Start by marking “Star Trek: The Classic Episodes, Vol. 1 - The 25th-Anniversary Editions” as Want to Read:
Star Trek: The Classic Episodes, Vol. 1 - The 25th-Anniversary Editions

Star Trek: The Classic Episodes, Vol. 1 - The 25th-Anniversary Editions (Star Trek: The Classic Episodes #1)

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  125 ratings  ·  9 reviews
In the twenty-five years since it premiered on network television, bringing in the planets of the Federation and the voyages of the Starship Enterprise into America's living rooms and the national consciousness, Star Trek has become a worldwide phenomenon, crossing generations and cultures in its enduring universal appeal. Now, in celebration of Star Trek's twenty-fifth an ...more
Published September 1st 1991 by Spectra (first published August 1st 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Star Trek, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Star Trek

Bill
Since my parents refused to own a television, I had read all of Blish's star trek episode adaptations, as a teenager, before I had ever seen them on television.

I loved all the characters, Spock, Kirk, Bones and Scotty and the dynamics between them before I ever knew what they actually looked like. For me, the television series and movies were never able to live up to Blish's rendition of them.
Brian
Goodreads rating: 3 out of 5 (I liked it!)

I’ve been a fan of the original Star Trek since I first saw it as a kid in the 70’s. My earliest memory of the show is “Arena”, one of the better known episodes, in which Kirk is forced to fight a duel with a reptilian alien. For a 4-year-old it was kind of scary and intense…and I was forever hooked.

But let’s face it, Star Trek was not great science fiction. There was a whole lot that was just plain silly in a typical Star Trek script (and I’m not referr
Norm
This is the first of a 3-volume set, which neatly re-organizes the original 12 Bantam paperbacks, one book per season. These stories, most of them written by James Blish (with a few written by his wife, after his passing) are straight-forward, stripped-down adaptations of the original episodes, although Blish gradually fleshed them out a bit as he went along. Some readers may find them too sparse, but I like them for just that reason.

Production notes and a photograph accompany each story. There
John
This is a collection of short stories based on the first draft of the shooting scripts of the first year of TOS. It is interesting what made the taping and what did not.
Charles
This is an omnibus edition of Blish's novelizations/storyizations of the original Star Trek episodes. Sometimes they are slightly different from the final episode since they were written from shooting scripts as I understand. Although I enjoyed them, it's because of the tie in with the TV series episodes. The writing here is fairly workmanlike and this is really bare bones kind of work.

There are 3 volumes of this omnibus edition.
Michael Hanscom
Blish's adaptations of the original episodes are an entertaining read, in large part because they were adapted not from the finished episodes, but from in-progress scripts, and often veer from the story as we know it; sometimes subtly (characters with different names), sometimes wildly (entirely different resolutions). An interesting peek into the early days of Star Trek, when much was still in flux.
Maria
I first read these stories when I was 11 and these are what got me into Star trek. They are the stories of the original episodes and they are so much better to read than to watch. You are not distracted by naff special effects, your own imagination has no limits and so the stories really come alive. I would recommend these books to any Si-Fi fan, they are brilliant!
Barbara
Dec 18, 2013 Barbara rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone who loves Star Trek
Generally, I'm not a fan of short stories but these were very well done. It was great getting some of my favorite Star Trek stories expanded.
Curtiss
The first 4 of James Blish's STar Trek episode sets, gathered into one mammoth 25th Anniversary Volume.
Stacey
Stacey marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2015
Anna
Anna marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2015
Christopher A Flores
Christopher A Flores marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2015
Mothman
Mothman marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2015
Caprice Procarione
Caprice Procarione marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2015
Chadwick Craig
Chadwick Craig marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2015
Jennifer Eicher
Jennifer Eicher marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2015
Oliver
Oliver marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Incorrect page numbering 4 159 Dec 27, 2012 04:05PM
  • Star Trek Log Four (Star Trek: Logs, #4)
  • Traitor Winds (Star Trek: The Lost Years, #3)
  • Final Frontier
  • The Cry of the Onlies
  • Mind Meld
  • Foreign Foes (Star Trek: The Next Generation #31)
  • Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country (Star Trek TOS: Movie Novelizations, #6)
  • Shadows on the Sun
  • The Patrian Transgression
  • The Rift
  • Mudd in Your Eye
  • Star Trek Compendium Rev/Ed
  • Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home (Star Trek TOS: Movie Novelizations, #4)
James Benjamin Blish (East Orange, New Jersey, May 23, 1921 – Henley-on-Thames, July 30, 1975) was an American author of fantasy and science fiction. Blish also wrote literary criticism of science fiction using the pen-name William Atheling Jr.

In the late 1930's to the early 1940's, Blish was a member of the Futurians.

Blish trained as a biologist at Rutgers and Columbia University, and spent 1942–
More about James Blish...

Star Trek: The Classic Episodes (3 books)
  • Star Trek: The Classic Episodes, Vol. 2 - The 25th-Anniversary Editions
  • Star Trek: The Classic Episodes, Vol. 3 - The 25th Anniversary Editions
Cities in Flight (Cities in Flight, #1-4) A Case of Conscience (After Such Knowledge, #4) They Shall Have Stars (Cities in Flight, #1) Star Trek 1 Spock Must Die! (Star Trek Adventures, #1)