Start by marking “Zombies Don't Cry (Living Dead Love Story, #1)” as Want to Read:
Zombies Don't Cry (Living Dead Love Story, #1)

Zombies Don't Cry (Living Dead Love Story #1)

3.51  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,362 Ratings  ·  305 Reviews
Maddy Swift is just a normal girl—a high school junior surviving class with her best friend and hoping the yummy new kid, Stamp, will ask her out. When he finally does, her whole life changes.

Sneaking out to meet Stamp at a party one rainy night, Maddy is struck by lightning. After awakening, she feels lucky to be alive. Over time, however, Maddy realizes that she’s become
Paperback, 1st Edition, 371 pages
Published May 1st 2011 by Medallion Press (first published March 24th 2011)

World War Z by Max BrooksThe Zombie Survival Guide by Max BrooksThe Walking Dead, Vol. 01 by Robert KirkmanFeed by Mira GrantPride and Prejudice and Zombies by Seth Grahame-Smith
Zombies!
201st out of 1,371 books — 3,884 voters
The Fault in Our Stars by John GreenSlammed by Colleen HooverEasy by Tammara WebberMy Life Next Door by Huntley FitzpatrickThe Boy Who Sneaks in My Bedroom Window by Kirsty Moseley
TO DIE FOR 2012 - 2013 STAND-ALONES continued
58th out of 256 books — 697 voters

More lists with this book...

Ashley - The Bookish Brunette
Epic awesomeness. Epic.

First- I have to mention some of the crazy fabulous chapter titles of this book!

Chapter 6- You Might Be A Zombie If...
Chapter 10- The Proper Care and Feeding of Zombies
Chapter 11- The Zombie Pledge
Chapter 17- Jock Blocked
Chapter 30- A Pimp Called Death

A Pimp Called Death? WIN. I mean really... It just doesn't get any more badass than that okay?

Maddy Swift is the epitome of freaking spectacular. She is delightfully witty and entertaining, she is filled to the brim with
Evie
May 13, 2011 Evie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Rusty Fischer is officially my new hero! The story he created is simply phenomenal. Original and so unbelievably fun to read, it's a MUST-HAVE not only for every Zombie fan out there, but for anyone who loves great YA paranormal/horror books with amazing sense of humor.

Maddy is a super likable character. She’s more or less an ordinary teenage girl, who doesn’t wear tons of make-up and prefers khaki pants over flashy dresses. She might not be the most popular girl in school, but she gets by ju
Becky
I picked this book up expecting it to be a funny read, with a little bit of horror and romance tossed in. What I got was a pretty flat book with a sudden and abrupt turn at the end of the novel. And sadly, despite what the subject matter might lead you to expect, there's very little horror in the book at all.

First, the good: the zombie explanation. In this world, zombies are created through electrical currents. If you get electrocuted and die, the electrical current can bring you back as a zombi
Trisha Wolfe
Mar 14, 2011 Trisha Wolfe rated it it was amazing
Okay, so I open my mailbox and see a review book for Zombies Don’t Cry, and I have no idea what to expect. I read the first chapter and think, “is this author for real?”. Then I keep reading. Then I’m soon flying through the pages, laughing, talking to myself and the characters, and thoroughly enjoying myself. Rusty Fischer is an amazingly talented author. His writing style is clean, clear, smart, and fun.

Seventeen-year-old Maddy Swift is an awesome character. I easily related to her. The though
Jodie
Apr 19, 2011 Jodie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
Rusty has presented us with a real 'stiff' of a story, creating a tale in which you aren't sure if you should laugh uncontrollably or take pity on the main character. You have good humor and seriousness combined. Putting that combination into one book isn't easy. Rusty has came out with remarkable talent and left me wanting to read more of his work!

Maddy is just like you and me. Normal. Yet, in her Home Ec class people seem to be dying. Quite weird. Maddy's best friend Hazel thinks it's cursed.
Lyndsey O'Halloran
Nov 18, 2012 Lyndsey O'Halloran rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya
I had wanted to read this book for so long, since the author did a guest post on my old blog a long time ago. I love zombie books and this one sounded really different. At the time though, this wasn’t being published in the UK so I’ve had a really long wait for this one.

Zombies Don’t Cry is told from main character Maddy’s point of view, beginning with a short chapter which is set after the events which happen in the rest of the book. Maddie is your average teenage girl trying to get through hi
Lillie
My Review:
ZOMBIES DON'T CRY was the first zombie novel that I have ever read. Yes, I did just say that. Honestly, the thought of zombies kind of creep me out. They're not pretty undead like vampires, and they don't have hot looking abs like shapeshifters. They are not heroes to me. They are the things that you kill. At least, that's what I thought until I read this book. Rusty Fischer made me like zombies, because his have heart and humor, and most of all, they don't eat brains. Well, they do, b
Lucinda
Dec 01, 2012 Lucinda rated it it was amazing
A fantastic Young Adult paranormal thriller that sends Goosebumps down your spine, as you are thrust into a world of living dead!!

This outstanding book is the most exciting read that I have encountered this year, which with its own originality and distinctiveness it takes this genre to new heights. I am so impressed by Rusty Fischer, who’s accomplished and wonderfully descriptive writing really captured my imagination, taking it on the most electrifying ride that was both atmospheric and spine-
Bonnie (Words at Home Blog)
Aug 02, 2011 Bonnie (Words at Home Blog) rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2011
Originally posted at: http://www.handsandhome.ca/2011/08/zo...

I don’t know what took me so long to jump on the Zombie bandwagon but have I ever been missing out! Not only have I been missing out on this fantastic sub-genre, but I have been missing out on Rusty Fischer’s hilariously quirky and engaging writing style. I truly did not expect that a book about zombies would make me laugh as hard as it did while at the same time pulling at my emotions.

The thing about Zombies Don’t Cry that really co
Lea
OK, so-- this book was pretty much fa-reaking awesome. Now, I'll be totally honest-- zombies? Not so much my fave paranormal creature. But this book-- the story, the characters, the dialog-- I don't know which one I liked more. Zombies Don't Cry was so much fun to read, and I'm really glad I decided to pick this one up as my first ever zombie-themed book!

Maddy Swift is just your typical high-school girl. She's not popular, but she's not an outcast, she's not gorgeous, but she's not ugly-- just a
Candace
May 09, 2011 Candace rated it really liked it
This ended up a fabulous read. The characters were great, the writing was awesome and the story line was intriguing. I wasn't exactly sure what to expect. I'm not a huge zombie fan, but it's mostly just because of the ideas of zombies. I haven't read many zombie books and I've actually enjoyed all that I have. So far.

I thought this was going to be a sort of ridiculous funny. And it was. But it got pretty serious, far more serious then I ever expected. It all worked together, but it wasn't what I
Anni Chan
Mar 12, 2016 Anni Chan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kurzbeschreibung

Durch einen Blitzschlag wird Maddie zum Zombie. Gut, dass auch Zombies lieben können. Weniger gut, dass es auch böse Zombies gibt, gegen die ein Kampf entbrennt …

In der verschlafenen Kleinstadt Barracuda Bay führt Maddy Swift ein ganz normales Teenagerleben - sie mogelt sich zusammen mit ihrer besten Freundin so durch die Highschool und hofft, dass sich ihr neuer Mitschüler, der gut aussehende Stamp, einmal mit ihr verabredet. Als er das dann endlich tut, ändert sich auf einen Sc
Charlotte
Jun 06, 2011 Charlotte rated it it was amazing
The cover is totally...well, not right. The cover makes it seem so serious and dark and Twilightly, the book is so NOT. It was hilarious. I'm pretty sure that if I wasn't in school while I was reading this, that I would have literally been on the ground rolling around and laughing.

Yeah. That good.
Alyssa Snyder
Jun 12, 2011 Alyssa Snyder rated it really liked it
Hands down this was the best zombie book ever. There was never a dull moment, and it even had be laugh a couple of times. I hope to see a sequel!
Rebecca
Feb 27, 2012 Rebecca rated it really liked it
A cute zombie book where the female main character isn't fleeing from the zombies, she is one. Maddy is the classic preppy high school student with good grades and a popular friend, Hazel. Then she gets struck by lightning one night and turns into a zombie. She's not the only one in her town. Chloe and Dane are zombies too, they wear Goth clothing and eat sheep brains. Bones and Dahlia are Zerkers -- the eat the brains of the kids in their Home Economics class. Zombies and Zerkers have a truce s ...more
Deborah
May 21, 2011 Deborah rated it it was amazing
INITIAL REVIEW:
I never thought I'd feel so much empathy for a zombie.

Maddy is a fairly regular teenaged girl before she's struck by a bolt of lightning. Afterward, she's anything but "Normal."

Fortunately, Maddy has a couple of zombie mentors to help guide her through the ropes of early zombiedom. Unfortunately, those zombie mentors have to time-share their attention between Maddy and some not-so-friendly zombie "Zerkers."

This tale is both sweet and sassy, with an occasional dash of melancholy
Sara
Feb 08, 2012 Sara rated it really liked it
Ok, so I will admit I don't read a lot of young adult books, nor do I ever read zombie books. I only read this based on the opinion of my equally-book-loving friend. I'm pretty sure this is how out conversation went:

Friend: So I'm reading this great zombie book, its awesome!
Me: Yeah, I don't do zombies.
Friend: I know! Me neither! But its SO good!
Me: K, I'll think about it.

And low and behold, one week later it was a free ebook, so I say what the heck and give it a try. Turns out I LOVE it!!! Its
Jenny
Jul 05, 2011 Jenny rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2011
First of all, I think whoever wrote the back cover synopsis should be fired. If the author wrote it, I'm sorry, Rusty! I love you but I would have missed this one if it weren't for the book tour! There is so much more to this book than what was there. Maddy is hilarious from start to finish. Her upbeat, often acerbic observations diminish the hard edge of what has happened to her and how sad it could really be in reality. Seeing zombie life through her eyes is at times completely amusing (crazy ...more
Missy (Two Readers Reviews)
May 19, 2011 Missy (Two Readers Reviews) rated it it was amazing
Shelves: i-own, favorites
Wow people! Rusty Fischer has officially become one of my favorite authors! Zombies Don't Cry was such a fun, hilarious take on a zombie world. If I had been able, I would have totally read this in one sitting. I carried it with me everywhere and read it every single second I got even if it was only a page!

A few chapters into the book we find out that zombies are "created" after some sort of electrical shock. Such is the case for Maddy when she is struck by lightning. The thing is that they are
Marrion James (The Book Associate)
Apr 18, 2011 Marrion James (The Book Associate) rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc
I've been keeping my eyes on this book for quite sometime now and I finally got myself an ARC for a review. I was surprised receiving this mail, I was hysterical! lol! Anyway, I finished this book last Saturday and today I am posting my review regarding to this awesome book. Let's start shall we?

The Plot. The storyline obviously related to zombies. The first thing will pop into our minds that, it is just another mindless eating humans. Actually, this book is way more beyond that. I usually watch
Franci Karou Cat
Oct 23, 2012 Franci Karou Cat rated it liked it
Recensione completa qui:http://leggendariamente.blogspot.it/2...

Ho cominciato a leggere "Gli zombie non piangono" perchè: 1) avevo davvero voglia di qualcosa di diverso, di una lettura fresca, allegra, lontana dai generi che leggo ultimamente; 2) la copertina del libro mi fa letteralmente impazzire (anche se io ho l'ebook... vabbè, dettagli!:P) e 3) volevo constatare quanto realmente fosse carino questo romanzo che stanno praticamente leggendo tutti ed elogiando. Ebbene, non ne ho sbagliata una!
A Book Vacation
May 29, 2011 A Book Vacation rated it really liked it
Wow! I. Love. This. Book. You need to drop everything and read it right now! Fischer is a very talented writer and I loved his zombie explanations! He’s taken this genre and really made it come alive (no pun intended). Most zombie books are about killing off zombies, but Fischer has created a novel in which the reader obtains an up front view of what it is like to be a zombie, and this was a very refreshing look at such a popular genre!

I feel like in movies, and books, we never really get the t
Kori
Aug 27, 2012 Kori rated it did not like it
Shelves: paranormal
Ugh. I'm sorry, but I hated this book. It is likely one of the most ridiculous teen novels I have read to date - and I work at a library, so I do a ton of reading.

The characters depressed me. There was no depth to them and not much development occured throughout the course of the story. I thought the style of writing fell more into 'J Fic' instead of 'YA Supernatural' (meaning it was very juvenile to me and belonged downstairs on the lower floor with all the kids' books). I didn't feel this book
Daniela Barisone
Oct 25, 2012 Daniela Barisone rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recensione: Questo è uno di quei libri talmente imbarazzanti da farti urlare "perché ho gli occhi?". Davvero, se non avessi esaurito da tempo le mie lacrime su libri altrettanto penosi, a questo punto starei piangendo sangue.

"Gli zombi non piagono" è però anche il paraGNormal romance che aspettavo da tempo: quello che dopo i vampiri, dopo gli angeli, dopo i demoni, dopo le puzzole... sì vabbé avete capito. Quello che avrebbe coinvolto gli zombie. Zombie adolescenti, per essere precisi.

Perché si
Chiara
Nov 02, 2012 Chiara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

"Gli zombi non piangono" è il primo volume di una duologia dedicata agli zombi scritta da Rusty Fisher.
Questo è il mio primo libro sugli zombi quindi ero abbastanza curiosa di leggere questo libro con una creatura paranormale di cui non ho mai letto niente.
Eppure dal titolo, dalla trama e dalla copertina non avevo capito che era così divertente!
Mi è piaciuto molto il prologo. E' da lì che mi sono incuriosita continuandolo a leggere.
La storia narra di quest
Ginevra
Nov 03, 2012 Ginevra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
AL MOMENTO TI BATTE IL CUORE?
NO. Neanche un po’.
IMPROVVISAMENTE HAI UN’ISPIEGABILE, IRRESISTIBILE VOGLIA DI MANGIARE... CERVELLI?
Mmm, non saprei ma… ora che mi ci fate pensare… effettivamente… SI. Assolutamente. SI.
ATTENZIONE:
Le risposte che hai fornito suggeriscono che POTRESTI essere uno zombi.

E’ questo il modo in cui Maddy Swift scopre di essere una morta vivente o meglio una non-morta.
Maddy è una studentessa di liceo abbastanza imbranata che ha sempre vissuto all’ombra della sua migliore am
Lucrezia Scali
Oct 19, 2012 Lucrezia Scali rated it really liked it
Niente respiro…
Niente battiti del cuore…
solo un corpo pallido e freddo…
come ti sentiresti se di colpo ti svegliassi così?

Chiediamolo a Maddy, una normale adolescente che la sera dove forse poteva scoppiare l’amore con il ragazzo nuovo della scuola, un fulmine ha deciso di colpirla.
E si, tra tanti posti ha scelto di prendere in pieno proprio lei, al centro della sua testa lasciandole un bel buco , con tanto di contorno di capelli bruciacchiati, difficile da nascondere !!
Maddy si risveglia confus
..Mary..
Dec 10, 2012 ..Mary.. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Non ho letto tantissimo sugli zombie, solo Warm bodies, quindi quando ho preso in mano, la versione ebook di "gli zombi non piangono", non sapevo cosa aspettarmi.
Avevo letto tantissime recensioni, a proposito di questo libro, tutte o quasi, positive. Quindi ho iniziato questa storia con grande curiosità e aspettative.
Maddy è una ragazza normalissima, che frequenta il liceo, forseun pò imbranata, e che si è presa una cotta per Stamp il nuovo arrivato.
Finalmente Stamp, la invita ad una festa, ma n
Francy
May 14, 2016 Francy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dopo averlo adocchiato in libreria i miei amici hanno pensato bene di regalarmi questo libro.
Sinceramente mi aspettavo che facesse più ridere. Non che la storia sia brutta, sia chiaro, solo che mi aspettavo qualcosa di un po' diverso. :/
Maddy fa abbastanza ridere, ma non mi sono affezionata più di tanto a lei. Mi dispiace per lo Stampo (come chiamo io Stamp), ma preferisco di gran lunga Dane. Hazel non la sopporto proprio e alla fine mi è dispiaciuto per Chloe.
Megan
Dec 28, 2015 Megan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
INSIDE A BOOK: Gli zombi non piangono di Rusty Fischer 1 4 Oct 18, 2012 11:49AM
  • From the Ashes
  • Meet the Annas: A Musical Novel
  • Summer of Fire (Yellowstone, #1)
  • Moscow Sting (Anna Resnikov, #2)
  • The Devil's Cradle (Kendall O'Dell #2)
  • I Used to Know That: Stuff You Forgot from School
  • Dead Politician Society (Clare Vengel Undercover, #1)
  • The Hunt
  • Temptation (Texas Cattleman's Club: The Showdown #5)
  • First, There Is a River (Spirit of the River, #1)
  • A World I Never Made
  • County Line
  • Winston's War (Winston Churchill #1)
  • Raven Strike (Dreamland, #13)
  • Heart of the Witch
  • Don't Know Much About Mythology: Everything You Need to Know About the Greatest Stories in Human History but Never Learned
  • I Kissed a Zombie, and I Liked It
  • Pets in a Pickle
Rusty Fischer is the author of several YA supernatural novels, including Zombies Don't Cry, Ushers, Inc., Becca Bloom & the Drumsticks of Doom and Panty Raid @ Zombie High.
More about Rusty Fischer...

Living Dead Love Story (3 books)
  • Zombies Don't Forgive (Living Dead Love Story, #2)
  • Zombies Don't Surrender (Living Dead Love Story, #3)

“You know, surprisingly, they don't sell a lot of brains in the local 24-hour grocery store around the corner from my house.” 22 likes
“I look at her and ask, flat out, "What's up?" Girl talk, of course, for, Back off my man, biotch.” 15 likes