Start by marking “Star Trek #11: Yesterday's Son” as Want to Read:
Star Trek #11: Yesterday's Son

Star Trek #11: Yesterday's Son (Star Trek: The Original Series #11)

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  1,605 ratings  ·  58 reviews

The Romulans attack the planet Gateway, where Federation scientists are studying the Guardian of Forever -- the mysterious portal to the past.

The Starship Enterprise must protect the Guardian -- or destroy it. But Spock has already used the portal to journey to the past. On the planet Sarpedion, 5,000 years ago, Spock knew a beautiful, primitive woman. Now he has gone ba

Published September 22nd 2000 by Simon & Schuster Adult Publishing (first published August 1st 1983)

To ask other readers questions about Star Trek #11, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Star Trek #11

Buggy
Opening Line: "Captain's Personal Log Stardate 6324.09"

A while ago I caught the classic Star Trek episode All Our Yesterdays on late night TV and got sucked right into the story, as well as just how awesomely cheesy the original series is (I really have to watch it more often) Anyways, I happened to mention the episode to my long time Trekkie Mum who found this tie-in book tucked away on a dust covered shelf (amongst hundreds of others)

YESTERDAY’S SON is a continuation of sorts to that original
Zoe Blinko
A kind of legend among sci fi writers, A.C Crispin does not disappoint in this, now rather old Star Trek novel.

This ties very strongly into the being introduced in the "City at the Edge of Forever" and the character, Zarabeth, seen in "All Our Yesterdays". Spock discovers he is a daddy! The atavachron affected him to the degree that he recessed to the passionate, primitive Vulcan lifestyle prior to that of Surak's philosophical revolution. So what does it mean? He pulls! And, somewhat surprising
Killarney Traynor
"Moved me close to tears" is not something you would normally write about a Star Trek book, but A. C. Crispin's Yesterday's Son had me reaching for the tissues by the last page.

When Spock realizes that he left behind a son on the planet Sarpedion (see the 3rd season episode All Our Yesterdays, TOS), he uses the Guardion of Forever (see 1st season episode The City on the Edge of Forever, TOS ) to retrieve him. Only by the time they find the boy, Zar, he is 28, too old to be easily explained as Sp
Röbert Fenske
This well written story felt like returning back to the original series as the author portrays the crew of the Enterprise wonderfully.

It was entertaining to see Spock attempt to be a father to Zar, a son he has never knew existed. This is the beauty of the characters portrayals. As Spock struggles to teach his son the Vulcan ways, Kirk and McCoy act as a counter-balance.

Although there is a high-stakes incident with the Romulans, this story is driven more by the character interactions with Zar.
Michael
A. C. Crispin's Yesterday's Son, narrated by Leonard Nimoy and James Doohan,

A wonderful story about how Spock discovers he has a son on the planet, Sarpeidon. , he uses the Guardion of Forever to retrieve him. Only by the time they find the boy, Zar, he is in his late 20's, too old to be easily explained as Spock's son. As the two newly-found family struggles to bond, a Romulan attack threatens the Guardian - and the galaxy as the crew knows it.

This was A. C. Crispin's first novel and it is an
Jeff
I thought I'd like this more than I did... As I rather like the episode it's based on (all our yesterdays).

I think what really holds me back from enjoying this book more are three things:
1) for much of the book the plot just kinda meanders with no real sense of urgency or goal.

2) I don't really like spock's son. Or his mary sue mind hax powers.

3) The characterizations of the Romulans were WAAAAYY off. They were portrayed as a primitive, stupid, and savage species....

Still there were good pa
Aron
I thought this book was just about average, maybe slightly above. But average ST novels to me are pretty good. I love ST novels & have really only read a couple that I just didn't like. I did a little research before reading this book & learned that this was Crispin's fist ST novel. That being said i was pretty impressed,...she wrote the characters perfectly & it was apparent she was very well versed in ST. This was a good story in its own right but the fact that it was a continuatio ...more
Fogrider
YESTERDAY'S SON is a quality piece of Trek history. The book is satisfying for the causal Trek fan and the hard core fan alike. The characters are captured in perfect detail. Crispin is known for meticulous attention to detail. I have read many of her works and have enjoyed every one of them. I just wish other Trek writers would take lessons from her and her ability to nail the protagonists perfectly. I read this while on vacation, and it made the trip even better. Fantastic book!
David
Really quite enjoyed reading my first Star Trek novel. I loved Mr. Spock's son who is introduced here. Not so hot on the novel's resolution which like most series episodes resets the status quo. Went back and forth picturing in my head both the original crew and the Abrams-verse crews. The novel itself was well done. Just like an Original Series episode. Under 200 pages. Loved that. Love short novels! I think I'll try a few more of these Star Trek novels as we sure are short on on-screen materia ...more
Scott Williams
This was A.C. Crispin's first novel and it's great! The concept is one that only a true Trekkie could have come up with. It's something that the Pocket Books editors would never allow today but in these early days of Trek novels it somehow slipped past.

My principle criticism of this novel is that it is too short. I could have read more..
Aaron Scott
While the original five year mission only lasted three years on our TV sets, this left a lot of time unaccounted for that could be added to with novels and comic books. A really nice swift, light read, this Trek novel ties in with classic episodes "All Our Yesterdays" and "The City on the Edge of Forever" to create a compelling, sometimes funny, sometimes touching story of Spock discovering a son that lives in another planet and in another time.

It is odd that the cover shows Spock circa the eigh
Rebecca
I'm totally enjoying all my tie-in-novel episode rewatches. (Largely because it makes even the most plot-hole riddled books shine in comparison!) This book is pretty faithful to the level of contrivance, the great Spock and McCoy character moments, and the time travel what-ifs of All Our Yesterdays. But lighter on the fannish romance and period costumes, and much heavier on the issues of family and duty, thank god. Am I the only one who was nervous the entire time Zar was on the planet - it was ...more
Mikael Kuoppala
A.C. Crispin started her long and productive career with a streamlined and compact novel. In “Yesterday’s Son” she takes the classic Star Trek episodes “City on the Edge of Forever” and “All Our Yesterdays” and creates a solid continuations to those tales.

The tale is rather simple in structure, but the focus is clearly and thankfully in prose and character instead of plot twists and narrative gimmicks. We get to follow an original character go through a revolutionary changes in life and this sma
Kelly N Gibbs
I read quite a few of these when I was younger, before Star Trek The Next Generation satisfied my Star Trek obession. This is the only one of two that I can remember reading.
Surreysmum
[These notes were made in 1983:]. Altogether one of the best ST novels I've read. Literate, with a good grasp of plot development & characterization, it deals with Spock & emotion without going goo-goo-eyed over the whole thing. The plot is directly based on the "Library" episode, Spock's prehistoric inamorata being supposed to have borne him a son (a very unVulcan one, except for the ears). A trip back thru' time retrieves this son, long enough for him to help in a campaign against the ...more
Mike Doyle
I love how the TOS episode Time for Yesterday was expanded with this novel.
Bradley
Not too bad so Star Trek stories go. =) Pass this one on. =)
Ruben
This is like a short and well written Star Trek episode despite some plot holes and that I miss at least one episode where Spock tries to convince the comitte to let him use the Guardian. Still a very entertaining book.
Kati
I usually don't like original characters in tie-in novels but Zar was amazing. Actually, he was so amazing that if there was a book just about him and his adventures, I would read it! But the ending made me cry. I literally bawled like a child. I mean, I was happy for Zar, I was happy that he found a purpose in his life and that Spock understood and let him go. At the same time... just remembering the last scene, the pictures Zar left to Spock... And yup, I'm bawling again.

This was, hands down,
Bev
I loved the early classic Trek novels. Some were admittedly, a little too fan-fictiony, but the fans loved this show and didn't want the stories to stop. The passion for the characters and Roddenberry vision almost always came through. Sometimes better than others. This is terrific. A C Crispin takes a very good moment from an original episode (Spock & Zarabeth) and plays "what happened next?"--from Zarabeth's side of the story. And does an terrific job.
Mrklingon
Good book connecting to the original series and building. As the late A.C. Crispin's over-the-transom success and beginning of a career, it's delightful.

I enjoyed listening to the abridgement of a book I enjoyed years ago - and now am enjoying it's sequel. With the passing on of Leonard Nimoy, it's also a treat to hear him give voice to the inimitable Mr. Spock.
Jose
Supposedly this was Ann's first book, and its a very nice start to her writing career. The story was believable, used the concept of one of the last episodes on TOS and drove in a completely new story.
Very gripping, i read through it in two days with ease.
Its picture of Spock with its hidden (or suppressed) emotions is well portrayed and the ending was unexpected.
I may look up other works of AC Crispin to see if they're this enjoyable.
Chelsea
So far this is my favorite Star Trek novel. I was very excited to read this book after I realized that it was a 'continuation' of the episode "All Our Yesterdays." I felt that this novel was very faithful to that episode, the characters, and Star Trek in general. I was happy to learn more about Vulcans and their family life. This book brought the right mix of action, suspense, and Vulcans to life for me. A very very good read.
Daniel Kukwa
One of the first Star Trek novels I ever read...and it had to be the one that revealed Spock had a son with Zarabeth, from "All Our Yesterdays". Talk about shredding a young boy's imagination! These days, it seems too short for its ambitious premise...but it held this 11 year old in a solid vice grip of geeky rapture. It also leads to an even better sequel...that takes advantage of a greater page count.
Kenneth Flusche
Ann R.I.P. I admit it I'm Star wars not Star Treck but since I loved how Ann gave emotions and humanity to Han Solo with her passing I need to read everything of hers in the Norfolk Library System. This paper back from storage was beat up but all the pages was there and it was read in less than a week-end. Brought back memories of the TV show and gave Mr. Spock a little character.
Jana Babáčková
Every ST fan loves it - maybe because of Original Series, maybe because of Spock hidden emotions, his woman in love & his son... but this book makes me sad. There are a lot of better books about Vulcan and their lives like "Vulcan Academy Murders", there is no reason for writing time travel stories when we wants to know something about them (or about Spock).
Erin
Excellent! For some reason, it reminded me a little of The Hunger Games - just the way it was framed, and the battle scenes and hiding out it caves and such. But, obviously, to me, better than The Hunger Games. I liked Spock's evolving relationship with his son, and the ending. Oh, the ending! I see that there's a sequel to this book, and now I'm going to read it.
Jonathan
Part of my Star Trek novel binge. Read this. Thought it would be interesting. I was wrong. It is a sequel to a rather lackluster Star Trek episode. It pretty much goes nowhere and does nothing. There are Romulans but they are just filler for "Space Baddies". Rather bland.
Heather Domin
This is a short and exciting read; the premise is right up my alley, and it's handled well (though I think I might have screamed if I saw "the younger man" repeated one more time). Really liked Zar, his arc and resolution. Looking forward to reading the sequel.
  • The IDIC Epidemic
  • Black Fire
  • Uhura's Song
  • My Enemy, My Ally (Star Trek: Rihannsu, #1)
  • Ishmael (Star Trek: The Original Series, #23)
  • Final Frontier
  • Mindshadow
  • Strangers from the Sky
  • The Entropy Effect (Star Trek TOS #2)
  • Web of the Romulans
  • The Kobayashi Maru
  • Crisis on Centaurus
  • Vulcan's Forge
  • The Tears of the Singers
  • The Pandora Principle
  • Dreams of the Raven
  • The Rift
A.C. Crispin, a best-selling science fiction and fantasy author who wrote tie-in novels for the “Star Wars” franchise and a prequel providing the back story for the popular movie series “Pirates of the Caribbean,” died Sept. 6, 2013 at the Hospice of Charles County in Waldorf. She was 63.

Ann Carol Crispin was an American science fiction writer, the author of over twenty published novels. She wrote
More about A.C. Crispin...

Star Trek: The Original Series (1 - 10 of 112 books)
  • Star Trek I: The Motion Picture (Star Trek TOS: Movie Novelizations, #1)
  • The Entropy Effect (Star Trek TOS #2)
  • The Klingon Gambit
  • The Covenant of the Crown
  • The Prometheus Design
  • The Abode of Life
  • Star Trek II: The Wrath Of Khan (Star Trek TOS: Movie Novelizations, #2)
  • Black Fire
  • Triangle
  • Web of the Romulans
The Paradise Snare (Star Wars: The Han Solo Trilogy, #1) Rebel Dawn (Star Wars: The Han Solo Trilogy, #3) The Hutt Gambit (Star Wars: The Han Solo Trilogy, #2) Sarek Time for Yesterday (Star Trek: The Yesterday Saga, #2)

“No — other men's eye's don't do anything for me, I'm afraid." Sulu grinned.” 0 likes