
Good as always but I found the murders offputting. I thought I knew who the killer was before the end - close, but no cigar. Some interesting little twists in the Arthurian aspects but the author included an afterword that explained his reasoning. Strong feel for the period- not the bright shiny Camelot but a rather more dirty, rough and often brutal historical look at the Arthur and company that just might have been. I'll continue to follow this series.
Kalyn
I liked this installment of the Arthurian Mysteries. The characters are more developed now and the writing of the mystery is tighter. I like the situation of the first book more (this one seems too large and with too many political implications to be comfortable in the setting) but it's a fine addition to the series.
Gene
The latest entry in this Arthurian mystery series is close in quality to The Killing Way and Divine Sacrifice, and I like the author's historical approach to the period. The crimes investigated are despicable, and the protagonist's reactions are a bit predictable. I hope that this series continues.
Melanie
Hmmm whilst this was my least favorite idea for a story (Arthur takimng a wife other that Gwen) I have to say now that I know the characters I feel it was very well written and a very clever new take on a story that many of us thought we knew V""V
Kara

Most mystery series will have a serial killer pop up at some point or another. This one is particular gruesome – and particularly obvious. If I could figure it out, well, then it MUST have been obvious.
Enjee
Longer this time, but it was easy to stay with it. A good mystery; still ignores the illness, filth and wretchedness of the sixth century. Someone can be a broken sicko no matter when they live.
Cassie
Not what I expected but really good. Never read any of the previous books but was still able to keep up and enjoy the mystery. I had a little bit of trouble getting into it at the beginning.
Leslie Roper
Feb 27, 2011 Leslie Roper marked it as to-read
I read the first one in the series, The Killing Way, and Tony Hays has the perfect combination of history and imagination in this series. I am eager to read them all.
Jennifer TheLitWitch
4.5 stars to this Arthurian mystery. Our full review is available on The Lit Witch: A Book Blog here http://www.thelitwitch.com/?p=3759
Basia Barbara
Could not get into reading it at all. Clsed book after Chapter1. Returned to the library.
Kelly
Barely made it ten pages before I gave up. I like Arthurian novels, not this one.
Ron
Interesting twist on druids, serial killing and the mystery of Arthur.
Barb
Barb added it
Mar 16, 2014
Clint
Clint marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2014
Natajia
Natajia marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2014
Sorshaliz
Sorshaliz marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2014
Johnny
Johnny marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2014
  • Dark Moon of Avalon (Twilight of Avalon, #2)
  • Sons of Avalon: Merlin's Prophecy
  • Prince of Dreams: A Tale of Tristan and Esyllte
  • The Lion Wakes (Kingdom Series, #1)
  • The Ill-Made Knight
  • The Lady of the Sea (Tristan and Isolde, #3)
  • I Am Morgan le Fay
  • Camelot's Blood (The Paths to Camelot, #4)
  • Spoil of War
  • Persona Non Grata (Gaius Petreius Ruso, #3)
  • The Bloody Cup (King Arthur, #3)
  • The Excalibur Murders (Merlin Investigation, #1)
  • Poison (Legacy, #2)
  • Captain From Castile
  • Queen of the Summer Stars (Guinevere, #2)
A native of Madison, Tennessee, Tony spent his teenage years on a farm about 10 miles southeast of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. Although he had dreamed of being a writer since childhood, it was only after a brief career as a university administrator that he began to come into his own. Initially, he was awarded an undergraduate degree in history and a MA in educational psychology from Tennessee Technol...more
More about Tony Hays...
The Killing Way (Arthurian Mysteries, #1) The Stolen Bride The Divine Sacrifice Murder on the Twelfth Night Murder in the Latin Quarter