Start by marking “Interpreting the Prophetic Word: An Introduction to the Prophetic Literature of the Old Testament” as Want to Read:

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  43 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Instead of seeking a juxtaposition between the message of Moses and the prophets and that of our Lord and his apostles, the author advances the thesis that our Lord and the apostles confirmed that the message of the prophets is most relevant for individual and community ethics, for the development of godliness, and for the encouragement of living with hope and vision.
Published August 6th 1996 by Zondervan

To ask other readers questions about Interpreting the Prophetic Word, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Interpreting the Prophetic Word

Eric Chappell
Janelle
Jun 26, 2008 Janelle rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people who want to study the Old Testament prophets
Recommended to Janelle by: Brain Morgan
I first read this for a class in the prophets back in 2004. Since then, I have returned to it as a reference several times. VanGemeren does an outstanding job of combining historical context, literary structure, theme, message and application.

One of the elements I found most helpful, especially the first time through, was the fact that at the end of each chapter the author included a list of questions and issues that would be suitable for group discussion or for individual study.

This is not a v
Mike Awtry
A pretty good resource and overview of the prophetical books. It's a bit dry, but it works best as a reference and summary of each book.
Nathan Smith
This is probably one of the best books I've covered about Biblical prophecy. I read it while in class with the author and therefore saw many of the amazing insights come to life in his lectures. I'm a biased big fan of Dr. Vangemeren so this is not a fair review other than the fact that the material is out of the box and it honors more than just the tradition that it was born out of.
Jinny
Dr. vanGemeren provides different frameworks for looking at the Old Testament in this book and makes excellent connections to the New Testament as well. He's a very entertaining professor.
Brett
Pretty good. Introductions for all the prophetic books. Demonstrates how the prophets warned against political pragmatism and majority rule. Lots of contemporary relevance.
Galyn Wiemers
I am using this book (again) to study the meaning of "the day of the Lord"
Jeff Boettcher
Good resource for studying the prophets. A little dry, but very helpful
Adam Talbott
An amazing summary of themes from the Biblical prophets.
Shawn
Good introduction to the prophets.
Blake Reas
Blake Reas is currently reading it
Oct 26, 2014
Maria
Maria marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2014
Marcus
Marcus marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2014
Jacob Walker
Jacob Walker marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2014
James Asiedu
James Asiedu marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2013
Andrew
Andrew added it
Oct 08, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
New International Dictionary of Old Testament Theology and Exegesis The Progress of Redemption: The Story of Salvation from Creation to the New Jerusalem A Guide to Old Testament Theology and Exegesis Interpreting the Prophetic Word New International Dictionary Of Old Testament Theology & Exegesis