Start by marking “Point Deception (Cape Perdido, #1)” as Want to Read:
Point Deception (Cape Perdido, #1)

Point Deception (Cape Perdido #1)

3.68 of 5 stars 3.68  ·  rating details  ·  585 ratings  ·  36 reviews
The body of an woman washes up near Point Deception, California--a day after she was spotted near her broken-down car on the highway. Deputy Sheriff Rhoda Swift worries the woman's brutal rape and murder will resurrect fears from the unsolved massacre of two families 13 years before. When Rhoda investigates with journalist Guy Newberry, a shocking truth will test how far s ...more
Published May 1st 2002 by Grand Central Publishing (first published July 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Point Deception, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Point Deception

Barry Martin Vass
This is an excellent stand-alone mystery by the award-winning author of the Sharon McCone private-eye novels set in San Francisco. In the remote, Northern California coastal community of Point Deception (so named because in the late 1800's smugglers and bootleggers used to put lanterns on the long spit of land to deceive the local authorities while they unloaded their cargo in a prearranged isolated cove), a young woman, a complete stranger, is found murdered, her body washing up on shore. And i ...more
aPriL does feral sometimes
An emotionally complex character-driven mystery. Sheriff's deputy Rhoda Swift's territory is Northern California along the coast and the communities she patrols are spread out and thinly populated. Summer tourists and rich people who own summer homes are all that is keeping the few open businesses going. A massacre of two families that took place near Point Deception thirteen years previously has seriously poisoned the spirit of the year-around locals as well, so they have nothing to fight the e ...more
This one was fun. In the front of the book is a map of "Soledad County" which sits on the Northern California coast between Humboldt and Mendocino. At the north end of the County there is Oilville, obviously Petrolia, at the south end is Westhaven, the coast road is 1 and over on the inland side winds Highway 101, through the redwoods. A few familiar names like Castle Rock and Eel River, and there you have the setting.

Muller does a great job evoking the North Coast folks, including the dope gro
I liked this one, not sure I will hunt down the author again though. The interaction between Rhoda and Guy was nice, their l'love potential' was not slammed over your head. I liked the flashbacks to Chrystal's findings. It really helped you learn more. I did not like some of the climax on who did what. But it was interesting to figure out how the current mysteries tied to the massacre 13 years prior.
I honestly didn't give the slightest care about any of the characters until I was over halfway done with this book. I kept reading until that point mostly out of stubbornness and a need to unravel the plot. That being said, I don't regret sticking it out. The plot was intricate, the ending was reasonably satisfying, and the characters turned out to have some depth after all, even if they still weren't exactly interesting.
Kirsty Darbyshire
This non McCone mystery got off to a bit of a slow start for me. I wondered whether this was because it isn't part of the long running McCone series and therefore possibly different from what I was subconciously expecting but I've also read (ok, devoured) all Muller's other books that I could get my hands on including those featuring Elena Oliverez and Joanna Stark so I am aware that Muller can write other stuff too. I think it's the billing as a "thriller" that had set me thinking down the wron ...more
In a brand new series from Marcia Muller, she told us a cryptic tale in Point Deception, the first book in the Point Deception trilogy series. In this mystery, we were introduced to Rhoda Swift, the local deputy in this fictional Sonoma County town. She was haunted by the thirteen-year-old murders of two families that haven't been solved. On the anniversary, she believed the anniversary had created a new crime spree, when a local woman's dead body turned up on the shores of Point Deception. For ...more
Good mystery using flashbacks to tell the story of a young woman trying to find her past and a town trying to forget some horrific murders of 13 years prior.
Debra Morris
A great mystery; the characters were well developed and the plot was well constructed. I liked the small town atmosphere that the author created.
Apr 06, 2014 Eliana added it
Love Sharon McCone and her colleagues. This author never disappoints.
Picked up towards the end. Not a bad read, but have read better.
Something terrible happend in Cascada Canyon 13 years ago and Deputy Rhoda Swift was there. People in Soledad County don't talk about it much including Rhoda but that is about to change. Plagued by what happened and aided by a journalist Guy Newberry, she sets out to solve that unsolved crime as well as the resent rash of mysterious deaths. What will they find?
I thought this had a good plot with some twists and turns but the characters seemed so depressing. I actually read the 2nd book out of order years ago but don't really remember it. It might be worth rereading them in order. However I don't think the main characters are prominent (if they are in it at all) but I believe it takes place in the same area.
Sandy Weir
My friend Susan gave me a copy of this book and I found it better than I had expected. Having driving much of HWY 1, I managed to fit myself right in the precarious scene. A thriller
Steve Clark
Who knew Northern California was so violent? This book had an exceptionally high body count for a murder mystery. I liked the two main characters, an investigative reporter from New York City and the local woman who is a sheriff's deputy haunted by memories of a case she failed to solve.
Tom Schulte
Great, nearly breathless tale of the vertices of a lovers' triangle" Reed, Louise Bryant, and Eugene O'Neill. Then, that triangle and the two key pieces of Louise and Reed land in the Communist Revolution and both die young, painfully and tragically for it.
It's like an episode of CSI-paperback-novel. Solid murder mystery albeit somewhat predictable. It's an easy vacation read and did keep me on the edge of my seat. The best part was how Muller changed perspective between the main characters.
My mom has read lots of books by Marcia Muller and her husband, Bill Pronzini. I have read some of them, and they are always entertaining. This one was about mysterious happenings along the Northern Calilfornia coastline. I liked it!
Julie Carter
I enjoyed this book, and felt like it was a good mystery. I liked the way that Chrystina's story was woven in with the investigation. I am about to start "Cyanide Wells", and hope it is as enjoyable as this one was.
Joe O'c
Very Good; potentially a new series with sheriff's deputy Rhoda Swift; 13 years after 6 people were killed in a small California town, terror revisits at the same time a wrter comes to town.
Muller, Marcia- Stand alone
11 year old mass murder
This isn't part of any of her other series. Not bad. Not as good as the earlier McCone books, but better than the last 10 years' paint-by-numbers ones.
Earl Royce Hugo
A good thriller that had me turning pages back to reread the "foreshadowing"... and had me turning pages forward towards the ending.
Andy Plonka
It has been a while since I read a book by this author. This book, a new series, I think, is excellent, so I have some catching up to do.
Aug 26, 2007 Michele rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: corrine
Shelves: suspensemystery
highly recommend this author if you are a mystery fan - compelling storyline, but clean - she's just a great writer!
I'm reading this book for entertainment, not necessarily to "improve my mind". It is very entertaining.
Started slow. Turned out to be a decent read with good character development. Not my favorite.
Doris A.
An oikay read with an impossibly stupid ending. Stupid enough that I never read the author again.
eh. Not one of her better books. Skip it unless you love Marcia Muller.
  • Mission Road (Tres Navarre, #6)
  • The Snake Tattoo (A Carlotta Carlyle Mystery #2)
  • Fall Guy (Rachel Alexander & Dash, #7)
  • A Piece of Justice (Imogen Quy, #2)
  • Keeping Watch
  • The Vanished (Nameless Detective, #2)
  • High Country Fall (Deborah Knott Mysteries, #10)
  • Get Out or Die (Aurelia Marcella, #1)
  • Storm Runners
  • A Stolen Season (Alex McKnight, #7)
  • The Whole Truth (Marie Lightfoot, #1)
  • Desperate Measures (Barbara Holloway #6)
  • Highland Laddie Gone (Elizabeth MacPherson, #3)
  • Three Complete Novels: J is for Judgment / K is for Killer / L is for Lawless
A native of the Detroit area, Marcia Muller grew up in a house full of books and self-published three copies of her first novel at age twelve, a tale about her dog complete with primitive illustrations. The "reviews" were generally positive.

In the early 1970s, having moved to California, Muller found herself unemployable and began experimenting with mystery novels.

In the ensuing thirty-some years,
More about Marcia Muller...

Cape Perdido (3 books)
  • Cyanide Wells (Cape Perdido, #2)
  • Cape Perdido (Cape Perdido, #3)
Edwin of the Iron Shoes The Broken Promise Land A Wild and Lonely Place Trophies and Dead Things Burn Out