Start by marking “Short Stories From Rabindranath Tagore” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Short Stories From Rab...

Rabindranath Tagore

Short Stories From Rabindranath Tagore

4.19  ·  Rating Details ·  3,060 Ratings  ·  56 Reviews
The sixteen short stories collected here were written between 1891 and 1917 by the Bengali poet, writer, painter, musician and mystic, Sir Rabindranath Tagore (1861-1941). Throughout these stories, Tagore's main interest is people and the kaleidoscope of human emotions, as men and women struggle with the restrictions and prohibitions of contemporary Hindu society.
Kindle Edition
Published (first published 1983)

Corinne
This is a beautiful collection of short stories. Although the stories are somewhat driven by fates, the protagonists are original in their actions, and the themes linger in mind long after I put them down. Tagore has great insight in human psyche and behavior
J.G. Keely
This collection has a very strong start: the first few stories are gems, just wonderfully-well crafted, evocative, sympathetic tales of life. There are humorous clever bits and heartbreaking bits, and it all has the ring of truth about it. I kept getting hints of this in The Home and The World, but Tagore couldn't seem to sustain it.

Unfortunately, that proves to be true here, as well, as several of the stories don't quite come together, and get hung-up on clumsy construction. My previous complai
Anya
Jan 30, 2016 Anya marked it as defcon-3  ·  review of another edition
Watching tv during dinner is a family ritual in our house. I generally stay away from tv, but tv during dinner time is sacred to me.

So these days, the 'rents and I have been watching Stories by Rabindranath Tagore and they are so lovely in their quaintness that it makes me weep. (I just had a good weepfest while watching Kabuliwaala) I have read a couple of these stories as a child but they were scattered over the years so I don't remember much. I grew up in West Bengal so I had become fluent i
Chaitali Chakraborty
I am a Bengali, and have read all these stories in Bengali language. When I read the same in English, I had a thought passing. There are some expressions that are innate and inherent to one specific language. No other language in the entire world can capture the exact emotion. I love his work.Although, I enjoyed reading the same in my language better, nevertheless a book that would open the ajar door of Bengali emotions completely. I guess my other Bengali friends would feel the same.
Sherry
I just joined the Iconic India challenge in the History Group. And this is one I chose to read. One of India's greatest writers, he captures a feeling of the life of India in his stories. Much like Anton Chekhov does for Russia. He tells his stories without judgement. We are left to draw our own conclusions. Unlike the west, death in this framework is never the end to be avoided. There is a gentle fatalism that is not devoid of hope. People can change, sometimes they do and sometimes they don't ...more
Megha Chakraborty
Thid book doesn't need any review. The story never gets old. So many emotions. Genius Genius man.
Julia
Feb 20, 2011 Julia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: india, short-stories
Amazing short stories which bridge time and space as only real classics can do. Subtle characterizations, painful insights and light irony - need to read more of this.
Gazala
Mar 16, 2016 Gazala rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Though I am not too fond of Indian writers, the authors that wrote in earlier times had such a fine command over the language that a lot of new-gen Indian authors lack . Tagore happens to be one of those who never disappoints.
With realistic portrayals and stories that touch one's hearts and move us in gentle ways , these short stories are no exception and provide to us reading material that targets the heart.

While I've read some of these stories in school , it has been a pleasure to read them
Pranjali
Recently finished short stories by Tagore. I don't have much to say, it would be like showing lamp to sun. these are simple, soul touching stories. After reading this you will find how progressive and beyond time Tagore's thinking was. Most of these stories are relevant even today. You should probably read this to properly understand, not only bengal but the journey of india as a society.
Omar
Jul 16, 2012 Omar rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: indian-historic
Each and every story in this collection rings of classic Tagore. For anyone looking to delve into the universe of India's greatest author and thinker, the collection of Short Stories is probably the best place to start. As far as the stories go, each is my favorite, and that being that most were translated by Tagore himself, they are a gem to read. Highly recommend it!
Dhruv  Khosla
Dec 28, 2014 Dhruv Khosla rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The endings are a little repetitive and become predictable after you have read the first few stories. The somber tone of the stories is, maybe, representative of the times in which they were written. A quick read, and definitely worth one!
Maria Z
Feb 22, 2015 Maria Z rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant. Makes you fall in love with literature again and again.
Dhara Parekh
Jul 08, 2016 Dhara Parekh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've read Tagore's stories as a kid and was always touched by varying emotions that his characters and plot held. As an adult, his tone of writing has exceptionally awed me. His writing style can effortlessly strike a chord with you in a way that makes you long for the familiarity and nostalgia that is found in his works. All the short stories in this version have powerful themes and messages. None of stories' protagonist were bland. They were all emotional and psychologically multi layered, whi ...more
Meera
Jan 06, 2016 Meera rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Short stories by Rabindranath Tagore – A collection of ten short stories written by Rabindranath Tagore Nobel laureate in Literature. Rabindranath Tagore was as a writer, a poet, and a painter. The stories are all set in the background of Bengal. Each story is unique and simple in its own way. The stories interesting mainly revolve around people and relationships. Not all story have happy endings though! The Cabuliwallah; was my personal favourite.
Paul
Jul 01, 2007 Paul rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'll use this one book to symbolize all the Tagore story compilations I've read. It's sometimes difficult to take Tagore in large doses -- his characters almost always end up defeated by their own flaws, or by societal forces. But this bleakness is also almost always accompanied by a subtle but clear ironic narrative outlook. What I find fascinating about Tagore is how his characters are so clear and human even though they exist in such an alien culture.
Isha
Jun 16, 2015 Isha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of the reason why I want to learn Bengali, just so that I can read his original scripts. Though translated copies do get me emotional as it should. But I still wonder what an unadulterated version would make me feel like.

One of the Genius who understood simple human emotions. Love each of his stories. Kabuliwallah being my favourite
Vikram T
Dec 07, 2015 Vikram T rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A collection of sad stories

When a Bengali story is translated, you expect it to be a tragedy. And most of the stories in this book were.
Tagore's characters don't have an iota of extravagance. Almost as if they're alive.
Read this only if you can read a story and get it out of your mind quickly. If you can't, they're powerful enough to push you into grief.
Rashmi Lohkna
Jul 16, 2015 Rashmi Lohkna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Set in 30's Calcutta,Rabindranath Tagore's stories seems like a justified narration of life of people living back than.The simplicity of their intentions, complexity of emotions... and purity of characters is something every story carries forward.
If not inspired by true stories, fiction is at most believable platform here.
Hemant Rajput
All stories of Rabindranath Tagore had that dangling ending. In all the stories, I can see was the shades of sorrow that every character has gone though in his/her life. Though in the end things gets better a bit, but it still has the touch of gloominess in it. Stories are close to real life experiences rather than imaginary happy world.

Aditya Patil
Apr 26, 2016 Aditya Patil rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm amazed by how this man wrote a 100 years ago! Definitely ahead of his time! Very poignant stories, some outright saddening! But every story was worth more than its words. No wonder he got Nobel prize for literature. I'm looking forward to reading 'Gitanjali', his piece which got him that prize.
Pradeep Av
Aug 13, 2016 Pradeep Av rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Will strike a chord for the familiarity and the nostalgic feeling. But some of the stories were very somber.
Girish karnad statement suddenly flashed-"He is the greatest poet but he is not the same in plays/short stories ".
May be some essence were lost in translation.
Salah Uddin
Aug 12, 2014 Salah Uddin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable reading

the original text written by the well known poet Rabindranath Tagore had been translated into simple English, apparently for the school students learning English. Nevertheless the simple language makes the reading more enjoyable.
Fatima Afridi
Feb 17, 2013 Fatima Afridi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fluid, engaging, calm, simple and real! His stories are so human in nature that one feels like witnessing a real life being spent right before her eyes.
Lucie Paris
Feb 25, 2016 Lucie Paris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting and full of food for thoughts
Sumit Anvekar
Oct 21, 2015 Sumit Anvekar rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very relatable books especially if you are from rural Indian background. Really heart-touching stories. Not all stories have happy endings.
Paramita
Sep 23, 2010 Paramita rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
the best short stories ever written... brushes with accuracy all emotions of humankind
Raja
Jun 02, 2013 Raja rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tagore invokes emotion like no one else.
Sainaag Dhandapani
Awesome book

I picked my stars due to the wonderous and interesting stories in the book. A must read and besides, it IS free.
Dushyant Singh
ver nice bok....................................................
Amira Salleh
Jan 01, 2014 Amira Salleh rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I actually enjoys his short stories more than his poetry. Curative, depiction of model society through straight-forward criticism of the current one in context. A must-read!
  • Pather Dabi: The Right of Way
  • চাচা কাহিনী
  • Sultana's Dream
  • A Flight Of Pigeons
  • কালবেলা (অনিমেষ, #২)
Awarded the Nobel Prize in Literature in 1913 "because of his profoundly sensitive, fresh and beautiful verse, by which, with consummate skill, he has made his poetic thought, expressed in his own English words, a part of the literature of the West."

Tagore modernised Bengali art by spurning rigid classical forms and resisting linguistic strictures. His novels, stories, songs, dance-dramas, and ess
More about Rabindranath Tagore...

“Alas for our foolish human nature! Its fond mistakes are persistent. The dictates of reason take a long time to assert their own sway. The surest proofs meanwhile are disbelieved. False hope is clung to with all one's might and main, till a day comes when it has sucked the heart dry and it forcibly breaks through its bonds and departs. After that comes the misery of awakening, and then once again the longing to get back into the maze of the same mistakes.” 6 likes
“These were autumn mornings, the very time of year when kings of old went forth to conquest; and I, never stirring from my little corner in Calcutta, would let my mind wander over the whole world.” 3 likes